Dan & Phil Part 79: calm down there bub

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

Ribona wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:07 pm I actually liked this year's YouTube rewind and I'm a bit disappointed that I won't see a video featuring Dan & Phil with Safiya and Trixya...
But anyway I can't wait for pinof I have a feeling that it is going to be pretty fun this year 😊
wait, tracey and katie were in it? mother, we made it.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

I know that Saf really wants to do a collab with DNP and I'm disappointed they're not vidconning this year because I hoped that would happen in LA. Honestly, they have such overlapping audience demos (based on everything I've seen) and similar energy, I think those would be killer collabs. In my wish list for 2019.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Im_new_here wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 pm I know that Saf really wants to do a collab with DNP and I'm disappointed they're not vidconning this year because I hoped that would happen in LA. Honestly, they have such overlapping audience demos (based on everything I've seen) and similar energy, I think those would be killer collabs. In my wish list for 2019.
Is she going to Vidcon London next year? Maybe we’ll perhaps get a collab then! I would love to see how she and Phil bounce off each other because they totally do have similar energy.

My dream is still to get a collab with Jenna & Julien. No matter what they do it would be absolutely hilarious and I just need it so bad!! I know they’re going to Vidcon London. PLEASE DEPPY PLEASE :please:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:50 pm I know they’re going to Vidcon London. PLEASE DEPPY PLEASE :please:
Omg. I'm 90% sure I'm going to be at Vidcon London too (for work reasons). I would like that collab to happen in the VIP room when I'm on break, please, so I can watch.
susan2
rainbow nerd

ATF have updated their :deppy: page - it's finally no longer sponning TATINOF :clap:
http://abovetf.com/talent/dan-howell-phil-lester/

(previous version for comparison)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

If you have any thread name suggestions, get them in here!
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

missemma wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:39 pm Just to let everyone know the results from the Dan and Phil survey from 2018 will be posted from Friday 7th December over at danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com so if you have any correlation requests please head on over.
It's now Friday in the UK, so the results of the 2018 Dan and Phil Survey are here! While we're all patiently waiting for PINOF 10, go check them out! (And send us a request for additional analysis while you're there! :D)
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
opendoor
rainbow nerd

liola wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:24 pm Gonna post my own tweet cause I cba to embed two pics but yall..same boyfriend energy..same closeness.. man Dan truly knows how to deliver pain to me
asdfkjdskla;j that new pic! 0 feet apart. It's so casual and adorable. Like they're close in the pic that went on Phil's twitter, but this one is even better.

Also it was nice seeing that 4th July pic again :prideheart: And I love the pinof whiskers on the heading. :6-year-old dan: I'm hyped. :whiskers:
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
ratlad
angel bean

itasca00 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 am
missemma wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:39 pm Just to let everyone know the results from the Dan and Phil survey from 2018 will be posted from Friday 7th December over at danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com so if you have any correlation requests please head on over.
It's now Friday in the UK, so the results of the 2018 Dan and Phil Survey are here! While we're all patiently waiting for PINOF 10, go check them out! (And send us a request for additional analysis while you're there! :D)
very cool! i was surprised to see how many people think phil is currently heterosexual in any way, shape or form....... of course it's not the majority, but it's so weird to see... i guess it's cause i don't surround myself with those people. hm.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
sonicgreen
woodland creature

wow i love the survey, so much detailed insight... also the majority of the phandom is lgbt+ and thats a very interesting shift over the years, one that could only have been fostered by how loving and safe dnp and the phandom have been :happytears:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Happy PINOF day!
I'm excited :6-year-old dan:

Hoping they upload around 8-9 pm CET.
Their upload times have definitely been earlier recently, previously they often uploaded right when I was about to sleep, but now I actually get to be awake for watching!
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I've been so occupied with IRL stuff lately that I forgot to anticipate PINOF until now that it's so close I can almost taste it. Anyway, better late than never, now I'm hyped for tonight! :6-year-old dan:
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I just got my Xmas tree briefly stuck on Rave Mode which necessitated singing the Rave Tree song, and now my pinof hype has risen to dangerous levels. :ravetree: :epictree: :whiskers:
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Happy Pinof day, I am so excited! :6-year-old dan:

Also this just made me laugh, I love Duncan.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
kavat
pastel persona

Rewind is difficult. I think it has played out it's part by now. It used to be a way for Youtube to highlight and celebrate the talents of the platform and big events of the year, but it has grown to big and diverse to be able to do that in a meaningful way. The main criticism from years past have been that the creators didn't get enough screen time, not enough animators, too many talk show hosts. You can tell that they listened to that (and I guess that's why the main theme was Give the people what they want). But there will always be people who are unhappy because their fave wasn't included or didn't get enough time or whatever. I think that to save it they would have to divide it by community, so one rewind for the animators, one for the beauty gurus, one for the gamers etc, or by region. It's just too much to take into account now (Jon Cozzart and Anna Akana had a discussion about this yesterday X and X). I was mostly just happy to see Simone Giertz.

Yay happy Pinof day! I'm as the kids (probably don't) say; hyped AF. I won't be able to see it until tomorrow but I'm excited.
obvsly
#relatable

itasca00 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 am
Hey! Thank you so much for everyone who worked on the survey! The results are interesting. I have one question/request though: can we get the results in numbers as well as visuals please? I mean pie charts look great and all but it’s hard to tell sometimes especially when the differences are not that big. I don’t mean to complain or to be rude and I’m really grateful you’re doing this at all so if it’s too much work it’s fine. Thank you! :love2:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

@obvsly I would recommend checking out the interactive plots. (Interactive versions of all of the plots can be found here, and interactive versions of individual plots can be opened by clicking on the plot images.) If you hover your mouse over the different bars in the bar graphs or slices in the pie charts, the total number of responses (or total percentage of responses in some cases) for that option will be shown.

If the interactive plots don't quite cut it for you, let me know. I would definitely work on releasing all of the results in tabular format if there's a demand.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
obvsly
#relatable

itasca00 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:12 pm @obvsly I would recommend checking out the interactive plots. (Interactive versions of all of the plots can be found here, and interactive versions of individual plots can be opened by clicking on the plot images.) If you hover your mouse over the different bars in the bar graphs or slices in the pie charts, the total number of responses (or total percentage of responses in some cases) for that option will be shown.

If the interactive plots don't quite cut it for you, let me know. I would definitely work on releasing all of the results in tabular format if there's a demand.
Ahh thanks! I didn’t know we can do that. I tried clicking on the pictures before (I’m on a tablet right now, not a computer) but it didn’t show anything so I guess I just clicked on the wrong spots. Silly me. :lol: thanks again!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Some of the survey results I found really interesting:

17% of fandom identifies as bi, 15% as straight. 35% marked multiple options apply, which I think can at least rule out straight - so essentially phandom is queer as fuck.

526 people (7%) of those who took the survey have started an online relationship through phandom.

44.6% think they're in a long term relationship, 21% think they're platonic, 18% don't believe they have enough evidence to determine, and 7.6% percent prefer not to answer.

In terms of Dan and Phil's individual sexuality: more people prefer not to label Dan than to label Phil, more people think Dan is bisexual/queer than think Phil is, and almost twice as many people think Phil is gay than think Dan is... but more people also think Phil is straight than think Dan is (though, over all, not very many people think either of them is straight. - 1.2% for Dan and 3.6% for Phil).

I can't wait to see how some of these stack up against 2017 and 2015 results.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

The survey is very interesting, it's such a long page of results, very satisfying to scroll down and keep seeing more. Damn Goog losing things, I wonder how that happened, it's not like their other free services do that, they must have failover servers or whatever, idk. I remember doing a Nerdfighteria census survey a year or two ago that was so long, a lot of us found it had reset and wiped our answers by the time we finished, but that was another provider. Sh*t happens, anyway.

The bar chart labels get cut off a lot so there are two gaming videos with the same name, I think they're Dan and Phil Play Cards Against Humanity which got by the far the biggest vote for best gaming video of the year, judging from the response we saw here and its over 2m viewcount. The other must be Dan and Phil Play Bucket of Doom, the first one and not the Anime version that was only a few months ago so after the survey was done. It's amazing seeing which videos are hugely popular and then the curve sliding away down to almost nothing.

And happy Pinof 10 day! I'm trying to get through another 100 pages of editing before it drops, but I'll probably still have some to go after that. Rewatching and the communal Phandom squee are always good distractions from the grind.
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

Thank you so much @itasca00, @missemma, @mermaid blood, @alittledizzy and everyone else on the survey team!!! This is exactly the kind of thing which made me want to get involved in the phandom, as this is how I express my own interests in things: through vigorous data gathering, organization of factual information, and analysis of the numbers! Y'all are so cool!

Anyway, some very interesting results, however what is amazing me the most is the data which sorta shows how financially motivating Deppy are, or in other words, how much of their core audience they make want to :ourmoney: :deppy:

First of all, 55% of respondents, or 3666 people, reported they were going to TIIT!!! That's CRAZY!!! Event attendance isn't really my area, but I would estimate a MUCH lower number for that!!! Especially since there is so much geographic diversity, and it was only a short time frame, so many people probably had to make additional monetary forfeitures to attend (i.e. plane tickets/long distance travel costs, hotel costs, leave from work, etc.).

And then, looking at the 45% who were not going, ONLY 12.3% OF THOSE 3000 (or 5.3% of ALL 6666 RESPONDENTS) answered that they were not interested in attending! The rest cited financial or logistical barriers as why they weren't attending! That means we can estimate that by April 2018, Deppy had convinced 94.7% of their audience (which were likely to respond to this survey) that they wanted to come see them do a show which no one even really knew what to expect from yet!
Perhaps it was this idea that this was your last chance to ever meet them in person which was a major motivator for some people, but still that's so intense to me! Obviously the people answering this survey were more dedicated than the general "audience" but still.

The other crazy thing to me was merch. Personally, I don't have any D&P merch, and the only YT merch I own I've bought at VidCons as mementos, as well as my parents getting me Nerdfighters/DFTBA merch as presents when I was a kid, so the fact that 52.7% of respondents bought TABINOF (and an additional 15.6% getting it as a gift), 50.5% owning a copy of DAPGO, and 51.7% having bought something from the Dan And Phil Shop (and probably 56.8% owning something from it based upon the satisfaction question) is so surprising to me! I don't have any other data to compare it to, but the conversion rate of "fan" into paying customer seems really high! I would be interested in a general "Have you ever spent money on a Dan and/or Phil product or event?" question as well, or at least pulling from this data how many respondents answered yes to any of the tour/book/merch questions.

Another interesting factor is age, since 15-year-olds were the highest responding age group, so I wonder whose money the younger fans were spending on D&P, and whether they responded as buying things themselves or getting them as gifts (like if they paid for stuff with their allowance/birthday money/babysitting money/etc. or if they just asked their parents if they could pay for it). Also with age, if you are a teenager living at home, supported by your parents, and going to school, you probably have less things to spend your money on than older people paying rent/insurance/grocery bills/utilities/gas, hence why people with younger audiences can tend to make more money.

I also want to know the data from other YouTuber fandoms, to see how Deppy compare, because to me I feel like that sorta separates D&P out from others, their audience is really willing to support them and trust that they will get a good experience or product in return! People keep talking about Jeffree Starr Cosmetics and how strong his brand is and dedicated his fans are to buying all his releases, so I'd be interested to see the numbers for his conversion to sale versus Deppy's (Although obviously a lot of people buy his makeup without liking his videos or caring about him, as his makeup is much less related to his personality/image, so there would be big differences there).
TLDR: One of the standout things to me about Deppy is how much their dedicated viewer base is willing to support what they are selling, be it tour tickets, books, board games, or t-shirts, and trust that it will be worth the price for them. It really goes to show that building trust with your audience pays off in a concrete way!
:moneybath:
Anyway get that forever home, lads!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 pm If you have any thread name suggestions, get them in here!
Last chance, poll will be going up in about an hour and we don't have that many suggestions yet!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I loved reading the survey in depth (hah!) and it also peaked my interest how most of the phandom doesn't label themselves as straight, this is something I've been feeling for a while, following people and even at the live event I attended but it's really nice to see it in numbers
sonicgreen wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:11 am wow i love the survey, so much detailed insight... also the majority of the phandom is lgbt+ and thats a very interesting shift over the years, one that could only have been fostered by how loving and safe dnp and the phandom have been :happytears:
yes!!!

also I can't wait to see next survey and how further it shifts, I remember answering it right when it was posted and a lot has happened this year!
congrats and thank you to all of the survey team, this is something so interesting to have and I imagine it being quite a lot of work to put everything so easily understandable as it is!

Happy PINOF day loves! I'm so excited about it, about december and what 2019 will bring to us
:ribena: <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

pastelspectre
stress mushroom

im hype af for pinof 10 omg. i can't wait to see what they do for it
:transheart: