Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

moon-boye wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm is it irksome to anyone else how many of phil's vids this year just squeak by the 10-minute mark? i love that man with my whole heart but it honestly irritates me to see 10:23, 10:04, 10:14, 10:08, etc. (for a total of 7 times this year out of 11)

i know it's his job blah blah blah capitalism can go die in a hole
You're absolutely not alone!

I hesitated to comment on the new video, because my opinion differed from most people. I didn't love it and in part it's because of how the entire video was 10 full minutes of him..... reading one email. He was really dragging that shit out and reacting to a few words at a time when - in multiple moments - I really wanted him to just get on with it and read more???

And like obviously the email itself is worth a dedicated video and don't get me wrong, that shit was hilarious! But there were moments where it really felt like he was just trying to make it to 10 minutes. And like... you're right. When its every video, it's totally irksome. :lol:

Make that money, I guess. Gotta afford the fancy forever home~ Gotta post some filler videos while you move in~

I will say that it was nice to get a new video outta nowhere from Phil. I like seeing his face, regardless. And I love getting content. So I'll just lay that out there in defense of myself.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

rizzo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pmAnd like obviously the email itself is worth a dedicated video and don't get me wrong, that shit was hilarious! But there were moments where it really felt like he was just trying to make it to 10 minutes. And like... you're right. When its every video, it's totally irksome. :lol:

Make that money, I guess. Gotta afford the fancy forever home~ Gotta post some filler videos while you move in~
I actually wouldn't call this a filler video. To me, a filler video is something that was filmed in a super quick turnaround and is an obvious deviation from what normal content is just because a video had to be slapped up fast. But for Phil - telling a story about something weird that happened to him is exactly what his normal content is. And we know Cristine's video was posted on June 2 so that was four days before Phil's video was filmed. A three day turnaround seems pretty average for Phil with a video that doesn't require an abnormal amount of editing.

Do agree that they're moving though.
noodlebum
flower crown

itasca00 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:53 am [*][3:24] It sounds like Phil may have accidentally said “Harold’s” real name?
Nah, Hazza, like a nickname for Harold (e.g. Gary = Gazza) :D

This video was hilarious, the foreboding sinister music effects helped with the mood of the email contents. Poor Phil :lol:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

noodlebum Thanks for the clarification! I've never encountered this nicknaming scheme before. Which I guess isn't too surprising since Google seems to indicate that it's primarily used in England and Australia.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
waveydnp
drama llama

it’s not like phil’s videos are usually long though. there seems to be a wide range of times, but i’d say the average is about ten minutes. would we want him to have a longer video if all it meant was more filler? i’d rather him have a shorter video that felt genuine, like this one did. idk, i guess the idea that he’d make sure his video hit the ten minute mark isn’t irksome to me because, like... this is his job. of course he’s going to try to make money. i’d rather him do that then shove awkward spon into every. single. video.
moon-boye
smol bean

waveydnp wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:55 pm it’s not like phil’s videos are usually long though. there seems to be a wide range of times, but i’d say the average is about ten minutes. would we want him to have a longer video if all it meant was more filler? i’d rather him have a shorter video that felt genuine, like this one did. idk, i guess the idea that he’d make sure his video hit the ten minute mark isn’t irksome to me because, like... this is his job. of course he’s going to try to make money. i’d rather him do that then shove awkward spon into every. single. video.
i don't want him to make filler content at all; i liked this vid more than most this year and don't consider it as filler even. and actually i find 10-ish minutes to be perfectly between too-long and not-enough for me (for yt vids in general, not just phil). but the 10-min trend is definitely new in 2019 - previous to this it seems like a standard mix of shorter and longer (this seems like a great opportunity for a graph! :hmmm:) i guess it just gives me a weird vibe, and makes me think about whether or not he's struggling to push some of them over the line.
:rainbow: :cactus:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

What bothers me more than the 10 minute thing is that Phil's videos focus so much on things that happened over 10 years ago. This video, the quiz show one, the fizzy milk one...
Why does a decade have to pass before he feels safe talking about things? He's such an interesting person with an extremely interesting career yet he chooses to talk about (imo) the most boring things. Maybe cause the last 10 years were Dan and Phil and he's trying to avoid that at any cost?
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

LtrllySusan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:20 am What bothers me more than the 10 minute thing is that Phil's videos focus so much on things that happened over 10 years ago. This video, the quiz show one, the fizzy milk one...
Why does a decade have to pass before he feels safe talking about things? He's such an interesting person with an extremely interesting career yet he chooses to talk about (imo) the most boring things. Maybe cause the last 10 years were Dan and Phil and he's trying to avoid that at any cost?
+1 to this, I feel like he's milking his childhood/teenage life dry. There are so many openings like "most introverted thing you've done" for him to slip in some nice tour/radio/domestic stories, and I wish he would do that more.

That said, in this case it was by some stretch of imagination a business email, and I think he wanted to wait a safe amount of time before broadcasting and laughing at it.
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I agree it’s a shame to hear so much older stuff if there’s newer things he could talk about, but this email was hilarious. I was annoyed about the waste of milk in the soda stream one too, but that was still fun, it’s cute and not the most revolutionary content ever, but I’m glad to hear these old stories.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

poweroftriangles wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:48 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:20 am What bothers me more than the 10 minute thing is that Phil's videos focus so much on things that happened over 10 years ago. This video, the quiz show one, the fizzy milk one...
+1 to this, I feel like he's milking his childhood/teenage life dry. There are so many openings like "most introverted thing you've done" for him to slip in some nice tour/radio/domestic stories, and I wish he would do that more.

That said, in this case it was by some stretch of imagination a business email, and I think he wanted to wait a safe amount of time before broadcasting and laughing at it.
That's not new, though. Phil has done content like that for years. Things I thought were true that are not true, videos retelling first date/kiss stories, why I was a weird kid, the story about smoking, his video with his mom all about how he was as a kid, story about his first breakup, old chat logs, reacting to his childhood horror movie, reacting to old photos... and that's just me scrolling 2013-14. He's always been a nostalgic person who likes turning past pre-youtube stories into content. It's not some new plot twist just to avoid talking about Dan.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:30 pm He's always been a nostalgic person...
Yeah, I feel like creating content from his pre-youtube years is an authentic part of his branding.

Phil's love of nostalgia is one of my favorite things about him. I especially like it when during a video or liveshow he shares some random weird anecdote (the more bizarre the better) from his earlier years because he reminds me of Rose from the Golden Girls sharing her St. Olaf stories (and Dan with his reactions of "here we go again" and his disbelief, shock, fondness, etc. is the other Golden Girls all rolled into one).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The charity livestream for Dan's birthday is starting! There will be giveaways during the chat as we reach donation milestones (fan works and things that the Dan and Phil shop donated!) so PLEASE COME JOIN! We'll be going for a full 28 hours.
phillyforgot
butt chair

I'm pretty sure that Phil made a video where he read his childhood stories in 2008. I'm too tired to fact-check right now, but I'm pretty sure he did. Revisiting the past has always been an AmazingPhil thing. But I do feel like he's been milking his past a lot lately.
I enjoyed the video about the email and I felt genuinely entertained, but it would be nice to see him more authentic about the present. Maybe then we'd hear a bit more about Dan.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I am not sure how to link it here but Dan liked a tweet about
the young age of those arrested for the recent homophobic attack in a london bus and about how we need LGBTQ+ education in school
:gayaf:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I did a bit #spon for Phandom Gives in the comment section of today's video on the In Depth Bants channel as well. I linked to the Phandom Gives Tumblr for more info, hope that's fine.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Catallena wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:22 pm I did a bit #spon for Phandom Gives in the comment section of today's video on the In Depth Bants channel as well. I linked to the Phandom Gives Tumblr for more info, hope that's fine.
Awesome, yes!! We've already raised close to £200! Here's the link again for anyone that wants to check it out. Prizes include fanworks like fic and art donated from fandom creators, Dan and Phil shop gift cards, one of the "bumblebees are nice" mugs donated by IDB, a set of original Dan and Phil plushies, and a signed copy of DAPGO! You don't have to donate to be entered in fanworks raffles!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan and Phil may not be providing much content this weekend, but the 28 hour livestream is still going on! Click the link in the post above!
Grey
lady door

I wasn’t able to join the show but I did donate and I think it’s really cool that people put in the effort to make stuff like that happen. :love2: :sunshine:
I'm having a stress.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The livestream raised over £900 for Young Minds! Considering both PhandomWatch and PhandomGives spawned from this forum originally, I'm really proud of what the group of people that consider this one of their fandom places can do. :love1:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:09 am The livestream raised over £900 for Young Minds! Considering both PhandomWatch and PhandomGives spawned from this forum originally, I'm really proud of what the group of people that consider this one of their fandom places can do. :love1:
That's awesome! All you guys that organized and ran this thing rock!! And of course everyone who donated too
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:09 am The livestream raised over £900 for Young Minds! Considering both PhandomWatch and PhandomGives spawned from this forum originally, I'm really proud of what the group of people that consider this one of their fandom places can do. :love1:
Seconded :) And huge thanks to everyone who showed up and donated during the stream, and just kept it going so well, even in the slow hours. And everyone who has donated so far! You're all amazing <3
intoapuddle
spork

Yesss I'm so happy with the livestream! Considering everything (donation page not working, the state of the phandom recently) it was a huge success! I hope everyone remembers to keep donating until the 11th so that we reach the goal :D
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

HAPPY DAN DAY! :birthday: :babuse:

I hope our missing softie has a good day today :)

In the meantime, we're only £87 away from hitting our goal for Dan's birthday drive!!! I'm so proud of this phandom and what we're doing, hopefully Dan notices later today <3
Edit: I say that and about 10 mins later we reached the goal!
knq
lava lamp

It’s so lovely to see PhandomGives meet its goal! :sunshine:

I hope Dan has whatever kind of birthday appeals to him. They’ve been quiet and I like to think they’ve traveled somewhere nice or are just having pleasant lounging around time.
kavat
pastel persona

:happybirthday: Happy birthday Dan! And wow, such great job with Phandom Gives, it went up so much just this morning. It's great to see what this community can do! :birthday: