Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
whostolemyleftshoe
smol bean

000dia000 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:24 pm It's been interesting to read takes the last few days since the video, especially with seeing everything with a fresh pair of eyes. However, there are two kind of things I've observed, and I'm just wondering if everyone else feels the same way.

1. If you are going to agree with Alex's video that the phandom or even members of IDB are delusional/invasive I'd just like to remind you that you are STILL writing posts or lurking in forum dedicated to discussion and speculation. So think about that. For honesty, when I first watched Dan's video I felt a sense of guilt for being one to partake in discussion, no matter how harmless most of it can be. However, seeing the kind of video Alex made just pissed me off. Why? Just because you're speaking down on the "crazy shippers" (that's not even their entire audience) and assuming a sense of authority doesn't make you automatically correct. Alex still made a speculative video making commentary nobody really asked for, with little or no research or understanding of what they wrote. Frankly, if they made a post here or a thread on Twitter and if they were a normal fan account they'd be torn to shreds.

And then, on a separate discussion:
2. I'm just wondering, generally speaking, those that find the creation of art or reading of fanfiction kind of amoral now, did you draw this line before they came out or after? If they were heterosexual friends and had fanfiction written about them is it suddenly okay or is still bad to your eyes?

1. I think this Alex guy was way out of line and doesn't realize that he's painting a target on the backs of many of Dan's queer fans and I doubt that's what Dan wanted to come out of this video. I also don't like that he's on his high horse when he's the one who's profiting off a video essentially exploiting someone else's coming out.

2. I'm someone who used to constantly read phanfiction, but around 2 years ago I stopped. I was on the fence about whether they were actually together, but leaning towards no. Then they moved into their 3rd apartment and became increasingly openly affectionate and I started to strongly suspect that they actually were a couple. After that, reading fic just felt too invasive. I don't morally object to anyone reading/writing phanfic though, I just personally can't anymore.

I guess if they were just het bros and they didn't have a problem with it, I'd be ok with it but I probably wouldn't be interested in them anymore so it wouldn't matter. Lol.

Now as far as where I stand about the fact that I've been lurking on this forum for the past 3 years...I still haven't sorted that out. *goes back to lurking*
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i think Alex (who's someone that i watch) just felt like he resonated with Dan's video and got upset at what he saw on Twitter. to be fair, you can still be queer and fetishize other people for their sexuality. you can still be invasive and inappropriate toward other queer people, it doesn't give you a free pass. i do find that Alex's video had some flaws and he's making some generalizations, but he also mentioned it was a small portion of the phandom that are disrespectful. i kinda get where he's coming from, it's understandable as someone who's part of the community and not very loud about it to get defensive when seeing inappropriate comments on Twitter about another queer content creator. i think we should just move past it and forget what people outside think and just celebrate Dan's new chapter in life.
hell yea, im gay too! i love my boyfriend!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

This made me laugh
AmazingOCD
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

So I've watched the v day vid for the last time, I'm going to delete it off my laptop. I don't want to make the joke that it 'hits differently' as I've seen everyone else make online but I will say that it's absolutely beautiful watching it after Dan's video. I only hope to experience a love like theirs someday <3 :wahh:
It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness - Phil Lester
Midgetsass
first-time poster

:love2: Hi! I am usually just lurking here and reading all of your opinions but today I thought, why not?

Apart from agreeing with a lot of you and finding unnecessary to repeat some points about Dan's video and this past days, I want to know your predictions and opinions about vidcon?

I am very curious about that: will they book two rooms still or just one? Should we expect lots of thirsty Dan with other youtubers? Will they interact more with other youtubers at all?

From that one almost split from Louise vlog about the whole "why cant people vlog at youtube parties", I believe that they either stopped going to those but now there wouldn't be any excuse not to go (apart from them being themselves and prefering hanging out together apart entirely)

In general I am glad for the acceptance they've had within the community, which I wonder if they always knew or were as quietly curious as the rest of us, and I can't wait to see this year's vlogs and videos from vidcon. It will be a lot.
phanniemegan
tol bean

Can I just say..

The heartthrob video hits very differently now :love2:
Apple In My Pie
tol bean

ratlad wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:20 pm i think Alex (who's someone that i watch) just felt like he resonated with Dan's video and got upset at what he saw on Twitter. to be fair, you can still be queer and fetishize other people for their sexuality. you can still be invasive and inappropriate toward other queer people, it doesn't give you a free pass.
Yeah I think this is definitely an influential factor in why Alex made the video, it clearly resonated - but its really weird to have him say this because in a way it’s like, putting words into dan’s mouth and just jumping on something for the hell of it. Dan told us not to be invasive, Dan told us we can still write fic, Dan told us he wanted to keep some aspects private - we don’t need someone else to reiterate this when he doesn’t really know the ins/outs/relationship dan has with the phandom. Plus, I haven’t seen anyone being invasive - in fact I’ve seen more people shunning phan than being invasive. Hell when dan said ‘don’t be invasive’ I don’t really think he meant phan at all, I just think he doesn’t want the phandom to pry into their relationship and wants to keep it secret and personal and /theirs\. Not that he doesn’t want phan to stop being a thing.
knq
lava lamp

Something I'm curious about is how you all interpreted Dan talking about having time to fuck up however he wants in front of him. When Dan was talking about when he was ready to come out, he said this:
30:10 It's not perfect but it feels safe enough in this space right now for me to feel confident. So thank you sincerely to all the brave people that came before me and to any of you that made this world seem welcoming for me.

And instead of procrastinating from this by focusing on work, which was a way for me to insure my own independence and survival in case I was rejected, or just doing things for other people to take my mind off it instead of asserting my own needs, which my therapist keeps telling me is one of my biggest problems. Here I am with a fresh void of time in front of me to fuck up however I want.
Is the fresh void of time in front of him Hiatus 2.0, :gayaf: Version?
ijustwantdeath
squish

knq wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 pm Something I'm curious about is how you all interpreted Dan talking about having time to fuck up however he wants in front of him. When Dan was talking about when he was ready to come out, he said this:
30:10 It's not perfect but it feels safe enough in this space right now for me to feel confident. So thank you sincerely to all the brave people that came before me and to any of you that made this world seem welcoming for me.

And instead of procrastinating from this by focusing on work, which was a way for me to insure my own independence and survival in case I was rejected, or just doing things for other people to take my mind off it instead of asserting my own needs, which my therapist keeps telling me is one of my biggest problems. Here I am with a fresh void of time in front of me to fuck up however I want.
I think it might just be him exploring his creative side by trying new things on his channel that he's always wanted to try along with navigating a now very public queer relationship by testing out new boundaries. I'm curious to see if any of their on camera behaviour would significantly change after their coming out.

I doubt it's another hiatus tho, he's quite active on twitter.
fun fun fun
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Lol Joey is really out of things to tweet he has to take something I've seen several fans tweet over the last few days? The sentiment is still nice tho :pride:
ijustwantdeath
squish

Can we have a moment of silence for the fact that dan liked everyone's supportive tweet except for the one sent by James Charles? :daddy: :daddy: :daddy:
fun fun fun
eevee
emo goose

re: the hiatus 2.0 i really truly believe daniel is not going to go back on hiatus as he said in the description this is just the beginning. i think this is his coming back from hiatus for the foreseeable future. and i'm so excited!!!
obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:32 am Lol Joey is really out of things to tweet he has to take something I've seen several fans tweet over the last few days? The sentiment is still nice tho :pride:
I love that joey picked this up and loves it but i kinda wish he had just RTd the fan instead of stealing the tweet. Is joey graceffa above twitter etiquette? i would be honored if a youtuber stole my tweet tbh. but stealing tweets is still kinda shitty.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

ijustwantdeath wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:36 am Can we have a moment of silence for the fact that dan liked everyone's supportive tweet except for the one sent by James Charles? :daddy: :daddy: :daddy:
HA. HA. let me shake my head and laugh. Yes.

To continue with the discussion of RPF and shipping... as someone said earlier, no fandom, I repeat, NO FANDOM CAN LAST WITHOUT FANART AND FANFIC. So if you guys want the phandom to stick around for a while longer then by all means keep drawing and writing, no matter what other youtuber on the outside tells you.

(I say you guys bc tbh i don't feel like i belong here anymore. I've moved on to a casual fan. And that's okay.)

Those uncomfortable with fanworks, stay away. Don't interact. Not so difficult.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
hypothesised
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 am
:prideheart2: :prideheart2: :prideheart2:
Mitch from AsapSCIENCE commenting on this post does things to my heart... Now that I think about it, I'm expecting dnp's joint content to be like AsapSCIENCE's - their subscribers know they're in a relationship, but it's not made explicit in most videos. Then again, dnp's content couldn't be more different than Greg and Mitch's, considering subject matter and the fact that Dan and Phil are on camera together pretty much all the time.
Speaking of which, I'm reminded of this video:
Back to the point - like many people here, I'm back here after a long, long hiatus from the Phandom :happytears: I'd actually unsubscribed from Dan because I was certain we wouldn't get any more videos from him (the drought really got to me). A day after the video was released, I thought, "I wonder how the Try Guys are doing," watched Eugene's video, and my night routine was very rudely interrupted by a comment mentioning "danisnotonfire's coming out video". :o I couldn't be happier for him, though! He and Phil have been through so much over the years... It's only right for them to receive as much love and acceptance as we can offer.

Time for me to slink back into creeping on this forum.

Edit: Formatting. Also, I realised I'd set my pronouns as 'they/them' all those years ago - time to truly let it all sink in...
thank you for being brave
kavat
pastel persona

I'm really excited to see where they go with content after this. I expect there will be a short break to let the dust settle but then? Will Phil come back with a regular AP video, but even more pronounced dick jokes? Will dapg rise from the death? What will Dan do now that he's not hindered by this big thing in his life? The possibilities are endless.

By the way, I find it hilarious that Hank Green told Dan to vlog more in his tweet. Like he's saying "wow you should try to make videos sometime". Idk it's just funny to me.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

kavat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:34 am I'm really excited to see where they go with content after this. I expect there will be a short break to let the dust settle but then? Will Phil come back with a regular AP video, but even more pronounced dick jokes? Will dapg rise from the death? What will Dan do now that he's not hindered by this big thing in his life? The possibilities are endless.

By the way, I find it hilarious that Hank Green told Dan to vlog more in his tweet. Like he's saying "wow you should try to make videos sometime". Idk it's just funny to me.
I am also very excited to see where they go with those things! If I've learned anything over the last 5 years of being a fan of them and waiting for things~ to happen, it's that there's a 99% success rate in the things~ being wonderful and so, so nice.

And I also found Hank's tweet funny! intoapuddle and I were talking about this a few days ago, and Hank is just such a sweetheart with them, and it's really great (for Dan especially) to have someone like Hank, totally drama-free, a very important and influential (sorry Hank) part of that area of internet culture, and someone with a sort of authoritative voice in that respect from all that, have that kind of consistent pride toward them. I still think about what he wrote in his book for them every now and again, and it's just very heartwarming :love1:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Radical conceptussy–

A Day in the Life – London Pride Parade :wavingflag:
noodlebum
flower crown

ijustwantdeath wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 am
knq wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 pm Something I'm curious about is how you all interpreted Dan talking about having time to fuck up however he wants in front of him. When Dan was talking about when he was ready to come out, he said this:

I think it might just be him exploring his creative side by trying new things on his channel that he's always wanted to try along with navigating a now very public queer relationship by testing out new boundaries. I'm curious to see if any of their on camera behaviour would significantly change after their coming out.

I doubt it's another hiatus tho, he's quite active on twitter.
I agree, I can't imagine him going back in his cave now. I would think all this love and acceptance, especially from youtubers/creators he really admires, would invigorate and inspire him with future content. Perhaps taking part in things like podcasts, panels, collabs as well as his own channel.

Also that photo Joey tweeted is lovely (they so tol)

kavat wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:34 am I'm really excited to see where they go with content after this. I expect there will be a short break to let the dust settle but then? Will Phil come back with a regular AP video, but even more pronounced dick jokes? Will dapg rise from the death? What will Dan do now that he's not hindered by this big thing in his life? The possibilities are endless.
Yes! I'm really excited for the future for them both, professionally and personally :love2: ahhh
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Since some people have mentioned hank's tweet:
'be nice to your grandma' :lol: :lol: :lol: I love Hank. (I also still want to know what D&P think of Hank's book!! They never did talk about it, did they? Or did I just forget?)
LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:47 am Radical conceptussy–

I was going to say that seems unlikely, but then everything from the past couple of days seemed unlikely before. I'd love a video like this. I'd also cry the entire time watching it. :wavingflag:
firsttimeposter
living flop

Phil still hasn’t tweeted/ liked anything on twitter since dans video - I wonder how he’s feeling rn
kavat
pastel persona

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:47 am Radical conceptussy–

Jesus Christ on a bicycle, are you trying to ruin me :happytears:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Just dropping this here! I know some people used to skip our watch fests lately, but now that deppy are back, come join us and enjoy the happy :prideheart2: :prideheart2: :prideheart2:
philliebillie
dank meme

Hallo! First time poster here. I only just started watching DnP in January, so I missed ALL of the hype of tours ans books and games. Been entertaining myself with tons of DnP vids and lotsa lots of fanfiction though.

Just wanna say, I love love love Dan and I'm proud of what he did, he's very brave. I can't possibly articulate how brilliant I think he is.

Also, I don't know why but I'm missing Phil so much. I wish he'd upload something, a random, quirky video would be good.
-you can go swimming in those eyes-
sparkle
blobfish

I'm sort of hoping for a live show. I would absolutely DIE.

I wonder if they'll publish a video before vidcon. It would be intense if THIS was the last thing before vidcon?

In other news. I'm still ridiculously happy. I've watched this video about 10 times. I can't get over Dan looking into the camera and saying 'im gay'. I can't describe the feeling this video has given me. I'm so fucking happy for him.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

firsttimeposter wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am Phil still hasn’t tweeted/ liked anything on twitter since dans video - I wonder how he’s feeling rn
I really get the impression he's just giving Dan time to shine. I imagine today or very soon he'll go back to normal social media usage but we had almost six months of mostly-just-Phil so he's probably keen to let Dan bask in the sense of being active and getting heaps of love and praise and attention for this.

They probably also both know the fandom will lose their shit the next time they interact, but oh god am I ready for it and feeling the impatience.