Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Also he apparently wrote a poem in three minutes and then read it out loud. That takes guts. Wow. edit: that takes guts for me because this sounds like my worse nightmare! I'm sure a lot of people do that often!
:gayaf:
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Hazel said in her recent story that they were all leaving the retreat today to go to London for pitches and interviews with BBC commissioners and BOY would I like to be a fly on the wall during those meetings.
starwatersong
phabergé

Happy 1 year! :cherryblossom:
fancybum
senpai

“Dan Howell’s left the room ‘cause I was filming”

And there it is.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Philena
blobfish

fancybum wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:54 pm “Dan Howell’s left the room ‘cause I was filming”

And there it is.
I almost gave her the benefit of the doubt yesterday, for like half a second. Why is she the way that she is?
ijustwantdeath
squish

Philena wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:57 pm
fancybum wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:54 pm “Dan Howell’s left the room ‘cause I was filming”

And there it is.
I almost gave her the benefit of the doubt yesterday, for like half a second. Why is she the way that she is?
Where is this from?
fun fun fun
Philena
blobfish

ijustwantdeath wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:34 pm
Philena wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:57 pm

And there it is.
Where is this from?
Sorry, didn't know how to link. Hazel's instastory from earlier. She was going around the room asking how everyone was, finishing with the above comment.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

I think it's mean. Her comment makes people freak out on twitter (i haven't seen anything but I can guess how/why people are freaking out about Dan not wanting to be filmed)
BUT WORSE : WHY WOULD YOU CALL HIM OUT LIKE THAT? I don't know if her comment was meant in a bitchy way but if Dan doesn't want to be filmed then he does not want to be filmed. It's as simple as that and if her comment was indeed meant to be bitchy then that's a really really shirt behaviour.
autumnhearth
senpai

The BBC pitches are super exciting!

ijustwantdeath Hazel posted a vlog in the form of a bunch of short Instagram stories. She was going around the kitchen table asking if everyone had a good time, when she got to the last people she added that on. Might be true, might not, bit of a jab, but probably in good fun? I dunno. Perhaps one of them (Dan) just didn’t want the phandom turning to her Instagram for Dan sightings. I don’t think that’s unfair or a big deal. Hazel often comes across as caustic to us, not really surprising.

Also something Hazel said earlier in the stories made me think Dan should try directing a music video in the future.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

from emmagannonuk's story
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Ugh Hazel. Take several seats and be quiet. :roll:

The comment itself might not even be that bad, but knowing how she and her friends have loved making shady comments at the expense of Deppy and the phandom in the past... yeah no thanks. Deppy largely checked out of the snake pit that is the UK YouTube community for a reason.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Catallena wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:11 pm Ugh Hazel. Take several seats and be quiet. :roll:
Yes please. Dan trended on tumblr last night and art of him on that couch was drawn all from that 1/2 second video of him she posted. I imagine that could feel overwhelming if you're not currently looking for attention. So maybe she should respect him not wanting to be filmed and not make a comment drawing attention to it? I see people saying things on twitter in response to her comment like "so he really hates us huh" which they are mainly jokes but still, she should know better.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I love seeing his smiling face in the picture. I hope had a good time.

Such a tol boy.
fancybum
senpai

I mean yeah she of all people should understand hating the phandom and allow Dan to do it in private as he clearly wants to do. But getting some extra eyeballs on her insta for one day so she can hawk her book that she hasn’t even finished writing yet takes precedence over professional courtesy I guess.
Grumpybisexual
delia smith
Pronouns: She/her

Why was my first reaction to this picture "wow? he's so? Tall???" :lol: it's not like we don't know that already but it always surprises me :lol:

I'm so happy he's stepping out of his comfort zone and doing things for himself and I can't wait to see what he's working on :happytears:

(but there's a tiny part of me that's worried he's gonna pull a Chris Colfer on us. Before deppy I was a hardcore Chris Colfer stan but after Glee ended he just retreated to his writing cave and he only ever comes out like once a year to promote his new books on talk shows.. please Dan, don't do that, let us see your face :sobs:)
Ataraxia25
flower crown

Grumpybisexual wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:52 pm (but there's a tiny part of me that's worried he's gonna pull a Chris Colfer on us. Before deppy I was a hardcore Chris Colfer stan but after Glee ended he just retreated to his writing cave and he only ever comes out like once a year to promote his new books on talk shows.. please Dan, don't do that, let us see your face :sobs:)
Maybe but - it's just my opinion - Chris' books are very good and very well-written, so I wouldn't be that bothered if Dan did that too.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:09 pm
Grumpybisexual wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:52 pm (but there's a tiny part of me that's worried he's gonna pull a Chris Colfer on us. Before deppy I was a hardcore Chris Colfer stan but after Glee ended he just retreated to his writing cave and he only ever comes out like once a year to promote his new books on talk shows.. please Dan, don't do that, let us see your face :sobs:)
Maybe but - it's just my opinion - Chris' books are very good and very well-written, so I wouldn't be that bothered if Dan did that too.
I get both sides of this, but I also think of Dan is doing something BBC-related with this specific division it probably isn't solely writing. My take on this is that TalentWorks (which works exclusively with digital content creators, so basically like: youtubers) are wanting to get the ball rolling on some original projects that they can use big names for, and this retreat was part trying to cultivate some talent and see what these people are capable of/encourage them and partly to kinda schmooze them and see who is open to working with them on something mutually beneficial. The fact that it ended with pitches is interesting to me, because I think it would be very possible for him to have wanted to do the retreat just for some career inspiration even if he had nothing specific to pitch. So I'm not really worried about Dan turning into a writer yet. They're still a fairly new division of BBC and probably still in the phase of needing to prove that it's worth it to even have that division - so if TalentWorks wants to use him, I think we'll see his face all over what they do.

I also think Phil not going to the retreat doesn't specifically mean Phil wouldn't be involved. I'm super interested to see what Dan would want to do by himself but I don't see TalentWorks turning down a Dan-and-Phil duo project just because Phil didn't show up. Alternatively, it's possible that even if Dan wanted to do something alone, they'd rather have the duo notoriety. It'll be fascinating to see what, if anything, comes from this.
Grumpybisexual
delia smith

Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:09 pm
Totally agree with that, I have a book shelf full of TLOS in various languages :lol: I obviously still love him but I miss his face and his singing! I would love Dan to write a book but I just hope he doesn't do *only* that!
alittledizzy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:15 pm I get both sides of this, but I also think of Dan is doing something BBC-related with this specific division it probably isn't solely writing. My take on this is that TalentWorks (which works exclusively with digital content creators, so basically like: youtubers) are wanting to get the ball rolling on some original projects that they can use big names for, and this retreat was part trying to cultivate some talent and see what these people are capable of/encourage them and partly to kinda schmooze them and see who is open to working with them on something mutually beneficial. The fact that it ended with pitches is interesting to me, because I think it would be very possible for him to have wanted to do the retreat just for some career inspiration even if he had nothing specific to pitch. So I'm not really worried about Dan turning into a writer yet. They're still a fairly new division of BBC and probably still in the phase of needing to prove that it's worth it to even have that division - so if TalentWorks wants to use him, I think we'll see his face all over what they do.

I also think Phil not going to the retreat doesn't specifically mean Phil wouldn't be involved. I'm super interested to see what Dan would want to do by himself but I don't see TalentWorks turning down a Dan-and-Phil duo project just because Phil didn't show up. Alternatively, it's possible that even if Dan wanted to do something alone, they'd rather have the duo notoriety. It'll be fascinating to see what, if anything, comes from this.
That's true! I immediately associated "writer's retreat" with "book" but it could also apply to scripting videos or writing screenplays. So many possibilities! :lol: but I guess we'll just have to wait and see :shrug:
Ugh I'd really love a vague liveshow ramble about whatever he's working on right now!
knq
lava lamp

“Dan Howell’s left the room ‘cause I was filming”

I might be tone deaf but that made me laugh.

Interesting that most of the people at the retreat didn't know each other beforehand, or at least Hazel didn't know them. Is Dan interacting with the same brown haired guy in the two (2) photos we've seen of him? Either way, it's nice to know he's socializing instead of isolating.

Personally I'd rather punch myself in the face than go stay in a house with a bunch of strangers and do improv and poetry recitals together. jfc

It seems like the event was targeted towards gathering influencers more than like, working together to produce something specific, though the part about pitches kind of goes against that. One of the 'BBC ladies' websites lists her services as "Building, activating and managing bespoke influencer communities for brands" and "Organising and hosting influencer events." Getting Dan to a social event like that? Talent.

I forget if we always knew BBC TalentWorks were the people who organized the Brazil trip for II, but they had an IG post about it back awhile ago that I just came across.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

knq wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:40 pm “Dan Howell’s left the room ‘cause I was filming”

I might be tone deaf but that made me laugh.

Interesting that most of the people at the retreat didn't know each other beforehand, or at least Hazel didn't know them. Is Dan interacting with the same brown haired guy in the two (2) photos we've seen of him? Either way, it's nice to know he's socializing instead of isolating.

Personally I'd rather punch myself in the face than go stay in a house with a bunch of strangers and do improv and poetry recitals together. jfc

It seems like the event was targeted towards gathering influencers more than like, working together to produce something specific, though the part about pitches kind of goes against that. One of the 'BBC ladies' websites lists her services as "Building, activating and managing bespoke influencer communities for brands" and "Organising and hosting influencer events." Getting Dan to a social event like that? Talent.

I forget if we always knew BBC TalentWorks were the people who organized the Brazil trip for II, but they had an IG post about it back awhile ago that I just came across.
Ooh, good catch! I already followed that account because I listened to all their podcasts a month ago, but I didn't even see the II post!

It also looks like Phil recently followed the bbcstudios twitter account, so the plot slightly thickens there? But Dan doesn't appear to follow them. I can't figure out how recent it was, I don't tend to keep a super close eye on his twitter follows. But it's his fifth most recent follow.
fancybum
senpai

Well my mind’s just going back to Phil talking about his marinating idea that could involve scripts and whatnot, which makes it kind of weird Phil didn’t also go to this thing. But I mean, fuck reading your own poetry in front of strangers, so it was probably a good call on his part. They basically share a consciousness so whatever Dan learned, Phil will absorb too.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Can only add that one of the other guys in Hazel’s pan around the table is Taha whose channel is KhanStopMe, though it’s been quiet for a while.

If Dan learns anything from Chris Colfer, not that that was the point, but this is my writing bugbear, it better be that interesting adjectives aren’t cute, but throw you out of a sentence and I’ll only make it to chapter one before giving up. Shame cos the story sounded really good, but don’t break flow with superfluous cleverness.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m not sure about any projects because it’s dan but he did just start following the Bbc writer room twitter account. Maybe he does have something in mind?
taco baco
dank meme

I don't think it's that weird for Phil not to go. He had a family vacation, it's a tradition and he seems like a traditional type of guy who likes to spend time with his family. As for the purpose of the retreat and what it could mean, I'm stumped on that one. New project probably, but I'm not sure if it involves just Dan or the two of them.
oi he's mine
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

And, :welcome: taco baco!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."