Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Cricket
tol bean

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm
hownottodrive wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:25 pm
hello9217 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:09 pm Idk it must be hard to try and figure out where they go from here. I mean their out now. Before, the ambiguity shielded them, are they together or aren’t they. Now we know, despite some people still thinking they are not, like how is it possible but sure. How do they do stuff together if they don’t want to capitalize on their relationship? Selling joint merch/ doing a video together would be making money off of it. I don’t really see how it’s much different than before but I could see how others might perceive it that way.
I think the difference in before and after is a matter of perception for them and that probably does feel very different. The perception - obviously, not the reality, just the perception - was that Dan and Phil were thought to be together by 13 year old girls on the internet. Dan and Phil had a certain amount of shielding from scrutiny just based on the fact that people think anything young girls like must be untrue or wrong.

Now the relationship is a matter of fact and when they step in front of a camera it's going to be knowing that everyone Knows. I agree a lot with hello9217. I think lack of joint content right now isn't some grand statement about the future but just them very carefully navigating how they handle them together, and that when they feel like they've had a few minutes to breathe from how emotionally draining the coming out process probably was (because even happy things can be draining) they'll start re-introducing the joint content until we're back at a level that's normal.

(And I feel like I should add that I'm not counting last year as normal. For the duration of their career, Dan only appearing on Phil's channel was not standard; I'm considering 2017 and beforehand as normal - Dan and Phil as individual creators who put out individual content while also doing projects and working together.)
+1^^^^

As much as we’ve all been talking/joking about ‘hits different’ I think we need to remember that this is a massive change for them and even though it’s 10000% a net good there’s got to be some complicated feelings and confusing navigating going on for them now that they know it’s not just those of us who have been paying attention and some to the right conclusions that know they’re together, it’s their entire audience and we all know for sure and we all know they know we know etc etc. I would imagine that it would feel different for them to decide to put out joint merch knowing that truly everyone knows that they are two people in a relationship putting out joint merch and not just creative partners putting out joint merch even though the reality of the situation isn’t really different.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Hm. Dan said "(...) the gaming channel me and Phil had."

Past tense huh? Rip in pieces.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
PolarFox
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

yo i really like dan’s new merch, vaporwave is my jam ;_; and i wear a lot of black. it just also happens that i’m from a country where £40 is a lot of money and justifying getting a hoodie at that price point is... well. maybe one day i’ll get it
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I know the word "had" is all anyone is gonna wanna focus on, but Dan's answer to that question was lovely and I also appreciate that he tied it in with his coming out video.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I only just tuned in, what context was that dapg answer in?
Either way, fuck, that makes me sad...
hintatty
drama llama

I'd be reaaaally surprised if they stopped DAPG. I think his answer was more about what he said at the time - taking a pause to figure a bunch of other stuff out. It's difficult to make/drop something like BIG all the while making casual gaming videos and being silly with the person you're about to openly acknowledge has been a significant person in your life.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 pm I only just tuned in, what context was that dapg answer in?
He was talking about frequency of uploading and said "the gaming channel me and Phil had" - tbh I'm just gonna chill on denial river. Dan misspeaks all the time. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't? But I'm too tired and enjoying hearing Dan too much to want to catastrophize it.
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 pm
Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 pm I only just tuned in, what context was that dapg answer in?
He was talking about frequency of uploading and said "the gaming channel me and Phil had" - tbh I'm just gonna chill on denial river. Dan misspeaks all the time. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't? But I'm too tired and enjoying hearing Dan too much to want to catastrophize it.
Thanks! I don't know what to think of it, but I do believe they'll bring back gaming in some shape or form. I'm sure Dab and Evan wedding is gonna happen now.
hello9217
flower crown

Oh great another thing being said in past tense leading to people thinking the worst- I guess this is the new norm in the fandom
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Usually when Dan has a word flub it's because he's tired or not in the zone, but he definitely is now which really makes me think that talking about DAPG in past tense wasn't a mistake. :(
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ablissa
pastel persona

hello9217 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 pm Oh great another thing being said in past tense leading to people thinking the worst- I guess this is the new norm in the fandom
I'm really not thinking the worst. I do think they'll bring back a joint channel, maybe not solely focused on gaming, but something. It'd just be nice to hear something reassuring instead haha

edit - when Dan spoke about his family having no money I really felt for him, he's had so much pressure on him in these early years.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

If the gaming channel is gone, which I’m going with because the disappointment will be less, then I wish they would have had the courtesy to let us know without it being discussed in a panel.
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I’m kinda half listening so I might have heard this wrong but did he say his family has no money in present tense?
Also the last gaming video strongly implies that its not over and I don’t see what could’ve changed but who knows, I just hope there’s clear communication about it to come.
hintatty
drama llama

Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 pm
hello9217 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 pm Oh great another thing being said in past tense leading to people thinking the worst- I guess this is the new norm in the fandom
I'm really not thinking the worst. I do think they'll bring back a joint channel, maybe not solely focused on gaming, but something. It'd just be nice to hear something reassuring instead haha

edit - when Dan spoke about his family having no money I really felt for him, he's had so much pressure on him in these early years.
on the topic of Dan's family, I've noticed he's only ever talked about his father in the past tense (in recent years, anyway). do we know if he's still alive? certainly in BIG he only used past tense to describe his father, and when talking about the replies he got from his email said "my remaining family". just kind of tweaked that as weird.
emoji_pajamas
tol bean

In the case they do end their gaming content, I'm curious to see what could come next but damn if I don't enjoy their rapport and energy when gaming together.

I could totally see younger deppy sneakily getting married in Vegas but they're Big Boys with taste now so I honestly can imagine something lowkey but classy af (space theme? S P A C E T H E M E)

speaking of, does anyone know where to find their vidcon panels? I've never really watched them right as they'd happened
Ablissa
pastel persona

aliceness wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:18 pm
on the topic of Dan's family, I've noticed he's only ever talked about his father in the past tense (in recent years, anyway). do we know if he's still alive? certainly in BIG he only used past tense to describe his father, and when talking about the replies he got from his email said "my remaining family". just kind of tweaked that as weird.
He's definitely alive, Dan talked about visiting him this year for his birthday I think. Or getting him a present. I'm not sure if they still keep in touch much though, especially after Dan's coming out.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Maybe it’s denial, but that's just preposterous to me to abandon that channel... from a purely business related aspect it’s literally EASY money left on the table. Like Dizzy said, I still think it’s more likely that they’re just being trepidatious with their joint branding so it doesn’t feel like they are cashing in on the Phan as a couple aspect. And honestly, it’s serves as a creative break... let some new games come out and think of new series ideas instead of just jumping on board with whatever’s popular.

Now, alternatively if they are truly just sick of the gaming aspect for content, then I wouldn’t rule out rebranding into another type of joint channel... DanAndPhilChats or DanAndPhilColabs for example, but to cast the channel aside entirely just doesn’t make a lick of sense.
fairylights
crusty sponge

i thought that maybe dan saying they ‘had’ the gaming channel, may have been a bit for the sake of explaining it for the panel? maybe not, but potentially.
philscereal
not a first-time poster

What happened between Dan and Phil and Pewdiepie? I always thought it was a little odd that they were friends, mainly because of Felix's scandals and how he would talk about D&P on his channel was strange for them being IRL friends.

I also think that giving up the gaming channel and joint content would be a really bad business and financial decision. I really hope they aren't. I think the majority of people don't necessarily like joint content because they think D&P are in a romantic/sexual relationship, but because they have such a good friendship and comradery that most people would love to have with someone, whether that be with a romantic partner or not. I hope that this break of joint content is just for them to secure their own personal brands and test the waters, which makes sense.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Ok. Shut up. Cute!
GalaxyDarling
Pronouns: he/him

Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:22 pm He's definitely alive, Dan talked about visiting him this year for his birthday I think. Or getting him a present. I'm not sure if they still keep in touch much though, especially after Dan's coming out.
Whose text was it on the screen when Dan showed the reaction to his coming out by the quote "remaining family"? One text said "mum" but was the other one dad?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Last call for thread names, I'll be making the poll in a few minutes!
GalaxyDarling
Pronouns: he/him

So handsome.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

GalaxyDarling wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 pm
Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:22 pm He's definitely alive, Dan talked about visiting him this year for his birthday I think. Or getting him a present. I'm not sure if they still keep in touch much though, especially after Dan's coming out.
Whose text was it on the screen when Dan showed the reaction to his coming out by the quote "remaining family"? One text said "mum" but was the other one dad?
his mom, grandma, and my guess is the third was his brother
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That was interesting about the feeling of putting some of himself into every video, I’m not sure if he meant it was due to how often they were uploading and he needed time to breathe and think about some things, or if he feels he puts some of himself into the world and loses it a bit, or if it’s a snapshot of himself captured in time that’s then set like that forever.

Thankfully he spoke really clearly cos I had trouble hearing all the others, but Dan was fine. If that was our official update on the gaming channel, though, then once again I’d love a word with Mr Howell and Mr Lester, but have to end up rolling my eyes and moving on cos do they even see anything we might tweet them let alone want to change their approach. It could just be what he said in that moment and means nothing. I think I’ve been in a minority that hasn’t been expecting the channel to return, but I do think they should talk to us. We’ve all understood why Dan took a year between solo uploads and six months almost entirely off, but we’ve been holding out for VidCon and after it to see what’s what, and if they don’t care to tell us things, it feels pretty distant. Without liveshows, their videos even recently have felt a bit far between to me, but then all the ig stories happen etc so things get busy, but still they’re not talking to us in the same way.

I don’t suppose there’s a way to archive a live ig stream? I can’t see it on their page anymore at all. VidCon used to upload the panels, but it was a while afterwards.

I’m pretty sure Dan’s dad was in one of Adrian’s ig photos a few months ago, running somewhere looking totally alive.