Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
DnP1991
tol bean

knq wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:00 am I’m curious of those who watched the mental health panel, did you learn anything new about Dan’s experiences? I’ve really only seen people discussing the gaming channel.

I may not end up watching it because those sort of interview/panel situations always trigger my second hand social anxiety really bad. I did see Dan sitting with his feet folded up under him though. Baby <3
He mentioned how online friends are real friends. This was in the context of them talking anout reaching out to others when you're having a hard time. He mentioned he was friends with a girl online as a teen and how it really helped him.

He also mentioned really how poor his family is (was?). Sometimes Dan seems to talk in both past and present (especially lately). I gathered over time he had it really rough, but he also mentioned fears that if he somehow messed up his career, he'd have nothing because his family has no money. He said he'd be by himself or something similar. (I was there in person and wasn't sure if it was past or present, or both or what). I don't think I've heard him speak on that specific fear before.

This fandom is so dramatic sometimes. It wasn't just online that people were talking about "had". The moment he said it a young girl in my row repeated "had??" In this confused tone and a bunch of heads turned towards her to give her a look.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I hope the "paint your nails" thing doesn't come back it was so annoying, boys have been painting their nails since at least the 70's it's not a big deal.

If Dan or Phil want to wear nail polish or makeup let them do it because they want to, not because people nag them in to doing it like Dan painting his nails the first time. There's a ton of guys on YouTube who do amazing nails and makeup content support them instead.
noodlebum
flower crown

Phanshy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm I hope the "paint your nails" thing doesn't come back it was so annoying, boys have been painting their nails since at least the 70's it's not a big deal.

If Dan or Phil want to wear nail polish or makeup let them do it because they want to, not because people nag them in to doing it like Dan painting his nails the first time. There's a ton of guys on YouTube who do amazing nails and makeup content support them instead.
Agreed! Fuck stereotypes :wavingflag:
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

What party is this? I guess it's a vidcon thing? Have they been spotted in any creator vlogs/snapchat/instagram/whatever? Aah, it's been so long since we had to look out for other youtubers and their creepshots :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm What party is this? I guess it's a vidcon thing?
I'm guessing the same party Safiya and Cristine etc were at? Which makes sense to me. As much as I want them to have been legit hanging out that group photo looks like it happened in a hotel parking lot, so they might have just all been heading over at the same time and gotten to say hi and chat. (As long as they could chat about setting up a real hang out time or a collab, I'm happy.)

Also, that person has 3.1 million subscribers. Damn, the power of Dan and Phil. She also tweeted this.
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:47 pm I'm guessing the same party Safiya and Cristine etc were at? Which makes sense to me. As much as I want them to have been legit hanging out that group photo looks like it happened in a hotel parking lot, so they might have just all been heading over at the same time and gotten to say hi and chat. (As long as they could chat about setting up a real hang out time or a collab, I'm happy.)

Also, that person has 3.1 million subscribers. Damn, the power of Dan and Phil.
Yeah, I was also under the impression that the photo was a random "we ran into each other and had a chat" thing. But I do hope we will get a collab. It would be aaaamazing. Also, what, I didn't even notice that person was popular. Wow, I guess even for other youtubers D&P are a big deal.

Speaking of collabs - I really think that while they might film some, none of them will see the light of day before the first joint Dan and Phil video drops. They know their audience and the meltdown that would ensue if they went to work with other youtubers first before each other.

Lastly, adding some (hilarious) cuteness to this mess of a post - Martyn crawling out of the merch stand to take a photo with a fan. :lol:
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

If anyone is interested, I saw that aphanofdan on ig is gonna be streaming Phil’s q and a
stufflizloves
living flop

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:47 pm
Ablissa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm What party is this? I guess it's a vidcon thing?
I'm guessing the same party Safiya and Cristine etc were at? Which makes sense to me. As much as I want them to have been legit hanging out that group photo looks like it happened in a hotel parking lot, so they might have just all been heading over at the same time and gotten to say hi and chat. (As long as they could chat about setting up a real hang out time or a collab, I'm happy.)

Also, that person has 3.1 million subscribers. Damn, the power of Dan and Phil. She also tweeted this.
Cringing a little bit at an underage girl sharing with her (presumably younger?) followers how drunk she is while at an industry party..but then, I don't know her from Adam so maybe that's just how she is...perhaps that makes me a stiff. :shrug:

edit: oops, let me get off of my high horse. looks like shes british? so not underage (tho I think technically you are supposed to abide by the legal limits of the country you're in...i dunno. DONT MIND ME.)
Last edited by stufflizloves on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

blahblahblah8 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:08 pm If anyone is interested, I saw that aphanofdan on ig is gonna be streaming Phil’s q and a
Yesss!! Just came here to share that!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m bringing back an old topic but I’m confused about truth bombs. Big potato and Phil tweeted about the repackaging but the pictures on BP’s Instagram and the copies I’ve recently seen in store still have their names on it. I wonder when the new packaging goes into effect
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

After seeing a bunch of VidCon photos, I have come to the sad conclusion that Phil has managed to lego-fy the quiff.
I think the first iteration of the quiff looked much more flattering (I'm not a Phillie but he looked SO good in the Cards against Humanity video).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LtrllySusan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm After seeing a bunch of VidCon photos, I have come to the sad conclusion that Phil has managed to lego-fy the quiff.
I think the first iteration of the quiff looked much more flattering (I'm not a Phillie but he looked SO good in the Cards against Humanity video).
I feel like that's a symptom of a fresh haircut - which in Phil's case I kinda hate. I enjoy the quiff a lot when it's grown out a bit.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Omg they DID go out to dinner with them!! Okay I'm glad I had lowered expectations because now I get to be EXCITED AS FUCK.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

group dinner with my faves i would love to be a fly on that wall, glad they're all getting to know each other!
(seriously though I love this kind of vidcon friend group more than dnp's old one... so many awkward vlogs...)
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I like this too. First dinner with John and now with Safiya, Tyler, and Christine - definitely a much different vidcon then I had imagined
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Cristine usually uploads a vlog after her trips so we can look forward to that!
JLynne
drama llama

Safiya/Tyler and Cristine seem like natural choices for Dan and Phil's (seemingly) very selective set of friends: chill, grown ass adults with no drama seem to be their biggest criteria.
(also, I'd say Saf and Cristine are two of the very few Youtubers with healthy, non-cringy on-screen relationships. I love seeing Ben pop up in Cristine's videos for a dry quip or two, and Tyler seems super respectful of making sure Saf is front and center in all her videos, despite him being a major part of the channel.)
ravenreyes
sofa crease

i'm even more excited about them meeting up with safiya, tyler and cristine now that i know they went out to dinner and everything. they're some of the few youtubers i still watch tbh, so it's always nice to see people i like interact. + all of them seem pretty chill and more grown up.
i would love a collab or something but i'm not even going to hope lmao bc of the whole no idea what to expect anymore.

they're doing a joint m&g tomorrow right? it's been so long it's almost going to be weird seeing them together again lmao. :rainbowtears:

btw, does anyone know if there's some sort of transcript or collection of dan's quotes or something from the mental health panel? i have a really hard time watching things with an audience lol

also lmao the title, instagram was a lot yesterday
edit: and of course i happen to be really busy for the first time in months just when they're out and doing things
english is not my first language
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

ravenreyes wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 pm i'm even more excited about them meeting up with safiya, tyler and cristine now that i know they went out to dinner and everything. they're some of the few youtubers i still watch tbh, so it's always nice to see people i like interact. + all of them seem pretty chill and more grown up.
i would love a collab or something but i'm not even going to hope lmao bc of the whole no idea what to expect anymore.

they're doing a joint m&g tomorrow right? it's been so long it's almost going to be weird seeing them together again lmao. :rainbowtears:

btw, does anyone know if there's some sort of transcript or collection of dan's quotes or something from the mental health panel? i have a really hard time watching things with an audience lol

also lmao the title, instagram was a lot yesterday
edit: and of course i happen to be really busy for the first time in months just when they're out and doing things
It'll take me a little bit but if no one else does it I'll absolutely do that for you! I definitely get the audience thing; I was concerned about the screaming when recording lol.

And I'll be recording Phil's Q&A in the same way I did Dan's! So look out for that on the idb youtube channel sometime soon after! :D

I'm interested to see Phil try his best to not answer any actual questions.
autumnhearth
senpai

Cool Phil, just your booth. I’m one who doesn’t fret about the singular but :sideeye:
Phantasy
woodland creature

Re: at Dan mentioning that his parents was/are poor (and not for the first time)... I gather from the context he’s just making a (exaggerated) point that if his career failed he wouldn’t have the safety net of relying on his (rich) parents? A bit of an odd statement for a 28yo to make whose been self sufficient since 18 and is a millionaire—like he’s going to ask for a loan or crash in his parents basement if he stops making videos...?

And no idea about his parents real financial situation, maybe they struggled with money (pretty typical for most to some extent), or are in a lower tier of middle class, but to describe them as poor seems out of touch... poor compared to what... London millionaires? They vacationed regularly, had a nice modest home which they still have (Adrian’s vlogs confirms that), and what did he have like 6 guitar hero controllers in AmazingDan?? I know poor is a relative term, but c’mon... either they have a money problem (that maybe Dan shouldn’t be broadcasting), he’s out of touch, or is exaggerating for effect (bullshitting).
:shrug:
George
sad dimple

i just watched the mental health panel, and I'm surprised how much I got out it. I was supposed to just quickly check it out, but I ended up watching it all. Especially the first 30 minutes were great. I liked seeing how Dan was nodding to what the other creators were saying, I can imagine he could relate very well to some of the issues mentioned - suddenly having all eyes on you while you're still dealing with the same untreated issues as before, not being able to be yourself on your channel and how sharing your story actually allows you to process it better. I'm assuming that last one is something he's currently going through, and hopefully this new more open era helps him coming even better terms with himself.

Apparently he watched a lot coming out videos while making his own, and hearing him saying he was scared to make it too sad was hard to hear. That video is already really sad as it is, but I got the impression he didn't really delve as deep into the worst parts as he could have. It also caught my ear how Dan bunched "mental health, sexuality and personal relationships" all together as things to he hadn't really talked about. Mental health and sexuality are now somewhat checked, and I was left wondering if by personal relationship he was specifically referring to his relationship with Phil. As it is, that's really the the only elephant left in the closet (and by that mean it's something he isn't even casually mentioning). Then on the other hand, he mentioned keeping personal things private, so maybe that's where it stays.

I don't really know what to make out of the gaming channel comment. It actually sounded worse to me than I assumed based on people's reaction here. What I got out of it was that Dan wanted to be more authentic even on dapg, but that doesn't really make sense to me, because I feel like so far that's where he has been the most authentic version of himself. Maybe he doesn't feel like his constant yelling is the version of himself he wants to put out there? Idk. And can this mean the gaming channel is going to get even gayer (how?)or not be there at all?

My personal highlight of this whole thing was Dan saying in a high pitched voice how some people are like "I really like you but I also need content". Not only I felt 100% roasted, but I had to rewatch that like 5 times because the way he said it was so funny,
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

Phantasy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 pm Re: at Dan mentioning that his parents was/are poor (and not for the first time)... I gather from the context he just making a (exaggerated) point that if his career failed he wouldn’t have the safety net of relying on his parents? A bit of an odd statement for a 28yo to make whose been self sufficient since 18 and is a millionaire—like he’s going to ask for a loan or crash in his parents basement if he stops making videos.

And no idea about his parents financial situation, maybe they struggled with money, or are in a lower tier of middle class, but to describe them as poor seems out of touch... poor compared to what... London millionaires? They vacationed regularly, had a nice modest home which they still have (Adrian’s vlogs confirms that), and what did he have like 6 guitar hero controllers in AmazingDan?? I know poor is a relative term, but c’mon... either they have a money problem (that maybe Dan shouldn’t be broadcasting), he’s out of touch, or is exaggerating for effect (bullshitting).
:shrug:
I'm from close to Reading and feel the need to defend that it's an expensive place to live. The average house price is £450k (double the UK average) whereas the average salary is ~£30k (a little under the UK average). My mum struggled to feed me and my siblings at times when I was a kid but from an outsider we would have still looked like a comfortably middle class family.

(Also, his family could have struggled when he was younger but be stable now.)
Last edited by mathsniel on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

George wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:45 pm don't really know what to make out of the gaming channel comment. It actually sounded worse to me than I assumed based on people's reaction here. What I got out of it was that Dan wanted to be more authentic even on dapg, but that doesn't really make sense to me, because I feel like so far that's where he has been the most authentic version of himself. Maybe he doesn't feel like his constant yelling is the version of himself he wants to put out there? Idk. And can this mean the gaming channel is going to get even gayer (how?)or not be there at all?
I took that as Dan explaining why the channel stopped last year, not a commentary on anything going forward. He was talking about his "break" (in quotes because he did air quotes) overall and the reasons for it; he needed that time for personal growth. I think we see the culmination of that personal growth in Basically I'm Gay, which to me seems like he's just setting a clean slate going forward. He has resolved the reason that he put the gaming channel on break.

I don't know that they're going to go back to doing a gaming video every week, simply because views were declining before they went on hiatus and gaming channels over all are kind of out now. But I do still fully believe joint content will come back and I think they'll use DAPG for joint content and I'm fully hyped for it.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Dan retweeted his own merch tweet and I think he doesn't often do that? I wonder if the sales are worse than expected.

If they are, I wouldn't be surprised. One, they just had two merch drops so many people are broke + the shipping fees are a killer. Two, as much as I love Dan, this merch doesn't seem to be the most popular. I hope he doesn't take it personally and instead just considers a design change.