Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Hello my dears~

Are you starting to feel the drought and need a dose of Dan and Phil? Consider this YouTube playlist containing every Instagram Story posted by Dan and Phil (and the occasional acquaintance) over 2018 :D That's 226 short videos! I bet there's plenty of ones you've completely forgotten about. Maybe share some of your faves here so that we can all relive the good times together?

Thank you all for the support of the channel throughout the year :love2:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
vacule
squish

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:50 pm @bestfriendsclub Dan definitely gained a following amongst the YouTube crowd via Dailybooth first. Those naked booth milestones didn’t hurt. Add to that Follow Friday’s on Twitter and other UK YouTubers promoting his first video and he got a good early boost. But I would say a good chunk of early viewers discovered him through pinof. It helps that he had two videos up before then for people to check out and posted a third two days later.
No idea re lion or the blog but I would love to know on both accounts.
omg I forgot Dan used to post tasteful(?) semi-nudes!
starwatersong
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

Since we have time, I thought I’d share an odd Dan and Phil video that doesn’t have Dan and Phil in it. Not a huge fan of We the Unicorns, but the truly bewildered response amuses me every time.

Stay strong through the winter, friends. Don’t forget, the shared viewing of II is coming eventually.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

That We the Unicorns video is actually hilarious. It does take some impressive skill and cohesion for that many people to all keep something like that balanced!
and Phil being alb dirty
Ablissa
pastel persona

Can I share something cringe here? I just saw this on twitter and I need a support group. 2013 was a tough time.

starwatersong
phabergé

Ablissa wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:52 pm Can I share something cringe here? I just saw this on twitter and I need a support group. 2013 was a tough time.

Oh, I hate that so much. 😒🤢 2013 was a rough time.

Here’s a palate cleanser, if people need it:
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

Ablissa wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:52 pm Can I share something cringe here? I just saw this on twitter and I need a support group. 2013 was a tough time.

i can't read. i've never learned that skill, i don't know what this says.

but oh boy for real,, i get that straight ppl mean well and try to be Good Allies™, but. trying to pass off that your friend is "heterosexual" to other people is more uncomfortable and discouraging than just saying nothing about their sexuality at all. at least in my experience.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
autumnhearth
senpai

Thank you for that refresher @starwatersong. I’ve often thought about making an edit with a second (or three) of alll their videos. But that is so daunting and I barely have the skills and definitely don’t have the motivation. Plus it would become dated quickly.
starwatersong
phabergé

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Cat was pretty well known for basically trying to cover for her gay youtuber friends, right? I know she was close to Joey Graceffa and Ingrid Nilsen. I wonder if she just assumed that the behavior they wanted from her is what Dan and Phil wanted as well? She also had that infamous "TWO beds" moments.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

On the subject of Phil’s Lion, I only remember him saying he was sent it by a viewer from Japan, I think, and beyond that I don’t know why he was the chosen lion, maybe he thought it was special cos it was given to him by a fan, maybe he thought it was cute being so small, could sit up on its own and on his shoulder, idk. He might actually say somewhere for all I know, though.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I'm trying to not be worried about Dan because it's perfectly fine to be off the internet for days when you're on hiatus, but just a lil worried since what little Phil is feeding us has no Dan in it and Dan's last tweet was on 12/31 about him being a human on 3% battery life...

I shouldn't worry, right?

But also I have a real life to worry about and it's super busy so thanks Dan and Phil for taking a break while I work so I don't get distracted, I guess?
Amiaw
interactive introvert

plinthofmylife wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 am I'm trying to not be worried about Dan because it's perfectly fine to be off the internet for days when you're on hiatus, but just a lil worried since what little Phil is feeding us has no Dan in it and Dan's last tweet was on 12/31 about him being a human on 3% battery life...

I shouldn't worry, right?

But also I have a real life to worry about and it's super busy so thanks Dan and Phil for taking a break while I work so I don't get distracted, I guess?
I certainly miss them but it’s not to abnormal for Dan to be his quiet. Last year he didn’t make an appearance until his tweet about wearing slippers and he has been liking things here and there on Instagram - I think he’s just enjoying living life without having to worry about being “on”.

He also used to go quiet for days at a time but since we had so much content this last year it seems hard to remember that he hasn’t always been as willing to share things as he has recently.

I personally find it more interesting that Phil can’t seem to fully relax into the hiatus and I’m really curious to see how long it takes before he goes back to his main channel videos and other things.

But they are both welcome back anytime
autumnhearth
senpai

@Amiaw the hiatus is only officially for the gaming channel, though they do tend to relax this time of year. I’m not really worried about either of them. Maybe Phil actually got wind of our abandonment issues when he forgot to state that he was also going on a “social media break” while in Russia this summer and is just placating us with puzzles and tales of overhearing the neighbors. Personally I’d like my husband to have three hands ;)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

So this is maybe a little off-topic, but awhile back I was hunting down this moment I saw gifed where Phil talked about going to the BBC Radio Awards in March 2014, and since there weren't any timestamps for the liveshow I ended up watching the whole thing and timestamping it since he spoke about it pretty late into it. Anyway, I was extremely surprised by how many interesting moments there were in the liveshow. If you want to check out the full timestamps I did, you can here, but I've also taken some bits out below that I wanted to talk about a little more.
3:09 - Hair cut talk.
Phil: Also in desperate need of a hair cut right now. Not going to apologize for my hair, but it's beyond the need for a cut. Fabrice did a rubbish job last time, and left like, this piece [picks up the front bit of fringe] really long. Look how long that is. So it keeps going really gap-y at the sides. Hopefully he's gonna fix it, I have a hair cut on Tuesday, uh, where I'm gonna shave the whole thing off before Playlist Live.
3:33 - Phil: If I didn't cut my hair, it wouldn't get longer, like old school Phil, it'd just mushroom out
3:42 - Chat: Cut off the fringe
Phil: Yeah. I actually experimented going fringe-less for the first time in about 7 years the other night, 'cause I went to a 1920s themed event called "Secret Cinema", where you had to dress up as if you were from the 1920s, first of all, and secondly, it turns out people didn't have emo fringes back then, so I had to hairspray it up and across, and there's a picture of me on my twitter [talks about where you can find his twitter] (link to tweet)
4:20 - Chat: We have a Phil's forehead fandom
Phil: Really? [laughs] That's intimidating. Uh, yeah, so my forehead was very cold and exposed, it felt kind of naked.
6:21 - Interrupts himself as he's still talking about the Secret Cinema
Phil, fixing his fringe: Sorry, terrible hair today. If I touch my hair just deal with it, [silly deep voice] I'm not gonna stop! I'm not gonna stop for anyone.
6:53 - Chat: Your hair looks damn fine, so hush
Phil: Okay, that's the last time I'll [unintelligible] my hair. But when I have it cut, d'you reckon I should go full no fringe or is that just like, a terrible idea? Would everyone unsubscribe if I did that?
Chat: Do not!
Phil: Okay I won't.
Chat: Never!!
Phil: Maybe in like...2 years. Three years? Sometimes I wake up and I'm like "I really want to cut my hair off", especially today just because it's so annoying 'cause he cut it wrong, uh so it'd be cool to have a change at one point. But I quite like my look, I think I'd freak myself out in the mirror if I had really short hair. I remember once my brother completely shaved his head, and my parents were like [horrified face] "What have you done to yourself"...he looked so weird. He looked like a startled baby.
Phil spends a good bit at the start of this liveshow talking about his hair, and he brings it back after a couple topic changes too. His hair did look worse than usual in this liveshow, so I kind of don't blame him, though I find it difficult to watch someone repeatedly bring attention to an insecurity. That's something most people do though, so I get it, and it did make for some interesting thoughts from Phil.

When I first watched this, I found it funny that he dragged Fabrice through the mud since he held onto him as his hairdresser for so long, but I mean, if you're not getting what you paid for, makes sense (though Fabrice needs a career change anyway tbh). I can imagine how long he must have been trying to fix it up before the liveshow, just going off of how annoyed he seemed by his hair (didn't stop him from making it worse a couple times throughout).

What I found the most interesting was the mention of cutting it all off/getting a quiff. I'm not sure if there had been any other notable time before then or around that time where he mentioned wanting to cut his hair, and while maybe it was more of a product of his frustration at his bad hair cut, the fact that he asked if everyone would unsubscribe stood out to me. As it was a large part of his worry and reluctance to change his hair in early 2018, I think it's remarkable to see him four years earlier worrying about the same thing. I actually didn't even think he was considering it really back then, maybe more after Dan changed his, maybe a bit before then, but not as early as then (though we did get to see him with a quiff a few times, like in festive ditl, but still). I just see a lot of insecurity in the way he talks about his hair here, and I think comparing that to what we saw him be quite honest about last year, it's really interesting how long that's been mulling around in his head, probably festering a bit over the years. (also...if that was actually Phil reading from the chat, who are the people that hate themselves so much they'd want him to keep the fringe??)
10:53 - Phil looks up, then sits up straight and looks over his computer. Looks back down and 'reads off the chat' "What are you eating?"
10:55 - Phil: I'm not eating anything. I was eating some of these [reaches behind laptop]--I've brought things to show you--which were amazing. New York deli chilli and lemon peanuts [talks about peanuts being good but a bit of a rip off]
I mean, it's absolutely no secret that they definitely have loose plans and structures to their liveshows--along with making shit up in the chat--but just watching this moment, his body language makes that so clear, and I find it so amusing. I actually didn't notice it until I played it back for the third time and was like "...wait". Phil is so good at wasting time in liveshows with the random, menial stuff, and this moment was exactly that. I also think it's interesting when comparing to the way Dan passes the time. Both of them obviously make stuff up in the chat (George and Richard sure get a lot of notices huh :/), but where Phil usually talks about random stuff or brings out stuff like that, Dan waffles. I think that's why joint liveshows work so much better than solo for me personally. I do enjoy solo liveshows every now and again (I miss Dan's music recs, even with his somewhat pretentious was of approaching them), but they really balance each other out where Phil's 5 seconds of silence and random bits are filled with Dan and assisted by Dan, and Dan doesn't dig himself into a hole or starts monologuing for ages (though I will say some of Dan's monologues have been extremely interesting). But I mean, besides the balancing bit for me, I'm just a demon anyway so give me that joint shit ha.

Along the same lines of staging and time wasting, I thought this was really funny for getting some time out of the way:
23:39 - Phil wastes 20 seconds with bacon in the chat and shout-outs
(you can watch it here if you're interested. I was sitting there watching the clock and rolling my eyes fondly the whole time while also being incredibly, incredibly bored lmao)

Oh, and this happened right after the staged moment, but I think still worth noting:
11:22 - Phil: I should just do food hauls. Does anyone do food hauls where they just eat on camera and they're like "this tastes nice, you should eat this too" ...Phil's food channel.
13:58 - Phil: I think if I stopped being a youtuber I'd just be a food blogger. Or a restaurant critic. Imagine that, just going to restaurants for free.
Interesting. Maybe Phil's been preparing us for this change for years. Dropping subtle hints, ya know? Trying weird/new foods here, a mukbang there. Maybe this is the true reason behind the hiatus: Phil's ultimate rebranding and new career venture :tinfoil:
18:02 - Phil: I never used to get any spending money. D'you know how much I got? This makes me sound old, uh [laughs] it was really sweet actually, my grandma would give me one pound every month, and she thought that was a lot of money, and she always thought that, so she'd be like "okay, really big treat for you, here's a pound" and I'd be like "aww". Though, at the sweet shop you could get like a hundred cola bottles for so, still a pound goes a long way. And my parents never really used to give me spending money, they'd just be like--I'd be like "can I go to the cinema" and then they'd give me some money for the cinema.
An interesting anecdote about his childhood. Not sure if he's said this at any other time, but I do think it's one of those things that's quite (financially) telling of his upbringing. I never had allowances/any kind of spending money growing up, but I'd say asking your parents for money to do something and then them giving you money is being given spending money, even if you had to ask for it first. He is capita£ester for a reason though, I suppose lol
27:29 - Chat: Phil I have a bump in my shoulder, help!
Phil: I--not being your medical advice, go see your gp--uh, but I've got kind of one there and I had to get it x-rayed when I was like 16, uh and the doctor said it would have been where I've really like banged my shoulder and then it just kind of dislocated a bit, so there's just a little, like a lump, not like a big one. I think I'm growing a wing. I think I'm gonna fly off. [...]Please don't tell me your medical problems, I have no medical experience at all.
Not sure if we'd ever heard this before this liveshow? Or at least in this much detail. I find it interesting though, and something to add to the Phil facts catalogue.
28:14 - Chat: Don't fly off
Phil: I'll be back before you know it
I mean, this isn't anything remarkable, but I found the way he said it interesting, especially since he read it out almost a minute after the initial topic was brought up.
Also, he only directly mentioned Dan twice too, and one of them was just a spon for signed posters (the other one being a vague "we're filming something but I can't tell you yet"). I think contextually, that makes sense given that it was early 2014, but it's also nice to see how now in solo liveshows they both find ways to bring each other up when they don't even need to, nevermind just an overall higher amount of mentions. Growth is good, and it's never been so starkly shown tbh.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

starwatersong wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 pm
so i got curious and one google search away: that's a 200 piece, so something you would make some tea and get it done in one sitting, maybe one afternoon max
and now i have to deal with the cute scene my brain produced of him turning off for some hours and putting it together while being comfy with some blankets and tea ......thanks brain
ratlad
angel bean

i miss dan,, he's so silent :-/ i know this is normal and i'm just spoiled from this past year, but ugh. just at least acknowledge each other's existence.
that's me being needy and selfish, sorry. but for real though, it must feel really good logged off and just relaxed and away from social media. i mean it, i really want them to relax, but i also need to whine somewhere.
knq
lava lamp

I want them to do some sort of travel series of videos, I have decided. Like a mukbang but with food traditional to whatever region they’re visiting. They liked traveling and I liked feeling as if I was getting a travel experience without leaving my home. They haven’t talked about it much since they got back and we’ve gravitated to talking about the BBC and radio, but I think travel videos and Phil’s hotel reviews should make a comeback.

Besides, if they’re planning on adopting a dog eventually it just makes sense to do an international travel series now in case they visit countries where pets can’t travel as freely. It’s just logical is what it is.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i miss them and i'm in a weird state so i don't have anything to say. i just want to thank @obsessivelymoody for the post about the liveshow because it was super interesting and i enjoyed reading it andins the best way to spend the drought tbh! so thank youuuu
:gayaf:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Could it be that Dan is filming?
He used to go quiet like this when he used to film, and he said his channel hiatus was only for the last year.
kavat
pastel persona

LurkingTrash wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:48 am
starwatersong wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 pm
so i got curious and one google search away: that's a 200 piece, so something you would make some tea and get it done in one sitting, maybe one afternoon max
and now i have to deal with the cute scene my brain produced of him turning off for some hours and putting it together while being comfy with some blankets and tea ......thanks brain
I had the same picture in my head so uuh this happened.

Sorry for self spon. Of course I didn't write that at work this morning because projects are slow, who would do such a thing.
lionandllama
squish

ratlad wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:57 pm
lionandllama wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:25 pm Hello and Happy New Year! No better time to join the bants than the first day of 20biteen. Love all your input to different topics and thought I’d like to join the conversation. I’ve been watching dnp since October 2012 and that’s when I made my Tumblr blog called thelionandthellama, I refuse to change my online Phandom persona name, please excuse the cringe. lol

Hope you’re all having a good first day of January! I was so hoping for cute NYE selfies and Insta Stories but they’ve been really quiet, huh.
omg hello welcome !!!!!! legend !!!!!!
Thank you, hello!! It’s always so nice when people recognise me from the old war times of 2012/13.

Speaking of which — Cat’s old tweet. Oof. That was hard to read. I felt a real sting of anxiety just reading that again because back in the days shit like this really disappointed me so much and made me feel hella alienated. I wrote an entire blog post about it on Tumblr recently, about being an LGBT subscriber of Dan (and Phil) in 2012/13 and how horrible it felt and how different it all is now. Might share that some time when I find it again.

In other, completely unrelated news: last night I dreamt they uploaded a video of them playing basketball in a yard (why??) and they couldn’t score and Dan was lying on the ground, panting in exhaustion, with a bandana on, and said “Gays can’t play basketball, that’s why we’re both equally shit at it” and I was like ?????!!!!!!!!! Yeah, random anecdote.
hello9217
flower crown

I don't think dan's hiatus is that weird. Last year he didn't make a tweet until the 5th and that was asking for top dan memes so if you don't count that then he made his first tweet on the 8th posing with his slippers.

@obsessivelymoody thanks for the live show post :D I really enjoyed reading that last night.
ratlad
angel bean

yeah i had a thought that maybe dan was filming something, or at least planning ideas for a video. but idk, man. i don't wanna think about it too much cause i'll get my hopes up.

and oof, @lionandllama it was so weird being a non-straight phannie back in The Day™. i remember getting physically ill and uncomfortable whenever dan would deny the Big Gay. it was upsetting at the time while it was still happening. then there was the majority of fans swarming in and getting mad at anyone who dared to ship dnp or suggest that they aren't Straight Bros. it was like you were committing every sin and crime known to man.
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

lionandllama wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:04 pm In other, completely unrelated news: last night I dreamt they uploaded a video of them playing basketball in a yard (why??) and they couldn’t score and Dan was lying on the ground, panting in exhaustion, with a bandana on, and said “Gays can’t play basketball, that’s why we’re both equally shit at it” and I was like ?????!!!!!!!!! Yeah, random anecdote.
:D I never want that image of Dan to leave my brain.

It’s funny how their silence seems to result in lots of dreams, last night I had a dream (nightmare?) where they announced their break-up. They did a liveshow and at one point went “look, we are still friends, nothing is gonna change, we’re just not romantically involded anymore” (direct quote) when someone asked about phan. The Phandom seemed quite cool about it, I went to Tumblr and my dash was filled with smut fics of them with other people. But I was having an internal crisis; everything I believed in had been destroyed. I had a really long thinking moment and at one point even a conversation with my mum, who finally convinced me that there are ups and downs in relationships, and Dan and Phil would get back together sooner or later.

(fun fact: I only just realized that at least the live show part happened in English! This is like my 3rd dream ever that’s been at least partly in another language, and definitely the first without me noticing it :D Kinda proud of myself, since I’ve put lots of effort into improving my English lately!)

Hoping they get their rest and then come back to stop this madness.