Adrian Howell

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

lefthandedism wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pmAll this makes me think of Emily Hayward, who seemed universally beloved, and is certainly sorely missed. :love1: She too spent a fair amount of time in her videos talking about food, both with respect to her cancer and especially in the context of fitness and weight training. I found some of her statements about nutrition suspect--I particularly didn't like her emphasis on highly-processed shakes and drinks and bars, with the sometime implication that the only way to eat properly is through those products. I am in no way trying to diss Emily (I take her pronouncements on nutrition with the same grain of salt as Adrian's). I do find it interesting that I have seen little to no concern about Emily telling people how to eat, in contrast to the concern about Adrian doing it.
That comparison is interesting, and I spent a while thinking about the differences in how they came across to me before I responded because I wanted to give it some consideration. I think for me it just comes down to how I always genuinely felt like Emily was just telling people what she was doing with her life, for her body, and not giving direct advice. The context of it coming in the middle of a vlog that was firmly about her life in various aspects probably lended to me feeling like there was less weight behind specifically the nutrition part. With Adrian, there's really nothing else to focus on besides the fact that he is doing a directly instructional video in which he is talking to the people watching and telling them what to do with some assumed authority on the topic. He's making his whole presence about trying to inspire and motivate people, so I think that the advice he gives needs to be vetted a bit more. But I don't disagree that Emily's emphasis on shakes and drinks and bars was not great, you definitely have a point there. It's just the delivery that chances my perception.

Also came to this thread just to leave this along with a genuine thank you to Adrian because I needed that laugh in the middle of a frustrated morning.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I think you're right that Adrian is more explicitly pitching a how-to in his food-related videos, and certainly in his Instagram. I guess we can hope he'll learn to be more careful about the claims he makes as he appreciates the size of his audience and how they respond. He's still just starting out, so I think there's no reason yet to believe that he won't grow and become better at delivering his message.

Anyway, I tried one of Adrian's recipes--the sweet potato curry--and it was awesome! I'm a long-time vegetarian who doesn't mind eating vegan; the real test is that my kid not once but twice helped herself to the leftovers in the fridge. So it seems to have broad appeal. :salad: :lilheart:

I didn't have exactly the right spices to make garam masala, but whatever I did worked fine. I actually made the whole meal--I love beets, and the lentils are yummy too.

Note for other confused American cooks: as far as I can figure out, the closest product to passata is canned crushed tomatoes.

(I made Adrian's pasta-chickpea dish as well; it was fine but not mind-blowing.)
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I'm not a vegetarian, and no vegan, and don't really see his videos as instructions on vegan cooking or him assuming authority on anything. He said he wanted to inspire people and get them moving but states his goals in a very broad way and you can often interpret his words in many ways. Not unlike his brother ;) Sure, i know he's vegan and very much into exercise and traveling. But he's also signaled he doesn't want to necessarily push his beliefs into others or wants to be dogmatic about them. I appreciate that, because in the end I just see his as any other youtuber (and person) and don't accept any of his claims uncritically.

Much as I don't treat any of his advice (be it about oils or life) as different from the many views espoused by people, I don't think his views ought to be more scrutinized than other youtubers either. He's only ever claimed to share his experiences, so the audience is responsible for what they do with that. If you're so impressionable that you would blindly follow whatever Adrian or other youtubers put out there to the point you're harming yourself or others, you should keep away from youtube to start with.

Looks like he's planning a lot of trips this year. A month in the canaries, he was talking about a trip with another friend to Switzerland (?) and then he's been hinting at doing a big hiking trip in the Himalayas. I hope he likes keeping us informed through his little vlogs and generally just hope to get to know him a bit better because I think he's an interesting guy with a story I'd like to hear.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
obvsly
#relatable

lefthandedism wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 pm I think you're right that Adrian is more explicitly pitching a how-to in his food-related videos, and certainly in his Instagram. I guess we can hope he'll learn to be more careful about the claims he makes as he appreciates the size of his audience and how they respond. He's still just starting out, so I think there's no reason yet to believe that he won't grow and become better at delivering his message.
I've started following Adrian since his first video and I enjoy his videos and instagram posts quite a lot actually. Nothing about his content is mind-blowing but it's pleasant and sometimes gives me some peace of mind in a middle of a hectic day.

That said, a lot of things he said in his videos can really rub me the wrong way. :lol: I had been a vegetarian for 10 years before stopping just last year. I had to stop because it has taken such a toll on my health that I was advised by my doctors to change my diet. In his weight loss video Adrian said "just don't worry about not getting enough protein at this point" and I gasped out loud. No. That's a really dangerous thing to say especially when your audience are young enough to just take your words as bible.

I agree with all of you; it's in how he delivers the message. He could sound very preachy sometimes but I can also see he's already getting better at it. He's still learning and finding himself as a creator, let alone a person. It's interesting for me to see how he would grow on the platform.

Too bad that his videos about himself and his personal life seem to get more attention than others. My fave vid of his is The Novice which is actually well planned and well executed, and, sadly, got much lower views than most. :sideeye:
Stakhanov
haru pillow

I did not expect Adrian to make a whole video about it when I asked him about his life story, but I'm glad he did. I like his video and he's an interesting person. I'd use the word relatable if that hadn't been robbed of it's meaning through years and years of internet culture.
I hope he keeps making more personal video's (while effortlessly biking or running up and down impressive settings). He seems to read a lot too, and I like his little instagram photo's and stories where he marks sentences that inspire him. I think we'll get a good deal of travel/vlog style video's in the coming months with all the trips he's got planned.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm enjoying Adrian's recent instagram venture of speaking with people he meets on his trip and including quotes from them in the photo captions. I think his portrait photography is actually really engaging!
alien
procrastinator

I’ve seen on tumblr people saying he’s doing Skype calls for money for nutrition and fitness guidance but I haven’t seen an actual source. Does anyone know where this info is or has it just been made up? I’m really hoping it’s just been made up because yikes.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alien wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:40 am I’ve seen on tumblr people saying he’s doing Skype calls for money for nutrition and fitness guidance but I haven’t seen an actual source. Does anyone know where this info is or has it just been made up? I’m really hoping it’s just been made up because yikes.
It's the top level perk on his patreon, for $115 a month. Honestly I totally understand the other perks and think they make sense, but any kind of life advice from a 21 year old British guy doesn't sit well with me, especially since he's taken angles before where he says his word like it's the only way, and not something that's just worked for him as an individual. I also think that generally giving advice when you don't have qualifications to do so is yikes. So my hope is that if someone is paying that much they take it with a grain of salt, and are respectful to him because I think something like that could easily lead to abuse of the perk.
alien
procrastinator

thank you for answering!

I hope people are smart enough to know if they’ve got $115 to spend on diet and fitness they should seek out someone with actual credentials.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

I think most people who are voicing such strong opinions about his patreon perk are coming to it from a Dan&Phil fandom perspective. Which is understandable since they are fans but not necessarily in line with why Adrian is making video's, or his thoughts on the matter.
He should not be held by the expectations and worries of others when he's trying to pursue and support his own creative endeavors. He's not his brother, he doesn't need to take into account the associations people make with his brother and the frame of reference of the fandom: it's not the audience he seeks, they bring and insert themselves into the discussion.

As for the "offering paid advice without credentials" that I hear people in the fandom bring up, I don't think that is a fair representation of the perk or an accurate assessment of why he offers it. He's not even assuming to be an authority or licensed professional. Even if he wants to be a mentor or -Zeus forbid- would style himself as a veritable guru that is his choice and he has a freedom to express himself. that said, it's clear to me that he just wants to inspire and share his experiences rather than assert all should do as he does. He can't really control how others perceive his message, tone or how they apply his advice. As with any youtube channel that gives any sort of advice, I think there is a responsibility of the receiver to interpret the meaning of that advice for themselves and decide what they do with it. Certainly it's only they, and not Adrian, who can decide what they practically do with it. People who are to young or otherwise to impaired to reflect skeptically on the value of his advice, and might follow it blindly to the detriment of their own well being, ought not to be watching him or consume any sort of youtube content-or other media for that matter where this is a matter of concern.

It's not clear this skype call would be solely to 'offer advice' either, it's all stated rather broad and it's undefined in it's aim. I think you could just as well talk about travel plans or photography tips. The reading some people give to it as if he's going to pretend to be your personal psychologist I find a strange assumption. I can see how, given his content and activities, you'd maybe bring up exercise, veganism or life in general and ask him for his thoughts. However that would be up to the persons themselves. More fundamentally, what is wrong with people offering advice and trying to inspire this way?
Most advice any of us get is professionally unqualified, and would value the unqualified advice of friends, or strangers which I support to that degree.
If you are willing to pay that kind of money for hearing him offer his advice, go ahead. I'm a patreon of Adrian too and while I don't think it's financially prudent for me to support him for that amount, others could and I think it's no more wrong or right than all of patreon, or the many commercially (exploitative) methods that exist where people decided they were willing to pay money for some privilege. Dan and Phil's meet and greets are a nice example...
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan and Phil aren’t telling you they’ll give you advice on your diet in a meet and greet. I will - and did, in tumblr - defend the fact that it’s a voluntary perk and if someone wants to pay that much to talk to him then it’s their right and I just hope they are gonna respect boundaries. It’s naive to say the most engaged fans of Adrian didn’t come from phandom. I will accept that it’s possible for people to, by now, have developed a genuine appreciation for him on his own. He’s put out enough content to establish himself. But given the intensity of his brothers fans yeah it’s entirely possible for this perk to be abused by someone who would try to lead it to Dan areas. For Adrian’s sake I hope that doesn’t happen. I hope he just gets asked about travel and photography or someone wants to learn more about his world view. It wouldn’t hold appeal to me, but I’m not everyone.

But the diet thing - I do think it’s bad form to be offering advice on that without being qualified. I hope anyone who does choose that perk and asks about that gets a response from him that involves the words “check with a nutritionist” somewhere in there. If he assumes authority to the extent of listing that as something people can ask him about, there may be people who just don’t question it. Sometimes people are blinded by the level to which they feel emotionally attached to someone and falsely elevate the opinions of that person. Hopefully that’s something Adrian is aware of now and considers respectfully when in conversation with someone for that perk.
Ablissa
pastel persona

He must have seen the backlash. The perk is no longer there. His highest perk is now the $75 one that he had previously.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Hm that's interesting. I don't see it really discussed on his youtube channel so how is he getting this information. Browsing tags? Lurking account? Friends? It's good to know that he's seemingly keeping a close eye on his audience ;)
Ablissa
pastel persona

I don't know how to feel about this. I guess everyone has their own experience with depression and anxiety. This type of thing doesn't work for me and pretty much just puts me off. Depression is not just about changing your mindset, not complaining, meditating etc. But I may just be bitter. What do you all think?
Also, is this his family home? I tuned out a few times so idk. I hope it's not, for obvious reasons.
SpikyLeaf
phillion/danosaur <//3

Ablissa wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:06 pm I don't know how to feel about this. I guess everyone has their own experience with depression and anxiety. This type of thing doesn't work for me and pretty much just puts me off. Depression is not just about changing your mindset, not complaining, meditating etc. But I may just be bitter. What do you all think?
Also, is this his family home? I tuned out a few times so idk. I hope it's not, for obvious reasons.
I think it's nice that he's sharing his experience, as that can help other people too. Although the stuff he said is just general things you can do to help anxiety and depression, which is fine, I feel like most people already know about meditating, exercise and healthy eating and whether it works for them, especially if you already suffer with it. I myself suffer from severe social anxiety and find it comforting when other people post about it. I think in general it's a positive youtube video that is inspiring other people to take action on trying to help your wellbeing by talking about his own experience. I also like the direction he is going in with his youtube channel. Overall it was a nice video that made me feel less alone about having social anxiety. Others may not feel the same way but I think it's a positive video on the topic.

Also, one of my first thoughts was "is that his family home?" and tbh I think it is. However, it's not like you can tell where he lives from it as most homes in England look like that.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I appreciate that he's clear about not being qualified and that he speaks from his own experience, but his experience would absolutely not work for me. A lot of what he said is common sense advice that may work for a lot of people but there's an edge of judgement there that falls flat for me. Phrases "obese, depressed fucking piece of shit person" really sour his message. I understand he was talking about himself, but those are words with a lot of meaning. Making the association between depressed, obese, and being a piece of shit? He could just word things better. Weight isn't always a result of not eating well or not being physically active. Sleeping two hours a night isn't always a result of just being on your phone before bed. Depression doesn't make you a piece of shit. Neither does being obese.

Not everyone is a starting from the blank slate that he's gotten to start from. He's a young, white guy with financial security, a flexibility in schedule that leaves him able to devote hours a day to physical fitness and finding himself, and the support system in life to live out some pretty fantastic dreams (world travel, instant success on youtube, sponsorship from companies with workout gear, an audience that wants to hear everything he's willing to say). All those things are great for him and probably feel very uplifting and validating. But not everyone is in that situation, and the implication that someone who can't sleep enough or is overweight is causing/worsening their own depression just doesn't work for me. Depressed people usually already have enough internalized blame going on.
intoapuddle
spork

I don't want to take anyone else's experience from them, but listening to Adrian talk about this stuff I don't feel the same type of relatability that I do when others do. He likes talking about this though, and from what he's telling us he's found a way to deal with it. It just makes me feel weird to hear him talk about it, but then again our lives are vastly different.

I agree with @alittledizzy about the language, though. It's damaging regardless of whether he's using it in reference to himself or not.

I do give him the benefit of the doubt, though. He's a young guy with a newfound passion and a way to express himself, and I think he has a bit of growing up to do, but I don't think his intentions are bad. I just think he needs to read up a little bit, on a lot of things and topics, but some stuff only comes with an experience that I don't think he has yet. Just hoping he learns from any criticism instead of staying adamant about some of his "his way or the highway" attitude.
Philena
blobfish

I cannot finish the video atm, but I will say that it is extremely difficult for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. He is so riled up and passionate, yes, but jesus is he a hard pill to swallow. I am currently at my local gym, post workout, feeling absolutely angry at this young video, while I should be swimming in endorphins and positive synapses (or however he put it). Probably tmi, but I have suffered from depression and anxiety for nearly my entire life. I follow all of his rules, but my brain is still sick. I have learned to cope and take care of myself because I am a 37 year old woman, but I still have mental Illness. I will probably always have some form of mental illness, and I will probably always need an antidepressant.

I feel like I am in a Depression Anonymous meeting. Hi, I am Melissa and I have depression.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

This video was bound to be interpreted differently by different people and get tongues moving.
Hi, I'm Tom and I'm only here for the snacks though they will bring me no true joy ;)

I can understand what you're coming from and if the video makes you angry, I really would not force myself to watch it. I hope it did not deplete to many of your endorphins. But people differ so why not just find other youtubers you can relate with better, rather than foster expectation for Adrian to change (style) to a person he isn't?

When he referenced his inner monologue and used that phrase "obese, depressed fucking piece of shit person" i found it one of the best, most powerful moments of the video. To me, it felt liberating, because it was honest. It's the reality of what he was thinking at the moment. It was his true inner critic, exposed. I immediately understood it to be denunciation of that damaging inner critic, a rejection of the cognitive patters that led him to a point in life he was tired of, and ready to combat.
Show how people differ. I found it a supportive and inspiring video and I do like his style.

Doesn't mean if find the message perfect. I agree that at times he seems to only have eye for the responsibility of the individual. Or that how it comes across at least, and I can understand why. He puts a lot of impetus on the power you have as an individual to take control of your life. To change habits and thinking. I agree in part, and I don't doubt that is his sincere experience and they way he climbed out of his box. But I also agree that his circumstances and mental health are unique and that what worked for him doesn't necessarily work for others. Like you say you can do everything you reasonably can as an individual and it doesn't mean your depression gets cured. I don't think we ought to expect from people they are capable of doing all these things either. A lot of people don't manage to get exercise. 90% of diets fail. Your brain chemistry doesn't always respond like you want and you can't always 'will' yourself to a more positive mindset.
However, nothing in the video suggests to me that he puts blame on people who can't duplicate what he has managed to achieve. I take the message of his video to be inspirational, to share what has been true and done good for him and not to chastise people whose experience is different. So I support him in that cause, and find support in his writings and videos.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I tend to agree that people should watch what they want, and some messages are good for some people and terrible for others. My main problem with Adrian at this point is that he's getting pretty boring. I feel as though he's already told us this stuff three or four times. Yes, in this video he mentions meditation and sleep for, I think, the first time, but as someone said, we already know the received wisdom about those things, and he hardly added anything substantive to the conversation. He would deliver a more powerful and useful message if he spent a ten-minute video on, say, giving yourself the chance to get enough sleep by talking a little bit about basic research about sleep, tips on getting a good night's sleep, and then a discussion about his own experience, with an anecdote or two about how he makes himself put down his phone at night or whatever. He could even throw in a guided meditation if he wants.

That kind of video might give me a bit of food for thought, or even be mildly entertaining (if he can deliver on a good anecdote), whereas walking around his backyard saying the same things he's said while riding his bike just isn't that captivating. I kinda feeling as though what he's doing is more suited to a ramble on YouNow than an actual video.

Oh, and he mentioned near the end that he wasn't sure he'd keep up with his veganadrian instagram, which I think would be a real shame, because that actually is something concrete and useful he's been doing to inspire/help people adopt part of his lifestyle. (I've made a third recipe now and it was almost as good as the first one I tried.)
"Why am I left-handed?"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

He posted a bit of an explanation/disclaimer on his latest video, as well as a comment I almost missed saying he wants to do another q&a and telling people to send him questions. I'm gonna refrain from commenting for time purposes I just thought I'd mention it here (particularly the q&a) in case people have questions for him.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Looks like he plans to write a quickie book about his month trip/vacation to La Palma and will be “self-publishing it and selling it online when it’s finished, using it as a means to subsidize future adventures.”

Boy, he is a presumptuous one isn’t he? Usually I’m on team Grab-that-Cash for celebrities, influences, and generally anyone entrepreneurial... but there’s an overtly self-serving tone I think he’s striking that’s rubbing me the wrong way—sorta like hey! pay for my adventures so I can have the experiences I need (but don’t yet have) so I can tell you how you should be having more experiences like I’m having.

Another observation, he sure does have the Howell knack for waffling about a subject whilst sounding deep but barely scratching the surface. So far when he’s talked about his life story or his history with anxiety and depression, he’s not actually told a story or given any history, it’s just been him mentioning almost casually that he use to be in one state of being and now he’s in another and so much better for it. And yes the drama troll in me is hoping for a Dan mention and hearing about the pressures of having a famous brother and feeling like he never had the freedom of an online identity during his teenage years (and all the other sentiments from the ProtectAdrian faction of the Phandom)—but even without going there, he’s not really covered much history into his past (which in fairness probably has to due with the fact he’s only 20!).

On a side note, I worry a bit about people like him who have the same personality type... those that live high in the clouds most of the time are apt to crash and crash hard if something knocks them down. There’s been a couple of glimpses of that where Adrian has a minor fall or sprain and he gets super frustrated until he pivots to another activity and everything is sunshine and roses again and he waffles on and on about the important life lesson. I wonder how he’s going to cope if he has to face an actual set back like a moderate or serious injury or something else out of his control.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Phantasy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 am Looks like he plans to write a quickie book about his month trip/vacation to La Palma and will be “self-publishing it and selling it online when it’s finished, using it as a means to subsidize future adventures.”
Where does one find out about these things? Instastories? (I just admitted on another thread that I don't even have a yt account--I don't want an instagram account either. I suppose I'm spoiled that I don't need either for Deppy, as I can get everything here or at updatedphan.)
Another observation, he sure does have the Howell knack for waffling about a subject whilst sounding deep but barely scratching the surface. So far when he’s talked about his life story or his history with anxiety and depression, he’s not actually told a story or given any history, it’s just been him mentioning almost casually that he use to be in one state of being and now he’s in another and so much better for it. And yes the drama troll in me is hoping for a Dan mention and hearing about the pressures of having a famous brother and feeling like he never had the freedom of an online identity during his teenage years (and all the other sentiments from the ProtectAdrian faction of the Phandom)—but even without going there, he’s not really covered much history into his past (which in fairness probably has to due with the fact he’s only 20!).
Well said! This is exactly my frustration (and why I'm beginning to find him boring). I feel as though I know little and less about him, despite watching all his videos and reading his instagrams. It would be fine for him to not share anything about himself if what he was promoting wasn't....himself and his journey.
"Why am I left-handed?"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lefthandedism wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:04 pm
Phantasy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 am Looks like he plans to write a quickie book about his month trip/vacation to La Palma and will be “self-publishing it and selling it online when it’s finished, using it as a means to subsidize future adventures.”
Where does one find out about these things? Instastories? (I just admitted on another thread that I don't even have a yt account--I don't want an instagram account either. I suppose I'm spoiled that I don't need either for Deppy, as I can get everything here or at updatedphan.)
The stuff about the book is on his instagram, yeah. This post:

And it's the caption, for anyone that doesn't wanna click:
I’ve touched on this briefly before, but for a while now I’ve had an internal struggle between two aspects of myself which can often be contradicting to each other. One aspect is the athlete - the side that seeks to plan, structure and control in order to achieve certain goals with endurance sports. The other aspect is the artist - the side that goes with the flow, sharing my stories through pictures and writing; with decisions based more on acting with intuition and spontaneity. ⁣⁣⁣⁣
.⁣⁣⁣⁣
I’ve now decided it works far better to keep the two separate - keeping my main instagram account for the photography and artistic expression, and my other account @veganadrian as a platform to share my training, racing, diet and general lifestyle stuff. I’m actually really excited to play with this concept of the alter ego, it feels like I’ve finally found a way to strike a balance between these two polarities which have been competing for my time and attention. ⁣⁣⁣⁣
.⁣⁣⁣⁣
This weekend I’m heading to the Peak District for the Salomon Ambassador Summit, which I’m going to sharing my experience through @veganadrian. Then I’m going to spend the next three weeks isolating myself in order to make a book about my month in La Palma, which I’ve decided to call ‘An Unexpected Journey’. I’m going to be self-publishing it and selling it online when it’s finished, using it as a means to subsidise future adventures.⁣⁣⁣
. ⁣⁣⁣⁣
I’ve always been a person who is drawn to extremes, so afterwards I’m going to spend the month focusing more specifically on trail running - training specifically for the @tom_freedomracing Kernow Vertical Kilometre - 15 miles and with 1000m vertical ascent of inland hills and rocky coastal trails. Then almost straight after me and my friend plan on heading to Morocco to embark on a two week adventure through the Atlas Mountains. ⁣⁣⁣⁣
. ⁣⁣⁣⁣
If this year has taught me anything so far - it’s that plans are never set in stone, and it’s best to be malleable and adaptable to every situation. I have no idea if any of this unfolds how I imagine it will - but either way I’m going to stay detached from the results, and just focus on enjoying each moment that comes my way.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:14 pm
lefthandedism wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:04 pm
The stuff about the book is on his instagram, yeah.
Thanks! I guess I'll have to read his instagram more thoroughly. Related to that, the friend he went to the Canary Islands with has deleted (privated?) her instagram. Anyone suspect the phandom? Sigh. (Obviously, there are plenty of non-phandom harassers on the internet too :cry: )
"Why am I left-handed?"