Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

itsonlybeth wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:30 pm I just saw on Adrian’s Instagram story that he went to a theatre in London today...I wonder if D&P are back in London as well?

i'd say yes
:gayaf:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

oooohhh i guess they did go together then. when's phil supposed to be back? today or tomorrow?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:53 pm
itsonlybeth wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:30 pm I just saw on Adrian’s Instagram story that he went to a theatre in London today...I wonder if D&P are back in London as well?

i'd say yes
Well, I guess that confirms it :lol:
~ fight me you ceramic bitch ~
Ataraxia25
flower crown

ratlad wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 pm oooohhh i guess they did go together then. when's phil supposed to be back? today or tomorrow?
i cant remember either!
I have to say i'm VERY jealous of Dan right now and i hope for Phil that he was there just so he indeed enjoyed the show!
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:59 pm
ratlad wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 pm oooohhh i guess they did go together then. when's phil supposed to be back? today or tomorrow?
i cant remember either!
I have to say i'm VERY jealous of Dan right now and i hope for Phil that he was there just so he indeed enjoyed the show!
I think tomorrow? He said 9 days and they left last Thursday right? I can’t remember.

It’s pretty funny if he did go considering he’s dropping his old branding (LION king...ha..get it..I’ll see myself out).
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

If he didn’t come back early I wonder if Dan will go a second time with Phil. I’ve seen it twice, the first time was a class trip to Toronto (when taking a bus full of teenagers over the boarder was easy) and I totally sobbed through the opening number. It’s coming back in town in September and I really want to take my family.
knq
lava lamp

I’ll just be over here waiting on a Dan and Adrian collab now that they’re both (sort of) YouTubers and both (sort of) acknowledging each other. What could they make a video about? Vegan baking?
Ataraxia25
flower crown

knq wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:01 pm I’ll just be over here waiting on a Dan and Adrian collab now that they’re both (sort of) YouTubers and both (sort of) acknowledging each other. What could they make a video about? Vegan baking?
does anyone think that their attitude, them kinda acknowledging each other, is leading to them doing a collab? does it have a purpose or it's just life ? idk!
citizen_erased
truth bomb

knq wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:01 pm I’ll just be over here waiting on a Dan and Adrian collab now that they’re both (sort of) YouTubers and both (sort of) acknowledging each other. What could they make a video about? Vegan baking?
I don't think they're going to collab, BUT, if they do, I want it to be a collab together with Gordon Ramsay to make an actual good vegan cake.
dc34
glabella

Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:14 pm
does anyone think that their attitude, them kinda acknowledging each other, is leading to them doing a collab? does it have a purpose or it's just life ? idk!
I can see how it can look that way but to me its just them reintroducing adrian to the phandom, so his presence on the internet won't be seen as a weird thing. It feels like we're all walking on egg shells around him. Its them normalizing adrian.

Tho I wouldn't say there is no possibility of seeing a collab, i can see it happen just not anytime soon. But that means i actually have to watch one of his videos which i have yet to do.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm not sure I see any of this as Dan acknowledging Adrian. They don't follow each other on instagram - there's a chance they had a conversation about both doing ig stories, but I think it's more likely that Adrian just didn't ask Dan and Dan doesn't know what Adrian posted... and that it's not a big deal anymore. So more like... a very pleasant relaxed attitude about letting whatever happens happens (from Dan) rather than some kind of purposeful scheme.
swofro
angel bean

Late to the party but here's my top 5 dapg:

1) Katamari. I love how excited phil is in the vid, especially when he get to suck people into the giant ball lol. The vid is so wholesome I've watch it over and over again.

2) Dil and Tabitha's wedding. I think this is my fav vid of their sim series (followed closely by them making dil house, buying that ridiculously tall coconut tree). This is also something that I have rewatch a few times. Plus, dnp are wearing suits while playing this.

3) Silent Hill PT. I love this game because it hit that balance between the amount of scariness and entertainment. It is their best spooky week vid imo.

4) Mark of Oxin. I have always been wishing for them to play a jrpg game but this is apparently the only one we got, and I cherish every moment of it. And Phil made it!

5) Golf with Friends. When they first play this game, I didn't foresee liking it this much. But the series grows on me. I love their competitiveness and they are giving us so much banter in this.

I have a hard time picking my favourites, and I assume everyone are the same. Other nominees that didn't make it into my top 5 are The Impossible Quiz (the episode where they wore red tracksuits), Bubble Bobble, Dan vs Sans, Truth Bombs (both) and Charades.
Love is forever
Ablissa
pastel persona

Am I the only one that really doesn't want Dan and Adrian to collab? I think it would be awkward as heck for me as a viewer... I mean, I don't know a thing about their real life dynamics, but I feel like they don't have a lot in common - at least in terms of online 'persona' - and I can't think of anything I would want them to do together on camera. Maybe it's because the only mentions of Adrian we've ever had from Dan were in a negative context, as in, defending him from creeps years ago. I just don't see a collab happening and I'm happy that it likely won't.

On a less grumpy note...

:babuse: #SPON :babuse:
This Sunday, December 30th, we're hosting an end of the year watch fest! At noon UTC and 7 PM UTC, we will be watching Mark of Oxin!
For this watch fest, we're going back to our old format - everyone will watch on their own and then come to the forum to discuss - no rabbits! ;)
After this watch fest, we will hold some votes as to how to host the next ones. All input is appreciated - @lesterchuu and I don't want to proceed without knowing what people of IDB want. :)

If you'd like to participate or want to give us some input, please come chat in the thread:viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1531&start=200
Hope to see you there!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Some fun twitter likes from Phil:
That last one of the phanart is a few days old but I just love it.
starwatersong
phabergé

Looks like Hank Green and Katherine got some II swag. :gift:
Last edited by Catallena on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tumblr embed code
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Ablissa wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:30 am Am I the only one that really doesn't want Dan and Adrian to collab? I think it would be awkward as heck for me as a viewer... I mean, I don't know a thing about their real life dynamics, but I feel like they don't have a lot in common - at least in terms of online 'persona' - and I can't think of anything I would want them to do together on camera. Maybe it's because the only mentions of Adrian we've ever had from Dan were in a negative context, as in, defending him from creeps years ago. I just don't see a collab happening and I'm happy that it likely won't.
Oh I don't want it either I don't feel like they'd have a good on-camera dynamic, and additionally Adrian's content doesn't appeal to me.

Also YAY Hank and Katherine are awesome. Now that's a collab I want- one of the vlogbrothers and Dan and/or Phil. I don't know what they would talk about, but it'd be great.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

opendoor wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:44 am
Ablissa wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:30 am Am I the only one that really doesn't want Dan and Adrian to collab? I think it would be awkward as heck for me as a viewer... I mean, I don't know a thing about their real life dynamics, but I feel like they don't have a lot in common - at least in terms of online 'persona' - and I can't think of anything I would want them to do together on camera. Maybe it's because the only mentions of Adrian we've ever had from Dan were in a negative context, as in, defending him from creeps years ago. I just don't see a collab happening and I'm happy that it likely won't.
Oh I don't want it either I don't feel like they'd have a good on-camera dynamic, and additionally Adrian's content doesn't appeal to me.
Add to the list!
Also I tried to watch some of Adrian's videos, even his two last ones, the cooking ones, but it just makes me uncomfortable. I don't really know why, I haven't dwelled on it yet. It's like some people "hate-watch" videos, well for me it's out of (a weird) curiosity. I think I'm also uncomfortable because I keep comparing him with Dan or taking out every little thing I see and connecting it with Dan. I guess I just have zero intestest in Adrian on its own. Sorry, is that mean?
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ataraxia25 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:37 am I think I'm also uncomfortable because I keep comparing him with Dan or taking out every little thing I see and connecting it with Dan. I guess I just have zero intestest in Adrian on its own. Sorry, is that mean?
Ha, I feel the same, actually. I tried to watch some of his videos out of curiosity but I just don't care? His interests don't meet my own and I reeeeally can't relate to his over-positive attitude and super healthy lifestyle, especially 'cause I'm the polar opposite and I find Dan definitely more relatable (way too much, sometimes). I don't like to compare Adrian to Dan but I guess it's inevitable, you know? :shrug:
But I'll say that I'm a bit fascined by their dynamic and I'd like to know more about it, because it's something we don't know much about (not that I think we ever will, tbh).
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I think I watched a minute of one of Adrian's videos, enough to establish I didn't like the videos as a thing. I remember finding it a bit cringy, but that was obviously not enough time for me to get a proper grasp on his personality/performing style or anything.

I don't think much of the phandom shares interests with Adrian (I mean Dan's lifestyle/philosophy is basically the opposite to his and he's relatable to us) so if he does build up a fanbase maybe it will be separate to the phandom. I kind of hope so, the idea of phandom members just watching him because of the connection to Dan feels a bit icky to me.

I mean there aren't many wrong reasons to be a fan, but I think that would be one of them. And I think it gives Adrian the potential to exploit Dan's following (disclaimer: not saying he's doing that, as stated above I know very little about him as a youtuber).
noodlebum
flower crown

I decided to watch a video or two just to see what he's like, and yeah generally way too healthy/good for me, but his Vegan Christmas Dinner video made me laugh and at least wasn't taking himself too seriously. Won't subscribe simply because, although inspiring, it's just not my bag.
He and Dan doing vegan cooking would be interesting I admit, but I don't think Dan would want all the phans going onto Adrians videos commenting stuff and making it awkward, and I don't think I would either.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

opendoor wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 pmI don't think much of the phandom shares interests with Adrian (I mean Dan's lifestyle/philosophy is basically the opposite to his and he's relatable to us) so if he does build up a fanbase maybe it will be separate to the phandom. I kind of hope so, the idea of phandom members just watching him because of the connection to Dan feels a bit icky to me.
Right now it's very clear from the comments of his videos that most of his fanbase (and he definitely has one already; 40k subs and 25k followers on instagram) come from Dan, so I hope that he does gain some some traction in other areas and attract non-phans at some point. I think that'll be more rewarding from him.

I think what's happening for him right now is that Dan's younger fans are flocking to him. I'm doing a bit of generalizing here - and I'm acknowledging that it's generalizing but when there are hundreds of comments you have to generalize in order to make any kind of point. (So if you are a fan of Adrian and this doesn't fit you, it's fine.) But the people engaging with him seem young to me because they are doing the thing where you want approval from your fave so you give them the most dramatic version of what you think they want to hear. So if Adrian says 'biking helped my mental health' or posts it on instagram there are two hundred people thanking him for literally saving their life because they're going to start biking and it'll cure their depression or they rode their bike twice that week and now they have a better outlook on life. I think people who were fans of Dan already are ready to latch onto mental health issues as a connection point.

What was interesting (and will continue to be interesting) is how much consideration Adrian has for the fact that most of his brother's fans are both people with an interest in mental health issues and are largely queer. There's already been one incident where a friend of his commented something homophobic and at first Adrian just laughed at it. Then people got upset and Adrian deleted everything - his friend's comment, his comment, and the people upset about it. That wasn't too big a misstep; it was a bad joke made by someone else that Adrian just had a careless initial reaction to. But if Dan and Adrian were to have had any conversations over the holiday about youtube I hope it was that rather than talking about collabing or anything. I hope Dan, who certainly understands this by now, conveys to him that his words and actions matter because he's got a lot of young people desperately seeking approval and recognition/representation hanging onto Adrian's every word now and willing to try out anything he says, being emotionally impacted by the messages he puts out there (mostly good so far, but it can flip the other way)... and that's a heavy responsibility.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

:/ my face when I read that. Mostly the young fans and the bloody bike thing.

Also the fact most his fans are dan-fans. I feel like it would be massively unfulfilling to leverage a sibling's popularity. It's kinda like youtube nepotism.

I guess all we can hope is that he uses the platform he now has positively.
thatone
delia smith

I just wanted to mention that I'm 23 and I've watched Adrian's videos for a while now; I knew who he was because of Dan, so that's the reason I looked into his channel in the first place. However I'm very much enjoying his content, and I'm subscribed to him because of that. :)

I love to cook and the other videos of his I find relaxing and nice in general. I never think of him as "Dan's brother" when I watch his videos, although I understand that a lot of people probably do! To me they are just separate entertainers in completely different areas - both of which I happen to have an interest in.

I don't comment a lot here, but since no one else who commented seemed to be watching his content because they find his videos enjoyable, I wanted to say that we are out here too haha! ;)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

thatone wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:36 pm I just wanted to mention that I'm 23 and I've watched Adrian's videos for a while now; I knew who he was because of Dan, so that's the reason I looked into his channel in the first place. However I'm very much enjoying his content, and I'm subscribed to him because of that. :)

I love to cook and the other videos of his I find relaxing and nice in general. I never think of him as "Dan's brother" when I watch his videos, although I understand that a lot of people probably do! To me they are just separate entertainers in completely different areas - both of which I happen to have an interest in.

I don't comment a lot here, but since no one else who commented seemed to be watching his content because they find his videos enjoyable, I wanted to say that we are out here too haha! ;)
I'm really glad you commented! That's definitely why I tried to disclaim that my post was about the majority of comments on his instagram and youtube, and not me trying to represent everyone who watches him.
autumnhearth
senpai

I’ve watched most of his vids out of curiosity, I prefer the art/travel ones to those just talking in front of the camera. They are actually quite beautiful and relaxing to me. While I’m not a vegan myself or into fitness, it’s not that far off from the people I surround myself with (though they’re more vegetarians or locavores who do yoga and go for slow nature walks and that’s closer to my speed as well).

I don’t have strong feelings about them collabing, I don’t see it happening anytime soon, but their both adults and they both have room for evolving their content so I wouldn’t rule it out.

Oddly enough I did find his video about weight loss interesting, but more from the mental health perspective, he admitted to struggling with depression and that he used to drink and smoke when he was 16. Also mentioning how his parents accepted his veganism casually because he was making all his own meals and had become more self sufficient, was interesting. And I even learned a couple things about nutrition.

That said, I have absolutely no desire to interact with him in any capacity. I’m not subscribed and don’t follow him on Instagram, but will check things out if I hear about them or one of the apps suggest them to me.

What do you all think is the likelihood that we’ll get a top memes of 2018 vid from Dan? I personally don’t really want it, I think it’s best left as a trilogy. What would the material even be? TBC/Brazil obvs. Dan’s diss track coming true with him only making 4 videos that year. Anything else?

How soon are we likely to get an ISG? I’m assuming he wants to continue that tradition after reading his mug rant (I’m fine with it dying but if he thinks it helps others and himself then by all means) But I imagine everyone would accept it better after a real vid. This is presuming he’s ready to come out of his cocoon in the next few months.

And then there’s Phil. I’m hoping we never see that bedspread again. What do you all think is the likelihood that he’ll redo the room versus find another spot to film in? I’d be really surprised if it was the former as he said the furniture came with the room and where would they move the bed? I’m hoping they ditch the filming flat altogether, but I’m not sure if that will be the case. Still, I would much rather he film in their actual lounge than in that echoing dull cavern that is the slounge.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.