Dan & Phil Part 82: now onto the future

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

SpikyLeaf wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am Phil looked quite aged in the photo from Ciara. I know he’s 32 now but it makes me wonder, when do you think they’re gonna stop youtube? And how? :shrug:

Wow that feels like doomsday talk. I think they will stay on YouTube at least another 2 years minimum, if not more.
Haha, I don't know, he doesn't look aged to me. He's 32, could pass for a few years younger - but 32 is still young. If he grows with his audience - as in, aims for people that are mostly 20+ - he'll be more than fine on YouTube for quite some time.

I'm going to say something controversial - as long as they're a duo, I think they will do okay on YouTube. Solo content however? I don't know. That's why I'm antsy about what they are doing now, because I firmly believe their focus should remain on join content (not just because that's what I want the most, but also from a business standpoint.)
In general though, YouTube will stop being a good source of income for them at some point (it's already far worse than before, I think), but I think they will still make videos now and then, even if their main focus will be elsewhere.
I don't see any "quitting youtube" kind of videos, but maybe from Dan? But again, it won't be anytime soon.

Also, welcome to IDB! :welcome:
kavat
pastel persona

Ablissa wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:22 am
SpikyLeaf wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am Phil looked quite aged in the photo from Ciara. I know he’s 32 now but it makes me wonder, when do you think they’re gonna stop youtube? And how? :shrug:

Wow that feels like doomsday talk. I think they will stay on YouTube at least another 2 years minimum, if not more.
Haha, I don't know, he doesn't look aged to me. He's 32, could pass for a few years younger - but 32 is still young. If he grows with his audience - as in, aims for people that are mostly 20+ - he'll be more than fine on YouTube for quite some time.

I'm going to say something controversial - as long as they're a duo, I think they will do okay on YouTube. Solo content however? I don't know. That's why I'm antsy about what they are doing now, because I firmly believe their focus should remain on join content (not just because that's what I want the most, but also from a business standpoint.)
In general though, YouTube will stop being a good source of income for them at some point (it's already far worse than before, I think), but I think they will still make videos now and then, even if their main focus will be elsewhere.
I don't see any "quitting youtube" kind of videos, but maybe from Dan? But again, it won't be anytime soon.

Also, welcome to IDB! :welcome:
I agree. Phil's been doing videos for like 15 years, it's hard to picture a world where he wouldn't make them in some capacity. It might not be his main occupation, or it might not be on youtube, but you can tell that he just loves making stuff and being in front of the camera.

I'm holding on to my dream of Phil the gameshow host, personally.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ablissa wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:22 am I'm going to say something controversial - as long as they're a duo, I think they will do okay on YouTube. Solo content however? I don't know. That's why I'm antsy about what they are doing now, because I firmly believe their focus should remain on join content (not just because that's what I want the most, but also from a business standpoint.)
Yeah, I agree with this - even though I definitely get that they probably are at a point where they might want to focus more on their own things, the Dan & Phil branding will always be their strenght. Cutting that off would be a suicidal business move.

Also, I don't see Phil quitting anything soon. I mean, look at Jenna Marbles for example; she's 32 and she's living her best life and I get the same vibes from Phil. As for Dan, probably he will grow tired of YT eventually, if he keeps seeing it as a duty more than anything else, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon either.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I think they could each continue alone with their more dedicated audience, though it would be way easier together unless they're sick of each other. Reminds me that when Mark Owen from Take That was on Celeb Big Brother, the fanbase came out in force to vote for him, there are more recent examples too. Whether they'd have much growth seems less likely, whether or not they refresh what kind of videos they make. The golden age of hugeness for them in number growth on youtube is over and I imagine they might be glad for it now.

Phil is looking older, has been for a while and the quiff makes it more obvious, but also suits him so much better in looks and confidence. 32 really isn't that old, to me 82 is, though a 102-year-old might dispute that. At 35 we're not considered young people anymore, but there are older people on YouTube who started around his time and later, Phil De Franco and GloZell are my first thoughts and I don't know how well either are doing on or off YouTube. Income from videos might not be the highest priority anymore, though it might be enough still that they'd notice the lack of it.

Had a quick look at their social blade pages. Just from the Last 30 Days bit:

Phil:

-7,229 subs
+2,507,640 views
£407 - £6.5K estimated earnings

Dan:

-11,574 subs
+1,477,740 views
£240 - £3.8K estimated earnings

Dan has more space to lose subs and with less recent videos, the view count difference to Phil's isn't necessarily so stark.

People I watch often surprise me with how young they are, though. I've only noticed it recently that Jazza's 29, a few others are 20 when I was thinking closer to 25. I'm curious now whether I watch more from younger people than older, I know I scroll past a lot.

Good points about them both, @glitterintheair :tu:
Pip
not a first-time poster
Pronouns: they/them

Hi everyone, wanted to crawl out of lurkdom to say that I really enjoy reading all your discussions! Just wanted to share my two cents on ~the future~. I've always felt that if I were dnp I would want to have some sense of where I was heading in the long long term, and assuming they're together those long term plans would probably involve being able to be less regularly open about small things but overall more open about the bigger things (for example: if they move into a permanent home/get married/have kids one day, chances are they won't want to show too many details of their private day-to-day lives, for their own security and also for their potential kids' wellbeing - but on the flip side, you can hardly be living together with children and still keep your relationship a secret). For that to be the case, I think they need a couple of things:

- A smaller fanbase, or a fanbase that is less invested in their personal lives
- A stable income/career that isn't based primarily on their relationship/their personal lives.

I don't think this means that they want to step away fully from the Dan and Phil brand, because joint content is something they clearly enjoy making and (as you guys have said) things they do together are currently going to be more successful, at least initially, than other projects. That said, they may want a gradual transition away from the whole double act thing and to begin to branch out into other creative areas independently (with support and input from each other, ofc) in order to shift focus away from their private lives. This was what I understood the whole 'giving the people what they want' thing to be about - I interpreted it as DnP saying 'we're going to step away from this a bit in the long term, but we care about all of you and want to meet as many of you as possible and give you a year full of constant joint content'. Now we're onto stage 2, where they maybe want to create a bit of a separation between their relationship and their career (as I think I would - I'm not sure I would want my career, public persona, income, means of creative self-expression, home, emotional support system, and most of my platonic friendships to all be tied up with my relationship, because that seems like a lot of pressure to put on something succeeding, even if it's very healthy and established. Of course, a lot of people (including me) do have most of their lives tied into their romantic relationships, but I'm not sure it's a good idea long-term for your career/mode of self-expression to be one of those things).

Anyway, my point is that we obviously can't know what DnP's thoughts or plans are, but if they seem to be retreating a bit this year from joint content I don't think we should take it as them ~breaking up or drifting apart - it seems more likely to me that they're just beginning to transition towards a more open and settled life together. I still expect we'll get mukbangs, baking, regular AP and occasional dinofs, and I'd guess that whatever solo projects they unveil in the future will be clearly underscored by collaboration of some kind. I just think that maybe they don't want to be fully open about their relationship until it's very clear that that relationship is in no way being engaged with as a 'product' (not saying that phandom feel that way or that DnP are intentionally using Phan as a marketing tool, but realistically atm DnP do get most of their money from people being invested in their relationship, and I'm not sure they'd feel comfortable with that if they were fully open about being together, however unspoken that openness is).

Anyway! Thank you for reading that long ramble, and thank you for all your respectful discussion and insights, it's always nice to find a calm and mature place for fandom to chat :)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Pip wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:45 pmAnyway, my point is that we obviously can't know what DnP's thoughts or plans are, but if they seem to be retreating a bit this year from joint content I don't think we should take it as them ~breaking up or drifting apart - it seems more likely to me that they're just beginning to transition towards a more open and settled life together. I still expect we'll get mukbangs, baking, regular AP and occasional dinofs, and I'd guess that whatever solo projects they unveil in the future will be clearly underscored by collaboration of some kind. I just think that maybe they don't want to be fully open about their relationship until it's very clear that that relationship is in no way being engaged with as a 'product' (not saying that phandom feel that way or that DnP are intentionally using Phan as a marketing tool, but realistically atm DnP do get most of their money from people being invested in their relationship, and I'm not sure they'd feel comfortable with that if they were fully open about being together, however unspoken that openness is).
This whole post is fantastic but I really love this part. I do agree that I think they might want to do some solo projects, but projects - and solo projects - will always be their future and the future of every active youtuber. I don't think that it has to, or will, come at the expense of joint content and it certainly won't come at the expense of their actual life being a joint production.
knq
lava lamp

The 5 Things I Regret Buying series would be even funnier if Phil was 84, ngl.

Dan liked some tumblr art with supportive messages which makes me happy.
liola
rankussy

Aw the art he liked is all so pretty! I hope he's getting ready to come back online in some form, I've been wondering today what the next thing we'll get is going to be. I realized that it's only been a week since Phil's video - it feels a lot longer, probably because we waited what feels like a lot for a video that was pretty simple.

I have started to toy with the idea that they might give us a liveshow soon - I know that the consensus is that they're dead, but I think they're in the middle of trying to outline the plans for this year and once they reach the end of the planning, they might let us into a tiny door. Even if it's just knowing the end of dapg.

I don't know why I feel like the next thing could be a dinof then a joint liveshow, but this is the vibe for the day. I think joint because it might be easier to share plans without having to set up two different time and spaces to talk about solo stuff, and also would probably be good to reassure people that it's just a creative thing and not a life thing.

Who am I kidding, I just miss their faces and their voices, all of it really.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
firsttimeposter
living flop

As @Elemancy said a while ago, I think a “month in the life of dan” would be amazing for this month of January. with that, I wouldn’t just love hearing his fitness/ health care thoughts, but perhaps he’d feature phil in too. this would show that even though it’s called “week in dans life” phil is still a part of it, which would help with the whole scary thing of “no Dan And Phil TM = no irl dan and phil relationship”. cause we’re used to the DITL of dnp, but they seem to be tired of those (“you’ve already seen a Christmas ditl”). idk if that makes sense haha.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The month in the life concept would actually be amazing. He could test his creativity documentary style and a month is by far a long enough span of time to allow him to decide carefully what he wants to include and what he doesn't, to retain his privacy, to take the pressure off. He could distill it down to 15 or 20 minutes and... ugh I need to not talk myself into really wanting this since it probably won't happen. But what a fantastic idea.
liola
rankussy

This talk of a month in the life is making me remember one fan fiction where they did a year in the life for the 10th anniversary and I just need to stop wishing that is reality. I actually think Dan would love doing some more involved videos, where he has to put himself up for a challenge. It might make him feel that higher purpose that he seems to be craving

Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm going crazy here, guys. I miss them and I just want them to do something. I've never been this needy about anything in my life. Send help (in the form of a deppy video)

Anywayyyy -
Watch fest spon #349583832 <3

Our next watch fest is tomorrow (or today if you're like me and it's 3 am for you, in which case, go to sleep), Sunday, February 3rd! This time we're hosting three showings: 1 PM, 7 PM and 10 PM UTC.

This is our rabb.it watch fest, which means there will be no IDB thread for it. Join us here: https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch

We'll be watching some iconic joint Deppy vids, such as the Blindfolded Makeup Challenge! Each watch party will be different, because we will vote on what to watch next :)

Reblogs and retweets are super welcome as usual! Hope to see you there <3
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Cornelia's new instagram post made me think of Dan.

Also, i wanted to share this piece of art that i dind amazing and a good summary of the situation
:gayaf:
kavat
pastel persona

That art is great. I'm glad I clicked through to Twitter because the preview crops out the trail of dips on the ground. 10/10.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

What are we gonna get from Dan and Phil today? Place your bets:

- Phil's tweet about something weird that happened to him;
- One of those I Am Relatable™ Dan's tweets;
- Phil's ig story about food/drinks/movies;
- Absolutely nothing;
- Who even are Dan and Phil? Don't know them.

I swear, the watchfests and fanfics are the only things keeping me afloat right now.
knq
lava lamp

glitterintheair wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:52 am What are we gonna get from Dan and Phil today? Place your bets:

- Absolutely nothing;

I swear, the watchfests and fanfics are the only things keeping me afloat right now.
What is a Relatable(tm) Dan tweet and how does it differ from his other tweets that might just be the lower case kind of relatable? I’m genuinely curious. It seems like a Thing that happened with his branding and I see it referred to, but I’m never quite sure what’s meant by it.

I have to put my vote with ‘Absolutely nothing.’ Our fathers hath abandoned us.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

@knq his tweet about seeing the sunset on a screen is an example of him being Relatable imo, like it's something you can read and think "wow same".
It's not a complaint, by the way, I find it funny but yeah I think he uses the relatable tweet technique when he can't/doesn't want to say anything too personal.
kavat
pastel persona

glitterintheair wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:52 am What are we gonna get from Dan and Phil today? Place your bets:

- Absolutely nothing;

Dindingding we have a winner
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan is soon gonna need a retirement home himself.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
liola
rankussy

His mum probably called to know if he still had his face, she put lots of work and energy in making it and wants to be sure he's taking care of it.

I've gone insane, please Dan and Phil random tweets aren't enough to feed me anymore glad to know you're alive but breathe a bit more

glitterintheair
phillluminati

Well, we got our dnp content for the day, see you next week, I guess.

Also LMAO:
Ablissa
pastel persona

liola wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:22 pm
I've gone insane, please Dan and Phil random tweets aren't enough to feed me anymore glad to know you're alive but breathe a bit more
Did I ghost write this post? I would do a lot to get a cute ig story right now. Oh, where are the days of two videos a week and daily/almost daily ig stories? Will those days ever come back?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Can't wait for the tweet eight days from now that says "Lava lamp just blobbed! Finally ready to film!"
Ablissa
pastel persona

I love his deep, natural voice. Also - we can't see the floor or much of the location really, other than that it's in the corner of a room, I think? My moving theory is alive and well.

Anyway...Will this video include Dan? Please... please.... plz
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Ablissa wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:27 pm I love his deep, natural voice. Also - we can't see the floor or much of the location really, other than that it's in the corner of a room, I think? My moving theory is alive and well.

Anyway...Will this video include Dan? Please... please.... plz
The echo in that room is terrible. I am so glad we are getting another video but I’m still holding out hope that one day we’ll see their living flat with them in it together again.