Discussion of Fics We're Currently Loving

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Yes, it was definitely hot! And I so like description of real-life actual sex happening, with the fumbling around and misdirection and conversation. It's extra-special the first time, but really sex is like that most of the time, not something smooth and automatic.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I also loved the new chapter (and every chapter) of Teenagers, and I agree that the 'realistic' way the first time sex was written was so good.

Jumping on from a bit of discussion (asks) I've seen on tumblr, what is everyone's opinion on if they're moving too fast or at a normal rate? I find it interesting to hear people's experiences and perspectives on this.

I'll start off by saying basically that every experience is obviously different, and I think the pacing makes sense for these characters; but in that same vein, I could also see them waiting longer. I think as long as the writing makes sense and you are able to understand what the characters are thinking/feeling, then I can be convinced either way (which, in this case, it worked out well in the way it was written, i.e. moving fairly quickly from kissing to getting off in the latest chapter).

I do notice a pattern though, that in media, sex among teenagers (both the popularity of it and how fast couples move) tends to be different than the average of what I saw in real life as a teenager. This is just personal experience, but among the friends in different social circles, and with varying degrees of experience after high school (both from who I knew in high school, and from after high school), a very very low percentage did very much sexually in high school. I'm curious to know if this varies among regions, and if it was more common (and more similar to the media) in other people's experiences.

Anyways, this is going off on a tangent and sort of away from discussion of the actual fic (especially since in the fic, it was still pretty tame, i.e. clothes still on. I am curious to see how fast other things move though), but it's just something I was thinking about due to some of the other discussion I was seeing.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

i don't think there really is a "normal" rate, which makes the conversation tricky. a lot of my peers were sexually active when we were in high school, but not so many that the ones who taked things slow (or abstained entirely) was weird or noteworthy. i do agree though that the media tends to portray the majority of teens as quickly or frequently getting into sexual relationships, which i don't think is the case.

anyway, reading the new chapter, their experience didn't strike me as unrealistic, as someone who was once a teenage boy lol
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i think they're going a natural pace, meaning that they both seem comfortable with it and i remember life as a teenager, everything is a bit more fast-paced than adult life so it doesn't strike me as odd. but your remark makes me think of something, when dan asks phil if something is wrong, i was almost convinced that yes, soemthing was gonna be wrong because it's so common in stories that teenage sex "have to go wrong" and i'd have been upset because what i love about this fic is how natural it seems for them.
@whatdoiknow did people think it was too quick?
:gayaf:
kavat
pastel persona

This is a discussion that all boils down to personal experiences and references. To me it didn't seem to fast at all, sure they've just kissed and confessed their feelings for each other but there's been sexual tension between them for weeks. They didn't just meet and these feelings didn't come out of the blue, they've both had the chance to realize what they feel and what they want (side note, the moment when Phil realized the attraction was mutual was so sweet and lovely, bless these ladies for handling this story so well).

I myself didn't have any romantic or sexual experiences until I was 19 (and it would take me another 7 years to realize I was on the ace spectrum) but when it happened things went very fast. Most of my friends were sexually active during high school or even earlier, some with steady parters and some more casual. I see nothing unusual with how things are portrayed in Teenagers.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Yeah it's definitely interesting how people's general experiences and references can be very different, but obviously that's the case with anything. To be clear, I'm not faulting mandy or sarah at all for their choice, especially since it wasn't really all that fast anyway. I just think the trend in media in general is interesting to look at.

More discussion specifically about the fic: other than the obvious (ie the interactions between dan and phil themselves), I think the thing I'm most looking forward to is the conversations around their sexuality and their relationship that will probably eventually happen with other characters, like dan's nan, his ex, phil's brother, etc. I'm really excited to see how all that is going to play out in the future
kavat
pastel persona

Help I need a support group for the whirlwind that is Teenagers right now :dead:
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

kavat wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:21 pm Help I need a support group for the whirlwind that is Teenagers right now :dead:
IKR????? It’s so real. The characterisation is spot on, particularly for Dan. I’m eagerly awaiting Friday
glitterintheair
phillluminati

The Teenagers chapter was just me screaming WHAT THE HELL DUDEEEEE every time Dan did something. And boi did he do more than Something. I need to recover because I'm emotionally exhausted.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
dc34
glabella

LadyLackless wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:57 pm
kavat wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:21 pm Help I need a support group for the whirlwind that is Teenagers right now :dead:
IKR????? It’s so real. The characterisation is spot on, particularly for Dan. I’m eagerly awaiting Friday
Yes, im always left so shook by how well it is. I feel like this is how dan would react irl if this happened to him.

This chapter was everything, and I can't wait till friday <3
kavat
pastel persona

Waveydnp has a new brilliant wip going on so I'm kicking some life into this thread. After ch 4 I just want to give both of them a big hug. Or hug a cat.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

kavat wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:14 pm Waveydnp has a new brilliant wip going on so I'm kicking some life into this thread. After ch 4 I just want to give both of them a big hug. Or hug a cat.
I'm so into this kind of good old friends-to-lovers action!
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

STOP THE PRESS! (when you gonna realise) it was just that the time was wrong by leblonde has been updated! It's been so long I'd managed to forget how much I actually love that fic. <3
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

YOU GUYS THE NEW CHAPTER OF BRUISING THE SUN
i haven't been on this thread for a while, sorry, but like !!!!
kavat
pastel persona

Templeofshame wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:43 pm YOU GUYS THE NEW CHAPTER OF BRUISING THE SUN
!!!! indeed! I think the last paragraphs made me physically sweat. It's just too good.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

kavat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:49 pm
Templeofshame wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:43 pm YOU GUYS THE NEW CHAPTER OF BRUISING THE SUN
!!!! indeed! I think the last paragraphs made me physically sweat. It's just too good.
Yes!! The last paragraphs made me scream. The tension is just so delicious, god.. and I love how sweet and understanding Phil is - he doesn't make fun of Dan or make him feel embarrassed. I love that.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

glitterintheair wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:44 pm
kavat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:49 pm
Yes!! The last paragraphs made me scream. The tension is just so delicious, god.. and I love how sweet and understanding Phil is - he doesn't make fun of Dan or make him feel embarrassed. I love that.
Yes! I think it's so great in this fic to see how they can still bant with the best of 'em and have this amazing tension, but Phil understands where to offer his own vulnerability as comfort rather than tease Dan, and how to move closer and closer to this thing, but not push Dan into anything. It's such a delicate dance, with so many types of communication happening without them saying what's going on, and they know each other and trust each other so deeply that they can navigate it without the kinds of fears you often see in similar scenarios (in fic or in real life, sometimes, i think) that someone's going to be disgusted or it's out of pity or that somehow it's all going to fall apart. It's just lovely and complex and giving me all the feels today.
kavat
pastel persona

I love the fact that even if we're reading from Dans perspective, you can already see so much character progression and growth in Phil. He's just trying to figure out this thing as well. But that's something Sarah always does so well, she makes sure we know that this is a two people journey and I love that.
Philena
blobfish

Bruising the Sun is absolutely killing me! I love it so much.

I wanted to raise awareness for a little fic I just so happened to commission, because it is perfect! a little spark in the dark by @alittledizzy and @waveydnp http://archiveofourown.org/works/18040751 I am swooning over here on International Women's Day :happytears:
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Philena wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:12 pm Bruising the Sun is absolutely killing me! I love it so much.

I wanted to raise awareness for a little fic I just so happened to commission, because it is perfect! a little spark in the dark by @alittledizzy and @waveydnp http://archiveofourown.org/works/18040751 I am swooning over here on International Women's Day :happytears:
I love a little spark in the dark so much! The frame story of it is kind of brilliant, and it's the kind of thing that easily could have been some nice smut and stopped there, but instead it does so much. We get to see their relationship in action in all the ways they navigate the comfort and discomfort, things that spark and don't spark joy, their insecurities and the strength of their connection. Not that it's not also hot, there's just so much to it. I wish I could justify rereading it right now, but I'm both on the clock and not done with my finders fest lists.
Philena
blobfish

@Templeofshame I 100% agree. That is just what the 2 of then do best, though, isn't it?

I just want to scream here in another void about a fic that I absolutely slept on. I just finished Virus by @LadyLackless today and cannot even function atm. I am dead!! Everyone needs to read this.
kavat
pastel persona

Omg @Philena yes, Virus is one of my absolute faves! It blew my mind a few times over when I read it. So so good.
kavat
pastel persona

AAaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

That was today's outburst of feelings over Bruising the sun, thank you for listening
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

kavat wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:47 am AAaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

That was today's outburst of feelings over Bruising the sun, thank you for listening
I feel this in my bones.

The words "definitely not" now have a whole new meaning :happytears:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Aaaaaahhh that Bruising the Sun chapter is my new favourite one so far! So. Many. Good. Things.
When Dan started kissing Phil's back I was like "oh, Phil is awake, HE MUST BE" and then he was and I screamed. That was my favourite moment, even more than the glorious "definitely not". :happytears: