IDB Phandom Watch Fest #5 - PINOF Edition!

Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Hey everyone!
This is our fifth IDB Phandom Watch Fest, and this time, it's PINOF EDITION!

To celebrate the upcoming release of PINOF10, we will be hosting a special PINOF marathon, this time using rabb.it!
This will allow us to watch at the same time and chat, while also coming here to discuss afterwards :)
What is this all about?
The purpose of hosting a marathon is to get us all hyped for PINOF10, watch together, freak out together, and then have a fun time chatting here on IDB!

We are going to "meet up" on rabb.it and here on the forum on Sunday, November 25th at one of the times listed. I will start the video once people have gathered, we will watch them together, and then come back here to chat about them!

How to get involved?
- Want to chat with us here? Register on the forum! Click meee!
- Don't feel like chatting? No problem! You can just read the discussion on this forum without registering.
- Not a fan of forums? Join in on the chat on either tumblr or twitter using the hashtag #PhandomWatch
- Don't want to/can't make the times listed? No problem! Just marathon PINOF in your own time and come here to chat!
Schedule: (handy time zone converter for you: http://www.timebie.com/timelocal/universal.php)
Sunday, November 25th
First group - join rabb.it/start the video by yourself at 1:00 PM UTC
Second group - join rabb.it/start the video by yourself at 7:00 PM UTC
The times don't suit you? Watch the videos during Sunday and come chat at any hour!

Videos:
We will be marathoning the videos with short breaks upon request!
- Want to watch with us using rabb.it? Click here!
- Can't make it and want to watch on your own? Use this playlist: PINOF 1-9
Discuss the differences, make timestamps or notes, list what you like or don't like - just chat! :)
:money: IMPORTANT! :money:
Make sure you turn off Adblock and watch all the ads!

If you want to tweet while watching, use the hashtag #PhandomWatch or just chat with us here! Don't be shy, we don't bite! <3

Any questions?
Post here or visit our tumblr or twitter! And most importantly, have fun watching!!
Ablissa
pastel persona

Hey everyone, we're starting in 10 8 minutes! :cheer:

- Link to watch with us on rabb.it (requires sign up, it's quick, easy and free): https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch
- Link to watch by yourself: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NFVdqWEc3R
- If you want to tweet, use #PhandomWatch
- Take notes if you like, we will still come here to discuss when the first marathon is done!

First round of questions to consider:
1. Which of the nine videos was your favorite? Which was your least favorite?
2. Which of the videos most reminded you of their dynamic from the first one? (as in, which video was the most like pinof 1?)
3. Do you think they should continue the PINOF series after 10? Why or why not? And do you think they will?
4. What do you think PINOF means to them? Do you think, based on these videos, they genuinely have fun filming it?
Ablissa
pastel persona

We are also watching the bloopers!!
https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Alright, my head is full of Pinof feels, so that's good. I am also getting hyped for PINOF10 already - not getting my hopes up for anything but I'm excited.

What's so great about this series is that you can see all the changes they went through over the course of the years. The first two were more genuine and carefree - it was just two lads having fun and flirting on camera. Then you can see the shift happening in PINOF3 already and as we all know, everything went downhill the two following years. Dan referring to Phil as someone else's future husband, saying things 'hey sexy lady let's make out' or asking Phil if he would still date Sarah Michelle Gellar if she had a giraffe neck.. all of that made me so uncomfortable and sad, because they were trying too hard. I understand why - and that's why it made me sad - but they're not the Dan and Phil I love. However, I am also very proud of how far they've come because from PINO6 onwards, they've been happier and happier and that makes me happy.

Even though the first one will always have a special place in my heart, I think that in terms of enjoyment and the general vibes I get from it, PINOF9 is my favorite. Least favorite definitely PINOF 4.

2. Which of the videos most reminded you of their dynamic from the first one? (as in, which video was the most like pinof 1?)
Definitely 9. I think they're going back to how their first pinofs were - they are more comfortable on camera and they don't shy away from touching each other and flirting like 14 years old anymore.

3. Do you think they should continue the PINOF series after 10? Why or why not? And do you think they will?
I know some people want PINOF to end with the 10th one, but I am not one of them. I think that as long as they enjoy making it, there's no reason for it to end. It's still their most popular and discussed series, the one this fandom always gets hyped over, so I don't see them stopping, tbh.

4. What do you think PINOF means to them? Do you think, based on these videos, they genuinely have fun filming it?
I think it means a lot to them. It's what started everything, it's the origin of Dan&Phil and they are two old saps *cues to Dan still having the paper with the PINOF questions on* .
I am sure they genuinely have fun filming it and you can see it in every giggle. The only PINOFs I don't think they were into that much were PINOF 4 and 5, but for two different reasons. PINOF 4 was just bad, it felt like Dan was a bit reluctant and that it was a video they HAD to do because people expected them to. Their mood was better for PINOF 5, but there was no juicy content in it. Again, it felt like they made that video because of people's expectations and not because they really wanted to. For them it must not have been easy, filming videos that can require a lot of banter and the occasional physical touch, when their dynamic on camera was nowhere near the early stages of their careers on youtube.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ablissa
pastel persona

This was a wild ride!
The marathon took about ~1.5h. We chatted in between the videos but we had no major breaks.
We also watched the bloopers, which was a lot of fun!

I didn't make timestamps, but I will try on my second marathon in ~3 hours :lol:
I encourage everyone to still come here and chat - IDB is the best platform for discussion!! <3

Some thoughts under the cut because I ramble!!
PINOF 1-3
Well, mostly PINOF 1-2, but 3 kinda too. This was just pure cuteness. You can tell they don't have much of an audience to worry about yet (yes, Phil did, but he wasn't very shy with his audience back in the days), and they're mostly just filming for the sake of having fun together, which is... great, really.
Obviously PINOF 1 is completely iconic. Watching the first two, I couldn't help but marvel at the fact that these two cute boys grew up to be who they are now. And they grew up together.
Also something that was mentioned in the chat - wow, they were so comfortable for two people who literally only just met in real life.
PINOF 3 is where things start to go a bit sour, but it was still cute-ish.

PINOF 4-5
A pain to watch in a way. 4 was full blown "no homo", 5 too. These are the two videos where they don't seem to be having all that much fun. The jokes they made back then are all gone by now. I amused myself by thinking how they would react to questions if they were asked again now. They are such different people.

PINOF 6-8
It's amazing what a difference these videos are. They seem so much happier! Much more comfortable in their skin!! @alittledizzy mentioned that Dan would have started therapy by then, and wow, it shows. But also their hair is just bad in these and Fabrice needs to get a new f//king job.

PINOF 9
Just when we all thought it couldn't get any better, it DID. <3
This is the video that has a very similar vibe to PINOF1, in that they pay more attention to each other than to the camera. 10 minutes of blatant flirting. Also, when you watch all of these in a row - compare 3-5 and 8-9 - they touch each other so often now. (that sounds wrong but I like it)
I think they genuinely enjoyed filming this video, and I would be surprised if they end PINOF at any point in the near future. It's their tradition just as much as it is ours. <3
Summary
1. Favorite: 9! Of course. What a surprise.
2. Most like PINOF1: 9, as stated above. They act like they're high and horny in the best way. :ribena:
3. Will they continue making PINOF videos?: I mean, they're bound to stop one day but that day is not close.
4. What does PINOF mean to them?: I'm sure it makes them fond and nostalgic too. Plus they know how much their audience loves it. Since they started focusing more on each other again, I do believe they genuinely enjoy making these videos.
Ablissa
pastel persona

We're starting our second marathon in twenty minutes!
Link: https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch

Questions to consider - the same as above, and...
5. Which two PINOFs had the biggest change between them (in terms of dnp - their dynamic, attitude)?
6. Fun question - predictions for PINOF10? Let's see how much we manage to guess!
Ablissa
pastel persona

We're about to start! <3
https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

dang, i think itll change once pinof 10 comes out lol but i like pinof 1 for the nostalgia

whew that was a lot of videos to process but its was fun, id say their most recent ones where they are more relaxed and comfortable with their relationship with the audience. i feel like in the first pinof, its just them doing a fun thing mostly for themselves, but as it happened each year, it started to become something that they do for "the people". theres that struggle of "keeping a family tradition" but also "enjoying the family tradition" with themselves.

part of me feels like its an ongoing tradition, but also part of me feels like 10 is a good number.............i guess well see

like i said above, its like a family tradition that had lost its meaning at some point, but now were in a good place. i do believe that pinofs hold some importance in their lives, if not, then mr. daniel howell wouldnt have kept the physical copy of pinof 1 questions.

wow my brain is a mush rn, cant type words. also i love how dan tweeted about the liveshow AFTER we finished the pinof marathon, thanks. i stan understanding parents
"you are next to me in my life"
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

oops i posted on the wrong forum gdgdhd
sorry

that was super fun !!!!
here are my favourite to least favourite of the pinofs:
1. pinof 9
2. pinof 1
3. pinof 2
4. pinof 6
5. pinof 8
6. pinof 7
7. pinof 5
8. pinof 3
9. pinof 4
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

That was a lot of fun! I try to do a pinof marathon every year in preparation and it was nice to do it with other people.

I have a total tie between 8 and 9 for my favourite (but 1 will always hold a special place in my heart too). They're both a perfect reflection of current deppy with their comfort levels and they way they interact with the audience (well as current as we can get considering 2018!), but I think they also draw back to the first few pinofs with the randomness in the editing and their behaviours.

I think 9, just going off their comfort levels and--as I said above--the call back to the ~randomness.

I would like them to continue, but ultimately if they decided to end it I wouldn't be too pressed about it. However, I don't think they will. They seem to really enjoy doing it, and it's the first video they ever made together, plus a very successful series.

As I said above, I think they do. They always (well...almost always lol) have such great energy and, especially in recent ones, just seem to have a lot of fun doing stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense but is perfectly silly and stupid and wonderful. I do think they have some sentimental value towards it since it was their first collab and what really kick started all of this joint wonderfulness that we have today (not to mention Dan still having the og questions plus the kind of special vibe that we get from them when they talk about it. It's nostalgic and sweet tbh).

5. Which two PINOFs had the biggest change between them (in terms of dnp - their dynamic, attitude)?
Quite obviously 4 and 9--or even 4 and 1--just going off of how they talk to each other and their body language, as well as how they interact with the audience. I also think that going from 5 to 6 is a huge change. Tbh I never remember what happens in 5. Not that it's bad per se but it's quite unmemorable to me. The energy was kind of forced and, much like with 4, it kind of felt like they were just doing it because they had to. I do think they wanted to keep the tradition, but it didn't feel as natural as the others. In 6, though, we get such a different vibe (at least to me--I'm probably talking mostly out of my own ass here). It felt far more naturally funny than the last two. I have to agree with what @Ablissa said in her post about Dan starting therapy having an impact on that, though I also think at this point they were gearing up to 2015 with their book plans, and then later for the tour too. Late 2014 had a total shift in their behaviour where they were just having more fun, and I think able to financially and mentally have more comfort with just having fun instead of having their jobs be more stressful with trying to get their careers off the ground (like in 2012/2013).

6. Fun question - predictions for PINOF10? Let's see how much we manage to guess!
I honestly have no idea what to expect tbh, but perhaps something with yoga since those are common and popular, and they've been on about yoga quite a bit this year (obviously lol). Maybe some kind of nostalgic thing? Like a call back to some of the early one? Idk I'm bad at predicting things lol. Though! I do think a spon is inevitable lmao
Ablissa
pastel persona

We didn't have as much IDB discussion for this one, which I totally expected. But if anyone else wants to chime in, please do! We can take a few days to slowly discuss this if you'll want to. <3 Remember you have six questions to think about if you like!

Some excellent points have been made, so here are my thoughts!
glitterintheair wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm What's so great about this series is that you can see all the changes they went through over the course of the years. The first two were more genuine and carefree - it was just two lads having fun and flirting on camera. Then you can see the shift happening in PINOF3 already and as we all know, everything went downhill the two following years. Dan referring to Phil as someone else's future husband, saying things 'hey sexy lady let's make out' or asking Phil if he would still date Sarah Michelle Gellar if she had a giraffe neck.. all of that made me so uncomfortable and sad, because they were trying too hard. I understand why - and that's why it made me sad - but they're not the Dan and Phil I love. However, I am also very proud of how far they've come because from PINO6 onwards, they've been happier and happier and that makes me happy.
+1 to all of this. Watching these videos one after another was an eye-opening experience.
I'll be honest - I don't usually marathon PINOF by myself, I watch a few then pause, so this was really an adventure.
You can tell they didn't have to worry too much in the first two. Their audience back then kind of took it as a given that they were a thing (I think) and no one made a big deal out of it, aside from some trolls. Then everything got tough and sadly they never went back to what they used to be, although I think what we have now is even better.
Makes you wonder what they would be like if 2011-2012 never changed anything for them.
ame wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 pm i feel like in the first pinof, its just them doing a fun thing mostly for themselves, but as it happened each year, it started to become something that they do for "the people". theres that struggle of "keeping a family tradition" but also "enjoying the family tradition" with themselves.
YESSSS. The first one was totally for them. Also, can you believe they'd only just met in real life?? Wow, the comfort levels. Those 4 hour long skype calls helped a lot. ;)
I agree that PINOF is more for us than for them now, but I will never believe they're not sentimental about it (not saying you imply that, just how I think to myself). This was the video that gave them their careers, kind of. Or the start of them.
ame wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 pm wow my brain is a mush rn, cant type words. also i love how dan tweeted about the liveshow AFTER we finished the pinof marathon, thanks. i stan understanding parents
Nothing can express my relief at this :lol: :lol: :lol:
obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:20 pm Late 2014 had a total shift in their behaviour where they were just having more fun, and I think able to financially and mentally have more comfort with just having fun instead of having their jobs be more stressful with trying to get their careers off the ground (like in 2012/2013).
Oh I love this point, I hadn't even thought about it. 2012 was stressful because of we-know-what, but they also changed their lives so much around that 2011-2012 time. Moving to London, taking a huge risk, trying to get their careers going and really make a living out of doing youtube.

And @ratlad, I think I can just copy paste your list of pinofs and claim it as my own. That's how I would put them in order too. <3

Ugh, I'm feeling so nostalgic and happy for them right now. Seriously, one stupid video where they flirt like crazy and draw cat whiskers on their faces, and nine years later they're literal millionaires that toured the world together and are stupidly happy to this day. Thank you @ universe for creating this beautiful real-life slow burn fanfic for us.
black_rat
squish

I am a bit late with my commentary, sorry!

so I joined in on rabbit and it was really fun watching. Also thank you for "moderating" it and kicking people off that were unkind.
Ablissa wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:42 am Ugh, I'm feeling so nostalgic and happy for them right now. Seriously, one stupid video where they flirt like crazy and draw cat whiskers on their faces, and nine years later they're literal millionaires that toured the world together and are stupidly happy to this day. Thank you @ universe for creating this beautiful real-life slow burn fanfic for us.
I think this is my biggest take-away from watching as well. Which is weird that I feel nostalgic about something I wasn't really a part of, I only started watching them last year.

so I think I am just gonna share some thoughts I had on the overall PINOF concept. Sorry if this is boring to anyone.
Initially they did the q and a format this way, because phil thought it was always a bit awkward reading the questions himself and then just answering them. How convenient he met Dan to help him ask questions for him. And that turned into PINOF 1. I wonder if all q and a's on YouTube were this random back then?

While I think some questions (most) were definitely a bit weird, I think the weirdness still stems from the weird amazingphil persona (which I love SO MUCH, weird phil is best phil) and the weird editing. Then PINOF 2 was just the continuation of this, that they enjoyed making videos together and being silly, and then I think, after two it started to be expected and it became an established tradition and now they kind of have to do it. But i also think they enjoy doing it. I just think that by now they feel immense pressure to do PINOF justice and to not disappoint. They even briefly mentioned this on the liveshow before last.

What I find funny about the whole PINOF thing, is, first of all, the underlying concept of PINOF itself. It is a Q&A video. Usually how q&a videos are perceived is that they are most of the time really requested by viewers, youtubers like to do them when they are lazy and don't want to think of something to do (and now they always have a clickbait title). They are usually there for the viewer to get to know the youtuber better, it gives them a format in which they can share something more personal, and also interact with their audience.

This doesn't apply to PINOF at all. PINOF is not really about answering serious questions, or learning more about them. Instead it is a way for us to ask funny things and for them to reply in a funny way. Additionally, the filming location started on phil's bedroom floor. They move around for some weird reason and switch the positions a lot. They don't edit in the twitter users which also makes it a bit more "unprofessional" which I kind of really like. Overall it doesn't really provide us with any serious information. Instead what we get to see is how (un)comfortable they are with each other (which is also really interesting, but nowadays they have a joined channel (maybe two if you count amazingphil) and we get to see them interact a lot anyways)).

And we as a phandom really hype the PINOF series, also because the beginning of it is just so cute. And I really do enjoy PINOF's very much. But I don't think that for me it's the ultimate Dan and Phil video genre that I enjoy most. But the fact that it is tradition, and that you can watch them from year to year change etc. is really sweet. It is a good series to compare how they have changed over the years. But I do think the PINOF series prevents us from ever getting any "serious" q&a videos. Therefore we need to rely on liveshows, where they answer our questions and also panels at conventions or interviews. It's unfortunately a format in which neither of them can go on a tangent. Phil can't really tell any childhood stories, and Dan can't really give us his opinions on god knows what. That's why I think I like other content of theirs more.

Also that the bloopers are on the second channel is unfortunate. Though I like that we only initially got them because Dan didn't have a video for us, not because they wanted to make more profit off of it.

So I had really fun watching all the PINOFs, and I am now hyped for PINOF 10! I wish we would know more about their actual filming and editing process, etc. this would just be sooo intresting to me, all the behind-the-scences stuff. It must be so stressful to know that they have to film this video, and also know they have to be in a good mood, otherwise it just doesn't work.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I forgot to post here yesterday so i'm gonna do that now :)
First i want to thank you all because i had such a great time during the marathon! <3

Like everyone else, pinof 1 has a very special place in my heart, it is iconic. But.... pinof 9 man.... First of all, it was my first pinof, it's engraved in my memory (also because before i felt like a """bad fan""" because i got her in April 2017 and it's later than most people. now thank god i don't care and i embrace pinof 9 as my first pinof. also i LOVE the whole atmosphere of pinof 9! their chemistry, the length, and also the questions! i genuinely love the questions that are in pinof 9 and i feel like we don't talk enough about that haha i mean kuensukki got phil to show his magnificent butt. so yeah, PINOF 9 :love2:

Either PINOF 2 or PINOF 9. for pinof 2, it's the same setting and it's the same atmosphere and it was actually filmed not too long after pinof 1 (they're just a few months apart) so dnp (and the general context) didn't change as much back then so i think pinof 2 has really the same energy for these reasons! for pinof 9, i don't know it's that it 100% has the same energy or of it's just that after "toned down" videos, we got crashed by the return of their chemistry in pinof 9? but anyway, pinof 9 is funny and they are happier than ever and when were they as happy before? in 2009 ! so for me, yeah same happy vibe!

Selfish answer : yes. They are gonna end the series at one point, unless Phil finally finds a way to be immortal and they just keep oing pinof until we're all dead and the universe turns into a void. so they're gonna end it at one point, and i'm totally okay with that, but i'm not ready for that quite yet.
Non selfish answer that i genuinely think too : they do what they want. really, do what you want boys. but i think that they really like making these vids and also, once a year, it's an easy vid to make so :shrug:

*demon costume on* ITS THE BEGINNING OF THE GREATEST LOVE STORY OF ALL TIME . no but for real, it's a turning point, both in their careers and in their friendship, it's when they met. i think they really love pinof 1 &2. as someone said, dan still has the piece of paper with the questions for pinof 1 (BUT i can't remember how we know that, does anyone remember?) so pinof 1 (and i guess the whole series afterwards) is one of those milestones in their relationship and that they really love the video.
And because it's an easy video, mainly made of bants, i really think they have fun filming it.

Either pinof 1 and pinof 4 : pinof 1 dnp are cute babies having fun, celebrating the fact that they finally met in real life and that they get along extremely well. they want to show off each other to the world. pinof 4 dnp are still babies for me (meaning that they really are not as grown up in their mind as now), but scared babies, who try way too hard and have to face so many things and i'm so sad for them.

or pinof 4 and pinof 9 : as i just said, pinof 4, scared babies who have to face the (fairly new) everchanging world of youtube and celebrity and invasions of your private life. and pinof 9 dnp are not afraid anymore. they opened so much more and now they know how to make BOUNDARIES. they're there, not apologetic, confident and ready to take on the world.

someone said yoga : i don't know it there will be yoga but really want some.
i guess some drawings again. maybe something with phil's vase? haha
:gayaf: