Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Philena
blobfish

The skylight is right above Dan's gaming computer, right? So I think we're seeing the piano and bits above the staircase.

I cannot believe that I am going to defend Dan, because that is really not who I am, but I do think he is just on a month(ish) break or so. Not a big deal, as they did have a stressful and busy year. He also might be working on a non-yt related project.

I just feel like we go through these phases at least every year since I've been observing the phandom (2014!!). They take breaks, people get restless, catastrophizing occurs. I mean, Dan just did tweet over 135 times a week ago!

I am sad about dapg, but I am more frustrated by myself for how much I relied upon their constant joint instastories for happiness and a nice dopamine shot throughout the day. I miss my fix!
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

Honestly, I am a bit craving for content too. After all, they announced the DAPG hiatus a month after I joined, so I haven't seen a lot of content. :lol:
glitterintheair
phillluminati
Pronouns: she/her

I think we are being frustrated and upset also because in the last year we got used to regular content from them. Every day we got something - ig stories or tweets or videos or liveshows. We're not used to too much silence anymore and now it shows.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

This is all very interesting. Hi to new people, btw :welcome:

I’ve been thinking about “make whatever you want like Jenna does” and expecting that if they do move again, we might find that we see all but none of it. With the tight space Phil’s just made, there isn't much room for manoeuvre, should he want to manoeuvre in any way ;) A studio space, away from home if they could be bothered, might be a really good idea, they could set it up for different things and show nothing of their home. Draw with Jazza (now there’s a consistent, enthusiastic uploader trying every kind of art) has a building in his back garden with his desk space in half and the other with backdrop screens in black, white and green and ceiling tracks for cameras etc, as multipurpose as he could make it (mostly for messier/bigger art and VR). He’s always been at a desk, though, so there isn’t a huge change to something less personal. Would ideally still need a decent kitchen, if baking never happened again, I would be sad.

As for Dan, maybe he’s feeling way more relaxed and just enjoying that while he mosies along with his first monthly video. He’s certainly doing some healthy things, running in his headband and all, and that’s pretty much all we know for now. His videos were my first love of all their stuff in 2013 before I really knew them, so I’m curious to see what he’ll come back with. I hope he does, anyway.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

glitterintheair wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:37 pm I think we are being frustrated and upset also because in the last year we got used to regular content from them. Every day we got something - ig stories or tweets or videos or liveshows. We're not used to too much silence anymore and now it shows.
actually, this makes a lot more sense.

also, just to add re:dan - i do want communication from them as well. but like i said from my last post, if its communication brought about by us cornering dan, it doesnt lead to good things. (and it doesnt HAVE to be us actually pressuring him, all it takes is for him to feel like hes pressured) id rather him talk to us when hes ready.

but also, ive seen people bring up a good point that a long silence doesnt do anything good either cz itll be just like hes avoiding things.( or maybe phils the distraction and dans doing all the moving into the new house stuff cough cough )
"you are next to me in my life"
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Matcha_Ramune wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:28 pm
lesterchuu wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:19 pm
lilabet wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 pm Okay it's not just me that sees a ton of boxes in Phils latest Instagram story right? Which flat is it?
i just saw the insta, but yeah i do see some boxes on the reflection but i cant figure out which window this is from......but what could the boxes be for? :tinfoil:
Wait… Could they be moving? No, that would be a bit strange. But still, it's weird. :shock:
I can’t see the boxes. Isn’t the reflection their wooden stairs? The ones with the metal sides? Am I being dumb
manged
lady door

Secretstanner wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:09 pm
lilabet wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 pm Okay it's not just me that sees a ton of boxes in Phils latest Instagram story right? Which flat is it?
i just saw the insta, but yeah i do see some boxes on the reflection but i cant figure out which window this is from......but what could the boxes be for? :tinfoil:
Wait… Could they be moving? No, that would be a bit strange. But still, it's weird. :shock:
I can’t see the boxes. Isn’t the reflection their wooden stairs? The ones with the metal sides? Am I being dumb
It's the staircase.
FlegmaticSimon
drama llama

manged wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:11 pm
Secretstanner wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:09 pm
It's the staircase.
Ah, that makes more sense. It would have been weird for them to move again. After all, it wasn't very logical. :)
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

These are just my thoughts/feelings and I don’t want to dismiss or invalidate other peoples thoughts/feelings.

I just wanted to hard agree and add my +1 of support to these things:
opendoor wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:23 pm I'm not even upset, I just kinda want to see where it's all going. That being said we had a new vid literally yesterday so I feel pretty mellow about the whole thing at this moment.

I guess the reasons I'm not upset are:

a) i found the vid yesterday fun, and i'm excited about future content

b) it's Dan and Phil, if I truly needed regular uploads and clear communication I would have picked different youtubers to stan.

c) I love their content but I don't need Loads of it. I definitely don't need daily content or continuous contact, the idea of creators constantly churning out content to the point of burn-out is v unappetising to me.
manged wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:26 pm I wouldn't care that much if they never uploaded a single video again... but the ig stories and posts that documented bits of their lives were so nice while they lasted.
lesterchuu wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:16 pm as for dan, contrary to everyones current feelings towards him, im rather forgiving with his hiatus. hes not entitled to tell us what hes doing everyday, rather i feel like he needed that long break from us. hes had a long history of lashing out at us when he is pushed into a corner, and man, id rather him step away from all that [...] im sure hes growing as a person right now, and part of that growth needed is the quiet to think about his actions.
I’ve gotten used to Dan not uploading but I miss the day to day life things we got. I think the absence of liveshows and ig stories (and tweets from Dan) definitely intensified the drought feeling. But I definitely agree that nothing good comes out of Dan doing things to appease people rather than because he wants to/he’s ready to do them. And, yeah, Dan's very particular about things and things like his 'quality threshold' do hold him back quite a lot but the fact that he's been radio silent across the board tells me he's not ~ready for the internet yet. I'm willing to wait. (Yes, even though it is his job.)

Dan himself has said that he considers things like tweets and ig stories as content and I'm inclined to agree with him on that.

I think we’re pretty much at the end of the hiatus/break now. Phil uploaded a video yesterday, he tweeted today, he’s done a membership post today, and he posted an ig story today. Things are slowly coming back.

I expect things to really pick up after Phil’s birthday celebrations are over which is less than a week away.

Dan and Phil are notoriously bad at communication. I do wish it were different but I’m unsurprised it’s not.

I'm actually of the opinion that something like the dapg ~hiatus~ is one of their finer moments of communication.

In my opinion, they’ve been clear that the dapg ~hiatus~ isn’t just a short break.

The dapg end/hiatus was prefaced with them saying:

Dan: […] instead of us just uploading Dilmas and then-
Phil: Disappearing
D: Nothing. And then on January 30th you're like, did y’all forget the password?

And Dan also said: “It could be three weeks. It could be six months. It could be fifty two years.”

It’s been clear, in my opinion, that dapg wasn’t going to be back at all this month (and probably won't be for a while if you’re inclined to think it is coming back.) So I have no hard feelings there at all.

I wasn’t overly concerned or surprised about having no liveshow in January this year because Phil went all of January 2018 without doing one. This liveshow absence has been done before. I’m hoping Feb brings us at least one.

I definitely think February is the month we’ll start getting answers to questions. Hopefully.
knq
lava lamp

I've been wondering if Dan's been taking a break from the computer as a sort of New Years resolution, like a social media break but not as drastic. Something I notice is that when Dan and Phil are home and not traveling, Phil usually tweets from his iPhone and Dan usually tweets from PC/Web. That changed after the new year. Excluding that one day they did the viewing party, where they were both posting from a PC, Dan's only tweeted from a PC once, and it was when he changed his twitter header.

Compare Phil's twitter activity with Dan's:

Dan's tweeting from iPhone hasn't changed all that much, imo, it's his tweets from PC/Web that dropped off hugely (again, only if you exclude the viewing party, which I do).

Also here's a bonus graph of the time of day Dan and Phil have tended to tweet at over the last two years or so.

Both peak at 8pm UK time, but Phil is more likely to start tweeting in the afternoon than Dan. Fun fact: in the last two years, Dan has never tweeted between 7:00am and 7:59am. Not once.

Why yes, I am supposed to be working on something else right now, how can you tell?
flarequake
not an airport stalker

7am - 7.59am is sacred time. Also Dan might still not go to bed very early. Good graphs, very interesting :ribena:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Everyone has made really good points and I also agree that we aren’t owed content but dnp’s communication or lack thereof has always been something I’ve found hard to deal with.
I’ve had conversations with people before about the reason i get so antsy and it’s because dan and Phil expect their fans to read between the lines (pinof ending, their last move) and leave so many things unsaid that it’s hard to fully trust what they say. I wish I didn’t have to look for double meanings in what they tell us but they’ve created this whole relationship with the phandom where they will purposefully evade topics or just give the vaguest of answers and I’d hoped that once they realized that their audience was older that they could drop the need to be mysterious and talk to us like adults.

I have more goodwill towards Phil right now because he genuinely is putting effort into takking at the audience but he’s still not completely off my naughty list. This whole new background secrecy and tightly cropped Instagram stories was funny at first but I’m over it.

Dan can take his time with dinof but o would like to hear a peep from him just to know he’s out there at least being happy. Also Phil’s birthday is four days away and I’d never doubted a birthday tweet but this is the first year that I’m not convinced he’ll deliver
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil's video is listed on his channel page and in the subscription box for me again! Hopefully it won't have affected his views too much.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
autumnhearth
senpai

No boxes, you’re seeing the reflection of their stairs. The skylight is above them in the lounge of their living flat. Whoops sorry I was reading a page behind. But yeah Dan’s computer is near there but the white I think is their heating/air con unit behind the love seat he’s probably sat on (where he fell asleep at last year’s Oscars and had the photo with Frank the dog and where he plays video games from... I pay too much attention)

Valid concerns with content and communication. I’m feeling oddly zen over here after freaking out a bit from the announcement of the gaming hiatus and end of pinof. They might not be handling things the best from a business perspective but hopefully they’ll get back in the groove soon.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

autumnhearth wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:14 pm No boxes, you’re seeing the reflection of their stairs. The skylight is above them in the lounge of their living flat. Whoops sorry I was reading a page behind.

Valid concerns with content and communication. I’m feeling oddly zen over here after freaking out a bit from the announcement of the gaming hiatus and end of pinof.
I totally see the stairs now. For the life of me I couldn't work out the black bit was anyway :lol:
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Okay, so I found myself agreeing with a lot of posts on the last page about being upset with Dan and I thought about why that is and I think it's pretty simple, at least for me. He's been talking about this wonderful quality content he was going to make since 2017, he's been hyping it up again and again only to not follow through with it and that's disappointing on its own but it's more than that for me.

He rebranded in 2017 and basically dropped his dorky, relentlessly funny British guy act. He opened up about mental health and sexuality and showed some real depth and I was so damn excited for that Dan. Because funnily enough, to me, stuff like Living My Truth or Dan and Depression are the most #relatable content he ever made, it felt genuine and it was slightly uncomfortable but that was what made it so good and worthwhile. Like, he was unhappy with being seen as just another Youtube clown, that's for sure, and I was here for a more serious Dan - but then that potential was never really used.

There was a handful of videos and then the long hiatus on DH and Dan promising us "quality content" over and over again without actually making it and I think that's why I'm so frustrated at this point. I had my hopes on 2019 but January is nearly over and still just silence. Everyone said they wanted him to communicate more and I couldn't agree more with that. Like, I'd love him to just be honest with us. What are his plans for 2019? What does he want to do with his Youtube channel? Why is it not working? I'd actually love a ranty, opinionated video on this.

Thing is, I think he might not really be sure what do to with his channel and his career at this point and that's fine with me too. I don't need him to make videos and he doesn't owe us any either. But I'm upset because the rebrand was so promising and in the end led to almost nothing (at least not on DH). And I wish he'd just be transparent about why there is no content. My guess is he's holding himself back a good deal. Like, everytime he opens up a bit he seems to regret it afterwards and I'd get it if he's not ready for that but just... talk to us. Tell us. It's fine.

So yeah, that's what it's about for me. And now I'm off to finally watch II (Amazon Prime, yay) because I actually haven't seen it yet and I'm curious af.
vacule
squish

I think it really comes back to Dan mostly "outgrowing" his audience and YouTube. Not so much in the sense that he has matured beyond those things, but more that his own relationship with himself and his own interests seem to have developed in a different direction, to a point where there is quite an obvious dissonance between what he puts out as his YouTube persona and who he tries to be everywhere else.

I think we are possibly at a point where Dan either doesn't understand or cannot fulfill what his audience "really want", and tbh I don't think that's entirely a bad thing. I actually low-key think Dan should take an extended break (a year, maybe more) to reroute his direction on YouTube, and perhaps be reintroduced to a new target demographic.
Grey
lady door

I’m posting just to say @knq omg those graphs are so interesting! Thank you for making them. I love things like that but I’m usually too lazy to do it myself :lol:

Additional comment about my feelings about the absence:
I do miss dan but honestly it’s mostly my own fault because I was totally convinced he was going to post in January. I don’t know why I thought that; it’s not like he said he was going to. I worry about him avoiding it and hyping it up in his mind because that’s what I do, but I have to remember I don’t actually have a clue what’s going on in the D&P household.
I'm having a stress.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Interrupting your interesting chat with some quality spon, because that is what I'm good for.

Our IDB-only watch fest is tomorrow (or today if you're in my time zone), Sunday, January 27th!
It will last the whole day, meaning that you can pop in whenever.
This is where the magic happens: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1637

Videos we're watching
1: Trying To Live My Truth
2: HAVING A BLAST - Dan and Phil play: Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
3: Dan and Phil AND DOGS!

Changes in this watch fest
- More focus on timestamps! If you enjoy it, make timestamps and then post them in the appropriate forum: viewforum.php?f=34
- Discussion: I will post the first set of questions. If/when you reply to them, try to add a question of your own!
- If you're the next in line to reply, make sure you check what questions other people have posted! :)
coconut
tol bean

Hi! I'm new (ish...) finally caved and made an account just to respond!
Katka wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:53 pm I was so damn excited for that Dan. Because funnily enough, to me, stuff like Living My Truth or Dan and Depression are the most #relatable content he ever made, it felt genuine and it was slightly uncomfortable but that was what made it so good and worthwhile. Like, he was unhappy with being seen as just another Youtube clown, that's for sure, and I was here for a more serious Dan - but then that potential was never really used.
This really hit the nail on the head for me, actually. I like these serious videos because they kind of hit close to home, and it doesn't feel like watching some big YouTube celebrity but rather a normal guy candidly speak about things that are important to him/relevant in his life. Without going too in-depth: I have some of the same issues as Dan, and after watching him for years and then seeing him talk about them, gives me the feeling that someone understands. Also, I love seeing his personality come through in his delivery of the topic (of course, that's why any of us subscribed lmaoo)

I do agree that the potential for serious Dan hasn't been realized, but the only way we can go is up! Sometimes I feel like Dan should revisit Trying to Live My Truth, because it's ironically all about living unapologetically. I REALLY feel his "make everything perfect but hate it afterward because I'm constantly growing" syndrome, I have it too, but at a point you just have to rip off the bandaid. I don't feel hopeless about his channel. He's gonna figure out how to rip the bandaid off. lol
I say "new ish" because I've been here for ~6 years, but lurked here for ~9 months, give or take the length of the dinof drought... maybe now that I've posted Dan will too :shrug: lmao
<3
starwatersong
phabergé

Last edited by Catallena on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed instagram embed code
flarequake
not an airport stalker

It makes sense that maybe Dan isn’t sure what he wants to make or what people want to see, though he said he has ideas, he’s had ideas for years that haven’t felt right yet or he just hasn’t got round to using. I don’t know how he can work out what people want to see if he’s not engaging with us, but he can work out what he wants better by himself, perhaps. Or putting something out there and seeing how it goes might help, whether it’s something of the same kind or something different. I don’t know how he’d feel about that either, can only guess it’s unlikely since he’s said he has that quality control triangle to satisfy every time. It’s a while since he said that, it’s just possible that’s changed, but who knows what he’s been working on, personal growth wise, if anything. Tell us, Danny? Simplest thing might be to talk about his thoughts and feelings, and see where it takes him, but would he be that relaxed about his content.
bevioletsky
glabella

flarequake wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:25 amSimplest thing might be to talk about his thoughts and feelings, and see where it takes him, but would he be that relaxed about his content.
Reading your post and especially this conclusion; I almost feel like he tried to do this a bit in Trying to Live My Truth? Which is his latest solo video. I know a lot of people criticised it for being a little conclusionless and vague, which I suppose is true and a fair enough criticism, but I felt like that was part of the point of the video – that he didn’t quite know what he wanted. Also importantly I’m pretty sure he described it as a ’just a little life update for you’ at the end of the video. So, like, I think he in a way attempted this talking about his thoughts and feelings and seeing where it takes him thing, and I wonder how he feels about it now. We know he wasn’t in a great place mentally then, which probably affected how he reacted in that one liveshow (though I think the so-called backtracking was pretty half-arsed and despite feeling a bit bummed about it initially I’m okay with it now). But aside from all that, does he feel like it was a successful video? I personally really liked it, probably partially because I found it ~relatable, and would love to see him continue down that road. Idk if you meant him doing something even less formal, which I would be down with as well for sure, I love them both talking more casually. Don’t know if he would do that in a main channel video though... Typing all of this out, though, I do believe he said in another live show something about having had grand plans and not going through with them, so maybe it was supposed to be an Important Video leading up to something else. I can see that too. I feel like I’ve gone a full circle in my thoughts, so in conclusion: none of us have any idea, do we. A useful end point, that.

In any case, I felt like thinking out loud for a bit and also wanted to say that I’ve loved reading the discussion over the past couple of days, and I’ll try to post this now so that I’ll maybe dare do it again in the future. Feels less scary when there’s active discussion. But I do miss them, too (well Dan mostly, at this point), and would love to see a liveshow. Phil enabling the channel membership made me feel a bit more optimistic about the future of those, thinking he could do them on yt? And just generally, I think him doing that means we’re going to get content on amazingphil regularly. It is the only channel for him to focus on at the moment as well, after all... I don’t get the upset over it, personally, as it just seems an extra way to support him for, what, some stickers? Which I really don’t care about. And whatever’s going to be posted on the community tab will inevitably be on social media. I’m apparently feeling strangely optimistic about everything, so I really hope they pull through in the coming weeks.
fizzymcguire
tol bean
Pronouns: she/they

knq wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:24 pm I've been wondering if Dan's been taking a break from the computer as a sort of New Years resolution, like a social media break but not as drastic. Something I notice is that when Dan and Phil are home and not traveling, Phil usually tweets from his iPhone and Dan usually tweets from PC/Web. That changed after the new year. Excluding that one day they did the viewing party, where they were both posting from a PC, Dan's only tweeted from a PC once, and it was when he changed his twitter header.

Compare Phil's twitter activity with Dan's:

Dan's tweeting from iPhone hasn't changed all that much, imo, it's his tweets from PC/Web that dropped off hugely (again, only if you exclude the viewing party, which I do).

Also here's a bonus graph of the time of day Dan and Phil have tended to tweet at over the last two years or so.

Both peak at 8pm UK time, but Phil is more likely to start tweeting in the afternoon than Dan. Fun fact: in the last two years, Dan has never tweeted between 7:00am and 7:59am. Not once.

Why yes, I am supposed to be working on something else right now, how can you tell?
ooo thank you this is the stuff i like to see!
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I didn’t even think of that video when I posted, though I loved it until the backtracking. I was thinking of a more casual, no jokes/sarcasm vibe straight-talking kind of thing, which I’m not sure he’s done much ever, even the depression video was a little jokey. There have been a few times, the one about winning supernote was quite straightforward and very earnest in parts, it was lovely (I think it’s unlisted, he talks about how he hadn’t felt worthy of being called a YouTuber even after 3 years or on a par with people who’d been there longer, something like that, so being chosen as a team captain was a big thing for him). I’m not sure he’d consider a lower key kind of video, if he’s hung up on being entertaining, interesting enough or whatever, but I’d he here for it if he did, whether liveshows continue or not.