Getting-to-know-you-game: JOIN OR DIE

You can make your first post here!
bluebox-away
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

mez29 wrote: Totally depends what you're into as there is something for everyone, but if you want to start close to canon I recommend http://archiveofourown.org/works/753521 ... rs/1407407 which is generally really well written and sort of fills in the other side of the story for Deathly Hallows (it's long af tho)
Oh look I've fallen down the HP fanfic rabbit-hole again..
right before exams, of course, fantastic timing :roll: :D
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
mamaphan
delia smith

Hello to all you Loves, I am so proud of all the work you guys put into this forum. It looks so amazing.

- I have been watching Dan and Phil for over 2 years my daughter introduced me to them and I fell hard an fast.
- I am probably one of the oldest Phans and I have no shame (well maybe a little sometimes)
- I may have snuck in to meet Dan and Phil pretending I was someones parent while at playlist.
- I have met some of the most wonderful people in this phandom, I never had online friends but I am so thankful for each and every one of you.

Love and Hugs
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

i love this thread so much
the horse story is my highlight so far

i saw some sherlock/doctor who talk so i want to but join in to say that i am probably the number one torchwood stan on earth (ik it's a trash show, but it's //my// trash show full of bisexual problematic faves and i am literally on this forum trash ) and yes i've been crying for the last 5 year about it never getting another series

re:speaking english, tbh i use punctuation as i would in spanish and hope for the best , i used to be extremely self conscious about my english when posting online but after 5 years on tumblr and having loads of online friends idgaf anymore, i mean, at least i know how to speak two languages? that's not something to be ashamed of even if you're not perfect at it
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
Winterbury
squish
Pronouns: she/her • they/them

backin2009 wrote:
Winterbury wrote:i change my haircolour more often than some people change their socks. I've had brown, red, dark red, light brown, pink, pink/violet, dark brown, yellow, light blond, green-ish and ash blond hair so far.
wow so many i'm impressed :o i love changing my hair colour as well but i've only had a blonde streak when i was like 6, turquoise and now they're red-purple-blackish. my hair is naturally black and very thin and i had to cut my hair very short after i dyed them turquoise :( i'd love to have purple/violet hair but i don't wanna bleach my hair :( how do you keep your hair healthy? :o or is your hair naturally blonde so you don't have to bleach it? i'm so so jealous of people that have blonde hair, seriously you can do so much with it
it's 3 am already wtf :o
Well, I started dying my hair more than 3 years ago and after a year of constant dying (it was just red back then) my hair kind of gave up (it felt really dry and I had a ton of split ends) so I decided to cut it short and ta-da! (almost) no more problems. I have naturally pretty dark brown hair and while red and certain shades of blond manage to cover it, I had to bleach it again and again to dye it pink. (it didn't help that pink dye washes out pretty quickly) It was fun but after a while, your scalp starts to suffer so I went back to brown after 4 or 5 months. Currently, my hair is still pretty short, but I'd like to think it's also healthy-ish because whenever I feel like I've put it through too much, I put some coconut oil into it, let it stay in there for a 1/2h and wash it out. It's a lifesaver.
swofro wrote:winterbury *gasp* but I ship Stony.........
I did, too, until a certain user *glares* introduced me to this Stucky fic and it's all been going downhill since then.
daphenaxa
blobfish

so manyyy French speakers!! Salut tout le monde :D
bluebox-away I adore your icon.
also I feel excluded I never read HP fan fiction and never even felt compelled to. :lol:
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
bluebox-away
woodland creature

daphenaxa wrote:so manyyy French speakers!! Salut tout le monde :D
bluebox-away I adore your icon.
also I feel excluded I never read HP fan fiction and never even felt compelled to. :lol:
Salut and merci!
Got to have a bit of Dan as the Doctor to match my Who themed username :geek:
majitzu
angel bean

bluebox-away wrote:
mez29 wrote: Totally depends what you're into as there is something for everyone, but if you want to start close to canon I recommend http://archiveofourown.org/works/753521 ... rs/1407407 which is generally really well written and sort of fills in the other side of the story for Deathly Hallows (it's long af tho)
Oh look I've fallen down the HP fanfic rabbit-hole again..
right before exams, of course, fantastic timing :roll: :D
I am so tempted to read all the recomendations, but I will finish first the one I'm reading now and go little by little. And there goes my "I'm gonna read real books this year and less ff" determination :?
fakelights
living flop

I feel like this is the moment for one more confession...
Back in 2009 my friend made us both get a drarry t-shirt made. It says I Slash (slash being m/m pairings) with a small HD (Harry Draco) under it and in the back a little Harry and Draco drawing... I never wore it in public and never will, but it exists :|
bluebox-away
woodland creature

majitzu wrote: I am so tempted to read all the recomendations, but I will finish first the one I'm reading now and go little by little. And there goes my "I'm gonna read real books this year and less ff" determination :?
I've only finished 1 of my target 20 'real' books this year, every time I just get sucked in by fanfic instead.. :oops:
majitzu
angel bean

bluebox-away wrote:
majitzu wrote: I am so tempted to read all the recomendations, but I will finish first the one I'm reading now and go little by little. And there goes my "I'm gonna read real books this year and less ff" determination :?
I've only finished 1 of my target 20 'real' books this year, every time I just get sucked in by fanfic instead.. :oops:

Before ff era I used to read 60 books a year.

I am trying to read a 1.2k words book... I haven't touch it since january. But i finish the shinning by Stephen King
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I've probably read more words of Drarry fanfic than I have of books (actually that might be a lie) (but fanfics in general? yes) (and I've read a lot of books)
the candlelight by the crescent moon
icklebrina
living flop

Ooooh, I lurked about GG for the past couple of months, but never joined in because I didn't have a whole lot to add to all the good points already being made about D&P.

I think this place has brought all the fabulous people from there, and given it a much more welcoming experience. It feels so much more like a community now, and I totally wanna join in :P This thread is awesome, by the way, as are all of you fabulous people!

Let's see, about me...
- I found out about D&P as a result of Hillywood - prior to that I had never even heard of them. I watched their version of Hillywood's PINOF and was largely just confused, hahaha. Eventually I realized how they (and the phandom) showed up everywhere and got sucked in. (Dan's meme video helped a lot, since I had seen a few of those around and never realized what they were from - man the phandom has power)
- I am another probably asexual person who only found out about it in the last few years, felt weird about it for awhile, and then just went back on living my life. I'm excited to see there are others on the ace/aro spectrum here!
- I studied linguistics in school, and really love languages, though I'm sadly only fluent in one (my French is decent-ish, and my Korean is sadly lacking for all the time I spent there)
- I lowkey hate the question of where are you from since I never know how to answer it
(I have citizenship in three countries, and have lived in four - I usually identify most as a Canadian)
- I, too, first discovered fanfiction through Harry Potter - though Mulan was the first story as a child to seize my heart where I wanted to know what would happen next, and I used to make up stories in my head while falling asleep
swofro
angel bean

icklebrina wrote: - I, too, first discovered fanfiction through Harry Potter - though Mulan was the first story as a child to seize my heart where I wanted to know what would happen next, and I used to make up stories in my head while falling asleep
I also used to write fanfic in my head before going to sleep!! But I did it with Dragon Ball. Lol. I totally ship myself with Trunks.
Love is forever
kay
phabergé

Oof, I haven't had a chance to browse other threads here until now, I love this. Thank you for starting this topic merm we're such a cute bunch
bedhead91 wrote: -I can come across as insulting and arrogant when I'm just being sarcastic, one of the many reasons that I identify too much with Dan.
I feel you on this so much. Then it leads to people not "getting" you and writing you off. I hate that. But then for me, when someone gets my personality and it just clicks, it makes for an amazing friendship.
oqua wrote:
bluebox-away wrote: - At almost 21, I've not done anything more than make out with 1 guy once when I was 16 and am mildly terrified that I'll never find anyone to spend the rest of my life with.
Same, regarding being mildly terrified I'll never find anyone to spend the rest of my life with.

(Though I must admit, I never had any interest in dating or relationships until I started watching Dan and Phil. I don't even care if they're actually in a relationship or not. It's all about the way they look at each other. Ugh.)
I was going along just fine feeling great and confident in my singledom, then I had to go and discover D&P and now, same. Their relationship whatever it is because as you say it doesn't matter in this context makes me want more from relationships in general. Does this make sense? I'm sure it does but I don't feel like I know how to explain it. I want what they have, in a friendship or SO or otherwise.

Huh, maybe that should've been one of my facts? Anyways something I would never say in a first meeting

- I used to be SUPER into the k-pop scene in high school (back in Shinhwa/H.O.T days, that's how old I am :? ), had a 12-year-old-Dan-style web site, moderated for forums

- I used to write bandom fanfic and fell out of the scene, am slowly getting back into writing these days, 2016 was the first time I posted my writing to AO3 in years and I had a full on panic attack once I did

- What I know about gaming you could fit into a thimble (The last console video game I ever played was on a Playstation 2) but I could watch let's plays for hours and hours especially this one and its sequel

- I once called out sick when I first got into D&P because I was up all night reading/watching the past and didn't sleep all night

- I've only just developed anxiety in the last couple of years which I'm still trying to understand how to deal with which is also why I don't post that often as I tend to think I have nothing significant to add to the conversation

- As I'm reading each page of this thread in a separate tab the layout keeps changing lol

This was oddly therapeutic
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Well if we're on the fanfic train:
- Back in my heyday, I was a rather prolific jonas brothers fan fic writer.

- I can't bring myself to unfollow this one zalfie tumblr i accidentally followed.
- i stole a barbie hairdryer from my pre-school when i was a child and it still haunts me 20 years later.
angrymob
hobbit hair

icklebrina wrote: - I studied linguistics in school, and really love languages, though I'm sadly only fluent in one (my French is decent-ish, and my Korean is sadly lacking for all the time I spent there)
I studied Ling too, but heading more into CompLing. Ah, having to constantly explain to people that you don't actually speak 1278368 different languages.
achika wrote:
oqua wrote:
bluebox-away wrote: - At almost 21, I've not done anything more than make out with 1 guy once when I was 16 and am mildly terrified that I'll never find anyone to spend the rest of my life with.
Same, regarding being mildly terrified I'll never find anyone to spend the rest of my life with.

(Though I must admit, I never had any interest in dating or relationships until I started watching Dan and Phil. I don't even care if they're actually in a relationship or not. It's all about the way they look at each other. Ugh.)
I was going along just fine feeling great and confident in my singledom, then I had to go and discover D&P and now, same. Their relationship whatever it is because as you say it doesn't matter in this context makes me want more from relationships in general. Does this make sense? I'm sure it does but I don't feel like I know how to explain it. I want what they have, in a friendship or SO or otherwise.
Same to all above, and I agree, their relationship makes me sort of feel lacking in my own friendships and dating scene (or lack thereof). I'm always jealous of those people that just seem to fall into friendships or find people they can bond with easily. Of course, we don't see everything, but they seemed to have lucked out.
achika wrote: - I used to write bandom fanfic and fell out of the scene, am slowly getting back into writing these days, 2016 was the first time I posted my writing to AO3 in years and I had a full on panic attack once I did
Wahay, I used to be in bandom heavily too! Did you have a certain band you focused on?
bluebox-away
woodland creature

achika wrote: - I've only just developed anxiety in the last couple of years which I'm still trying to understand how to deal with which is also why I don't post that often as I tend to think I have nothing significant to add to the conversation
Feel like I'm in the same boat there, I've always been pretty cautious/anxious but since my mid-teens I've developed what I think is 'properly' anxiety, with no obvious reason or anything I'm just a walking ball of anxious energy :| Pretty sure that also factors in to my "I'll probably end up alone because how do relationships work?!" permanent singleness.

It's weird how happily I'm sharing my thoughts with strangers on a forum when I can't talk about these things with people in real life.. :? I seriously need to stop oversharing and go to bed
angrymob
hobbit hair

bluebox-away wrote:
achika wrote: - I've only just developed anxiety in the last couple of years which I'm still trying to understand how to deal with which is also why I don't post that often as I tend to think I have nothing significant to add to the conversation
Feel like I'm in the same boat there, I've always been pretty cautious/anxious but since my mid-teens I've developed what I think is 'properly' anxiety, with no obvious reason or anything I'm just a walking ball of anxious energy :| Pretty sure that also factors in to my "I'll probably end up alone because how do relationships work?!" permanent singleness.

It's weird how happily I'm sharing my thoughts with strangers on a forum when I can't talk about these things with people in real life.. :? I seriously need to stop oversharing and go to bed
I think this thread is great because everyone is flat out sharing stuff you'd never say in person. It's nice to realise that I'm not the only one who does/feels things like this, as it can often feel in real life.
icklebrina
living flop

angrymob wrote:
icklebrina wrote: - I studied linguistics in school, and really love languages, though I'm sadly only fluent in one (my French is decent-ish, and my Korean is sadly lacking for all the time I spent there)
I studied Ling too, but heading more into CompLing. Ah, having to constantly explain to people that you don't actually speak 1278368 different languages.
hahaha, yes! I had that exact conversation yesterday. I've been thinking more about CompLing type things lately, though I never really studied that area much in school. I've been more in the ESL route of late, spent a few years teaching, and now (after working for an awful school/company) trying to decide whether or not I still want to be a teacher or move in a different direction.

angrymob wrote:
achika wrote:
oqua wrote:

Same to all above, and I agree, their relationship makes me sort of feel lacking in my own friendships and dating scene (or lack thereof). I'm always jealous of those people that just seem to fall into friendships or find people they can bond with easily. Of course, we don't see everything, but they seemed to have lucked out.
hahahaha, yup. Totally feel you all as well.

Also, in regards to the people saying they've struggled more with anxiety recently, I've had that experience as well. I was never a very socially anxious person (introverted, but not socially anxious) until working under a person with narcissistic and psychopathic tendencies. It's amazing what a difference one person can make in your life.
leisurely
squish

Hi i'm a longtime lurker from the gg d&p threads but I feel more comfortable here so I'll start posting (occasionally) now. Thanks for making this forum!

- sorry i tend to rant and make my sentences too long so just excuse that
- please ignore my grammar mistakes because who has time for proof-reading
- i have commitment issues with tv shows so the only tv shows with more than one season that I have completed are Avatar the Last Airbender and Friends (idk if sherlock counts bc it's only a few episodes)
- i have a soft spot for angsty phanfics
- i only have one friend who also likes d&p so i hope i can make some here
- i'm v awkward at first but when i grow more comfortable around someone I can blabber on forever
- i once wrote fanfic about 5sos but we don't talk about that
cheese
first-time poster

umm, hi? i'm going to make my first post here and then maybe i'll continue to lurk forever :D
-i've lurked the gg thread since the beginning of 2014 and even made an account but never actually posted anything.
-tokio hotel fandom was the first thing i found when i got myself a computer and it was also my introduction to fanfiction. so i was introduced to twincest pretty early on. i'm still traumatized.
-i've had pink/red hair for 4 years
-i do not own any pants, all dresses and skirts for me
-i've read a lot of fanfiction, like a lot a lot
-none of my friends know about my double life as an internet hobo (maybe homo, still confused)
-and yeah i'm super awkward in internet land, i just don't know how to talk to people who seem much cooler than me

so bye!!! (or not)
kay
phabergé

angrymob wrote:
achika wrote: - I used to write bandom fanfic and fell out of the scene, am slowly getting back into writing these days, 2016 was the first time I posted my writing to AO3 in years and I had a full on panic attack once I did
Wahay, I used to be in bandom heavily too! Did you have a certain band you focused on?
Heeyyyy! Yes, originally anybody from the Long Island bands (TBS/BN) because the drama between them, specifically John/Jesse because that feud was just fuel for the fanfic fire tbh, but then mostly FOB and original PATD (surprisingly not Ryden though like apparently 98% of that fandom, I was more of a Jon/Spencer girl). What about you?
icklebrina wrote: Also, in regards to the people saying they've struggled more with anxiety recently, I've had that experience as well. I was never a very socially anxious person (introverted, but not socially anxious) until working under a person with narcissistic and psychopathic tendencies. It's amazing what a difference one person can make in your life.
Thank you for saying this, because I think it's important to remember that these things can develop as a result of people in our lives/our environments, not just manifest out of nothing and for no reason. Sometimes peoples' reactions to anxiety ("but what are you so anxious about your life is fine" / "just calm down" and the like) minimizes it so much and it's rather unhelpful when trying to understand and heal as best as you can. I hope that you will or already have found a way to manage everything in your work situation and that this person's negative contributions will no longer hurt you.
swofro wrote: I also used to write fanfic in my head before going to sleep!! But I did it with Dragon Ball. Lol. I totally ship myself with Trunks.
Super embarrassing confession time, Trunks was totally my first (ok well second after Chiba Mamoru "mamo-chan!") Anime boy crush! To be fair he did have the exact same haircut as my irl crush so yeah :lol:
icklebrina
living flop

achika wrote:
icklebrina wrote: Also, in regards to the people saying they've struggled more with anxiety recently, I've had that experience as well. I was never a very socially anxious person (introverted, but not socially anxious) until working under a person with narcissistic and psychopathic tendencies. It's amazing what a difference one person can make in your life.
Thank you for saying this, because I think it's important to remember that these things can develop as a result of people in our lives/our environments, not just manifest out of nothing and for no reason. Sometimes peoples' reactions to anxiety ("but what are you so anxious about your life is fine" / "just calm down" and the like) minimizes it so much and it's rather unhelpful when trying to understand and heal as best as you can. I hope that you will or already have found a way to manage everything in your work situation and that this person's negative contributions will no longer hurt you.
Aw, thanks! I have gotten away - so far in fact that I moved to a new country, haha. It wasn't fun while it lasted, but I'm glad it's over.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Winterbury wrote:oh man, this forum surely attracts a whole lot of cool people.
I'm soo jealous of all of you who are fluent in more than one or two languages. I may be alright when it comes to German and/or English but French as a third language is already ruining my life and my academic career. lol

And it's nice to see there are so many HP fans present!! Wolfstar, anyone? ...Deamus??
bluntedclaws wrote:It's been fun reading all these snippets about people. Hi to all the Dutch peeps. I'm only half dutch but people always tell me I "look Dutch"...whatever that means!

As a big HP fan I'm quite intrigued that so many people here read HP fan fiction. I have never read any. Can anyone recommend a good introductory one?
Ahh bluntedclaws, it's good to have you back!! Dw, maybe I'm just *too young* but I've never been a fan of smut either. I mostly just skip it whenever I come across it in a fic.
As for HP fanfic recs - I'm glad you asked as I can now push my Wolfstar agenda onto you
But seriously Stealing Harry is a HP fandom classic and imo the right place to start your journey into the world of HP fanfiction.
bluntedclaws I think looking Dutch just means having blond hair and blue eyes, at least that has been my experience.

Also yes finally someone else here who ships Wolfstar, that is even what I wrote my few fanfics about many years ago. I still adore that pairing. Yes that is a good recommendation, I remember reading that. Oh the memories.
IzzySmi
crusty sponge

Winterbury wrote:
IzzySmi wrote: - Good god I love Marvel (and DC too but that may change once I see Batman V Superman :| ) films and I am soooo excited about CA: Civil War but I try not to geek out too much
Noo, don't ever be sorry for geeking out. I'm SO excited for Civil War I've been hyping myself up through Stucky fanfics for weeks.
It's just that I ramble a lot when i'm geeking out about something like that, with the Winter Soldier it was a case of "Omg did you see the fight sequences, how amazing were they! Seb and Chris did the majority of their own stunts too, how fantastic is that. Scarlet wore an arrow necklace the entire time because she thought BW would end up with Hawkeye but Joss Whedon (King of the NERDS) scuppered that.. DO you think they'll be true to the comic for Civil War or will they go waaaaaay off base.. omgomgomg..*incoherent babbling*" and the person just stares at me silently with dead eyes. It's for the best I don't geek out.

I'm sooo excited too! Me too about the stucky fanfics.