Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fieldoflovers
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

sparkle wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm Petition for Dan to make a 35 minute long video on the state of UK politics right now.
Absolutely seconded and if he can get drunk on camera during it that'd be the icing on the cake.

I will also accept Dan doing a dramatic reading of the 1 star reviews of Interactive Introverts. It's both a chance for him to be dramatic af and also can get some promo in.

Seriously though, I know he's probably putting pressure on himself for his next video and I hope he knows he can ease into uploading again with something lighthearted like a storytime or even an ISG. If it takes him a while to get back in the swing of things there's nothing wrong with that!
edit: sorry such a lame post is on top :rainbow:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I'm so curious to see what they've got coming and I really hope there are some changes. I've missed something re the egg reference, unless it was Terry Crews' photo of his head? I've been trying to do less social media lately, but only lasted 2 hours deleting the apps, I don't go out nearly enough or talk to many people so yay Internet.

I've had such a full-on trip down memory lane this week, though who'd have thought sitting for 6 solid days even watching some of your favourite beans would end up exhausting and boring, so much Twitter scrolling through the longer videos. I'm having a bit of a crisis tbh, my own creative oomph wanes so much more than it, er, waxes I guess. DnP are so lucky to have each other for that.

Annotations have now gone from their channels and SAP too. I did the last two main channel videos this morning and they were still there, though the last few were EE sim card and Tabinof audiobook spon. As I said before, for 2013/4-2017, I only recorded them if I found the notes while dragging the timeline, so if there were any I didn't see, I missed them (ditto gaming channel). With any luck I got them all, it was mostly the interactives (I have a two or three more URLs than I do video clips, so the last few I missed won't have the annotation link outline showing, I hope that's all cos it'll take a while to check, one's in the space story) and Lion conversations. To my knowledge, Lion last spoke in "I Smashed Three Mirrors" where Phil got the space coat with the fake fur on the hood and he says "That better not be lion fur".
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

fieldoflovers wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 pm I will also accept Dan doing a dramatic reading of the 1 star reviews of Interactive Introverts. It's both a chance for him to be dramatic af and also can get some promo in.
I don't know if I want Dan or Phil to do this more, TBH.

Also, seriously, Dan having "plans" for "future videos" has never been in question...executing those plans, however, in a timely manner.... Not his strong suit.

(I am very worried about him putting too much pressure on it. I have the same type of procrastination (perfectionist anxiety) and I would be a mess by this point if I were him.)

Edited to add: @flarequake I really appreciate your work on all the documentation. I attempted to do it but I was just doing screenshots, and your work seems much more thorough. Thank you for your archival devotion!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

flarequake wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 pm Annotations have now gone from their channels and SAP too. I did the last two main channel videos this morning and they were still there, though the last few were EE sim card and Tabinof audiobook spon. As I said before, for 2013/4-2017, I only recorded them if I found the notes while dragging the timeline, so if there were any I didn't see, I missed them (ditto gaming channel). With any luck I got them all, it was mostly the interactives (I have a two or three more URLs than I do video clips, so the last few I missed won't have the annotation link outline showing, I hope that's all cos it'll take a while to check, one's in the space story) and Lion conversations. To my knowledge, Lion last spoke in "I Smashed Three Mirrors" where Phil got the space coat with the fake fur on the hood and he says "That better not be lion fur".
Honestly.... :stan: :stan: :stan: :stan: :stan: :stan:

Bless your heart for doing all of that work and managing to slide it in at the last second. You're incredible!!!

I'm honestly so sad that annotations are gone, but so appreciative of your hard work. Lion's commentary just disappearing would have been a tragedy.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

fieldoflovers wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 pm
I will also accept Dan doing a dramatic reading of the 1 star reviews of Interactive Introverts. It's both a chance for him to be dramatic af and also can get some promo in.
i've started laughing thinking about this.
:gayaf:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Ataraxia25 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 pm
fieldoflovers wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 pm
i've started laughing thinking about this.
I want this almost as much as I want Phil to be the host of GBBO. This seems more attainable.
starwatersong
phabergé

For those not in the know (sorry if someone else explained above): a simple picture of an egg became the most liked picture on Instagram.

Interesting D&P link: The egg makers are donating 10% of their merch profits to YoungMinds.
This also amused me:
Ablissa
pastel persona

The egg thing is interesting and amusing. I wonder if Dan knew about it?

On another note, it's Wednesday... I'm kind of thinking Phil might upload on Friday and I'm getting a bit antsy because I need it to be right nooow.
I've been thinking about the types of videos I'd like to see, and I remembered that Christmas baking was a thing we were almost promised and never got :( Maybe Easter baking will still happen? But if they're moving it might not, I guess. I don't know why I'm posting this ramble, I just feel stupidly restless and I want them to do something :lol:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:35 pm I've been thinking about the types of videos I'd like to see, and I remembered that Christmas baking was a thing we were almost promised and never got :( Maybe Easter baking will still happen? But if they're moving it might not, I guess. I don't know why I'm posting this ramble, I just feel stupidly restless and I want them to do something :lol:
Christmas baking not happening was the biggest betrayal of 2018 and I cannot believe Phil did that to us. I thought he was the reliable one, smh.

RE: Easter and Baking. I think it's hard to speculate because IF they're moving we don't know WHEN. For example, if they're moving in March, Easter baking could still be possible since Easter is at the end of April this year.

Someone on tumblr suggested Valentine's Day baking and I definitely don't think they would ever do that but honestly? I can't stop thinking about it.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

I’d prefer Valentines baking to Easter. For whatever reason Easter is my least favorite baking. I guess it’s just not my fave holiday. Not really a spring person :leafpile:

Part of me wonders if they’ll even continue with baking videos at all. I mean I love them (huge understatement) and am already getting my hopes up for Christmas Baking 2019, even though we have no idea what their kitchen situation might be. I guess we can just cling to the hope that Phil wanted to do that on some level in this last year. But I would be fine with a looser definition of the holiday collabs. Pumpkin carving was great, ginger bread houses would be delightful. Why does one do for Easter? Arrange the perfect basket?

I can understand if they don’t want to touch anything considered “crafts”, but there is so much non-satanic potential there. Making bath bombs. More of those little science kits for kids. Hatching various water eggs. I feel like we never got to see the result from the one Phil tweeted a year or two ago. Hmm... something egg themed, I can see it. Phil just makes his special scrambled eggs for Dan and his grandmothers special toast. Three hour breakfast ditl please. Oops :devious:

Breakfast muckbang with all the jams (Phil’s version of dips)? It doesn’t even have to have Dan in it (*gasp*) Can you imagine Phil with a huge tower of toast? One slice per spread but we only see him taking a single bite out of each one. End of the video you see a plate with all the bitten discards. It’s okay, they get put out for the pigeons. Better research ingredients and known pigeon allergens. I’ll see myself out.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Gah, toast talk has reminded me of the bread-obsessed toaster in one of the Red Dwarf books, he’d only help them if the Cat ate a ton of toast.

I really hope they don’t stop baking and if they did stop any more things we love, they’d better not f-ing haru them, make 2019 the year they tell us things like that up front.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I checked the Timestamps @itasca00 took of the last ls and:
[27:42] Dan reads a chat comment asking about yearly mukbangs. Dan says there are plenty of recurring series that will still happen that aren’t as special as PINOF. Phil promises that there’s going to be another mukbang. Dan brings up baking and says that they could keep baking for 80 years without ruining it, unlike PINOF.
So i think it's fair to assume that baking will continue. I sure hope so anyway; I am fine with PINOF ending but baking? That's where I cross the line. :tsk:
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

Nice. Thanks for the reassurance @glitterintheair!
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

As much as I would LOVE Valentines baking, I doubt they’d touch that. BUT what about the holiday in February they do celebrate- Pancake Day!! Imagine a 2019 version of the pancake video <3

Honestly, baking is top tier content and I will take literally any kind of cooking or food related video they give us.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Ooh, yes, pancakes! Phil does love his breakfast foods and I’d love to see if Dan’s pancake-flipping skills have improved in line with his lack of pants-flashing since that video (srsly, how much bum did he think we needed to see?)
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

!!!!!!!!
:gayaf:
Ablissa
pastel persona

@lesterchuu and I had the thought of streaming II for the watch party in case someone doesn't have it. Is there any interest in that? We still haven't tried if it's possible, but we could try if any of you need a way to watch it :)

The thing is I only have the physical dvd, so I'm not sure if it's possible for me to stream it on rabbit? Maybe someone with digital edition would be willing to help out there?

edit: can't stream as per post below
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Great, I actually waited with watching the DVD but I don't have time on Saturday...

And sorry to be the party pooper, but streaming the show is illegal :| You'd be distributing/downloading copyrighted material.
Ablissa
pastel persona

LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:01 pm Great, I actually waited with watching the DVD but I don't have time on Saturday...

And sorry to be the party pooper, but streaming the show is illegal :| You'd be distributing/downloading copyrighted material.
Aah thanks for the heads up, I did wonder about that. But so many people streamed it and claimed it to be legal? I don't know anymore. But yeah, guess that's out then, we won't attempt streaming it. Sorry everyone <3

I'm excited for Saturday! Would be fun if they announced this in a liveshow though. I'm seeing comments that liveshows are dead and I want deppy to prove us all wrong. Personally I don't think they will drop them, but I guess it won't be a weekly thing... Sigh.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:07 pm I'm excited for Saturday! Would be fun if they announced this in a liveshow though. I'm seeing comments that liveshow are dead and I want deppy to prove me wrong.
I’ve seen the tweets too and while I’d love a liveshow Phil did say that he’d announce the watch party on his twitter. I can see them doing live shows when they release new merch or if there’s big news to share but idk if joint/individual live shows will continue otherwise. Now saying that I will also say that at this time last year I really had no faith in deppy and no idea of what 2018 was going to be so I’m fully ready to be pleasantly surprised by them again
Ablissa
pastel persona

I like the haircut <3
Edit: on second thought, maybe a bit too short on the sides??
Amiaw wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 pm I can see them doing live shows when they release new merch or if there’s big news to share but idk if joint/individual live shows will continue otherwise. Now saying that I will also say that at this time last year I really had no faith in deppy and no idea of what 2018 was going to be so I’m fully ready to be pleasantly surprised by them again
I guess you are right, but I kind of hate it. I want weekly liveshows, I don't mind if they're joint.

Just out of curiosity - why does everyone think they're dropping the liveshows in 2019? I'm not disputing it and I believe you are right, but I just wonder why, because I (maybe naively) thought they would want to stick to this easy source of income. Then again, they dropped DAPG...
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

fieldoflovers wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 pm Seriously though, I know he's probably putting pressure on himself for his next video and I hope he knows he can ease into uploading again with something lighthearted like a storytime or even an ISG. If it takes him a while to get back in the swing of things there's nothing wrong with that!
im with you on this. as much as i am patient to wait for dans creativity to come back from war, i miss it. sure, i do love their joint stuff but i like solo dan stuff in a sense that if i were to say which of the two i relate to more, id say its dan. phil content is enjoyable and i love his charm, but dan content (the newer ones at least) resonates in me more.

anyways,

i think its easier for him to ease himself into the pressure by starting with something simple...knowing him, hed want to address the big things for the sake of getting it over with but sometimes its easier to start with an appetizer rather than the main course.
"you are next to me in my life"
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 pm Just out of curiosity - why does everyone think they're dropping the liveshows in 2019? I'm not disputing it and I believe you are right, but I just wonder why, because I (maybe naively) thought they would want to stick to this easy source of income. Then again, they dropped DAPG...

I’ve talked before here (and other places) about how I think liveshows are dying (if not already dead) for various reasons.

First and foremost, they’ve been making liveshows shorter and shorter in more recent years. They went from about an hour to about 50 mins to 40/45 mins now we’re down to about a solid 30 mins. 35 mins if we’re lucky. 

At the end of 2017 they announced that liveshows would be as and when. The reasons they gave for switching to doing liveshows as and when were solid and fair imo ie. Dan/them not always having good days/weeks, not always having things to (or that they can) talk about, being busy some weeks/not having time/scheduling issues etc. I feel like most of these reasons still ring true.

These two things (shorter and less frequent liveshows) were happening right up until their Rize sponsorship started.

The state of liveshows in 2018 before the tour:

January:
Dan: 1 show - 16th Jan
0 Phil shows

February:
Phil: 1 show  - 1st Feb
Dan: 1 show - 20th Feb

March:
Dan: 1 show - 6th March
Phil: 1 show - 22nd March (over month and a half since his last one)

April:
1 Dan show: 4th April
Joint: 24th April - last show/night before they leave for tour
(Phil did 1 solo show which I’m going to exclude bc it was pigeon fest and not a proper live show)

Then the tour started and Rize/Younow were sponsoring their tour and liveshows became a stipulation of Younow/Rize funding the tour.

I think after the tour they made a decision to see the joint liveshows out to the end of the year in line with ‘Giving People What They Want’ etc. It could also be that the Rize/Younow contract went beyond the end of the tour. I think it’s possible they had a specific number of liveshows to do (and they did go an entire month into the tour w/o doing liveshows). Or it could also be that their contract stated they do liveshows until x month/the end of the year or w/e. All conjecture but it’s plausible imo - we don’t know the terms of the agreement.

In terms of solo liveshows post tour - they each did 1 solo liveshow in October. It seems to me like this was Dan’s idea.

In Dan’s solo liveshow of October he made an off handed ‘is this a throw back to 2016?’ comment and during the show he also said, “So I thought, ‘Hey, this week why don’t we just do regular Dan and Phil separately live shows like the good old days.’”

So, I think it’s pretty much safe to say (frequent) solo liveshows are a thing of the past (much to my dismay).

IMO, joint liveshows were/are a way to get Phil to do a liveshow. 

I’ll straight up say I don’t think Phil ~likes~ doing liveshows anymore. He does them as part of his job. Dan on the other hand still needs/wants to do them and gets enjoyment (catharsis?) out of them. It’s not just out of obligation for him. But when Dan does a liveshow there’s an expectation that Phil does one too.

In addition to all the reasons they’ve mentioned for as and when liveshows, I also think there’s a dimension of privacy in it. I think they just don’t /want/ to be telling us about the things they’ve been up to every week particularly on weeks in which they’re just doing personal/admin stuff. They can use ig stories to show us these things now. Yeah, it's not the same but the general purpose is served - updating their audience on the things they've been doing.

Also, in the bigger picture, it has been over 6 years of liveshows. Where they were when they started liveshows (pre London move, pre 1 million subscribers etc) is so far from where they are now. Also, there’s no immediate movie/book/major project to spon (atm). They don’t /need/ to be doing them weekly/frequently anymore (or at all tbh - specifically in terms of /Needing/ to). They can find other ways to do this in the future or just do a one off liveshow for whenever they need to.

Also, I think they’ve become more ~private with regard to liveshows since then. They used to do them come rain wind or shine. They did liveshows at Ian’s house, they did liveshows at Bryony’s house, they did them quickly before/after they had events and they just don’t do that anymore. From this, in addition to liveshows getting shorter and fewer and farther between etc, we can, in my opinion, see that their priorities with regard to liveshows just aren’t what they used to be.

And yeah, I think you could argue that it’s exactly because they’re part of their job that they wouldn’t end them but I think they’re in a position where they can end them if they wanted to. In terms of the money aspect, yeah it’s easy money but it was never /that/ much money for them (espec in comparison to their other money making ventures) and therefore ending them wouldn’t be a massive loss to them financially.

And correct me and forgive me if I’m wrong but from what I’ve seen/noticed they don’t even open all that many premium messages anymore - and that’s where the money making aspect of it comes in, right? They either bring things up of their own accord or they take comments/suggestions for topics etc they see in the live chat.

In the conspiracy theory realm of it all: I think them moving (if they are (and I do think they will be)) plays a part in it too. If I recall correctly, other than the odd tightly controlled/angled picture every now and then the reason we first saw their living flat was bc of liveshows, right? I’m still of the opinion they’ll want to keep their permanent home far more private than their current/past ones so I think this could also add to the demise of liveshows. (And if not, I think all my other reasons are ~enough.)

I don’t think liveshows are completely dead quite yet (though it absolutely wouldn’t surprise me if they were). I’m still hoping for a handful of liveshows as and when/few and far between at least for part of the year. I definitely think they’ll be gone by the end of the year if not sooner.

At this point of the year in all years previous they’d have done a liveshow(s) by now:

In 2016 Dan’s first liveshow was on the 5th, Phil’s on the 10th.
In 2017 Dan’s first liveshow was on the 10th, Phil’s on the 12th.
In 2018 Dan’s was on the 16th and Phil didn’t do a liveshow in January. His first liveshow of the year was 1st of Feb.

At the moment, I do think they have a few reasons to be ~avoiding liveshows. No doubt the chat will just be filled with questions about dapg, the future, their plans etc. and I don’t think they can/want to answer these right now which yh fair enough.

With an AP video imminent, the watch party this weekend, and, (I assume) a Dan video incoming before the end of the month + Phil’s birthday week, I’m not holding out too much hope for one this month. Though I still hope for at least a beginning of the year/looking forward/update liveshow at some point. But I think the longer it goes w/o them doing a liveshow the less likely it is they'll actually do one.

Also, I think it's probably worth noting they made no comment on the future of liveshows in their final liveshow of last year. This could be read into imo.

tldr; My belief is that they’ll go back to their pre tour infrequent as and when ~schedule for liveshows and then let them taper out until they stop completely... If they’re not already dead which is also very plausible to me.

Nevertheless, it’s all speculation on my behalf. And liveshows are personally my favourite content so I’d absolutely more than love to be wrong.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

That was an excellent long form analysis @idk

I'm just being trash over here because Dan liked a Brexit political tweet while Phil is over there liking engagement photos...
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:23 am That was an excellent long form analysis @idk

I'm just being trash over here because Dan liked a Brexit political tweet while Phil is over there liking engagement photos...
cheers to this :ribena:
"you are next to me in my life"