Dan & Phil Part 79: calm down there bub

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Aah, Pinof tweet! *flail* I’ve just finished a fricking marathon of editing 200 pages in one day, so I had a full on squee. Just need someone to *tackle glomp* and it’ll be the early 2000s all over again. I asked them the same thing I’ve asked each year, to sit back to back, link arms and try to stand up. Probably no point carrying on asking, but you never know. Maybe they’ve seen it and think they’d pull a load of muscles or maybe they’ve never seen it, the joy of being in the phandom. Can’t think of much else, but managed a few.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Katka wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:50 pm The only thing that could actually shock me at this point would be them saying they're straight or something like that and that won't happen because it ain't true. I guess I'm one of the last "antis" in that I don't necessarily believe they're a couple but it wouldn't shock me if they were because it's plausible and possible in every way. :shrug:
I really like seeing these kind of opinions here, amongst the either overwhelming certainty that they are or are not a couple. If you were to look back on my earlier posts when I joined the forum, I was very much on the 'who knows?' fence of whether they were together or not. They are very obviously queer to me, and that has been clear for quite a while. But, though I've definitely become more 'convinced' they are a couple over the last year or so of getting deeper in the fandom and would be more shocked now if they weren't together, it's still nice to see the acknowledgement of different possibilities in a calm way. (not that everyone has to acknowledge different possibilities obviously, it's perfectly fine to be 'certain' about them being a couple.)
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

Just to let everyone know the results from the Dan and Phil survey from 2018 will be posted from Friday 7th December over at danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com so if you have any correlation requests please head on over.

Unfortunately google forms lost around 11,000 responses and we are truly disappointed. We’ve spent ages trying to recover the data however after discussions with google they’ve gone 😔 such a shame as we had over 17,000 replies. Next year we will know to keep saving the data as we go. The responses will be from the 6,600 we have been able to save.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

been thinking. phil's gonna see how much money pinof makes in december and suddenly december pinofs are gonna be the new tradition.

mark my words.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

So, anyone have any hopes and/or predictions for this PINOF? I, personally, believe that nothing out of the ordinary will happen in regards to it being PINOF 10 (esp because it's only been nine years and if they utter the words "ten years" even once, I will reach through the screen and strangle them both), but I am hoping that there'll be much less "Dan you're x, Phil you're y, make a fanfic/reenact/pretend to z" type questions this time round. Not that I absolutely hate them, but I could definitely do with less and less each year. Anyone else have any specific hopes?
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

snokoplasmic wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:52 pm So, anyone have any hopes and/or predictions for this PINOF? I, personally, believe that nothing out of the ordinary will happen in regards to it being PINOF 10 (esp because it's only been nine years and if they utter the words "ten years" even once, I will reach through the screen and strangle them both), but I am hoping that there'll be much less "Dan you're x, Phil you're y, make a fanfic/reenact/pretend to z" type questions this time round. Not that I absolutely hate them, but I could definitely do with less and less each year. Anyone else have any specific hopes?
The one response I did was for them to perform each other’s parts of the ii song (mainly because I just want to see Phil play the piano or even better Dan teaching him the song) but it’s 1 of 40k+ tweets so lol good luck for that happening

I agree that the “re-enact/fanfic/ pretend” bits are not the best.
I’d love it if it had the same sort of vibe as GTPWTW whole still have the classic Pinof style
sonicgreen
woodland creature

missemma wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:39 pm Just to let everyone know the results from the Dan and Phil survey from 2018 will be posted from Friday 7th December over at danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com so if you have any correlation requests please head on over.

Unfortunately google forms lost around 11,000 responses and we are truly disappointed. We’ve spent ages trying to recover the data however after discussions with google they’ve gone 😔 such a shame as we had over 17,000 replies. Next year we will know to keep saving the data as we go. The responses will be from the 6,600 we have been able to save.
Excited to look over the remaining results, its really devastating that so many replies were lost. The phandom survey is one of my favorite things, thank you (and your team!) so much for working on this!
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I'm not expecting anything big or groundbreaking from this PINOF, but I'll admit that I am curious to find out if they're gonna dare a bit more with the questions this time around.
I'm saying this because they've lowered their barriers quite a lot this year - on and off camera - so I am wondering what that means for a video like Pinof. And yeah, we already got a glimpse of how it might be thanks to GTPWTW, but I feel like their comfort levels have changed even more since then.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
kay
phabergé

I'll be interested to see if they shed even more of their YT personas and let us hear their natural voices (even just a little but perhaps this is me wishing too hard tbqh). I can see them being more daring with the questions they choose but it's their answers that will really determine if they're more comfortable... but I have confidence they will. between GTPWTW and the mukbang they've already let their guards down so much. even just comparing pinof 8 to 9 seems like a world of difference in their mannerisms. I hope 10 still has the random humor that makes pinof what it is but with a bit less of the lolzorz so quirky!!!111 over the top feel that previous ones have had.
macquiffed
tol bean

i agree with the thought that i'd like this pinof to be like gtpwtw but with the same style as pinof! i'm so excited to see what they choose to do and how they choose to answer the questions. the pinofs are always really fun! i'm so excited for curls + quiff + pinof!!!!
"dan and phil naked burning in a fire: the musical"
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

So last year they posted the tweet on November 20th, the selfie on the 22nd, and then posted on the 24th. Think we can expect PINOF10 on Friday? That would follow the same Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule they had last year
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

While we're all perpetually waiting in pinof purgatory - this was an enjoyable eleven minute nostalgia trip that showed up in my youtube recommended section.

autumnhearth
senpai

Good moments, however, I was not prepared for the 2009 phan song 3/4’s through. I found myself thinking about this whole phenomena of phan while watching. Last year they were the number one tagged ship on Tumblr and while they dropped down to number three this year, that still must be so odd for them to have so many people rooting for their relationship. And to have all this art and music inspired by them... I know they appreciate the creativity... I realized I don’t really have a point here. I just have to remind myself that the trio of phan songs are a cannon divergent au and just as valid as fanfic in not being factually perfect.

I didn’t watch the Sims until last night (my husband though I was broken for being laid back about it). I enjoyed them cooing over each of the Sims. I just wish there was a middle aged option, because two elderly Sims with a teenager... :|

Pinof on Friday would be lovely. :love2: :whiskers:
starwatersong
phabergé

Someone pointed out on Twitter that Phil Lester is apparently confirmed for YouTube Rewind 2018 and Dan is not confirmed (see Wikipedia here).

I would be surprised if Phil participated and Dan did not. My guess is it’s just not confirmed?

After what they said last year, I wouldn’t have been surprised if they sat out, but the boys usually help out YouTube (and the other way around :roll: ).
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

starwatersong wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:39 am Someone pointed out on Twitter that Phil Lester is apparently confirmed for YouTube Rewind 2018 and Dan is not confirmed (see Wikipedia here).

I would be surprised if Phil participated and Dan did not. My guess is it’s just not confirmed?

After what they said last year, I wouldn’t have been surprised if they sat out, but the boys usually help out YouTube (and the other way around :roll: ).
Whoever "confirmed" people as either being in it or not on Wikipedia did not cite their source, and the only reference in the sources related to the 2018 video is the teaser which YouTube released yesterday here, which confirms the release date as this Thursday. The video also contains brief clips which have been very specifically chosen so as to not reveal any of the guests.
However, maybe someone did a frame by frame :sherlock: job and decided those people, including Phil, were in it. Personally didn't see anyone who screamed "Phil Lester" to me but admittedly I didn't spend too much looking at it. More likely, someone just decided to edit random people as being in it, since those predictions seem to have been added by a non-registered user a while back, when there was less traffic to the page, so probably just a bad faith edit in wikispeak, or a troll in common parlance lol.

I was amused they put Emma Blackery as confirmed not in it, since she's the only YTer I can remember in recent history actually acknowledging Rewind beyond a single tweet.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I was actually wondering about Rewind a few days back. Would Deppy even have had the time to waste a day on set for the train wreck it inevitably ends up being every year? I guess that depends on when it was filmed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're not in it this year or at least have much smaller roles than before.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
hello9217
flower crown

Considering Dan said last year that they almost didn't even do it then and all the promo photos that youtube has released have not included dan and phil, I highly doubt they are in it this year.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i don't even know why youtube rewind is a thing anymore tbh. what's the point in it really? oh yeah lets relive tide pods and age restricting Literally Everything. add in some shit the Paul brothers did, but it will be light-hearted cause they are truly the only ones keeping the site alive!!! oh and everyone does fortnite dances.
i can't wait for the epic and hip content coming our way.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

ratlad wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:30 am i don't even know why youtube rewind is a thing anymore tbh. what's the point in it really? oh yeah lets relive tide pods and age restricting Literally Everything. add in some shit the Paul brothers did, but it will be light-hearted cause they are truly the only ones keeping the site alive!!! oh and everyone does fortnite dances.
Legit the whole thing will just be Fortnite themed, like.... Fortnite in real life with 100 youtubers parachuting down from the sky and then fighting to the death for more advertisers... truth be told I haven't watched a single rewind in its entirety (nor do I really understand fortnite as may be obvious), I've literally just watched like a "D&P in Every YT Rewind" video... oh and the footage of jacksfilms stepdancing. But yeah it really just highlights how disparate the different audiences of YT are nowadays... like haven't they had talk show hosts and stuff on too? ...anyway yes it will absolutely be Funky Fresh Fun :sarcasticclap: :roll:
knq
lava lamp

I miss dip and pip :(

Do we know much about how they film pinof? In an old ls they seemed to be keeping the questions they’d chosen secret from each other. Or possibly just secret from the ls audience? I’m not sure but I’ve always been curious.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

100 youtubers parachuting from the sky would be amazing. We could have all non-idiots and just have a big group floss when they get to the ground, something like that. Apparently the dances aren’t cool in teenager-world, according to my cousins. Seemed cool enough to do at multiple UK deppy tour venues, so :shrug:
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Rewind's been getting worse every year. I think it corresponds with the platform getting more crowded- as more and more people appear in the videos there's less chance for anyone to do anything standout and it's just overwhelming. Because of this I don't think D&P could get the screentime they got in earlier Rewinds again. I'd be fine if they stop doing them. (They'll never top that Stranger Things homage anyway).

PS the christmas decorating over the last few days has been adorable, especially the selfie (Dan just had to get the word erected in there didn't he).
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

ratlad wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:30 am i don't even know why youtube rewind is a thing anymore tbh. what's the point in it really? oh yeah lets relive tide pods and age restricting Literally Everything. add in some shit the Paul brothers did, but it will be light-hearted cause they are truly the only ones keeping the site alive!!! oh and everyone does fortnite dances.
I wonder when YouTube will start asking themselves whether it's a good idea to advertise all these people on their website, when more than half of them are all messy as hell and could be stirring up some kind of huge controversy only the next day. Like last year the Paul brothers had one of the biggest parts (ugh) and then the first controversy of the new year was one of them filming a dead body in Aokigahara.

And ugh I'm so sick of Fortnite dances being everywhere. Aren't many of them stolen as well?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

Hey y'all, so as I got a surprise day off from work doing data collection and database management... I thought I'd spend hours collating data about D&P's main channel videos into spreadsheets... :facepalm2: I'm great at relaxing on my time off... :ribena:

In doing so, though, I realized that there are literally no Dan videos still public on DINOF between AmazingDan(posted May 28, 2010) and POM-BEAR MASSACRE (posted April 1, 2011). That means there are literally 303 days between videos on his main channel, which was so odd to me I thought I'd made an error. Especially as prior to AmazingDan he still has vids up from Feb 2010, Jan 2010, Nov 2009, and 3 from Oct 2009.

Although I know he deleted a lot of earlier videos at various points, I was wondering if anyone had some insight into this gap? Was he not posting as much anyway as he was moving/starting uni? Was he really just going for "edgy" humour which aged badly and so as he matured he deleted them b/c he was ashamed of being "problematic" for lack of a better term? What kinds of videos was he posting?

I've hastily created an image to graphically represent the timeframe of the earliest DINOF videos:

Anyway, I'm really curious, especially as personally that time in 2010 to early 2011 was when I was getting the most involved in the YouTube community, making the bulk of my closest internet friends, and generally being really active on YTer social media, so I feel like that's the time when I could have actually interacted with Dan without knowing it (since I didn't sub to either of the boys until late 2016, and I'd barely ever heard about them, despite having been a huge fan of basically every other nerdy UK vlogger in the 2007-11 era).
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

BuffyFiona wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm In doing so, though, I realized that there are literally no Dan videos still public on DINOF between AmazingDan(posted May 28, 2010) and POM-BEAR MASSACRE (posted April 1, 2011).
I appreciate this great data nerdery as someone who ALSO does this professionally and for fun.

He published a ton of videos that got deleted in his great purge of April 2018. I remember there was clipstar going on at that time too. Here's an incomplete list via the video drug deal:

-Stalker Prank Call (23 June 2010) deleted in early 2018
- SELF MUTILATION (18 July 2010) deleted in the great purge of april 2018
- argblarbleawblrwarblgablrbleweblbll (26 July 2010)
- Extreme Tubing Fail (1 Aug 2010)
- Dan Vs. Phil (4 Aug 2010) unlisted in the great purge of april 2018
- Truth or Dare 2 (23 Aug 2010) deleted in early 2018
- Stupid Air Fresheners (26 Sept 2010)
- University Life (21 Oct 2010) unlisted in 2017, deleted in early 2018
- Dan and Phil play Sonic 4 (3 Nov 2010) deleted in the great purge of april 2018
- I NEARLY DIED. (not) (25 Nov 2010) unlisted in the great purge of april 2018