mid 20s humans?

You can make your first post here!
plastictrees
drama llama

hi all!

I’m slap bang in the middle of my quarter life crisis at 25 and would love to chat more to people of a similar age who also don’t understand why they’re so deep in the rabbit hole of obsession with deppy! (not meant to exclude anyone just think it’s interesting finding people my age with my interests because adult friends are hard 😁)

Feel free to reply or PM!
angrymob
hobbit hair

Hi!

26-year old questionable human here. I kind of thought that mid-20s was the main age range Dan and Phil fans, but yeah, that quarter life crisis hits hard.
plastictrees
drama llama

angrymob wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 pm Hi!

26-year old questionable human here. I kind of thought that mid-20s was the main age range Dan and Phil fans, but yeah, that quarter life crisis hits hard.
That’s interesting! I feel like I spent too much time on tumblr a few years and convinced myself i was way older than the average demographic. although yeh, once i found IDB i then felt a lot of people were older than me!

How long have you been watching them?
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I'd say the vast majority of us here at IDB is in their twenties or thirties (or more). Deppy fans aren't just 13 anymore - many grew up with them.

Personally, I'm 28 and have been watching them since 2012!
livoy
phillion/danosaur <//3

Hello, fellow 25 here! I started watching Phil back in 2008 (gosh) and then pretty much Dan as soon as he started appearing in Phil videos. I gradually became less interested in YouTubers around 2014 (still aware but not really actively following/watching content as I used too), however, the Dan coming out video has brought me back and a month later I'm still deep in a D&P hole aha. It's been so fun catching up with everything they've been doing over the years, seeing how successful they've become and generally just feeling very proud as I remember Phil just bein' the kooky guy on the internet with a fringe who liked lions haha.
angrymob
hobbit hair

plastictrees wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:09 pm
That’s interesting! I feel like I spent too much time on tumblr a few years and convinced myself i was way older than the average demographic. although yeh, once i found IDB i then felt a lot of people were older than me!

How long have you been watching them?

Yeah, maybe the plaforms skew it all a bit, but I always assumed that deppy's jokes and content would mostly appeal to people who were the right age at the right time given the relatable content factor.

I've been watching them since I was 15 or 16, but like livoy said, gradually became less interested in Youtubers in general when I started uni (2011) and when my favourite collab channel died out. My interest was revived 2015-ish for nostalgia reasons haha.
andsar
not a first-time poster

Hello, yet another lost 25yo over here!

I've been a broad viewer of British YT since 2012 but truly fell down the D&P rabbit hole in 2015 in my post-uni graduation lost af phase when Dan would deliciously verbalise all my existential struggles and Phil would bring me back up again. They really are a perfect balance. I'm a longtime lurker from before the IDB days and survived the shift but drifted away a couple of years ago. I still followed Dan and Phil on everything and would watch any videos that jumped out at me but my investment definitely waned. I think after I got over the initial thrill of are they/aren't they and rabidly consuming any and all information/theories I could (why didn't I study that hard for the final exams I'd just completed :roll: ) I eventually figured they didn't intend on ever giving a concrete answer, nor was I owed/right to expect one. After I'd accepted that I was just generally happy for them and knowing that they had each other in whatever form of enduring relationship and I let them be. I don't believe in much but I never lost faith in them haha.

And thennnnnn BIG hit and it was devastating but hopeful and inspiring and everything else that everybody has already said and all the genuine care and fond I had for them came rushing back and I came here to (surreptitiously) celebrate with everyone and still haven't gotten over it. I'm in a similar state of limbo that I was in 2015 which is apparently the perfect environment to get in way too deep, but like livoy said it has been so fun catching up on the last few years and watching the last month unfold whilst following the genuinely thought provoking discussions and perspectives here. I'm much more of an absorber than a project-er and prefer to sit back and observe/listen to everyone else but I would like to have the confidence to chime in sometimes.

This was long but thank you plastictrees (how do you tag oh well) for asking the right question at the right time, I am in the exact same position! :ribena:
jesp
why bother

andsar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:53 am<snip>

This was long but thank you plastictrees (how do you tag oh well) for asking the right question at the right time, I am in the exact same position! :ribena:
The tag/mentions and notification thing had to be disabled a little while ago, we updated the forum software and the new version isn't compatible {as in, the board completely broke} with the mentions extension unfortunately.
livoy
phillion/danosaur <//3

Glad to see there's many of us in the same boat, getting back into there content as an 'adult' made me question whether I was going through a terrible teenage regression but really they're just bloody good bois who make nice, entertaining content that makes you feel a bit better about life and that can only be a good thing.

I had no idea IDB existed before watching BIG and I'm very grateful, my friends have long moved on from YouTube so having a space for respectful, thoughtful discussion is so nice!
plastictrees
drama llama

andsar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:53 am Hello, yet another lost 25yo over here!

I've been a broad viewer of British YT since 2012 but truly fell down the D&P rabbit hole in 2015 in my post-uni graduation lost af phase when Dan would deliciously verbalise all my existential struggles and Phil would bring me back up again. They really are a perfect balance. I'm a longtime lurker from before the IDB days and survived the shift but drifted away a couple of years ago. I still followed Dan and Phil on everything and would watch any videos that jumped out at me but my investment definitely waned. I think after I got over the initial thrill of are they/aren't they and rabidly consuming any and all information/theories I could (why didn't I study that hard for the final exams I'd just completed :roll: ) I eventually figured they didn't intend on ever giving a concrete answer, nor was I owed/right to expect one. After I'd accepted that I was just generally happy for them and knowing that they had each other in whatever form of enduring relationship and I let them be. I don't believe in much but I never lost faith in them haha.

And thennnnnn BIG hit and it was devastating but hopeful and inspiring and everything else that everybody has already said and all the genuine care and fond I had for them came rushing back and I came here to (surreptitiously) celebrate with everyone and still haven't gotten over it. I'm in a similar state of limbo that I was in 2015 which is apparently the perfect environment to get in way too deep, but like livoy said it has been so fun catching up on the last few years and watching the last month unfold whilst following the genuinely thought provoking discussions and perspectives here. I'm much more of an absorber than a project-er and prefer to sit back and observe/listen to everyone else but I would like to have the confidence to chime in sometimes.

that’s so interesting! that’s exactly how i feel in terms of preferring to observe rather than join in particularly as so many people are eloquent and make points so much better than i can! Sounds like BIG dropping was a turning point for a lot of people re-emerging from the woodwork. i take it you aren’t British? i think it’s so interesting how many viewers are from all over the globe especially considering as a british person i generally only watch(ed) british youtubers but that definitely wasn’t intentional!
plastictrees
drama llama

livoy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 am Glad to see there's many of us in the same boat, getting back into there content as an 'adult' made me question whether I was going through a terrible teenage regression but really they're just bloody good bois who make nice, entertaining content that makes you feel a bit better about life and that can only be a good thing.

I had no idea IDB existed before watching BIG and I'm very grateful, my friends have long moved on from YouTube so having a space for respectful, thoughtful discussion is so nice!
hahah +100 to all of this! it is just lovely and entertaining and is a whole world i can lose myself in that i feel my real life friends wouldn’t really get?
plastictrees
drama llama

livoy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 am Glad to see there's many of us in the same boat, getting back into there content as an 'adult' made me question whether I was going through a terrible teenage regression but really they're just bloody good bois who make nice, entertaining content that makes you feel a bit better about life and that can only be a good thing.

hahah +100 to all of this! it is just lovely and entertaining and is a whole world i can lose myself in that i feel my real life friends wouldn’t really get?
andsar
not a first-time poster

plastictrees wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:01 pm
andsar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:53 am Hello, yet another lost 25yo over here!

that’s so interesting! that’s exactly how i feel in terms of preferring to observe rather than join in particularly as so many people are eloquent and make points so much better than i can! Sounds like BIG dropping was a turning point for a lot of people re-emerging from the woodwork. i take it you aren’t British? i think it’s so interesting how many viewers are from all over the globe especially considering as a british person i generally only watch(ed) british youtubers but that definitely wasn’t intentional!
Nope, Aus! But such a large portion of English-speaking media comes out of UK/US, same with youtube content. Also I've just always been anglophilic trash.The internet has made the world such a small place (in some ways, in other ways it has created gaping divides ugh) but we can all watch the same stuff at the same time now, and be included/participate and honestly it's made a huge difference to how far away/isolated Australia can feel. It's like how any hostel anywhere in the world is always going to be full of young Australians, finally released into the wider world (lol welcome to my TED talk on Australian youth identity). I'm sure we had a local scene too but I think yt and vloggers etc. took off way earlier in the UK so there was a lot more content and was just more interesting to me in general!
plastictrees wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:02 pm

Yessssssssssss I thought I was regressing too haha but really I'm just like going back to something that was comforting now that I need a bit of that comfort again. It's lovely that this dap world is here when you need it <3 . I'm kicking the notion of 'guilty pleasures' so actually participating in discussion feels like a more productive and social activity rather than secretly scrolling haha. My friends who used to watch youtube too watched BIG and we had some nice fond chats but even back in the day we didn't discuss them in depth. I have hardly ever ever posted something public to internet strangers anywhere but I feel like I hardly ever talk to new people anymore (mid twenties thing?), just the same friends and coworkers day in n out. This is a great excuse to expand!
feenix
squish
Pronouns: she/they

Hi! Fellow 25-er here. Similar to what livoy said, I started watching Phil around 2008, but I think I blacked out and completely ignored Dan's existence when they started making videos together! I stopped watching Phil for some reason around 2010/2011, but when I started uni in 2012, my hall-mate was obsessed with Deppy and would always be late to our pub quiz on Sundays because they were watching the radio show. It's through them that I started to get into watching Phil again and was introduced to Dan. I've been down the rabbit hole since then. I started reading the Dan and Phil page of the-site-that-shall-not-be-named in around 2014, and joined this site around the time of its inception in 2016. It's kind of tragic to realise how much of my adult life I've spent thinking about these nerds.

I have three friends from uni who are all obsessed with Deppy too. (I haven't said this anywhere before, but one of them works in social media and has been to an awards show a few years ago and was sat next to someone who worked with a manager from their radio show - she asked if he would set her up with Dan and he said "you're barking up the wrong tree". At the time I believed he was bi so I was sure he didn't really know the truth and was only guessing, but now I guess he outed Dan to my friend :x ). I read this forum daily (what is a life?), but I don't post very often as I usually do my theorising and fan-girling in person or via message with these friends. Does anyone else here have IRL friends to discuss Dan and Phil with? I've seen a lot of adult fans on the main thread say they have no real life friends who watch the boys.
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

I'm 24; I started watching them after BIG :lol: The immersion is real.
feenix wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 am (I haven't said this anywhere before, but one of them works in social media and has been to an awards show a few years ago and was sat next to someone who worked with a manager from their radio show - she asked if he would set her up with Dan and he said "you're barking up the wrong tree". At the time I believed he was bi so I was sure he didn't really know the truth and was only guessing, but now I guess he outed Dan to my friend :x )
That really sounds like the manager implied Dan was exclusively gay. I just wonder how would he know that. I can't imagine Dan having told him that then. Idk what year that was but besides Phil I imagine very few knew about it.