Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

A gif just reminded me that he actually said they were going to flip it. So not actually a forever home. Whether that’s the simple truth or a more cautious way of putting things out there, I’m not sure. If they ever did a renovation series they would need to be seriously supervised. Unless they are just like picking out things and have a contractor... I mean they could hammer and paint, but I would expect only comedy in the failed attempt at using that cordless hammer drill.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I am viscerally angry that we didn't get a deppy house files series. It's my dream! But...my eyes are Wide open at any moving hints and well...it just feels very real right now coming from him like that.

That video was so wonderful though, I really loved it. The mention of pranking Dan, his honest skincare routine (turns out he's just blessed with nice skin because...yeah he doesn't know what he's doing for his skin type lol), a little nod to 2009 furry Phil, ofc the vase joke, mentioning crawling up Thanos's ass, and obviously his love for Chris Hemsworth. Just a very solid video for me!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 pm A gif just reminded me that he actually said they were going to flip it. So not actually a forever home. Whether that’s the simple truth or a more cautious way of putting things out there, I’m not sure. If they ever did a renovation series they would need to be seriously supervised. Unless they are just like picking out things and have a contractor... I mean they could hammer and paint, but I would expect only comedy in the failed attempt at using that cordless hammer drill.
The art of Dan and Phil and addressing any new topic is to phrase it in such a way that people who really want to can go 'but technically they said--' while the end result is usually the obvious thing that most people thought it was gonna be at first. Like, we went down that road the first time they moved, all the casual hints of needing storage and being out of space were interpreted in a million different ways but the gut reaction of 'oh, they're gonna move?' was the right one. The plausible deniability just kept them from being slammed with people feeling like they had confirmation and therefore running full speed ahead with it.

I don't doubt they did talk about fixing the house up, so I don't think he's lying, but I absolutely think the point of that story was to put 'Dan and Phil buying a house' in our minds. And from the way he spoke about being haunted I think it's pretty clear that they planned on living there.

(I also don't know that I believe anywhere they move now, at 32 and 27, is going to be a 'forever home' - but a permanent home for a long time will still make me quite happy to see.)
liola
rankussy

I honestly cannot believe for one second that Dan and Phil of all people would invest time money and energy renovating a house to their own taste and then just sell it right away. There is no universe that is going to happen. Maybe, in a distant future they thought they might sell it again once the value is upped, but not right away just for them to what, go back renting? After buying and renovating a house?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
bevioletsky
glabella

Phil (imagine that in Dan's voice) that skincare routine is absolutely terrible please get yourself a hydrating cleanser if you can only use the Neutrogena one every other day because it's too drying... I mean no wonder, it's bound to be full of SLS. Also cannot understand how anyone can go without moisturising their whole face every day but whatever. Moisturiser and sunscreen, folks. At least we were right about him being a Nivea kind of person.

I am actually shocked that they seriously thought about flipping a house and filming it (three years ago!)? What?? That would have been incredible and everything I could ever want from them and now I'm sad it's content we'll never get. Just imagine.

What a nice video with lots of interesting little details. Also intrigued by whatever the Idea is that he has, must be something he's reasonably confident about to have considered making it into something for so many years and for him to be telling us about it now without it being anything concrete yet.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

liola wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm I honestly cannot believe for one second that Dan and Phil of all people would invest time money and energy renovating a house to their own taste and then just sell it right away. There is no universe that is going to happen. Maybe, in a distant future they thought they might sell it again once the value is upped, but not right away just for them to what, go back renting? After buying and renovating a house?
Yep, I think there's a lot of truth in this. For as much as I want a house files type series from them, I would never expect them to flip and sell after. It's definitely out of character, and like dizzy said, they like planting hints, and planting "Dan and Phil buying a house" right now among everything else holds meaning. Moving hill is very much alive and well.
knq
lava lamp

Oh my god I HATE HIM. How could he just bring up a house flipping series like that and then just drop it and CRUSH ALL MY (remaining) HOPES AND DREAMS?

But also they seem pretty overwhelmed by like, changing lightbulbs, so I don’t know if it was the best idea even without the whole suspicious deaths thing.
George
sad dimple

bevioletsky wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:08 pm I am actually shocked that they seriously thought about flipping a house and filming it (three years ago!)? What?? That would have been incredible and everything I could ever want from them and now I'm sad it's content we'll never get. Just imagine.
I imagined and now I'm laughing... 3 years ago we'd have got all that "Dan's got a bigger bedroom with ensuite and walk-in-closet and all the expensive finishes because he won at rock paper scissors."
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
autumnhearth
senpai

Great points! But it is curious that they were considering an old home though, with their open floor living, with floor to ceiling windows and the highest speed internet possible ideals.

I always use the term ‘forever home’ very loosely and only continue using it as Dan’s one mention put it into phandom vocabulary. I don’t expect them to still be in London when they’re 60. But for however long they want to live in the city, be it 10 years or 25, that’s the home I’m gearing up for.
bevioletsky
glabella

George wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 pm
bevioletsky wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:08 pm I am actually shocked that they seriously thought about flipping a house and filming it (three years ago!)? What?? That would have been incredible and everything I could ever want from them and now I'm sad it's content we'll never get. Just imagine.
I imagined and now I'm laughing... 3 years ago we'd have got all that "Dan's got a bigger bedroom with ensuite and walk-in-closet and all the expensive finishes because he won at rock paper scissors."
lmaoo ok I did not think of this, thank you. I still want it though.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Loved that video! I zoned out during the spon lol but there were so many good moments.

Also, when phil was telling the story about the house, I genuinely forgot for about 20 seconds that he and dan aren't a 100% out couple.
rikonee
drama llama

You all have no idea how much I adore that video. :happytears:

Some things first, the puppy picture and the skincare routine is hilarious. :D Also I forgot that people don't actually think mixing a ton of lipsticks together as normal.

I am happy to hear he's doing well (the vase joke, omg) and that he went to the dermatologist to see if something's wrong (and there is none, fortunately.)

I can't believe Phil just straight up tell me about a house transfomation series with Dan. It could be amazing! But they could be dead too so maybe not the best idea. :shrug: I don't even believe the fact he and Dan are gonna sell it right after transforming it.

Also really curious about the idea thing that could be a book, a show, or a script. It's something I've always wanted him to explore and hopefully we find out one day!

Overall, a really nice solid video for me. :ribena:
Almost married PJ. we broke up tho
-Philip Michael Lester, 2008
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

knq wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:10 pm But also they seem pretty overwhelmed by like, changing lightbulbs, so I don’t know if it was the best idea even without the whole suspicious deaths thing.
This has me picturing Dan changing a lightbulb when it explodes above his head and he jumps out of the way with a shriek, brushing glass from his hair.

Love the video, I was also surprised to see the title and thumbnail and didn’t realise it was the Q&A. The spon was a bit random and I’ve noticed lately that none of them are putting #spon or #ad in the titles anymore. Seems a bit sneaky. I’m mildly tempted by the game, it’s a while since I’ve played any and the characters are cute.

Amazing that they nearly did a house renovation series and so long ago. Phil’s voice as he said “or murder-haunted”, I love it. Can’t imagine them both wielding tools and knowing what to do with them all, though.

I’m weirdly delighted that he uses little old Sudocrem for spots, it seems like such an old brand in its eternal grey pot.

The photo of him with the puppies, are we thinking spray tan before the calendar photoshoot? He looks golden in comparison to now, but I didn’t notice at all at the time.

I hope he writes some of his ideas down and explores them, they can get lost just swirling around your head. Great to hear he has something in mind, though. Intrigued.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I haven't finished the video yet but....... Phils skincare routine is actually terrible?? I couldn't focus after seeing it.
:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 pm I haven't finished the video yet but....... Phils skincare routine is actually terrible?? I couldn't focus after seeing it.
If you want to expand on this - I'm pretty awful about skincare type stuff so I would actually love to hear people's opinions on what Phil does right or wrong/what he should be doing!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Okay I finished and I loved it and I didn't even mind the spon because it's Disney and me and my plushies of the characters from
Wreck-it Ralph were happy of that spon!

I'm still not over the skincare routine. My skin is screaming at Phil. I'm just gonna focus on the cute Dan anecdotes.

edit for @alittledizzy : Phil said he uses his cleanser only every two days (i think?) because his skin feels dry so it's not the good type and that particular product must be for oily skin but even for oily skin it is very drying. My advice : a simple cleanser for "combined skin" (i think that's how you call it in english) twice a day and some moisturiser afterwards. BUT NOT THE NIVEA HAND FACE WHATEVER PHIL USES. Again, a moisturiser for combined skin or oily if you think your skin is oily or sensitive or dry etc. Another advice : if you think it's not doing it for you skin, change it! I think the key is to try another type of product (combined, dry, sensitive, oily) if you think it's not the right one bc it takes some time to find the right one and you skin type can "change" according to the seasons or where you live etc. And he is right : sunscreen is important.
Last edited by Ataraxia25 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:gayaf:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 pm I haven't finished the video yet but....... Phils skincare routine is actually terrible?? I couldn't focus after seeing it.
Agreed, but there's a couple bright sides. 1) He's not using anything with beads, so at least he's not necessarily ruining his beautiful skin???? 2) It's endearing and sweet that he sticks to that stuff. I'm glad he wasn't converted into a La Mer junky in the last few years.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

The Q&A turned out great. I feel like Phil put more personality in this video than he has done with the last 50 combined.
He still checked off all the boxes though. Plants. Dogs. Skincare routine. But there were also some interesting questions he picked that I didn't expect and went a little deeper.

The house house story being one of them. I'm not entirely surprised this has gotten plenty of people excited ;) Fact is they were looking to buy a house, but also for specific reasons. It was cheap and they were thinking of flipping it. Renovating it and selling it for a higher price. Which is a fine investment that many people make. They have the means to do such a thing. So I don't think there's any good reason to assume they were thinking of buying some 'forever home'. If he didn't specifically say they were intending to flip it, it would maybe be a bit different and you could argue they were planning on living there for a long time. In either case, they didn't buy it, and they didn't look to buy another house in 2016 either but are renting an apartment. As with all things, we'll just have to wait and see but I don't see any good reason to see this as Phil testing the waters. If they want to buy a house together, they should just go ahead there is virtually nobody who would have a problem with that. Quite the contrary, I suspect it would make a lot of people happy :lol:

The most remarkable part of the story to me is the reason Phil supposedly decided against buying it. I'm wondering if he's really that superstitious, or if there were more mundane reasons he didn't want to buy the house - e.g. there were unexpected costs, court orders against it, it was a protected monument subjected to very strict and expensive renovating rules...
Last edited by Stakhanov on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Secretstanner
truth bomb

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:13 pm
If you want to expand on this - I'm pretty awful about skincare type stuff so I would actually love to hear people's opinions on what Phil does right or wrong/what he should be doing!
I’m currently trying to follow a Korean skin care routine with is insane and I am failing. For me it was the fact that he’s using a moisturise that you use on body, hands and face!! To me that’s the same as using a shower gel for body, hair and face. He’s jokes about cleanse, tone moisturise but he didn’t even have that down haha I think the most basic skincare people really should do is cleanse, tone, moisturise and add a spf if going outside.

He says he washes his face every 2 days because it’s drying but he really needs to find one that is for his skin type because he should at the very least wash his face twice a day. Also he needs to moisturise after washing his face preferably not with something you also use on your hands.

Sorry it’s boring but I love skincare after have very bad acne up until about 2 years ago so I’ve tried every tick in the book
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Everything wrong with Phil's skincare routine, as said by someone who's had skin troubles since the age of 10, and as such has been building a proper skin care routine for the last 10 years:

-I wasn't going to question his use of face wash (besides how much I despise the brand) until he said it's too harsh for him to use every day. Ideally, you should be washing your face twice a day, every day. First to clean whatever accumulated overnight, then to clean whatever accumulated during the day, especially if you live in a city! What you should be looking for in a face wash is something that effectively cleans your skin, and aids to your skin type needs. There's so much basic information about what to use for your skin type online, as well as quizzes about what your skin type is, so you can figure it out. For me, I have acne prone skin that leans more oily, so I stick to tea tree based cleansing and toning products to help balance out my skin and soothe my acne. I'm guessing Phil probably has "normal" to combination skin so he should probably be using something gentle at the very least. It seems that he's only buying based on the smell smh.

-so...he should be using a toner. A toner opens your pores and gives a bit of a deeper clean of them, prepping them for moisturizer. Especially living in a city as polluted as London I think his skin will thank him for that. Or at least using a toning spray will do the trick if he's lazier. Just something to open up those pores! And again, the toner should be tailored to his skin type. I mean honestly, he can walk into a Body Shop and the employees will be able to help him out. Not too expensive there, and cruelty free!

-I...god. godddddddd there is no excuse to use body moisturizer on your face! Phil...c'mon.... Most body moisturizers say on the package not to use it on your face. It's far too thick and harsh since the skin on your body usually needs more overall moisture, and it needs to cover large areas. Not to mention your body doesn't have several sensitive orifices that can't be exposed to the intense moisture formula in most body moisturizers. Again, he should find something specifically for his face, and something for his skin type. And he should be moisturizing twice a day after he cleans and tones. I even use two different moisturizers for day and night (or a night mask) but to be fair my skin requires more attention. I would just like to see him use something that won't clog his pores lol.

He was right about patting his face dry through, that's good. I do hope he actually washed all the cleanser off his face and didn't splash it off lol because that would only make it more harsh on his skin.

There are definitely more intense regimens, but for me right now cleanse, tone, and moisturize is simple and works wonders, and it's so simple Phil's skin would thank him for that routine and for a more tailored approach to his skin type.
liola
rankussy

I mean it's not like a house offering showed up on their doorstep one day, knocked on their door and was like "yes hi hello I'm a super cheap house that you might wanna be invested in buying come seek me out" like realistically they might have been looking for a house. Which.. we know they did, because they planted the seed of Moving in 2016. They were looking to move. So to me it sounds really silly to imagine two people looking for a new place to live to just go "yeah we just gonna buy a house, get into a crapton of burocracy, renovate the place ourselves and then just fucking throw it away and rent somewhere else"

Like.. sure. That sounds logical, indeed.

(We also have no idea if they haven't kept looking to buy all this time. I wouldn't be surprised at all. All those discussions between Mr carpet and Mr floorboard must have come from somewhere :D )

I'm still really happy with that video, like besides the cute answers there's just something about his vibe in it that I really appreciate. Maybe it's how mature he sounds, especially talking about his social anxiety growth, or the adult question, or just how relaxed and Phil he looked? I'm not sure, but I have this vibe of "yes, this is Phil talking, not AmazingPhil"
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

This was a great video! I thought Phil chose a nice variety of questions, and I thought most of his answers were rather interesting. Here are my highlights:
  • [0:22] Phil shows a derpy/joyful picture of him with some puppies in his lap. This is supposedly the twenty-sixth picture on his phone. I thought the question meant the twenty-sixth most recent picture, but maybe Phil thought it meant the twenty-sixth oldest, as this picture is from a photo shoot that happened in 2017.
  • [0:53] Phil reveals that he successfully pranked Dan on April Fools’ Day by saying that he now likes cheese. Apparently, this prank was able to work because Phil spent April Fools’ Day with his family. While telling this story, Phil showed the following text exchange:
    P: I just ate a cheese platter for breakfast! I think my tastebuds like it now
    D: wHAT
    P: so salty and delicious
    P: i had blue cheese too?
    D: lmao fuck off
    D: omg you got me
    D: lmao
    D: i’m such an idiot
    D: cackling
    P: HAHAHAH
  • [1:17] Phil says that his earliest memory is him saying “light” all the time. He also remembers his grandfather teaching him how to play Scrabble.
  • [2:48] Phil shows his skincare routine. Particularly fun moments in this part of the video include him messily splashing water on his face at [3:33] to mimic TV advertisements, him dabbing at [3:43], and him saying that he’s “not really one for man products” at [4:07].
  • [5:28] Out of nowhere, Phil’s vase "little glass" of water makes a triumphant return. Phil has previously used it here and here. This made me laugh probably harder than it should have. :lol:
  • [5:34] Phil shares that he had a mild medical scare recently. He noticed a weirdly colored patch of skin on his forehead, and Google (unsurprisingly) suggested that it might be cause for alarm. So Phil went to the dermatologist, who told him that it isn’t dangerous.
  • [6:18] Phil says that he showers facing away from the shower head. He claims that he needs to be able to see the room when he’s showering because otherwise someone could just come in an attack him. He then muses that he should probably lock his (bathroom) door………………………..
  • [6:52] Phil responds to the question, “Write another book again?” I was totally taken off guard by his answer:
    P: I do actually have a story in my head. I’m just not quite sure how I wanna tell it yet. So it could be a book. It could be like a TV series style screenplay. It could be a movie script. I just need to consolidate all of these ideas in my head and turn them into the thing. But I have been thinking about it for about five years, so it’s just when the right time is to actually release the ideas.
  • [7:55] Phil tells the full story he originally referenced here about backing out of buying a house with Dan after they found out that three people had died in the house. They were apparently looking into buying the house to flip it and maybe do a show about the process on YouTube. 👀👀👀
    P: “Hi, Phil! Remember during the video about the creepy test, you said you and Dan were going to rent an apartment, but you were told that there was three murders. And you decided not to rent it. And it was a very long story, and you’d tell us another time. Please I want every day to hear about the story!”

P: Me and Dan--I think it was after the first tour...sometime in between. We found this super dilapidated house in London that no one wanted, and it was so cheap for the area. We thought it’d be a great opportunity for us to do up the house and then flip it and then sell it.

P: There was even talk of us doing some kind of house transformation show on YouTube. It was a whole thing.

P: Anyway, we got really far down the line with it when the lawyer--or was it the estate agent? One of them said, “Legally, we have to tell you the history of this house.”

P: And I was just like, What are they gonna say? This is like the moment in a horror movie where they tell you someone died in the house or something. I’m sure It’s not gonna be that bad. I’m sure it will be fine. They said three people have died under suspicious circumstances in the house in the last ten years. Two of them separately in fires.

P: And I was just like: Pikachu face. “No! *sputters* We can’t buy this house! That sounds like the blurb of some kind of horror show like English Horror Story: Murder House. Firstly, I don’t want to get murdered. Secondly, I don’t want to get haunted. Thirdly, I don’t want to get murder-haunted.”

P: And there was also loads of other issues with the house that would be impossible for two people that can’t even bake cookies to fix. So we just decided the whole project was a bad idea.

P: Yeah, if they hadn’t told us, we could’ve been haunted to death. Or worse.
  • Phil continues to remain consistent in listing the three versions of the AmazingPhil Shop at the top of the video description and listing the Dan and Phil Shop with his social media links.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

liola wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:25 pm I mean it's not like a house offering showed up on their doorstep one day, knocked on their door and was like "yes hi hello I'm a super cheap house that you might wanna be invested in buying come seek me out" like realistically they might have been looking for a house. Which.. we know they did, because they planted the seed of Moving in 2016. They were looking to move. So to me it sounds really silly to imagine two people looking for a new place to live to just go "yeah we just gonna buy a house, get into a crapton of burocracy, renovate the place ourselves and then just fucking throw it away and rent somewhere else"
It would be wonderful if houses did that, it would make my current search a lot easier :lol: They were obviously looking for a place to live, but nothing Phil says indicates it was a place that would be something like the famed 'forever home'. I'm just pointing out that they ended up (for now) renting an apartment. Another option would have been to buy another house, which they didn't.

The bolded part of your quote would be a silly scenario but that's nothing like what Phil describes in the video. If Phil says they were going to flip the house and sell it, I believe him. This is not meant to cause offense but I think Dan and Phil are better placed to known their own intentions and so i think Phil's explanation is the most credible one. We can speculate a lot about why he would be lying there or one could think flipping and selling is 'not something they would do', but the flipping scenario doesn't sound that odd to me at all. I mean, it's not like he's throwing it away. The idea of flipping the house after a renovation is usually to sell it for more than you bought it for and turn a profit. Hence why a lot of people do it. It's rather unusual to make such a purchase with a friend, but then I also think their friendship is unusually strong and so are their life circumstances and the means they have to be able to make choices like that. In the end, if it was a smart financial move and you trust each other, why wouldn't you do it? (apparently the answer is 'dead people, ghosts and a host of other issues that people who can't even bake cookies would need to to fix)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm I honestly cannot believe for one second that Dan and Phil of all people would invest time money and energy renovating a house to their own taste and then just sell it right away. There is no universe that is going to happen. Maybe, in a distant future they thought they might sell it again once the value is upped, but not right away just for them to what, go back renting? After buying and renovating a house?
I don’t think Phil would have had a genuine fear of being murder haunted over a house he didn’t plan on living in. In my opinion it’s obtuse to ignore context of how Dan and Phil choose to convey life information to us in favor of clinging to a narrow technicality but whatever makes people happy I guess. It’s just very amusing to see the exact same path some people took before the last move he clung to again.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

I really like that we learned that Phil has an absolutely horrible skincare routine, confirming that his skin is just naturally beautiful and radiant despite his best efforts to kill it