Jack Harries

flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Starting a thread for him since I've just become fully aware of the state of emergency climate change is in and I don't want to bury this in the 'other youtubers' thread. This is one of the best videos on the topic.

fleur-de-lis
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

That's such a great video, thanks for sharing! I've been following Jack's journey on Instagram since he became an environmental activist and I think it's amazing what he's doing.
I have been aware of the whole agriculture problem for about eight years now, I decided to be vegetarian back then and watched documentaries about the topics. After going vegan almost three years ago I got more educated though and have been reading up on climate change etc ever since.

I think it's incredible how little most people seem to care. They buy more plastics every day, use their car for every little trip and just don't stop to THINK. And I do agree that things have to happen on a political level, it's not only individuals who should be held responsible for their actions, there need to be political solutions - but it's not like most people are doing anything to change that either?
I just went to a demonstration a few weeks ago (there's one every Friday here, Fridays for Future) and while it's great that a few thousand people showed up, there's almost two million living in this city.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

It is hard to see so much carrying on as normal once you're aware of it all, but it's also hard for a lot of people to hear and take it all in, we've heard so much background noise for so long. I've started following a load of groups online, reading and watching loads and sharing probably far too much, my facebook and twitter are almost a solid wall of it in the last 2 weeks, and I've joined Extinction Rebellion in the UK to do whatever I can.

The school strikes are happening here, massive one globally tomorrow of course, and one heartening thing is that it needs 3.5% of any population to take action for change to happen, the "Heading for Extinction and What to do About it" talks on the Extinction Rebellion YouTube channel say that, there was a study of 300 movements for change that showed that, also that non-violent action works (violence fails 19 out of 20 times, turns into something worse).