Dan & Phil Part 80: You're my plinth of life

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fancybum
senpai

fancybum wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:13 pm The only 'issue' people seem to get stuck on is them not admitting they're together, but as always, the existence (or not) of their relationship is not the equivalent to how they express their sexualities and constantly linking them (as though one confirms or validates the other) is nonsensical to me.
Ahh sorry for double-posting, but this (ironically?) comes across as kind of nonsensical since obvs one would confirm the other in one direction (together? well then duh, not straight - but at this point, or ever, why is more confirmation required?). What I meant was: it seems like until they make some kind of formal announcement about them together, nothing else they do or say as individuals seems to be enough to validate what they’re putting out. They’re more than their relationship to each other - and this has nothing to do with the shipping aspect, ship away! primarily enjoy them together all damn day! It’s about the (maybe inadvertent, maybe not) sexuality/expression of sexuality erasure. The whole ‘your sexuality isn’t valid without x relationship to prove it’ thing. Has this gone into old man ranting at sky territory? I’m done! Just wanted to clarify whatever the hell I was trying to say.

Anyway uhhh, can’t wait for more dilmas later! and possibly more home reno content if they were serious about retirement-homing up the place?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

With a few days space I’m finding the last liveshow is quite pleasant to watch, despite the connection issues. I noticed they wished us a pleasant ‘2 weeks’ which may be in reference to the holidays and the new year, but I’m hoping it means they plan on doing another liveshow in two weeks. I can dream!

Mostly I noticed that Phil joined in with Dan’s soothing thing at the end of the show instead of calling names out. He told people to have a mince pie, another cup of hot chocolate, and that they deserve to be happy. Sweet Philip. :happytears:

I relate to Dan’s being haunted by his childhood bedroom and I also wonder if he’s ever tried staying at a hotel while visiting his family. Like, that’s a thing people do. Spend the day together and go back to a private space in the evening. The comment he made about Dab’s family understanding Evan is a fragile nerd who doesn’t want to talk when he went to take a nap in the last Sims episode made me think Dan would benefit from establishing quiet private space he could retreat to when he is visiting family. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, even if that is a meme.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Yeah, knowing it's ending has just... drained my ability to enjoy it. I'll probably come back and enjoy the Sims closure once the break is over, though.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

This was kind of a throw away episode. They retired dil and tabitha but didn’t really have a plan with what to do with them. Idk...with them having plans to end everything why does it all seem so rushed? I just hope tomorrow’s video is great because it’s already kind of bittersweet to know dapg is stopping but at least give us something to make it worthwhile
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Dil and Tabs tying up loose ends, or Dan and Phil tying up loose ends?
What Dan said in the end felt more like a retirement speech for them. They've achieved everything (minus the dog)... :snow:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i realized that i just don't.. give a shit? about anything in the sims except dab and evan anymore? they just seem to enjoy the Devan storyline more than Dalien or Dil and Tabitha. (not that anyone will, but don't @ me saying it's "fan service" whenever they bring queer relationships into their videos, like the heartthrob one was FULLY THEIR DECISION. let people be happy about same sex/gendered relationships in media. it sucks to be mocked or brushed aside.)

but meh, cool that dil completed a hobby. i really don't want them to leave, which could be a selfish thought, but i know i won't be able to enjoy content if dnp aren't enjoying making it. i guess that's why i don't miss DINOF as much atm?
im gonna go sulk and snuggle my cat.

feeling: ugh, jesus..... gross.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

That was cute I guess. Bit of closure with the mixologist thing, though I'm finding that nothing is going to top that first day for me. I'm also a bit worried they're gonna kill Dil at the end because I don't really want that kind of finality. I agree that things seem more rushed now, which isn't helping my bittersweet feeling about it all.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Meh...it was not the best episode. I am excited for the Christmas episode where apparently Evan gets to come too (Tabitha probably made too many mince pies).
Amiaw
interactive introvert

LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:12 pm Dil and Tabs tying up loose ends, or Dan and Phil tying up loose ends?
What Dan said in the end felt more like a retirement speech for them. They've achieved everything (minus the dog)... :snow:
I am trying to stay positive but that speech gave me those vibes too. The unselfish part of me just wants them to be happy but the selfish part of me wants dnp to keep making joint content of any sort just so that we can all continue to enjoy it. I was thinking about why most of dilmas felt off and even with the superior devan episodes the banter kind of feels forced. Not as much in the first video but they’ve clearly got things they want to mention and they are driving the story line so it leaves little room for actual genuine bants.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Meh, nice that Dil and Tabitha got to retire and complete some life goals but I'm kinda over watching them. And I just don't feel the same joy coming from Deppy as I did yesterday, it's obvious that they think Devan are the more interesting couple now as well (and not just because they're shiny and new). Video was kinda low on bants as well. It wasn't bad, but not an outstanding episode.

Them disagreeing on their parenting style was a highlight though. Is Dan ever gonna forgive his parents for not giving him the advice he believes would've helped him more?

Hoping Devan at least get engaged tomorrow. If not, Christmas is RUINED. :sideeye:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:40 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:12 pm Dil and Tabs tying up loose ends, or Dan and Phil tying up loose ends?
I am trying to stay positive but that speech gave me those vibes too. The unselfish part of me just wants them to be happy but the selfish part of me wants dnp to keep making joint content of any sort just so that we can all continue to enjoy it. I was thinking about why most of dilmas felt off and even with the superior devan episodes the banter kind of feels forced. Not as much in the first video but they’ve clearly got things they want to mention and they are driving the story line so it leaves little room for actual genuine bants.
I don't get Dan and Phil retirement vibes - I think they're just going overboard to lay the groundwork for the end of Dil, because people who didn't see the liveshow won't know 100% that's coming. And in that liveshow Dan and Phil very emphatically stressed that nothing else was changing, this wasn't a life thing, and this is not a Dan and Phil apocalypse. I do not believe they would blatantly lie only to contradict themselves a week later.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I'm just very sad right now. It's starting to sink in that dapg is truly, actually going on hiatus after tomorrow and i really don't want it to, help me. :snow:
I'm aware I'm feeling this way mostly because we don't know their plans for next year yet, but watching all these dilmas episodes is incredibly bittersweet. I'm also livid over the fact that we probably won't get a Devan proposal/wedding; they should have given us 5 days of Devanmas, tbh.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

As always, I’m late, sadly without Starbucks (is this even still a meme) but I’m just now finding some time to write a post on the announcement from the liveshow a few days ago. At first I was shook but to be honest, I’m surprised at how little I really care. And I don’t mean that in a negative way. I just feel comfortable that when the D&P of 2018 say that it’s just a hiatus that’s what they mean. They will be back. Who knows what will become of the gaming channel but I’m pretty sure it will be back and it will probably be better than ever.

I was more surprised because I didn’t see it coming. I actually thought they liked making content for the gaming channel because it was the channel we got the most content from. I mean, maybe they do like it and just need a break for health reasons, all the power to them in that case. But I feel like they’re taking this time off from the channel to figure out what direction to take it in and whatever the outcome of that, it will be good.

I didn’t think they would stop PINOF but I’m weirdly okay with that too. It had a great run but they’ve outgrown it a few years ago and everything about ending PINOF and the hiatus feels like there’s a lot of change coming our way in 2019 and I’m excited for that. I’m not expecting anything earth-shattering but there has been gradual change over the last year already and that’s obviously no mistake so I guess there’s going to be a lot more of that.

I’m sorry for anyone who is upset though and I hope you’ll feel better soon. But I really think there won’t be less of D&P in 2019, despite the hiatus and no PINOF. They’ve been planning this for a while now (Phil wanting to make the mukbang a new tradition and all) and I’m confident it will be great. Different, but great. And I wouldn’t be afraid they might leave Youtube either. They’ve just released new merch and all of this sounds like they’re making plans for the future, not for retiring off the platform.

As for the coming out talk, I agree that I wouldn’t expect it. Like parallel said, a big official coming out is not mandatory for all lgbtq people. I’m probably the only one who still thinks they might not be together (old habits die hard) but if they are, I don’t think they’ll ever outright tell us. At the moment they seem to be doing whatever the hell they want without feeling the need to explain it to their fans in any way and I feel like, as a public person, that’s the epitome of freedom. No fucks are given, we’re allowed to think whatever we want and they’ll just keep living their lives and won’t explain themselves to us. I kind of admire that really.

I don’t remember who said it a few pages back but I really liked the “Dan and Phil are not a TV show and there won’t be a season finale” sentiment. That’s exactly it. They’re real people, there’s no story arc with a big happy end and explanations for everything at the end of it. We might never get an official statement and that’s okay as long as they’re doing what’s right for them.
fancybum wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:05 pm What I meant was: it seems like until they make some kind of formal announcement about them together, nothing else they do or say as individuals seems to be enough to validate what they’re putting out. They’re more than their relationship to each other - and this has nothing to do with the shipping aspect, ship away! primarily enjoy them together all damn day! It’s about the (maybe inadvertent, maybe not) sexuality/expression of sexuality erasure. The whole ‘your sexuality isn’t valid without x relationship to prove it’ thing. Has this gone into old man ranting at sky territory? I’m done! Just wanted to clarify whatever the hell I was trying to say.
Also this. I wish people would stop linking their sexualities to the idea of them as a couple like this. I feel like we might get something like an official coming out from Dan one day (even though he’s already out but whatever) but that’s no confirmation they’re together and it doesn’t mean less if it’s not coupled with a confirmation that they’re together.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Katka wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:19 pm As always, I’m late, sadly without Starbucks (is this even still a meme) but I’m just now finding some time to write a post on the announcement from the liveshow a few days ago. At first I was shook but to be honest, I’m surprised at how little I really care. And I don’t mean that in a negative way. I just feel comfortable that when the D&P of 2018 say that it’s just a hiatus that’s what they mean. They will be back. Who knows what will become of the gaming channel but I’m pretty sure it will be back and it will probably be better than ever.

I was more surprised because I didn’t see it coming. I actually thought they liked making content for the gaming channel because it was the channel we got the most content from. I mean, maybe they do like it and just need a break for health reasons, all the power to them in that case. But I feel like they’re taking this time off from the channel to figure out what direction to take it in and whatever the outcome of that, it will be good.

I didn’t think they would stop PINOF but I’m weirdly okay with that too. It had a great run but they’ve outgrown it a few years ago and everything about ending PINOF and the hiatus feels like there’s a lot of change coming our way in 2019 and I’m excited for that. I’m not expecting anything earth-shattering but there has been gradual change over the last year already and that’s obviously no mistake so I guess there’s going to be a lot more of that.

I’m sorry for anyone who is upset though and I hope you’ll feel better soon. But I really think there won’t be less of D&P in 2019, despite the hiatus and no PINOF. They’ve been planning this for a while now (Phil wanting to make the mukbang a new tradition and all) and I’m confident it will be great. Different, but great. And I wouldn’t be afraid they might leave Youtube either. They’ve just released new merch and all of this sounds like they’re making plans for the future, not for retiring off the platform.

As for the coming out talk, I agree that I wouldn’t expect it. Like parallel said, a big official coming out is not mandatory for all lgbtq people. I’m probably the only one who still thinks they might not be together (old habits die hard) but if they are, I don’t think they’ll ever outright tell us. At the moment they seem to be doing whatever the hell they want without feeling the need to explain it to their fans in any way and I feel like, as a public person, that’s the epitome of freedom. No fucks are given, we’re allowed to think whatever we want and they’ll just keep living their lives and won’t explain themselves to us. I kind of admire that really.

I don’t remember who said it a few pages back but I really liked the “Dan and Phil are not a TV show and there won’t be a season finale” sentiment. That’s exactly it. They’re real people, there’s no story arc with a big happy end and explanations for everything at the end of it. We might never get an official statement and that’s okay as long as they’re doing what’s right for them.
I agree with so much of this, and you worded it so well.

Re: the line I bolded, the more I think about it the more I believe it actually is a creative rethink because they do enjoy making the content together. I think a good part of the issue might be the failing views though, and their desire to not just kneejerk in the direction of a) solely making content they're comfortable with and ignoring the decline or b) ignoring the fact that they love making this content just to chase views. The second one isn't them - and the first one isn't a good business choice. So perhaps that's what makes a break to genuinely consider the options more necessary.
Katka wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:19 pm
fancybum wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:05 pm What I meant was: it seems like until they make some kind of formal announcement about them together, nothing else they do or say as individuals seems to be enough to validate what they’re putting out. They’re more than their relationship to each other - and this has nothing to do with the shipping aspect, ship away! primarily enjoy them together all damn day! It’s about the (maybe inadvertent, maybe not) sexuality/expression of sexuality erasure. The whole ‘your sexuality isn’t valid without x relationship to prove it’ thing. Has this gone into old man ranting at sky territory? I’m done! Just wanted to clarify whatever the hell I was trying to say.
Also this. I wish people would stop linking their sexualities to the idea of them as a couple like this. I feel like we might get something like an official coming out from Dan one day (even though he’s already out but whatever) but that’s no confirmation they’re together and it doesn’t mean less if it’s not coupled with a confirmation that they’re together.
I actually acknowledge doing that - referencing both when I talk about them - the other day and in my mind that was an eloquent explanation seemed more like kind of a half-joke nonsense, so I do want to say again more clearly that that I'm aware relationship and sexuality aren't the same thing. But since I do both believe they are queer and I do believe they are together for the sake of not saying everything two times just for a technical delineation when the topic is something like "oh their attitude in the gaming videos is leading to an announcement" and I want to say I don't necessarily think it is I'm blanket referencing both.

(Do agree that if we get anything it would be Dan, solo, though. That's the most plausible scenario to me. Phil's just gonna take his I-like-the-cock jokes and wear them proudly and consider that all he needs to say about that.)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

It was a while before I got into this one, but by 15 mins in I was enjoying it more since they’d stopped faffing (though that is a good looking spare bedroom) and still had 10 minutes to do something on top of achieving skills. It’s so rushed to get half the mixology skill done in one go, he deserves to have been hosting parties to show it off all the way through. Something, anyway. Parties was always one of my favourites in Sims 2, all the weddings I had with a ton of sims dancing after they’d had cake, it was great.

I’m so glad they’ve told us it’ll be Christmas tomorrow and hopefully no mortal surprises, though Dan dropped “if he dies tomorrow” twice in this and I don’t fricking trust them anymore. Also I wish they’d let Nuki stop wearing that onesie all the time, let the dog be free. Also wish they’d put the dragon sculpture in the house, I told them this ages ago and again just now, it’ll probably start flying around if they display it.

I was glad they had Tabitha do something too, I was always annoyed that they liked her higher paycheck, but joked about her more than played her. Though it was only once Dil got stuck, still her spelunking paid off with glowing crystals and, of course, a batfish. Their reaction to that makes up for not seeing the dragon fly. I’ve barely played my Sims 4 for ages, but I’ve been discovering some fun things through these videos so that’s something. Still, it’s bittersweet, maybe final and kinda rushed. Here’s hoping for a good ending :epictree:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Like others, I also had a hard time enjoying this episode of Dilmas. There just wasn’t enough in it to make me forget about DanAndPhilGAMES’s upcoming hiatus. Nevertheless, here are my highlights:
  • [1:43] I know this is already a known thing about Dan, but it’s still really cute.
    D: When I was a teenager, I was still pretty scared of the dark.
    P: Yeah.
    D: And I still am to this day.
    P: It was like four in the morning, and I had to run home the other day, and I was actually, like, scared.
    D: A scary alleyway in London’s different to a bed in your house.
    P: But I knew there was no one there! I just started to run.
    D: Or wasn’t there?
    P: I was just running for my life.
    D: Well, maybe that’s a good thing. There should be more things scaring you in the night.
    P: Yeah.
  • [4:44] Phil grabs Dan’s shoulder and arm in excitement. :love1:
  • [5:56] Dan's right. Experimentation is fine, but only if it's done at the proper time and in the proper place. :lol:
    P: Just give him a warning! He’s just--
    D: I think we should just warn him.
    P: He’s just experimenting...with computers.
    D: Some stuff you don’t do in the library.
  • [6:24] Woah! That sounds like a pretty strong judgement!
    D: See, Dab never got good grades.
    P: No.
    D: But he’s an actor now. That’s fine.
  • [7:49] Dan baby talks to Nuki, although he doesn’t quite go all in. It’s still pretty cute.
  • [9:10] Unless the bed has leather sheets, I’m gonna have to disagree with Phil’s characterization of the new guest room.
    P: This is looking a bit sex dungeon now with all those padded--
    D: Okay, we need to make it less kinky immediately.
    P: --padded kink.

P: Neutral guest with a tiny bit of kink.
  • [12:13] Dan repositions himself in his chair, causing him to rub shoulders with Phil. :D
  • [12:40] Sorry, Dan, but that sounds like a fantastically unhealthy attitude toward life and parenting.
    D: Oh, God. Parenting moment: Dalien’s home from school.
    P: “But Who Am I?”
    D: “I’m not sure what I wanna be when I grow up, and all my friends seem to have figured it out. How do I figure it out myself?”
    P: “You got time.”
    D: “Pick something--”
    P: I just say don’t worry about it.
    D: What do I wish my parents told me when I was sixteen? Not, “Eh, don’t worry about it.”
    P: Okay.
    D: “Pick something you like, and start working now because every celebrity you look up to started it when they were a child ‘cause they had pushy parents.”
  • [19:17] Phil taps Dan’s upper arm three times in excitement. :D
  • [21:48] Tabitha catches a batfish, and Dan’s reaction is...fun.
  • [23:01] I can’t help it. A statement like this immediately gives me a mental image of Dan joining this club.
    P: “Only a select few know the feel of lumber under their bottoms.”
    D: And I don’t wanna be in that club.
  • Dan and Phil’s individual merch links continue to point to their individual merch shops.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I'm just trying to figure out why Phil was running through the streets of London at 4AM. *why was he out that late?!*
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

plinthofmylife wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:52 pm I'm just trying to figure out why Phil was running through the streets of London at 4AM. *why was he out that late?!*
I think he walked to the local shops for snacks. If he was at an event he would probably have been dropped off by his door.

Alternatively he was at the filming flat if that's not in the same building.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
knq
lava lamp

lilabet wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:07 pm
plinthofmylife wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:52 pm I'm just trying to figure out why Phil was running through the streets of London at 4AM. *why was he out that late?!*
I think he walked to the local shops for snacks. If he was at an event he would probably have been dropped off by his door.

Or he told the Uber driver to turn right when he meant left, then pulled a Dan and pretended he'd meant to do that all along and got out of the car anyway.

But also I have no idea what Real People with Real Lives do at 4am. :shrug:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

knq wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:25 pm
lilabet wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Or he told the Uber driver to turn right when he meant left, then pulled a Dan and pretended he'd meant to do that all along and got out of the car anyway.

But also I have no idea what Real People with Real Lives do at 4am. :shrug:
I agree with your theory. I think it’s the same night as the taxi story but I mean he could have randomly decided to take an early morning walk again or decided it was a good night for flaming shots with friends :shrug:
fancybum
senpai

#whyisphilrunning
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
starwatersong
phabergé

Looks like PJ watched II (according to his Instagram).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Awww look at Marianne them being all wholesome. I'm glad Marianne they followed through.
Also, speaking of ig stories, I didn't screenshot it but Lex posted one on her story of the Dan and Phil Festive Shop. It's just the sign outside, I doubt she went in - the caption was about how weird it is to see people she knows from youtube's names out in the wild.
sarty
smol bean

Amiaw wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 pm This was kind of a throw away episode. They retired dil and tabitha but didn’t really have a plan with what to do with them. Idk...with them having plans to end everything why does it all seem so rushed? I just hope tomorrow’s video is great because it’s already kind of bittersweet to know dapg is stopping but at least give us something to make it worthwhile
I enjoyed the video, mostly because I spent it trying to absorb all the Dan and Phil bants I could while I still had the chance! The only complaint I had was that Dil got an entire room and Tabs got...a guitar? I mean, what, lol? Where is Tabitha's cool room? >.>

I'm not really upset about it, just something I noticed. I'm more upset about losing the bants and the interactions. Tbh, those two things are the reasons I love watching DaPG so much and why I'm going to miss it.
Life is chaos; be kind. --Michelle McNamara
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Confession: I can’t watch Dilmas because I know DAPG is going on a hiatus after, so I’m putting off watching the vids, because somehow my brain thinks that the channel would still not have ended for me if there are still some videos I haven’t watched.

But I still read here though so I at least still know the highlights of the episodes. I’m still not optimistic about D&P’s 2019 yet, so I don’t wanna post and bring others down with me. But it does help reading your varying opinions. And getting other people’s points of view on something that has hugely upset me does help me in putting things into perspective and allowing me to look past my own selfish desires and expectations as a fan. So thanks. I really do hope 2019 will be a good year for Dip and Pip and for all of us. :ribena:
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?