Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

Okay when Phil said “So you’re chosing a mistake?” I heard Dan’s snappy mumbly voice saying “Anything but you is a mistake.” in my head so clearly I thought he had actually said it :facepalm2: I think I need a holiday :bedtime:
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Well I sure didn't expect to wake up to whatever that was! It was like they went "look, there's still 4% of our audience that think we're straight, we need to do something about that before the year is over". Seeing them discuss potential boyfriends for 17 minutes was a great start to my week (and it made me want to listen to 90s Heartthrob on my commute). I remember those games from the 90s, I had one called Girl Talk which was basically truth or dare but with awful plastic hair curlers involved. Dark times.

To think that they were so reluctant for so long to play board games on the gaming channel, when basically all of them have been a success. Just give the people what we want, lads.
OhItsElliott
drama llama
Pronouns: He/him

Just jumping on to say this video was such a blessing. I have been very emotionally satisfied and I will need to re-watch this many MANY times to take in all of it. But my first impression was just being so damn happy about how open they're being and have been recently compared to a few years ago, it just warms my heart so much! For some reason seeing Phil especially being open about his attraction to men gets me, maybe because he's typically the more closed off of the two. :prideheart:

I also love that they've started playing board games on the gaming channel because it really does let them interact and play off of each other. Hopefully, they'll do this one again!
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I've already lost one of the pin badges that came with the dvd. I really think they made them a tad too big and the plastic backs aren't the best idea. Still I'm glad it was the hexagon thing.

This video was everything. I always love when they play board games. Mostly because they're ones we know they actually play.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Waking up to a notification saying "who dan and should date" was something.

This video healed me, it was hilarious and yes, i feel emotionally satisfied now. I remember when last year people were like "hm, dnp playing a man-dating game? That would be awkward" when Dream Daddy came out, and look at them now. They were just having a blast and i think it's one of the best videos they've ever uploaded.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
liola
rankussy

That video was something else. It was almost 1am for me so I thought it was an accidental upload, especially because at first I didn't read the WHO part of the title and 100% thought it said "should Dan and Phil date?"
I think it's a testament to the blessing of 2018 that I only had a mild heart attack at that idea and not fully died

The video was so funny and cheeky and they were in such good moods, it made me smile all the way through. Plus 17 minutes of them discussing potential boyfriends, flaws and good looks, without a single joke about being single when it would be so, so easy? I'm just warm yall just a puddle on the floor. How do people think they're straight? I refuse to believe it, I am straight and I never thought they were I just don't understand, their male attraction has been so prominent especially in the past years.

I loved their love for Richard, I can relate I would 100% date him.

Also as @kavat I also couldn't stop thinking about 90s heartthrob by Superfruit, I highly recommend (and the entire album), Scott and Mitch nailed the aesthetic of the 90s (plus I'm always here for some love for them)
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
knq
lava lamp

I’m wondering if anyone else made this very weird association—

tw serial killer
Dan kept talking about how the men with creepy smiles had killed 10 people or wanted to see Phil’s insides and it made me wonder if he’s aware of the serial killer who was on a game show, the Dating Game, in the late 70s, because that’s really what the game and Dan’s commentary made me think of. It creeped me out even though I enjoyed the video. The combination of intense prescribed heterosexuality and gender roles with pastel colors, a game show atmosphere, and the option for girls to pick the (35 year old) “man in her life” from 30 cards is funny-creepy but also scary-creepy.
On a related but much less weird note, I found it interesting that Dan’s reasoning for not wanting to date the men was that they scared him or looked like they’d hurt him. I appreciate how much Dan seems to thirst for muscular men but also doesn’t actually want them anywhere near him.

Phil’s ‘judging you’ attitude to Dan saying he wanted to heal the person he was dating was everything. Don’t worry Phil you’ve always been perfect the way you are.
Lonian
not a first-time poster
Pronouns: She/her

Is anyone else here because they're boycotting Tumblr in protest?

Anyway, I watched that video in a state of disbelief. They really don't give a F anymore, huh? The game kind of creeped me out whenever I remember that it was marketed to teen girls though.

On another note, I'm not a native English speaker, and closed captions on their videos will help TREMENDOUSLY, especially when they're talking over one another. I realized that I missed quite a few words when reading the timestamps here. So, to anybody doing the captions, a big thank you!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

They are on a roll. They sure know how to give the people what they want with this dating game. The golf video was just pure filth too :lol:
Phil did roast Dan a couple of times, and it's nice to see the roles reversed (on camera at least) for once. It's funny how they did know who they would pick, even if the reasoning behind it was supposedly incorrect. Or maybe that's where they just made up reasons to be sneaky sneks and let their sense of competition flourish.
To me this video was another clear signal that they are indeed single. Just two (not completely straight) friends talking about the guys they'd want to date (just as the girls playing it would) so it is odd to me how people take it completely differently.
If the dilmas bants come even close to this level of fanservice, christmas is saved :lol:
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
double dimple
smol bean

I really loved the whole video, but something that I love in particular is that they don't play it as if they were, for example, the girl on the front of the box. They never said, "well if I were that girl, this is who I would want to date because…". Instead, they fully embraced the game and made decisions based on their own personal preferences.

Also, I think we can add this video to reasons why Dan is Phil Trash #1 because he guessed Phil's choice right in every round and the reasoning behind those choices :happytears:
kavat
pastel persona

I think there were many chances of making jokes about being single, going on dates or searching for a partner in real life, but they didn't mention that once. To me it reads like two people in a committed relationship having fun with an outdated dating simulator game, talking about the qualities they value in men. Many of which can be found in either of them. Phil said he likes a guy who's a fast food freak, Dan identified himself as a fast food freak, and they didn't make any deflecting jokes about it. That to me speaks volumes about where we're at in 2018.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

kavat wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm I think there were many chances of making jokes about being single, going on dates or searching for a partner in real life, but they didn't mention that once. To me it reads like two people in a committed relationship having fun with an outdated dating simulator game, talking about the qualities they value in men. Many of which can be found in either of them. Phil said he likes a guy who's a fast food freak, Dan identified himself as a fast food freak, and they didn't make any deflecting jokes about it. That to me speaks volumes about where we're at in 2018.
I agree. I mean, it's not like they were actually going on a date with any of those guys (but I'll be honest, Phil x Richard really intrigues me, it's the chaotic pair that I would end up loving in an AU).

To me, this video had the same vibes of the Tinder spon where Phil didn't even download the app and Dan didn't make a joke about being single once. What can I say, sometimes their silence is way more telling than their words. :shrug:

I also don't like this idea that everything they do, they do it for 'fanservice'. Sure, they know their fanbase and they know that we love that stuff, but i also believe that they do what they do just because they want to. They're not good at acting, and you can always see when they're into something or not. And in the case of this video, they totally were. Let's embrace the fact that they're not scared of playing these kind of games anymore, that they actively want to and that they know that a big part of the audience watching them will be happy they did, for more than one reason.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

don't know how anyone could get single vibes from this vid.. they're not LITERALLY looking for a potential partner with this heteronormative board game from 1988.
i feel like anyone who's reasoning is
"they're single because of (...)" in 2018 is just..... :bighug:
really grabbing for twigs at this point. there was simply no implication that they are single when playing this game. especially when they related the characteristics they liked to the other person.
unless dan or phil is really going to seek out actual Richard from this board game and run off with him to another city, buy an apartment on a whim, and another one and another one and eventually a house with a dog and be together for the rest of their days,,, then i don't think that is video seriously implies ACTUAL dating.
but i applaud your creative mind of endless, unique scenarios.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Ribona
crusty sponge

It kind of reminds me of when Rose and Rosie played a 90s board game called "Dream Phone" where you had to discover who you're secret admirer was and it was just good fun for them, who are a married couple. :rainbow:

P.S.: Dan responding to someone on Facebook commenting about how they should date each other is wild ahahah
hello9217
flower crown

Idk they used to play this game back in 2012 with Bry and at that time, she wasn't single. I don't think that a qualifier to play this game is you have to be single. It's not like it's that serious and whoever you choose is the person you going to be dating, just some lighthearted game. :shrug:

Oh and eta that i hate that if dan and phil do something that we really like, it is seen as fan service. No one asked them to play this game, majority probably don't even remember they had this game. They just wanted to play this game because they really like it.
quercussp
living flop

What do you guys think about the facebook comment Dan replied to? (i would insert a screenshot but idk how) It is quite wild, especially on facebook
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Implying that playing this game makes them single is wildly hilarious when you consider it was a mass-produced board game from the 1980s/1990s. I'm pretty sure relationships never ended over the implication that picking a piece of cardboard with someone's picture on it was a betrayal to the commitment.
quercussp wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:23 pm What do you guys think about the facebook comment Dan replied to? (i would insert a screenshot but idk how) It is quite wild, especially on facebook
This one, right?
I love it so much. It just makes me feel all warm and happy to see Dan unafraid to respond to things like that. He's joking, but not lashing out - responding but not denying (or confirming, obviously, it's pure neutral). I like the joke about how facebook is clearly the place he's most likely to see things, since facebook gets the least comments.

I also love this reply. I know it's something people have been asking for for ages.
I hope he follows through on it.
liola
rankussy

I personally think his reply is amused and sarcastic. Every other comment was "each other" on Twitter as well, I'm sure they were expecting it with that title, and even then it's nothing major. I think Dan has gotten better at ignoring these things and he chose to reply iij that way because it's not a big deal. Some people are overreacting about it imo.

It's 2018, not 2012 and Dan isn't acting or feeling the same way about these comments. He's grown up, he's not as scared, he's come to handle his audience in better ways. I for one think that poor girl will get a lot of hate for something that was an innocent joke tbh
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I completely agree. I think his reply comes off as more of a “Daniel Lester, good suggestion” moment and less like the “want to hear about me wearing phil’s Jacket?” moment.

Anyways I am still loving the video after watching it 3 times and I just hope that dilmas is great too
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Tessa is a hero and definitely better than me - I would have said the same thing without the JK part because idgaf.

I agree that Dan's reply is not that surprising in 2018 but still it makes me happy because it shows how much he has grown and how more comfortable he feels these days.

And yes, they were definitely expecting this kind of reaction with that title.
kavat
pastel persona

I love that. They definitely knew what they did when they named the video and Dan's reply is just perfectly ambiguous. It's a joke but not really, he acknowledge the elephant in the room without really acknowledging it. It's very Dan.

The typo in the reply about captions is also very Dan, lol.
alien
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:33 pm
I also love this reply. I know it's something people have been asking for for ages.
omg this makes me so happy!! I really hope he follows through with it because that would be such a blessing! I really wish they could have closed captioned the directors commentary so if anyone transcribes it I hope it gets brought here.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

The last 24 hours are really fucking with me on a molecular level.

@idk's tweet about how they played this game in 2012 made me realize this wasn't just like a recent board game night with Bryony that inspired them to chuck this onto the gaming channel. Instead, they made the decision - this festive 2018 holiday season - to play this game on their gaming channel that they've known about for ages. They actively chose to go Full Male Attraction on December 16, 2018.

Then suddenly it's morning on the 17th and we discover that Dan's acknowledging comments that he and Phil should date.

This is going somewhere.

Wake up, sheeple!!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I detect some sarcasm in Dan's reply, though it's hard to say. Maybe he couldn't care less and he genuinely thinks it's bold. But my bet is on sarcasm because I would be surprised if he found it that bold a tweet. Half of all stan accounts have jokes likes this and so have a lot of replies on his tweets especially if you read a bit further down...
Of course playing that game doesn't require you to be single, just like not making a joke that you're single in no way requires you to be a couple or demonstrates some truth about the year 2018 about 'how far they've come', imo. It's what you read into it, and clearly the "vibe" some get differs from the "vibes" others get.

This video was bound to stirr the twitter/tumblr pot. I see people joking about how gay the video is, I see people trying to argue against people that it's rude to assume sexualities, I see people mocking people for even thinking Dan and Phil could be straight, and now no doubt the girl that Dan replied to will get slammed by even other people.
I find all this policing abhorrent and childish. Especially when they are trying to claim some moral high ground while being impolite to the person they are responding too. Regardless of differences in opinion I'd wish people don't start piling up on other people for merely making a joke or expressing an opinion they don't hold. But that really seems to happen a lot on social media.

It's interesting that he's suggesting hiring someone, for whatever task. Is this a first step towards loosening the reins a bit and maybe even hiring an editor or someone to help the film video's?
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

alien wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:49 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:33 pm
omg this makes me so happy!! I really hope he follows through with it because that would be such a blessing! I really wish they could have closed captioned the directors commentary so if anyone transcribes it I hope it gets brought here.
A tiny part of me doesnt believe they will actually do it. The II DVD captions are kinda shit and it's obvious no one did a final check on them before it went out. Lots of tiny errors that someone even a little bit involved with DP would have caught quickly.