Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dancy
procrastinator

Oh gosh, usually I'm the whiny one but I'm actually pretty okay right now. I mean, I miss them (and mainly Dan since he's been the least active of the two) but I'd rather he have a nice break and come back when he's feeling well than seeing him in a depressed and agitated mood (like early 2018). I just don't enjoy seeing him like that and in the past it's lead to him not entirely thinking through what he says and therefore saying things that would result in people being annoyed or making average videos. I think it's best for D&P to first decide what they're going to do this year in regards to their own channels (which Phil already seems to have done in some capacity), the gaming channel, other projects and their personal lives before attempting to give us answers that they might not live up to. Anyway I'm just so over having expectations in regards to D&P and their content and trying to predict things because a lot of the time they don't end up happening anyway and I'd be disappointed and this is honestly so much better for my mental health.
waveydnp
drama llama

@dancy i don’t think it’s fair to label anyone whiny. i’m just venting. gaming was my happy place in terms of dnp content and now it’s gone and i’m guessing isn’t coming back and we haven’t really had any word about any kind of joint content. i for one do not miss dan solo content at all and ageee with everyone saying he shouldn’t make solo videos if he isn’t ready because that type of content isn’t fun to watch. i just want to watch dan and phil interact together in videos. i miss them. i miss the happiness i used to feel watching them.
dancy
procrastinator

waveydnp wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:45 pm @dancy i don’t think it’s fair to label anyone whiny. i’m just venting. gaming was my happy place in terms of dnp content and now it’s gone and i’m guessing isn’t coming back and we haven’t really had any word about any kind of joint content. i for one do not miss dan solo content at all and ageee with everyone saying he shouldn’t make solo videos if he isn’t ready because that type of content isn’t fun to watch. i just want to watch dan and phil interact together in videos. i miss them. i miss the happiness i used to feel watching them.
Oh, I didn't quite mean it like that, I was more referring to my own tendency to be whiny because I've written a fair amount of whiny posts in the past whenever I missed them or whatever reason I had but I'm coping surprisingly well with the hiatus.
PersonalJ
first-time poster

Hi!
I'm reading here for a long time, but just created an account to vent a little about my frustration.
I feel like I have sooo many unpopular opinions, but I'm interested what you think. First of all, for me, IG stories and tweets are just not content, just not. I mean, some crafted #relatable tweet and a picture or few seconds video in IG? I consider myself a casual fan, who is not really involved in their personal lives so how am I supposed to care about that?

Second of all, Dan... boy I love you, but I just wanna punch you in the face. Many of you pointed out about his spiral of "I wanna make quality content and perfection" and at the end nothings happen, because his mind is on his own way and I totally agree. I get when someone have mental health issues and need a break, but I can't really feel sorry for him anymore... because at the end of the day, Dan is a young, white, rich male and in the 'real world' nobody can just lay around until they figures out the meaning of their lifes. Everybody have their ups and downs, but the world is not gonna slow down because of it. I'm a little older than him, and had my own issues, but a regural schedule is key and really works. And if he wants to find his purpose in life he needs to starts somewhere.

Sorry if it was negative, but I had to get it out of my chest.
Mia
spork
Pronouns: she/her

Hi, I'm Mia, I'm new to this forum but not new to DAP. Been watching since 2010/2011, skipped 2012 due to being too 'mature' for them (lol).

Not up to date on all the theories so please bare with me. I have only just dipped my toe into forums and theories around them. I would say I am a casual phan but I keep looking into forums to be nosey.

Here's my two pennies worth:

I'm glad to see Phil back and he's more confident in himself which is great. The video was definitely a filler video but I know he will deliver videos soon. I also feel like he made the video this way as he wanted us to get used to the change and have us involved to help us process it which is sweet.

Not keen on the membership but that's not against Phil. I don't like the idea of it in general. I guess lately I've been reflecting on old vs now youtube as a platform. Oh well, let's hope memberships make people genuinely happy.

In the new Phil video, it's the new(merchandise)lion and not the original lion. I've grown up with that lion in the background and I wanted to see it again. I get leaving the old brand behind and having the new one is a nod to the old brand. I'm probably being petty but I guess I just want to see old lion in the new videos for my own comfort.

I can deal with PINOF ending and DAPG hiatus as it'll return as it's popular, I think they have just exhausted the content. I've seen them start and end many projects whilst watching them that I'm used to it. Superamazingproject, apartmentred, tatinof, II, all the various video series.

Phil, for a long time, has wanted to be a creative, with his English degree, appearing on tv shows and as extras in films. His old videos were really random but so creative. I don't see him not enjoying/leaving youtube for a long time. I'm looking forward to more Phil content.

I'm a bit worried about Dan being silent on social media but in all honesty, we all need to have some time away from twitter etc for our mental health. Dan is quite likely worrying over what content to post/path to take as he wants the best. It's still early into 2019 after a hectic 2018 so I hope we will see him soon and that he's doing ok.

(Well done for reaching the end of this ramble, thank you for taking the time to read it.)
Ablissa
pastel persona

There are so many interesting points being made here, but my dog is screaming at me, so I will have to limit this post to more spon and hopefully join in on the discussion later. (Welcome @Mia, @PersonalJ, @coconut and whoever else I may have missed! :))

So, for the spon...
Did you know that today is IDB-only watch fest day? We're all watching Trying To Live My Truth, Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes and lastly, Dan and Phil AND DOGS.
This watch fest lasts throughout the day. The goal is to get some nice video discussion going on, so come join in!

viewtopic.php?p=102780
Last edited by Ablissa on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Need me a freak like that.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

Obviously I don’t agree with the last two sentences (their blog names says everything), but I do love me some numbers. Can someone remind me how this compares to the money they make per liveshow?
@dancy I’m surprising myself too, weird. :shrug:
Ablissa
pastel persona

autumnhearth wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:20 pm Obviously I don’t agree with the last two sentences (their blog names says everything), but I do love me some numbers. Can someone remind me how this compares to the money they make per liveshow?
I really don't think it will be that much per month (30k is being wildly optimistic I think, in terms of how many people will subscribe,) but regardless, I'd like to chime in and say that not all the youtube memberships are $5. In Poland it's PLN 14.99, which is about ~$3.9/month. I think the prices may vary by country, I also heard of someone having an even lower fee.

Of course, these are relatively small changes. Most of Phil's subs will be from the UK, US and a few other places that charge $5.

I'm also quoting a great post by @alittledizzy from a few pages back.
alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:37 am Dolan twins have 8.9 million subscribers - one of their member perks is access to weekly bloopers for their weekly videos. The blooper links go up as an unlisted video. Right now the view count for their last one (exactly one week ago) is 22,748. And that's accounting for the fact that the link spread on twitter, since it's just an unlisted video and anyone can share it. (Which, yes, is how I found it.) I feel like there are two ways to look at it, because on one hand that means that an incredibly small percentage of their 8.9 million subs actually became members - but on the other half even if you said half those views are from people who got the link when it spread around that means that means they're pulling 50k a month from memberships.

You can draw your own conclusions about how that compares to what Phil might make. Dolan twins are some of the hottest on youtube right now but phandom is incredibly dedicated and I could see Phil still getting between 5-10k people willing to hand him five bucks a month just out of loyalty/those shiny cactus emojis/the chance at having a question seen.
I'm still really okay with the memberships, while we're on this subject. And I don't get why some people on tumblr/twitter hate them so much. The additions are REALLY cosmetic and it's a way to support your favorite creator - it's not like Phil is dividing his fanbase, because the members really don't get much in the way of perks. (Which, by the way, if he ever decides to add proper perks - I will support that too. It's still better than patreon, and this is his job, he's allowed to find new ways to make money off of it - it doesn't diminish his appreciation of his audience.)
One thing I will agree with is that if he/they want to make the membership work, they NEED to step it up with their youtube content, and be consistent and present.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

I don't have a problem with the whole subscription thing and I'm not sure why people are so pissed about it. He's not withholding content, right? Just offering some emojis and a chance to ask questions that may or may not get used, yes? If that's the case then :shrug: I just hope it means more content.

As for Dan, I'm sure we all want him to be happy. But if doing YouTube is that detrimental to his happiness and mental health then maybe it's time for him to be done. Find a different path and take it, you know?
flarequake
not an airport stalker

It’s one thing to give a favourite creator $5 a month, but it adds up if they both do it, also if they brought back the gaming channel too, then it could be $15 a month. It’d be nice in that case if they’d work something out that didn’t make it keep adding up (though they’re planning on keeping separate merch sites, so separate shipping, so :shrug: ) Even if Phil gets tens of thousands of dollars a month from it, he can only give us so much extra by himself. From our side, how much do we expect in return for $5 month? A smaller creator charges the same using YouTube’s system, but could get a lot less (vs Patreon’s hierarchy system for example, though you still only make a lot by having a lot more patrons). As people have said already, we think or hope he won’t keep anything too much just for members, that’s a line they all have to tread to not alienate or lose viewers who are less well-off.

I thought that if 10% of the active audience who took the phandom survey a while ago (17k I think) bought memberships and he got $2.50 from each, that’d give him $4,250 a month or $51k a year. Still a good rate of pay from just one revenue stream. 5% might be more realistic, idk.
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

rolling in from the crypt. hiya peeps. edit - i'm very negative, sry.

phils video: reminded me of liveshow phil, not scripted, lots of umms and awkward ahhs. And the penis jokes :roll: nothing very interesting, but comforting all the same. like a quick hug.

subscriptions: what ppl want to do with their own money is their own (i've removed an expletive starting with f but feel free to read it with it) business, as long as they go in knowing the deal, it's all daisies.

dapg hiatus: ridiculous idea to take an extended break. Their duo branding is their biggest seller, but their choices, their actions, their consequences, hope it works out for them how they want. but still, i miss them. sad face.

dan: even youtube is part of the "real world" and not posting cuts income. Taking care of ones' mental health and overall well-being is good, but his extended pause is also unfortunately unrealistic and inaccessible for most of their viewers, they have the savings to do so, most don't and have no choice but to endure. But again, their money, their choices, their ding dongs..(losing the plot) (going back to the crypt)
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

CapriciousCrab wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm As for Dan, I'm sure we all want him to be happy. But if doing YouTube is that detrimental to his happiness and mental health then maybe it's time for him to be done. Find a different path and take it, you know?
Thanks for saying this. He seems to like being an entertainer and he seemed so passionate about working on II. Compare that passion to how he is about making Youtube videos and it says a lot about how he seems to see Youtube these days. I'd rather he tried something new than trying to force himself to continue with Youtube if that's not what he loves anymore. I've said this before but I can totally see him as a stand-up comedian (for example). He's naturally funny and has the kind of quick wit most comedians have. (My one dream is seing Dan on a panel show like wilty or QI one day, wouldn't he be amazing at that...)

I mean, maybe I'm wrong and he loves Youtube and just has trouble figuring out what direction to take his Youtube career in but I just can't help comparing how passionate he was about making and performing II to how conflicted he seemed about making videos at the same time in 2018.
waveydnp
drama llama

i guess it all comes down to wanting more communication. what i REALLY want is joint content, but if dan is seriously done with youtube i’d like to know. it’ll hurt a lot worse to hear that he’s not coming back after months of waiting than just ripping off the bandaid right now
Ablissa
pastel persona

I really don't think Dan is quitting YouTube. I honestly don't see them breaking up their joint brand - it would be such a bad career move after they spent four years or more establishing themselves as a single unit.
I think he might put less focus on YouTube than Phil will, but I'm really hoping they will both still continue to bring us joint content once this hiatus is over.

Are there any chances for a Dan video this month still? He kind of promised it, right?
I miss them... I'd feel way better if we knew what was up. I hope they see the state of their fandom and try to keep us posted more.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I don't think Dan is quitting youtube either. Also he recently said in a reply on twitter that he was planning on making more videos and he wouldn't have said that if he was planning to quit soon.

I just want Dan to say something, even a "hello losers" would do. This silence is so unsettling.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

It’s Netflix and burgers night
autumnhearth
senpai

^It’s okay Phil, it’s your birthday week. I guess celebrations didn’t start this weekend, though if I recall most of their extended stuff with friend groups has been belated.

I have no issue with the subscription, but personally I’m keeping my $5 to save up for our next home, not theirs (mind you we’ve bought half a dozen items of merch in the last two years Including Truth Bombs and the DVD and of course going to the tour as well, so I’m not coming from a place of D&P don’t deserve my money/support).

@Ablissa I don’t think Dan promised anything and I don’t think we’ll get anything from him until February at the earliest. I’m fine with whenever, whatever, I just want him to be happy (not saying anyone else doesn’t).
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

Woah ok I missed a lot of discussion, but now that I'm out of the hospital (again ugh), I'm popping back in to say Phil's vid was a very nice little respite from that ordeal, which confused my ER nurse when I went from wracked with pain to smiling at a video on my phone lol. Anyway, it was basically what I was expecting, but still lovely and Phil-ish. I don't really think the end result was particularly nice looking, but I generally don't care about aesthetic stuff or interior design. Some of the stuff was neat though. I loved seeing the deer candle Dan gave him for Christmas a couple years ago!!!!! Though I want to see it half melted tbh...

And I don't personally get the anger about the membership thing (though not saying you shouldn't be angry/annoyed! I just don't quite understand), because to me it just seems like a way to more directly support your favs if you feel like it and have the means, not like it's paywalling actual content, or like there's any pressure to pay but I guess we have to see what he does with it further along the road... Like personally I haven't ever bought anything from them, gone to a show, or paid for YouNow stuff, etc. just bc I haven't been interested in the actual stuff, not because I haven't wanted to support them. So I might consider that option in future, idk. Though for now I'll donate to THE PHANDOM GIVES FUNDRAISER FOR MAKE A WISH FOR PHIL'S BIRTHDAY instead.

And yeah I don't see Dan leaving YouTube, at least not at this moment. I think he really does want to try to find a way to make stuff he's proud of that also doesn't totally take everything out of him. I mean, we'll see if he does manage to do that or not, and that might determine when he'll leave at some point down the line. But atm I don't think it seems like he wants to quit.
knq
lava lamp

Katka wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:05 pm
CapriciousCrab wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm As for Dan, I'm sure we all want him to be happy. But if doing YouTube is that detrimental to his happiness and mental health then maybe it's time for him to be done. Find a different path and take it, you know?
Thanks for saying this. He seems to like being an entertainer and he seemed so passionate about working on II. Compare that passion to how he is about making Youtube videos and it says a lot about how he seems to see Youtube these days. I'd rather he tried something new than trying to force himself to continue with Youtube if that's not what he loves anymore. I've said this before but I can totally see him as a stand-up comedian (for example). He's naturally funny and has the kind of quick wit most comedians have. (My one dream is seing Dan on a panel show like wilty or QI one day, wouldn't he be amazing at that...)

I mean, maybe I'm wrong and he loves Youtube and just has trouble figuring out what direction to take his Youtube career in but I just can't help comparing how passionate he was about making and performing II to how conflicted he seemed about making videos at the same time in 2018.
I hadn’t thought about this but it’s an excellent point. I tend to think of Dan as someone who is naturally going to be critical of his creations regardless of feedback. But he really hasn’t been like that with II. Despite bring depressed around the time they filmed the DC, and despite Phil interrupting him to point out Dan sounded a bit self congratulatory, Dan was really still very positive and passionate about II the whole way through the DC.

I think a big part of that is it’s not just Dan’s work that went into it: he’s less critical of his videos with Phil than he is of his solo ones. And perhaps the production value, and being able to communicate and alter his vision based on discussions with a team of professionals, means Dan is more likely to be happy with the final product. I don’t recall if it was recent, but I do remember Dan saying he tends to procrastinate less when he’s working with a team too.

I think he might be really happy as a kind of director of a small creative company working with other professionals, not that I know what that would be. As much as he’s an introvert who likes to be alone (with Phil) it seems like Dan is happier with his creative projects when he’s working with a team but also has control over the final product (the TATINOF trailer with the old woman, for example).
fizzymcguire
tol bean
Pronouns: she/they

Ablissa wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:29 pm
autumnhearth wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:20 pm Obviously I don’t agree with the last two sentences (their blog names says everything), but I do love me some numbers. Can someone remind me how this compares to the money they make per liveshow?
I really don't think it will be that much per month (30k is being wildly optimistic I think, in terms of how many people will subscribe,) but regardless, I'd like to chime in and say that not all the youtube memberships are $5. In Poland it's PLN 14.99, which is about ~$3.9/month. I think the prices may vary by country, I also heard of someone having an even lower fee.

Of course, these are relatively small changes. Most of Phil's subs will be from the UK, US and a few other places that charge $5.

I'm also quoting a great post by @alittledizzy from a few pages back.
alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:37 am Dolan twins have 8.9 million subscribers - one of their member perks is access to weekly bloopers for their weekly videos. The blooper links go up as an unlisted video. Right now the view count for their last one (exactly one week ago) is 22,748. And that's accounting for the fact that the link spread on twitter, since it's just an unlisted video and anyone can share it. (Which, yes, is how I found it.) I feel like there are two ways to look at it, because on one hand that means that an incredibly small percentage of their 8.9 million subs actually became members - but on the other half even if you said half those views are from people who got the link when it spread around that means that means they're pulling 50k a month from memberships.

You can draw your own conclusions about how that compares to what Phil might make. Dolan twins are some of the hottest on youtube right now but phandom is incredibly dedicated and I could see Phil still getting between 5-10k people willing to hand him five bucks a month just out of loyalty/those shiny cactus emojis/the chance at having a question seen.
I'm still really okay with the memberships, while we're on this subject. And I don't get why some people on tumblr/twitter hate them so much. The additions are REALLY cosmetic and it's a way to support your favorite creator - it's not like Phil is dividing his fanbase, because the members really don't get much in the way of perks. (Which, by the way, if he ever decides to add proper perks - I will support that too. It's still better than patreon, and this is his job, he's allowed to find new ways to make money off of it - it doesn't diminish his appreciation of his audience.)
One thing I will agree with is that if he/they want to make the membership work, they NEED to step it up with their youtube content, and be consistent and present.
all really really good points monika thanks for sharing :)
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

missed quite a bit of stuff and had to catch up, but uh, hmmm...dang, this hiatus really IS taking a toll on us, and it shows.

re:dan (aka. my open letter for dan) - "my sweet tall child, as much as i love you and respect your breathing space....i do miss you. now, i can say with confidence that ill probably be happy with like a tweet or something just to let us know youre alive. i know youre busy planning for your future and sorting things out, but hopefully you just peek out of your cave and drop us a bomb in a form of a video or something. kthxbye"

now that thats out of the way, i do find it suspicious that only phil has been giving us content. dan does not exist right now and all i could wish for him is that hes alright.

re:phil - i have no problems with him enabling memberships, but i dont think ill join it for now. mainly because im aware of their upload schedule and i dont think the perks are enough to make the cut for me. besides, i know i can always support them through other means like buying merch and etc. that said, i cant help but roll my eyes toward the people that complain about it.

if you joined because you want to support them, thats great! but that also comes with the understanding of what youre putting your money into and that youve decided that this is what you want to do 100%. if people are complaining about the lack of perks, then thats fair enough.............but, you are the one who is in control of your money (or your parents if youre borrowing their money..) you can actively choose not to join it if you think it isnt worth it. then there are those that are salty, just because it felt like phil is "selling out" on youtube...this is nothing but another option for them to gain income. if you have a problem with it, then dont join.

again, i really dont get why people like to hate on things, its not that hard people
"you are next to me in my life"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan and Phil in 2019, what's that about?

The tightest angles possible for filming and social media photos, apparently.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:36 am Dan and Phil in 2019, what's that about?

The tightest angles possible for filming and social media photos, apparently.
To quote something I said earlier: can you smell that? the sweet scent of cardboard is in the air. My tin hat is on more firmly than ever. And tbh it feels similarly to the last time they were moving, and we all know that they loving dropping hints.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I have concluded that post- phil video is much worse than pre- phil video and I didn't appreciate what I had when I had something to look forward to.