Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Becky.rigby
living flop

plinthofmylife wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:38 am
Becky.rigby wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:28 am I absolutely adore Dan and Phil, but they are better than this. The fact that we have had no videos or live shows since before Christmas and it's now mid January and Dan hasn't even realy been active on his accounts. If it was a real job they would not have gotten away with not doing their job for so long.
I'll come out as defense squad here: please let them have a freaking vacation. It's totally normal to take a holiday from work without getting fired, especially in the UK. The average UK worker gets 28 days’ paid annual leave per year- or 5.6 weeks of holiday for a 5-day work week. Not to mention bank holidays, 3 of which fell in the last month.

I also believe they're back to working, they're just not public about it; there's a ton that goes into running a youtube empire beyond just what you see. You can miss them, but it's ridiculous to suggest that taking a month off of posting - part of which were bank holidays - is equivalent to a fireable offense. They've been doing this as their job for 9 years, I think a holiday is not out of the order, especially given that part of their job is to live their lives online publicly. I'm possibly more sensitive because I also work in media, and am also not allowed breaks according to my fans *headdesk*.

Also I miss them too.

I'm sorry, I came across wrong, I just miss them and I'm tired :( of course they are entitled to time off and there is more to their job than just filming. It's just difficult to understand this when you aren't in the media industry, not that we are entitled or need to know as we don't.
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

plinthofmylife wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 am
knq wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:11 am I’m actually really curious about this. I can never quite conceptualuse what their non-tour work entails outside the obvious filming and editing despite knowing that they’re both workaholics that spend a lot more time than the obvious working on stuff we may or may not end up seeing.
I don't know about them specifically, but as someone who works in radio and runs a merch operations and has a lot of friends who are youtubers here are the things I suppose it involves based on *my* experience:
  • Meetings with lawyers and accountants about contracts and taxes (so many of these)
  • Meetings with people at the corporations who are their partners for various things (BBC, Google, Younow)
  • Travel planning for conventions and (previously) tour, which though I travel more than they do, took up 20% of my
    working hours until I hired someone
  • Writing scripts (takes me 4 hours to do for a 1 hour live radio show)
  • Making thumbnails and other graphic design-y stuff (bizarre amount of time)
  • PR stuff - agreeing to and/or turning down media requests and booking said things
  • Fucking emails. I don't even know what these are, some combination of all of the above but I spend 4-8 hours a week on these
  • Dealing with metadata and tagging and other things that break everytime youtube changes something
  • Coordinating with IRL about shipping and fulfillment planning - I sell 1/1000th of the merch they do, and I spend about 5 hours a week dealing with my fulfillment warehouse and they did multiple physical pop-up shops
  • Editorial planning work (next video planning; release dates; getting games needed to play)
  • Dealing with brand deals - I have an ad agency that works for me and handles most of the backend, but I still have to approve and negotiate stuff
  • Planning collabs
  • Photoshoots and planning stuff like that
  • Dan also says it takes about 20 hours to make a DINOF video - general rule of thumb is 1 hour of editing to 1 minute of final content
This is fascinating. Thanks for sharing!
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

@plinthofmylife that was really interesting to read. Thank you for your input! I’ve always been super fascinated with the logistics of their mini empire; especially with their co ownership of IRL. I wonder if they’ve branched out with other business ventures we don’t know about or dabble in investments to keep them secure for the future (gotta fund those glass windows and koi pond)
autumnhearth
senpai

Oi just woke up from a dream where Dan was on an American morning talk show, with both of his parents... I knew in my dream that Phil had just been on one the other day, with his mum. I missed the beginning of it (watching Dan’s in the dream) but he was giving away II DVD’s and his eclipse shirts to the audience. I don’t even know what kind of questions he was answering only that the camera mostly focused on him, or him and his mum, but rarely his dad. But apparently earlier in the show his dad said he had recently become a pig farmer. Then there was a video of them on a pig farm at the holidays (Phil was there do) and the dream just devolved into catching chickens. But it was clear his dad was very fond of the pigs. So that was a thing.

Is today the watch party or is tomorrow? I won’t be able to participate either way, we’re at my in-laws for the weekend. I was just wondering in terms of the Phil vid. I had the late night thought of him filming it standing in front of a blank white wall, reading some of the suggestions on Twitter, and bringing some of those things in, but obviously not ending up in a finished look, and Phil ending the video calling it a work in progress.
susan2
rainbow nerd

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:32 am Is today the watch party or is tomorrow?
:balloon: :balloon: :balloon: today :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: .... 6 hours to go :cheer: :babuse: :elephant: :6-year-old dan:
knq
lava lamp

I dreamed Phil’s new background was just a white wall. His new video had an eerie Dan and Phil Crafts vibe. Instead of a draw Phil naked of the day at the end there was a picture of a dog that Phil had printed out. He acted like he’d been doing this for years.

I like how the lack of new content has just inspired our sleeping brains to generate their own content. I blame the creepy vibe on the SimplyNailogical like on Phil’s twitter of a fingernail... giving birth. It’s too weird to repost. I absolutely refuse..

Happy Dan-and-Phil-are-going-to-be-active-on-Twitter day!
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Since we're sharing dreams, I'll let you know some nights ago i had THREE dreams about them: one was about Dan doing Interactive Introverts without Phil, another was about the fans and Dan going to the Lesters' house and Kath asked what people wanted to see on tv, (she was VERY against the idea of watching Harry Potter) and the third was about dnp taking ig stories in a lavender field and at some point it looked like they were gonna hold hands but they didn't.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
knq
lava lamp

Dan reminding us about the watch part on IG stories. The photo ended up being huge for some reason so it's under the cut. (There's no way to shrink an image with like "width=200" in the IMG tag is there, mods?)
The thing in the upper left corner confuses me. Has it always been in that photo and I've just never noticed? Is it a part of the lighting set up Dan didn't notice wasn't cropped out? It looks ominous and like it's going to fall on one of their heads at any moment.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

"End of an era"? :?

RE: Dreams; I also had a AP video dream this night and let's just say the video wasn't exactly PG rated and I thought "Wow, so I guess they're out now?" and I needed to come here to hear what people said. And I was oddly convinced that this happened when I woke up.

Boys, we are literally going insane; we need content.
roasteddnp
not a first-time poster

Hi everyone. I'm usually a lurker but I found something and thought that I should post it. This is going to derail the conversation but I think I have found dnp's forever home:
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 90030.html
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Some of my faves so far:
liola
rankussy

Dan has some chaotic energy today uh
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I mean, to be honest, his replies are pretty extra as well. This is the most Dan we've gotten in a month, I'm soaking it in.
autumnhearth
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 pm "End of an era"? :?

RE: Dreams; I also had a AP video dream this night and let's just say the video wasn't exactly PG rated and I thought "Wow, so I guess they're out now?" and I needed to come here to hear what people said. And I was oddly convinced that this happened when I woke up.

Boys, we are literally going insane; we need content.
Yeah earlier this week I had a very x rated dream of a leaked tape with them that I can’t even share the details of here, though of course in the dream I logged on here first thing, same with last night.

Yeah.... Dan does seem intense, that’s a good word for it, I was thinking negative, but whatever. Aww San Junipero :love2:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lmao - love this one.
(Also we're having a bit of a forum glitch, if you're seeing posts out of order it should correct itself in about 15 minutes!)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

While we’re on dreams, I just remembered I had two last week. One was Bryony round my house trying on one of my dresses and, yep, it fit her, looked great. That was it :shrug: then I had one of the boys on the radio and the recording carried on after they’d finished, not so much that they didn’t know they were being filmed, but they knew it wasn’t going to be used, and Phil kissed Dan on the cheek cos he’d got hurt in some small way. It felt so real, in the dream I was thinking “well, I guess that answers that” :roll:

Roll on watch party. Dan’s ig story’s bittersweet, eh.
fleur-de-lis
butt chair

There are so many empty seats, they should have moved people up?
It didn't look like that at the show I went to, that's not very good for the shooting of a DVD.
(I'm actually only watching it now for the first time because it was 2.99€ on Amazon so why not)
Ablissa
pastel persona

My fav tweet so far:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Uuuh :happytears:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

some of my fave Dan replies right now
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Dan's main tweets (non-replies) seem very... intense today?

"and we can finally move on with our lives"
"most notoriously extra community"
"when people won’t stop stealing your ideas so you have to steal your own ideas"
"fisting"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:14 pm some of my fave Dan replies right now
:happytears: :happytears: :happytears:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I love that Phil is averaging a tweet every ~3 minutes and Dan is averaging one every 25 seconds.
knq
lava lamp

I just want to flag that we should really have a conversation about Dan’s knee fetish at some point.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Dan is f//king wild today. I love it.