Dan & Phil Part 81: Now what?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

kavat wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:45 pm At least he's alive.
What a waste of those floor to ceiling windows. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are moving this year, I just don’t want to put any effort into believing yet, you feel?As for going to IoM it’s probably a coin toss. I’m just full of strong opinions today. And at the top of the page too. :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lmao i love him

update: i love him even more
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It seems like Dan and Phil finally caught on to the mood of the phandom and decided to mention each other in tweets today. It’s not much but I’ll gladly take it over the silence.

Also: Phil continues being funny.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Okay but what about a video where Phil recreates the most iconic dreams he had? I'm just imagining dnp in a lip sync battle and now I need to see it.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Phil did a membership thingy, asking for video ideas.

Some of the comments he "loved" (that I'm too lazy to screenshot) include:
- "take ur glasses off and try and identify images like jenna did i wanna see how blind u rly are"
- "more subscribes choose my outfits! :)" - and Phil's iconic reply: "maybe a metallic green shirt and metallic jeans would actually look good with a quiff?"
- "I really like an idea I saw in the comments of the video about a trying new things series! I think that would be really cool."
- "do you have any notebooks from childhood/school? it would be cool/funny for you to take us through those! the mind of young phil is fascinating!!"
- "I die laughing every time I watch "The $5 Internet Experiment" video, and I've always wanted a sequel."
- "Rhett and Link did a thing where we were supposed to show their pictures to people who didn't know who they were and ask what they thought their names were, what they did for a living, and whether they'd be friends with them."

Let's hope he uses some of those! Loads of requests for a brother vs best friend kind of thing that he ignored as well.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

On that note I'd say he has at least 238 members as that's currently the number of likes on the post. There's about 400 comments but some could be multiples.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

At the moment there are no suggestions for the next thread name! If you have ideas, please leave them here!
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:20 pm At the moment there are no suggestions for the next thread name! If you have ideas, please leave them here!
dan and phil if you're reading this...please do something noteworthy so we can have a new idb thread name...
:please:
thank's you were great
lionandllama
squish

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:41 am
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:36 am Dan and Phil in 2019, what's that about?

The tightest angles possible for filming and social media photos, apparently.
To quote something I said earlier: can you smell that? the sweet scent of cardboard is in the air. My tin hat is on more firmly than ever. And tbh it feels similarly to the last time they were moving, and we all know that they loving dropping hints.
Or it’s just Dan who’s moving out now that Phil is about to turn 32, and that’s why only Dan is so quiet on social media, because he’s busy packing his stuff, and they’re giving up the filming flat because Phil doesn’t need it on his own, thus the background change, and that’s also why they said “No” when people asked if they’re moving, because they’re not both moving.

...I’m kidding, I recently had a dream like this in which Phil just announced it in a liveshow like it meant nothing and just explained “It’s cool living with your best friend but I’m 32 now and we just need to finally start building our own lives. I will visit Dan a lot tho and vice versa” and I was like... um?????? Literally woke up in cold sweat. lmao

Anyway, about the membership thing, it seems Phil only engages with comments within like the first five to ten minutes of posting his original message, much like on Twitter. Wonder if that’ll change and he actually reads everything, at least now that it’s still somewhat overseeable.
I saw a lot of really cool video idea suggestions that involved Dan, too, but he didn’t seem to have acknowledged those.
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

i love how the title for this thread is so vast in scope. its like the title of an adam curtis documentary as imagined by contrapoints or smth. addresses the fact that society seems to be stuck in some post-2016 rut of meaninglessness and disintegration

and that sense of ennui is kinda present here too bloody hell its ripe for a big fat psychoanalytic dissection where it turns out we're all sexually attracted to and in a quasi-abusive relationship (lol) with the entropysphere thats engulfed internet subcultures one and all. 2009 this is not
BuffyFiona
sofa crease

cherrybomb3 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:38 am it turns out we're all sexually attracted to and in a quasi-abusive relationship (lol) with the entropysphere thats engulfed internet subcultures one and all. 2009 this is not
...you alright there, bub? :itsokay:

to add some positivity to our closed system gradually descending into disorder: I missed it if anyone mentioned it, but Phil complimenting first subscriber John on a selfie of his newly dyed pink hair was so sweet to me idk why it just made me smile!!!! And it does look so good I agree!!!
knq
lava lamp

BuffyFiona wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:58 am
to add some positivity to our closed system gradually descending into disorder: I missed it if anyone mentioned it, but Phil complimenting first subscriber John on a selfie of his newly dyed pink hair was so sweet to me idk why it just made me smile!!!! And it does look so good I agree!!!
Aw! I saw the Phil like but I didn’t know who that was. Love that for Phil. And the dye job does look damn pretty.
liola
rankussy

cherrybomb3 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:38 am i love how the title for this thread is so vast in scope. its like the title of an adam curtis documentary as imagined by contrapoints or smth. addresses the fact that society seems to be stuck in some post-2016 rut of meaninglessness and disintegration

and that sense of ennui is kinda present here too bloody hell its ripe for a big fat psychoanalytic dissection where it turns out we're all sexually attracted to and in a quasi-abusive relationship (lol) with the entropysphere thats engulfed internet subcultures one and all. 2009 this is not
And good morning to you <3

Also, that color on John looks fucking fantastic and I'm glad Phil showed his appreciation not only by liking the pic but also commenting.

Only one day until the grand Royal tour begins - what will it bring? I am hoping for at least one picture that is actually from 2019 or I'm gonna believe the "they've sold their faces to science" theory :stan:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Elemancy
butt chair

cherrybomb3 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:38 am i love how the title for this thread is so vast in scope. its like the title of an adam curtis documentary as imagined by contrapoints or smth. addresses the fact that society seems to be stuck in some post-2016 rut of meaninglessness and disintegration

(I'm too tired to really understand if you're coming from a place of genuine frustration/anger or just idle playful musing, so don't read too much into this if I've misread your intent. Though reading your post sparked a few thoughts that I hope come across as more consolatory than didactic.)

I think saying we're collectively stuck in a conundrum of spiraling disorder contradicts and oversimplifies the grand scope of things, though we're conditioned to a bias where it's easy to focus exclusively on extremes of perceived negatives. (and positives) Everything is more varied and complex than that, at once entropic and negentropic, people even more so. Especially when talking about the dissolution of past selves, old ideas and bygone eras where moving on becomes more complicated when trying to reestablish the terms for what comes after is relative to an exhaustive array of internal and external factors.
Perceived breakdowns of societal structures and collective consciousness are cyclical in nature and subject to ongoing fluctuations in everything from technology and politics to perspective and identity. Nothing ever remains in a critical state of chaos and nothing stays in stasis for long either. In this instance here, it feels like being stuck between both states at the same time. It's a new year and a new conversation where the terms are not so much ill-defined as waiting to be defined at all. We're always reassessing our individual and group associations with the subcultures and media we relate to- in turn subject to their own fluctuations as the individuals responsible for creating it adjust the terms of their creative inspiration and personal identities as well. In the interim between dissecting those associations and redefining them, ennui is inevitable, but so is the steady upwards trend towards establishing renewed clarity where ennui gives way eventually to new information and new perspectives ready to be acted on.

Freudian attraction to entropy or self destruction is also relative. We're always in bed with our past selves, old memories and old habits in one way or another until we're ready to move on and we're always wanting to disintegrate the parts of ourselves we've outgrown but which continue to linger in some form regardless. It's the natural state of wanting to move on but unwilling to let go so soon, unable to abandon the familiar for the ambiguous, whether because we can't let go or the people around us refuse to let us let go. In the case of the microcosm that is this forum or phandom at large, Dan and Phil have set the precedent for change and a new foundation of personal and creative growth, the terms of which is ultimately as important for them as it is to us (*distant echoes of the II theme are heard*)and as ominous to think about too. In other words, "now what?" Phil's video title brings it home even further, 'time for a change.' What does that mean beyond backgrounds and banners? In letting go of old ideas and their past selves, in coaxing us in turn to let go as well to allow them to move on, what can we expect? What do they expect from us? Will the terms of the relationship to the audience change and if so, how? and how much? and when? and how much will we change along with them?
Communication, intent, content, interphandom discussions, boundaries and perspectives are all in a state of flux and it feels at once alienating, ambiguous and interesting.
Furthermore, figuring out what it all means in the post II era seems like it'll take more time to understand fully as Dan and Phil take time to re-establish themselves for themselves.

"Now what" is the same rhetorical question that's always been posed every year in different ways, it just seems more pointed in this instance with the last curtain call for the II tour now officially over, heralded by Dan's tweet about "moving on with our lives" and his consistent insinuations of focusing on personal growth and expanding beyond the constraints of his past branding. But moving on is more complicated when there's a subset of millions moving in your wake all redefining their ideas and terms of engagement in tandem with yours. It's daunting on both sides and finding ways of coping with the change or what it might ultimately yield equally so.

As the power structure or paradigm shifts so does everything else around it but though the gradual evolution of it yields periods where nothing of any real importance appears to be happening at all in the meantime and people groping for clarity comes across as nihilistic overtures of meaningless, it's not really the case. Just part of the process building up to the catalyst of whatever happens next.
Right now is a time ripe for new beginnings and readjusting the status quo, but again, in this microcosm where those two factors depend on the two people with an audience rallied around them, waiting to move as they move, the question remains, "now what?" and the answer remains the same recursive blank slate waiting to be filled in, broken down, and filled in again. and again. and again.

tl;dr: we're not stuck in a rut, just going through the motions of a cyclical state where we're all grasping for meaning and trying to connect with ourselves and each other, even if the conversation seems lost in translation at times. :platonic:
:dildo:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Wow, that was very interesting. Good explanation :respekt2:

Dan’s tweet about the ‘royal tour’ reminded me of a dream I had during Tatinof, it was them going around a city to advertise the show, but they were dressed like princes, all in white, and looked amazing. They’d pull up to a fancy mansion in a horse-drawn carriage, be shown in by their footman or the family’s butler and stand in the hallway by sweeping stairs to announce their tour. Best dream ever tbh.
autumnhearth
senpai

^^ Gosh I missed both of you.

^ That dream sounds amazing. Before my II date I had a dream that D&P had a parade that ended at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I only caught the end of it, but it seemed small and sad. One float and maybe half a dozen members of a marching band. Princes and carriages sound much better.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

:gayaf:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

So, are they going up north or...? :sherlock:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

glitterintheair wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:02 pm So, are they going up north or...? :sherlock:
It looks like Phil is at the very least and since they were both active on social media at the same time and it’s phils birthday which is a national holiday at this point I’m assuming/hoping that Dan is there too. Fingers crossed for another iom picture
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Amiaw wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:17 pm
glitterintheair wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:02 pm So, are they going up north or...? :sherlock:
It looks like Phil is at the very least and since they were both active on social media at the same time and it’s phils birthday which is a national holiday at this point I’m assuming/hoping that Dan is there too. Fingers crossed for another iom picture
Now we wait for Cornelia to pull through and confirm it.
Cross everything! Please boys :6-year-old dan:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Maybe they're going to Japan. That would be even better :ribena:
liola
rankussy

Ablissa wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:37 pm Maybe they're going to Japan. That would be even better :ribena:
I'm sorry, who gave you the right to plant that seed in my brain so that now I won't stop thinking about it until I'll cry myself to sleep when it inevitably doesn't happen? Uh? :pls: :pls: :pls: :pls:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Dan did mention the royal tour, after all, so of course he's with Phil.

I personally think that tour should be IoM followed by cute romantic vacation on undisclosed sunny island, but unfortunately they won't hire me as their travel agent.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

rizzo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:14 pm Dan did mention the royal tour, after all, so of course he's with Phil.

I personally think that tour should be IoM followed by cute romantic vacation on undisclosed sunny island, but unfortunately they won't hire me as their travel agent.
THIS. hurts.
:gayaf:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

So IOM #confirmed.
rizzo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:14 pm I personally think that tour should be IoM followed by cute romantic vacation on undisclosed sunny island, but unfortunately they won't hire me as their travel agent.
What exactly can I do to make this happen? Just tell me and I will.