Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

hello9217 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:28 pm Someone already uploaded all the parts will dnp

You can really tell how much more confident phil has gotten. This reminds of the brazil q&a, Phil just very chill while dan is quite loud in a very dan way. It's not bad but when you compare it to the soft voice he speaks in the commentary it's just very different.
Gosh I just love watching them flirt in new environments. Part one was the best. I love how competitive Phil was and Dan was just entranced and genuinely just wanted to watch him win. :festivedeppy:

So long time thought that I was reminded of: Dan is taller standing but Phil appears taller sitting. A tiny bit could be contributed to shoes and posture, but I really just want to see them side by side barefoot to confirm that Dan has longer legs and Phil has a longer torso. Is it weird that I want to know specifically about calf and thigh lengths, like do their knees line up? Sorry, um go watch the vids if you haven’t. I’ll be in my corner of shame :oops:

Congrats @citizen_erased on your first deppy dream. I had a dream last night that my husband looked like Dan (not dead on, but pretty close, brown curly hair and brown doe eyes, plus height) I know it was still him because we were with his best friends at an amusement park and I wondered why no one had stopped him to ask for a selfie. Also I was able to float so that was pretty great.

Oh no, top of the page again. I feel exposed. Better quote.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

was i the only one cringing a bit while watching them on The Playlist? Don't get me wrong, I love THEIR dynamic, they were flirty and competitive and i'm here for it. But whenever, someone else, someone not close to them who doesn't really know them, is interacting with them, i immediately feel uncomfortable. I don't really know why but it's not the first time it happens to me.
:gayaf:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Ataraxia25 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:59 pm was i the only one cringing a bit while watching them on The Playlist? Don't get me wrong, I love THEIR dynamic, they were flirty and competitive and i'm here for it. But whenever, someone else, someone not close to them who doesn't really know them, is interacting with them, i immediately feel uncomfortable. I don't really know why but it's not the first time it happens to me.
Nah, I was absolutely cringing too and I think it’s because, as much as they were cute and tried to play it cool, they were both radiating mild discomfort. Dan in particular!

Phil has been trying to keep a confident presence lately by sticking his hands in his pockets and he was fiddling with that a bit. (Also between you and me, it drives me nuts when he puts one hand IN his pocket and the other, he just hooks his thumb into. The asymmetry gives me hives.)

Dan meanwhile had his nervous loud presenter voice and I noticed a moment after they took the Santa hats off, he went to fix his hair and then stopped himself? Character growth tbh. But also clearly still nervous.

I give them endless props for always pushing through the awkward, but boy, did I still feel it! lmao

This also desperately made me miss the radio show.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

Omg thank you so much @rizzo! i couldn't pinpoint what makes me feel so uncomfortable and yes, I think it's because they are a bit uncomfortable themselves! I should have thought about this.
:gayaf:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That was a fun surprise. I didn’t think they seemed very awkward, the presenter was pretty chill and they got on pretty well. Dan did look a bit nervous with his hands clasped, but then he never knows what to do with them. Phil seemed fine to me and Dan wasn’t too loud, but they’re all used to presenting and filling silences. The competitiveness is so funny, Phil especially giving the fastest, most garbled answers ever, though he said that intro bit quite clearly. I’d have had no idea about most of those music videos, only bit I recognised was the blurred ginger hair, but I didn’t know which song it was.

DVD arrived this morning, I’m only halfway through the commentary, but there are some interesting moments and now I’ve forgotten what they were :roll: I didn’t realise how big the pins would be, they’re some of the biggest I’ve bought, definitely good for showing off your fandom.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

knq wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:00 am
itasca00 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:16 am So I have a fun question for anyone to answer if they're able: What is the runtime of your copy of Interactive Introverts?

While working on timestamps for the directors' commentary, I discovered that the length of the film is not consistent across platforms. For the specific combination of platforms I was able to test (Blu-ray with directors' commentary on and Google Play), this discrepancy cannot be eliminated with a simple offset or scaling factor applied to the time. (So these versions of the movie don't just have different amounts of blank space at the beginning or end, and they don't just play at slightly different speeds). My hypothesis is that these different run times are the result of two slightly different cuts of the movie.

Below is the list of different runtimes I've been able to collect for different platforms. I'd be very interested to know if turning the directors' commentary on and off changes the runtime on the Blu-ray disc or DVD, and I'd be very interested to know whether the runtime of the DVD is any different than that of the Blu-ray disc.
  • Google Play: 1:58:12 (I own)
  • Amazon Prime Video: 2:03:13 (friend owns/source)
  • iTunes: 1:58:12 (source)
  • Blu-ray (with directors' commentary on): 2:06:19 (friend owns)
  • Blu-ray (with directors' commentary off): ?
  • DVD (with directors' commentary on): ?
  • DVD (with directors' commentary off): ?
So the ITunes/Google Play time and the Blu-Ray time are a whole 8 minutes different? I’d suggest different playtimes had something to do with region, NTSC/PAL, or the BBC logo playing, but 8 minutes seems like a lot.

I just checked my DVD (region 1, NTSC) playtime: 2:03:08. It’s 13 “chapters” and the commentary is the same length exactly.

The blu-ray disc I can’t actually play. :shrug:
Thank you for checking the DVD!

My first thought on this matter was: Maybe there's an offset due to blank space (or a logo) at the beginning/end. My second thought was: Maybe the different versions are just playing at slightly different speeds. Turns out, both of these things are happening:
  • There's about an extra minute of stuff at the beginning of the Blu-ray version.
  • If you synchronize and start playing the Blu-ray and Google Play versions, they very quickly go out of sync.
But this doesn't seem to be the whole story. I synchronized the two versions I'm working with at five different points covering the entire film, and I performed a linear regression on the two sets of timestamps. If there's just one offset at the beginning and the two versions are each playing at their own consistent rate, the function resulting from the regression should be able to take one set of timestamps and convert them into the other. But its predictions are inaccurate. See the data below:

Code: Select all

Blu-ray    Google-    Google-   Diff.
-Actual    Actual     Predict   (secs)
---------------------------------------
0:01:12    0:00:13    0:00:14     1
0:31:11    0:28:42    0:28:36   - 6
1:04:05    0:59:40    0:59:43     3
1:37:20    1:30:59    1:31:10    11
2:03:51    1:56:23    1:56:15   - 8
There are only two situations that I can think of that would explain these results:
  1. The rate at which the movie plays is inconsistent when the directors' commentary is turned on. I.e., it's sped up in certain parts and slowed down in others. I guess this could make sense if they're trying to make room for something Dan and Phil are saying or getting through parts of the film where they didn't say anything. However, this explanation seems technically infeasible, and it also seems like it would be visually and audibly noticeable when watching the film.
  2. There are (small) parts of the movie in one version that are not included in the other. I.e., there are two slightly different cuts of the movie out there.
I'm not sure I have the patience to go through the two versions I have to see if I can pin down exactly what's happening, but I am curious to know what the differences between the two versions are. It will also be interesting to see how these differences come into play when the Twitter watch party happens...

If anyone with a copy of Interactive Introverts is bored, they could look up the timestamps for the audio cues I used to perform the regression above, and I could use those data to see which versions of the film match. My guess is that the DVD and Amazon Prime Video versions match the Blu-ray version, and the iTunes version matches the Google Play versions. But who can say for sure? If anyone wants to do this, the timestamps above will give you the approximate location within the film to look for the cues listed in the spoiler below.
  1. The documentary announcer starts saying "Dan and Phil. Also known as..."
  2. Before the start of his simulation, Dan starts saying, "Fine. Fine. Whatever. Only if they take it completely seriously."
  3. While Dan is on the wheel after Phil has hit him for the first time, Dan says, "That hurts!"
  4. While reading the dilemma in "Dan and Phil Dilemmas," Dan starts to say, "Some jellyfish can kill you!"
  5. After they've finished their musical finale, the music starts to play again as they take their bows.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
kavat
pastel persona

@itasca00 I applaud your research and attention to details! :thumb: I hope you figure it out.

The Playlist was a nice surprise, I wonder why they didn't mention it anywhere. Maybe because iplayer is UK only? Not that it's an issue as long as the heros of fandom upload it elsewhere. The first part was the best, especially how Dan just gave up the game and wanted to help Phil win, and then called him King of memory for getting the song after a lot of help. Well done there, Dan. :lol:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

As cringe as their appearance on The Playlist was, it did make me miss the radio show a lot. Like, even more than usual. Aside from that it gave my some unwelcome flashbacks to Friday Download.

I haven't said anything about Golf With Bants yet despite having watched it a grand total of 3 times already, so let's do that. When I die, I want all the golf videos projected on my gravestone. I love those videos so much, it's the DAPG content that always delivers and yet is so underappreciated by many. Thank you Deppy for even finishing the series despite it getting little love in terms of views. I'm sad to see these end, but it was the finale I could only dream of. Now we need a new slooooow friendly competitive game that allows for extreme banter...
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
knq
lava lamp

Is this a pre-recorded show or were dnp on it today? I'm curious because Dan's hair looks so short. Did he get it cut again?

I love how unprepared they seem to be. In the first clip the host pulls nothing out of her stocking and Phil's just like "???" before looking off camera at someone like "what's happening?"

A surprising amount of Phil doing the talking for a public event! I can't tell if Dan was quiet or if they just edited out a lot of awkward waffling.

Also just curious, has anyone else noticed that Dan's been saying "I know" in a particular tone of voice a lot lately? He goes through phases of using different words a lot (which is valid. ey!) but I noticed the "I knows" because his tone is gentler than normal.

eta the "Greatest Life Moments" screen when Dan uses hyperbole are genuinely hilarious.
kavat
pastel persona

I'm rewatching the golf video and the What what in the putt reference just came back to hit me in the head, and I had to go and look for the original video. I need you to suffer with me, I'm sorry.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I don't currently own any copy of II so I can't be of any help with the analysis but I'm riveted by the time differences. I'm genuinely hoping someone with a copy/copies of it does decide to sit down and figure out what's going on at those timestamps.

My favorite bit of the radio show was them roasting Dan for saying "of my life" about every emphatic statement he makes by doing a whole graphic about it. I have no idea if that's something they normally do on that show or not, but lol.

I'm also gonna take this opportunity to spon the Redbubble shop again - right now with the code LASTDAY you can get 20% off your whole purchase. This site costs money to run and we're hoping that by doing this shop and offering you guys some fun stuff - (and taking donations -which you can make here) that we can keep our fundraising efforts contained to once a year! A lot of the designs are offered on multiple items, and if you see a design you want on something that isn't available just let us know.
itasca00
moon room

@Catallena Congratulations! That was by far the worst thing I've seen in a very long time.
:gg:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

The joys of living 8 hours behind the UK means I got to wake up to that CBBC thing and uh, I can't say I was a fan lol. It was definitely really awkward to me, and I was getting those vibes mostly from Phil's body language. Though I will say it was nice to hear him talk/initiate the talking more than usual, and I love that Dan really gave up during that game so Phil would win. And those moments where they froze on Dan's dramatic life statements were great. Also, I'm loving the hq quiff footage. I hate how it made me picture how glorious it would have been if Phil had gone the quiff route while they were still on the radio (cue me missing the radio show like I'm not already all the time anyway), but that's just me still loving it a lot haha (though side note on the topic of hair: I was a bit disappointed to see the 2015 photos they used for the 8 bit game tbh).
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

^ i FULLY face-palmed when i seen those old fringe photos.
i didn't find it unbearably awkward, but it was a bit cringe. especially when the interviewer reached into the bag and dnp were like ??? and with the box opening and remote control... hmm. why.
it was weird but nice to see them back at the BBC, especially with their glow up. not sure if dan was nervous, he came off confident i think? but then again i get loud and talkative when i'm having bad anxiety.
overall it was mostly just dan praising and admiring phil for his true talent.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I apologize for being a terrible demon, but when the BBC playlist presenter first said "You two are gamers", right after they picked Troye & Ariana as their duo, my brain heard "You two are gay men" and I was like WHATTTT.

I had to rewatch a few times like, "did I hear that right? I really hope this isn't where they get outed (not that I want them to get outed at all)." But also it was clearly pre-recorded so I was like, uh, that wouldn't happen.

Did like the "There's no dan without phil, or phil without dan." and neither of them even trying to disagree. Very different than the "we are separate people" days, per usual.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Sorry for the off-topicness, but does anyone else think that we'll be getting some sort of festive AmazingPhil video early next week? When they told us in the liveshow on Monday (12/10) that they had two (gaming) videos to upload before Dilmas, I figured it would be one within that week and one early the next week, but both were uploaded this week (Tuesday and Friday, 12/11 and 12/14). If Dilmas starts on Thursday 12/20 (so that there'd be five days of Dilmas and PINOF bloopers on Christmas day, like last year), I feel like it'd be kind of weird for them to upload both non-Sims gaming videos this past week and leave no videos for today through next Thursday. So, I'm thinking (hoping) that something will go up on AP maybe Monday or Tuesday?
sugar
eclipse shirt

not sure how helpful this is but: i bought ii digitally on itunes AND youtube and i have the dnpshop exclusive coming as well. someone ripped the directors commentary audio for me since i won’t be getting it in the mail for a bit. my plan was to play the itunes version on mute while simultaneously playing the directors commentary audio. they started out synced up but i quickly found out that the audio of the dvd directors commentary doesn’t match up with the digital version. there’s a pretty big lag after only a couple minutes. i thought it was weird since it’s all the same recording of the show and none of them sound too fast or too slow so i really couldn’t figure out where the lag came from. i think that probably somewhat explains the time difference but i still have no idea why that would be
itasca00
moon room

Much like alittledizzy's earlier spon, I'm going to go ahead and spon the analysis of the 2018 Dan and Phil Survey results again. :D

This week, we learned that:
  • The Phandom is getting older.
  • People disproportionately see their own identities in Dan and Phil (especially queer people).
  • Dan and Phil hate Americans. (Just kidding.)
Also, a couple of corrections:
  • The plot I previously showed for the age distribution of IDB Phandom members was based on an incomplete set of data. The plot has been updated in my original IDB post, and it can be seen in the Tumblr post below (along with age distributions for the Phandom members of other social media platforms).
  • The plot I previously showed of how the Phandom's perception of the nature of Dan and Phil's relationship has changed from survey to survey had the labels for "Prefer not to answer" and "Multiple options apply" switched for the 2018 data. The Tumblr post included in my original IDB post has been updated, and I have also included it below.
If you found any of these plots interesting, tons of other analysis plots like this can be seen here. If any of this inspires an idea for any additional analysis that you'd like to see, you should submit it here. (So far, we've only gotten two outside requests for analysis, and I'm starting to run out of ideas for new questions to ask.)
Last edited by itasca00 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

sugar wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:36 pm not sure how helpful this is but: i bought ii digitally on itunes AND youtube and i have the dnpshop exclusive coming as well. someone ripped the directors commentary audio for me since i won’t be getting it in the mail for a bit. my plan was to play the itunes version on mute while simultaneously playing the directors commentary audio. they started out synced up but i quickly found out that the audio of the dvd directors commentary doesn’t match up with the digital version. there’s a pretty big lag after only a couple minutes. i thought it was weird since it’s all the same recording of the show and none of them sound too fast or too slow so i really couldn’t figure out where the lag came from. i think that probably somewhat explains the time difference but i still have no idea why that would be
I did the same thing (ripped commentary and Itunes) and it definitely happens at various points throughout the show. I got it synced up a few times and then it would quickly fall out again.

The CBBC thing was slightly awkward but no more than most celebrity interviews. I've been watching lots of Years & Years interviews recently and they run into the same issue. Presenters have to be really hyped up which doesn't always match the guest. Especially when its kids tv/radio.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

So I went to the pop up shop today. Not gonna lie I was a bit underwhelmed tbh, the space is huge and they don’t seem to have much stuff in there. The way they sold it with three separate sections, the Phil bit merges in with the D&P section and then Dan just has an area that is dark. I think I’m comparing it to the Brighton shop as it was really small but made it seem like they had loads of merch. I wanted an “ugh” hat but they didn’t have any, and also the postcard set, they had 3 left out and we had to ask if there were anymore. The snow globe thing was cool but if you have mobility issues then no way you can get in it (plus the “snow” is literally shredded carrier bags and got stuck to my gfs jumper and she had it on her all day haha). I expected it to be heaving however there was only us and one other group in there so that was nice. They do have a super cute Christmas tree in there though which has the whiskers mug on there as a decoration. Was sweet!

I just watched the BBC thing, wah it made me miss them on the radio so much. The presenter was too much though, it’s a shame they didn’t get just to present it as a one off as I would have enjoyed it a lot more. Can they please just do a few more random radio shows, I didn’t realise how much I need that in my life 😂
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Pop Up Shop Giveaway for Phandomgives
Okay that takes up a bit of space but I don't want anyone to miss it. Sorry :shrug:
Link to donate is http://bit.ly/PG-Phil32 :ribena:
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
thedtomyp
placenta

Hey guys! I was just checking some statistics on Phil’s socialblade and I noticed that he had just randomly lost over 1000 subs on Friday. So I checked Dan’s page and found out that about the same amount had unsubscribed him also on the same day. Did something happen on friday (the 14th of dec) or why did so many unsub them on that exact date? I’m sad seeing them lose so many subscribers :(
itasca00
moon room

@thedtomyp
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:18 pm Youtube is going to clear spam accounts (source link) today/tomorrow.... I wonder how much of a drop Dan and Phil will see for that?
fancybum
senpai

snokoplasmic wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:40 pm Sorry for the off-topicness, but does anyone else think that we'll be getting some sort of festive AmazingPhil video early next week? When they told us in the liveshow on Monday (12/10) that they had two (gaming) videos to upload before Dilmas, I figured it would be one within that week and one early the next week, but both were uploaded this week (Tuesday and Friday, 12/11 and 12/14). If Dilmas starts on Thursday 12/20 (so that there'd be five days of Dilmas and PINOF bloopers on Christmas day, like last year), I feel like it'd be kind of weird for them to upload both non-Sims gaming videos this past week and leave no videos for today through next Thursday. So, I'm thinking (hoping) that something will go up on AP maybe Monday or Tuesday?
I'd like to will into existence Phil doing a 'trying to see things without my glasses' video because Jenna's was pretty funny and I think his eyesight is worse than hers? Throw in Dan photoshopping festive pics to be horrifying and I'd be happy for that to be his vid to close out the year :epictree: (assuming another one is even coming before 2019, of course).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Ablissa
pastel persona

:epictree: FESTIVE #SPON :epictree:

Just a reminder that we're hosting our festive watch fest tomorrow, December 16th, at 1 PM and 7 PM UTC!

We're using rabb.it as this is what won the vote, so we'll be able to chat in real time, but I really hope all of us will still come here to discuss afterwards. That's probably the best part of these watch parties! There will be questions being posted that you can think about. We won't focus on comparing the videos and instead discuss them more in depth :cool: by themselves.

We're watching the following:
:gift: Festive DITL
:gift: THE TREE
:gift: Gamingmas - Millionaires
:gift: Phil's interactive Christmas adventure

I hope to see you all there!
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1606
Last edited by alittledizzy on Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited link