Joe Sugg (ThatcherJoe)

greenergrass
stress mushroom

I didn't see a thread yet for Joe (I guess he might have been discussed previously under the gleamers thread, but since he's not with gleam anymore hopefully it's fine for me to make a new thread with just him).

I don't have anything specific to say at the moment; I've just been catching up on his vlogmas and wanted to see what other people's thoughts are on him. I've been watching him casually for the past few years, and have found his content steadily entertaining. I don't watch every single video (I skim through the main channel for the ones that appeal to me, and catch up on a chunk of vlogs every now and then), but for the most part I really like him.

First of all, he seems like a genuinely nice person. I'm not a fan of everyone he hangs out with, but I think Joe seems to be a good person with a good heart, and also very funny.

I find his vlogs very entertaining, especially compared to a lot of "daily vlogger" types. He keeps a lot of the same running jokes that I still find amusing (e.g. "I'm not a daily vlogger" or "I'm not a daily vlogmasser" for xmas), and his vlogs just have a different tone in general from a lot of others. Like, he kind of parodies daily vlogging in a way. He'll always make little jokes in kind of a satirical way, like he's making fun of vlogging in general, but also himself. He's got a great sense of humour, and it translates well to his vlogging style.

Of course, he's also a business man too (his video on caspar's channel of caspar interviewing him shows a very interesting side, and I love how caspar tries to push away the walls joe builds up to his audience. He doesn't succeed too much, but it's something, and also shows a fairly different side of caspar as well. It's a pretty interesting video, link under the spoiler), but the way he comes across very light-hearted and genuine definitely works to his advantage. I've noticed that even the more 'edgy' youtubers/critics tend to like Joe even when they hate the rest of the gleamer squad.

Anyone else a fan of Joe? Any favourite videos of his?
scientia
phabergé

whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 am Anyone else a fan of Joe? Any favourite videos of his?
Yes, I love Joe! I enjoy pretty much everything he does, but I especially like his vlogs (for some reason they're the number one thing to make me feel better if I'm having a panic attack or feeling ill). While he is a business man, I don't sense as much of the old Gleam-ness in him as I do in even Caspar. I really wish he'd go into why he left Gleam.
whatdoiknow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 am I've noticed that even the more 'edgy' youtubers/critics tend to like Joe even when they hate the rest of the gleamer squad.
I've noticed that too, such as with JaackMaate (the youtuber who roasted Zoella heavily for the advent calendar) - at about 4:32
greenergrass
stress mushroom

scientia wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 am Yes, I love Joe! I enjoy pretty much everything he does, but I especially like his vlogs (for some reason they're the number one thing to make me feel better if I'm having a panic attack or feeling ill). While he is a business man, I don't sense as much of the old Gleam-ness in him as I do in even Caspar. I really wish he'd go into why he left Gleam.
Do you sense a lot of that in Caspar? I'll admit, I don't watch too much of Caspar (just a video here and there, or him in other people's videos). I think that one vid I posted above made me feel like Caspar was actually a bit less bull-shitty than Joe, but I'm just going off that one video (like how Caspar was the one to bring up media training and call Joe out on using those tactics).

I think their new business is still in the works right? I don't follow that side of it too much, but I've seen some mentions (plus with Alfie talking about starting a new company and stuff - I wonder if that's all related). I wonder if they'll ever talk more about leaving Gleam once whatever their new company/business/whatever is solidified.
I've noticed that too, such as with JaackMaate (the youtuber who roasted Zoella heavily for the advent calendar) - at about 4:32
Jaackmaate's video talking about Joe was actually one of the examples I was referring to. I think part of the reason Joe gets off the hook more than other gleamers is that he's more of a 'lad' so the more edgy youtubers respect him (obvs that's not a good reason, but I think that makes a big difference).
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I love Joe, he seems a decent bloke and I have a soft spot for him, along with a few others like Bertie Gilbert, as he's one of the first I discovered. I don't watch him much, but I loved his video the other day where he dressed up in his mum's old 80s clothes. I watched four or five of the prank-war videos last year, I should probably watch him more.
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Joe is great! He seems like a genuine, funny and kind person. I like to put on his videos if I'm feeling down, always helps me calm down, so I can totally relate there scientia.
I especially love his prank videos and have watched those many times, also Dare Sugg, but honestly most of his Sunday videos are great. I don't watch too much of his vlogs simply because I don't like vlogs at all (I only like it when Deppy do it :D).

I'm glad he left Gleam and he seems to be doing well for himself. Also, controversial? opinion, I *far* prefer him over his sister in just about every way possible.
scientia
phabergé

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 am
scientia wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 am Yes, I love Joe! I enjoy pretty much everything he does, but I especially like his vlogs (for some reason they're the number one thing to make me feel better if I'm having a panic attack or feeling ill). While he is a business man, I don't sense as much of the old Gleam-ness in him as I do in even Caspar. I really wish he'd go into why he left Gleam.
Do you sense a lot of that in Caspar? I'll admit, I don't watch too much of Caspar (just a video here and there, or him in other people's videos). I think that one vid I posted above made me feel like Caspar was actually a bit less bull-shitty than Joe, but I'm just going off that one video (like how Caspar was the one to bring up media training and call Joe out on using those tactics).
I actually do agree that Caspar is less bull-shitty than Joe! I think when I wrote my original post I had just watched the video below and felt like rolling my eyes a little - just a very little though and only towards the middle of the video.
Ablissa wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 pmI'm glad he left Gleam and he seems to be doing well for himself. Also, controversial? opinion, I *far* prefer him over his sister in just about every way possible.
I feel the same way re: Zoella, which is probably why this video made me roll my eyes :lol:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I am watching this video:

and at around 2:23:20, Joe mentions having anxiety and seeing a therapist for it. I just wanted to share this here, because I'm really liking how so many youtubers lately have been mentioning seeing therapists. It normalizes it so much, to the point where it doesn't feel embarrassing at all to go to therapy, whereas even a couple years ago I think there was so much more of a stigma. I think it's great how a lot of youtubers are feeling comfortable talking about this recently, whether it be a more in depth discussion or just a more casual mention about seeing a therapist. It sends such a good message to the viewers.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:57 am I am watching this video:

and at around 2:23:20, Joe mentions having anxiety and seeing a therapist for it. I just wanted to share this here, because I'm really liking how so many youtubers lately have been mentioning seeing therapists. It normalizes it so much, to the point where it doesn't feel embarrassing at all to go to therapy, whereas even a couple years ago I think there was so much more of a stigma. I think it's great how a lot of youtubers are feeling comfortable talking about this recently, whether it be a more in depth discussion or just a more casual mention about seeing a therapist. It sends such a good message to the viewers.
I didn't watch the whole thing but I did spot check through this. I feel like they wanted credit for asking Joe some of the hardball questions but they did so in the most softball way possible. It was good to hear him acknowledge that Hello World was a shitshow but he still tried basically the same line they used before (they fixed things on the second day, most complaints were from people not even there).

That said, hearing him talk honestly about other aspects of his life was really interesting.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 pm I didn't watch the whole thing but I did spot check through this. I feel like they wanted credit for asking Joe some of the hardball questions but they did so in the most softball way possible. It was good to hear him acknowledge that Hello World was a shitshow but he still tried basically the same line they used before (they fixed things on the second day, most complaints were from people not even there).

That said, hearing him talk honestly about other aspects of his life was really interesting.
Yeah, he talked honestly about some things, but he's definitely still media trained especially with the more business side of things (like Hello World).

It was definitely interesting to hear him talk about some stuff he hasn't really talked about, like his anxiety, relationships with girls, and some other stuff (I just watched this last night but I'm already blanking on what was all talked about). He definitely tried to keep his distance from the questions about Zoe, especially scandal related stuff, which I think is fine. It's not really his place to talk about her shit anyway.

I was a little put off by the talk of him holding back his more laddy personality on camera because he doesn't want to turn viewers off. I'm not naive, I know youtubers don't put their whole personality on camera, and also that Joe is quite a 'lad', but still. He seemed to be trying to impress the main host at times, and I don't know that much about this guy but from this one video I'm not a big fan of him. It make me wonder what kinds of douchey things Joe does behind the scenes. I've noticed this recently in some of his videos, where he'll say something and be like 'oh I shouldn't be saying that', but he's adding that because of the reaction his words will cause and not because he thinks there's anything actually wrong with what he's saying. It rubs me the wrong way.

Like I said, I'm not naive enough to think that Joe is perfect. But when I compare some of the stuff he does/says to people like Dan and Phil who are not lads at all, I really notice how Dan and Phil seem to actually care about when they say something wrong because they care about the issue and learning, not just trying to put on an image and please people. Obvs Dan and Phil aren't perfect either, but I feel like what we see in terms of their beliefs/attitudes are probably pretty true to who they are as people irl
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Did anyone watch Joe on Strictly? I don't know much about dancing, but I thought he actually did pretty good. It looks like he might actually go decently far on the show.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I saw it, he was really good. I loved his lilac suit and sparkly trainers, but aside from that he did the dance very well. Promising :thumb:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

No spoilers in case anyone hasn't watched yet, but Joe did so good on Strictly and I'm weirdly proud of him? lol I know absolutely nothing about dancing so I can't really judge the quality, but almost every week his performances have been so entertaining and I feel like he did a great job today. I don't know man, I'm just happy for how well he's done, and I'm going to miss watching the Strictly performances every week!
Ablissa
pastel persona

Strictly final spoiler?
I'm weirdly bummed that Joe didn't win. I feel like he and Dianne did an amazing job.
I'm not from the UK and barely know who Stacey Dooley is (@DryCereal told me, otherwise I would have 0 idea), but I saw that it was highlighted how she was a dancing amateur. Well, isn't that the point of the show? A professional dancer teaching a non-dancer celeb? And Joe was an amateur as well, and you could really tell he gave it his all for every performance. He and Dianne had great chemistry and I really wanted them to win :(
DryCereal
koi pond

@Ablissa Oh my sweet summer child... :rofl:

It should be. If it was a fair competition... :roll:
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed mention code
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Ablissa
pastel persona

DryCereal wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:18 pm @Ablissa Oh my sweet summer child... :rofl:

It should be. If it was a fair competition... :roll:
Yeah, true... Well, Joe did an awesome job. And I just saw this on instagram - I guess everyone's suspicions are correct!

greenergrass
stress mushroom

okay wait what are they actually together?! That's so cute. I know everyone was shipping them the whole time, but Joe always gets shipped with everyone he gets close to lol
George
sad dimple

whatdoiknow wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:37 pm okay wait what are they actually together?! That's so cute. I know everyone was shipping them the whole time, but Joe always gets shipped with everyone he gets close to lol
This was kind of my reaction too. Really??? It wasn't just shipbaiting for the press? As a Dan and Phil stan, I feel like I should have seen this coming. :rofl:

Happy for them! I'll miss watching their dances and reaction videos, but maybe there's more Joanne content to come. Based on the comments Joe's friends have left to that photo, I definitely think it's real.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

George wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:55 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:37 pm okay wait what are they actually together?! That's so cute. I know everyone was shipping them the whole time, but Joe always gets shipped with everyone he gets close to lol
This was kind of my reaction too. Really??? It wasn't just shipbaiting for the press? As a Dan and Phil stan, I feel like I should have seen this coming. :rofl:

Happy for them! I'll miss watching their dances and reaction videos, but maybe there's more Joanne content to come. Based on the comments Joe's friends have left to that photo, I definitely think it's real.
Hahah yeah I know eh. In that interview where he didn't deny the rumours, I thought they were totally just shipbaiting until the show was over lmao. They're so cute together, and I love Dianne, so I'm very happy for them.

I'll miss watching their dancing and reaction video so much too! I was always looking forward to those every week. But yeah like you said, if they're together then I'm sure there will be more content with the two of them in the future
Ablissa
pastel persona

George wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:55 pm

What comments did they leave? I'm old and don't know how to filter by verified on insta.

And I'm surprised too. I guess they are together though? The caption kinda confirms it... right?
George
sad dimple

Ablissa wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:38 pm What comments did they leave? I'm old and don't know how to filter by verified on insta.

And I'm surprised too. I guess they are together though? The caption kinda confirms it... right?
Well, for example Oli White has said "Soooooo....Official?" and Caspar "So happy for you too ❤". For me verified comments are just on the top.

I mean, I don't know. At first I thought that Joe just meant he won a good friend in Dianne, but seeing those comments and people's reaction changed my mind. I'm surprised they published it in the first place (if it's true), they can't have been together that long. And now that the show has ended the real life will kick in. But I hope them all the best.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
kavat
pastel persona

That picture of them is really sweet. I haven't watched Strictly but I watched back a couple of his vlogs from the past weeks and they do seem really cute together. He opened a package of snacks sent to his green room and he just kept talking about how they were Diannes favorites, lol.

I clicked through to her insta and saw that Zoe had commented something about being a part of the family now, so that made me think it was confirmed. Now I'm not the biggest Joe stan so I might just not know, but has he had a confirmed girlfriend before, that has been part of his online life?
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm not the biggest Joe stan either, I just like his videos (especially liked him when he still lived with Caspar, kind of losing interest slowly now, but still definitely fond of Joe).

You bring up an interesting point, @George, it does seem a bit soon to announce it. I also had that thought at first - that maybe he meant they're friends - honestly I feel like that picture cannot be taken as "winning a good friend in Dianne". The picture alone says it all, combined with the comments you mentioned. Also, if it was a friend pic they would have chosen a different one.

Now I'm wondering if it really isn't too soon for Joe to make it all public. How long could they have been together, like 2 months tops? But I hope it works out for them, they do seem quite smitten.

@kavat, I've never heard of an official girlfriend before, at least not from Joe's videos.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I don't particularly like Joe's content but did really like him on Strictly and have found myself watching his vlogs out of boredom this evening (it didn't help because while I agree with Phil's sentiment he seems like a good egg his content doesn't particularly interest me).

As for him being open(ish) about his relationship with Dianne when he never had with an on camera romance before I'd imagine (like most youtubers) the mainstream British media had probably never been interested in his romantic life before and that is probably why he has decided to reveal this one.

I've seen articles about Dianne going in and out of his flat at all hours etc and they may think by admitting they are together they'll take the mystery out of it and her coming and going from his flat won't be newsworthy for much longer.

Also though as I have just watched his treehouse vlogs (which made me sad I'm not rich) I do wonder that considering the vlog content he makes how him having secret relationships worked. Like if he had a "secret girlfriend" would him Zoella and Alfie just not film on a couples weekend, or not go on them, or carefully film without the girlfriend ever onscreen or speaking? I know he is not a daily vlogger but still I still imagine with his content hiding a relationship could become an issue.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

pearshaped34 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:28 am Also though as I have just watched his treehouse vlogs (which made me sad I'm not rich) I do wonder that considering the vlog content he makes how him having secret relationships worked. Like if he had a "secret girlfriend" would him Zoella and Alfie just not film on a couples weekend, or not go on them, or carefully film without the girlfriend ever onscreen or speaking? I know he is not a daily vlogger but still I still imagine with his content hiding a relationship could become an issue.
Afaik he never had any actual relationships before. He's mentioned dating people before, but nothing long-term. I watch his content casually, usually catching up on a few videos at a time every so often - except for the last few months, where I was watching all the weekly Strictly content. So I don't know everything he's put on the internet, but I do know he's mentioned wanting a girlfriend a lot in the past year or so, and I'm almost positive he's talked about never having a real long-term relationship.

So yeah, it looks like he's never really had to hide a relationship before. I'm guessing part of the reason he and Dianne went public right after Strictly ended is because, like you said, with the vlogging and the press following them, it would be really hard to keep their relationship hidden (he mentioned in yesterday's vlog that there were journalists literally going to his 90-something year old Nan's house to get information and that a pap was following them on the way to the Treehouse and they had to hide in someone's driveway to lose them - so yeah, the press are clearly after that story).