Dan & Phil Part 89: So what now?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Moderator Note: Thanks Button Activated!

For this thread, we are activating the forum's Thanks Button for a trail run. Give it a try, and continue to give us any thoughts and feedback either in the Thanks Button thread or privately to any mod.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

From our previous thread:
Ablissa wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:23 pm So this is a thing?? Apparently they did do these separately. I don't mind, I already felt prepared for that.
Amiaw wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:11 pm
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
jesp
why bother

I hope everyone enjoys the thanks button! Going to cover a few points again so that everyone is aware.

The thanks button isn't available in global announcements {the posts that show at the top of every forum} and in the Dan and Phil FAQ. This setting may be adjusted in the future. If you don't see the thanks button on other parts of the site please let me know.

We may disable the button if there are compatibility issues or if it leads to a negative environment.

All thanks that had been given to posts from the initial test in About This Forum have been reset.

The thanks displayed as usernames on a post has been set to 10 but this can be adjusted if needed. There's no thanks received/thanks given counter on profiles.

There's no end date to the site-wide trial, but we'll ask for your thoughts at a later date.

If you have any questions or concerns please send them to me or another mod. If you notice any issues with the thanks button please send me a message with the details.

Once again, enjoy!
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Amiaw wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:11 pm
new amazingphil video 'soon'... towards the middle/end of next week maybe? also, i wonder what the chances are of dan appearing in an ap vid before he makes another dinof (well, technically a dh)? i'm not expecting dan to upload anything to his channel for at least another month and who knows when dapg will be resurrected, but now that he's out and he's made his big comeback, maybe we could get a cameo? is this just wishful thinking? probably

not sure i'm sold on the moving theory yet but they must have come home early for something...
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
Amiaw
interactive introvert

“Soon” is pretty vague considering he hasn’t picked an idea or filmed it yet. Idk if moving is happening now but Phil could probably buy himself another week or two before a video needs to be filmed. I’m just missing liveshows and general life updates so much right now because they’ve been back since last Sunday and we have absolutely no clue what they’ve been up to
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Hopefully Keelin doesn't mind me dropping this in here, but I love this psychanalyzing of Dan and Phil based on the patronus videos.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I forgot to announce the first one, but the second Phandom Watch is about to start! Hop in for some fetus Deppy!
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

jesp, your current rank just sent me. I had to log on just to say that, oh my god.
cheekyc
squish

Ablissa wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:03 pm I forgot to announce the first one, but the second Phandom Watch is about to start! Hop in for some fetus Deppy!
I’m so bummed to be missing this one! 2009/10 era Deppy is so cute!
:ribena: it’s the internet support group :ribena:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

cheekyc wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:28 pm
Ablissa wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:03 pm I forgot to announce the first one, but the second Phandom Watch is about to start! Hop in for some fetus Deppy!
I’m so bummed to be missing this one! 2009/10 era Deppy is so cute!
We have another one starting at midnight UTC (so in just over 3 hours) if you're able to jump into that! :D

When we get closer to the time I'll post another spon :)
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella
Pronouns: She/her

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster!
Everyone moved on from the VidconNow video quickly... I'm still completely thrown by how different Phil comes across when not edited by himself!
His lighting set up makes him so much paler than he is and we have been blessed with a brand new camera angle and close ups!
So much of the "Amazingphil humour" is in the editing and jump cuts...ieven in dnpg videos, Dan edits Phil's humour in too. It's so interesting to see how he is without it it feels much more personal and the "real" Phil... If that makes sense? Kinda in a similar vibe to the mukbang which was edited less.
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Tornbetweenfandoms wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 pm Hi, long time lurker, first time poster!
Everyone moved on from the VidconNow video quickly... I'm still completely thrown by how different Phil comes across when not edited by himself!
His lighting set up makes him so much paler than he is and we have been blessed with a brand new camera angle and close ups!
So much of the "Amazingphil humour" is in the editing and jump cuts...ieven in dnpg videos, Dan edits Phil's humour in too. It's so interesting to see how he is without it it feels much more personal and the "real" Phil... If that makes sense? Kinda in a similar vibe to the mukbang which was edited less.
I definitely agree with this. I think he also is noticeably more nervous without Dan, which I get but at the same time it leaves it feeling like a weird place between more personal but also in a way less Phil? Obviously both are still aspects of Phil, but I think when we're just observing his dynamic with Dan we get a more comfortable version of himself. This definitely felt very projected at the audience and like he was answering quite carefully, the same as he did in the stage q&a. He's more on guard when he's solo.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I think that touches on one of the things I miss most about joint content, of any type - they just always look like they’re having more fun. I really miss seeing/hearing them laugh properly. I do believe Phil has a lot of fun making his vids, and they’re really funny, but it’s a different thing. And as you say, they do seem more relaxed when they record together.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
knq
lava lamp

I’ve underappreciated the shot in that Vidcon video! The distance between Phil and the camera is superb, the lack of bright white wall stunning. And actually being able to see his facial features was truly revolutionary.

I’ve noticed with quite a few DAPG videos how high up the camera is in relation to Dan and Phil. It’s interesting in their livestreams when Dan goes to give the camera a look, he accidentally does it to their filming camera several times, which is above the livestream webcam, and you can really tell how much they’re actually looking up when they usually look at the camera.

I think Phil speaks well on his own, I just think there’s no opportunity for banter so it’s not as fun to watch. Also, when Dan isn’t there to ‘scold’ him or react to what Phil’s saying, Phil ends up quickly responding to his own weirdness—like with the comment about new cells followed by ‘that was weird.’ He seems to do that a lot and it feels awkward to me.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm kinda obsessed with the lighting in the Vidcon Now video. I have been whining about the way Phil's usual lighting makes him blend in with the walls for so long that, while I'm not feeling any type of way about the video itself tbh, it still managed to be real treat to watch. I wish Phil would start realizing how good he looks in more natural light.

I have a feeling that their 3 week (+1 day) streak of posting instatories is ending today. Too bad, hopefully a day won't turn into weeks like earlier this year.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:12 pm
Tornbetweenfandoms wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 pm Hi, long time lurker, first time poster!
I definitely agree with this. I think he also is noticeably more nervous without Dan, which I get but at the same time it leaves it feeling like a weird place between more personal but also in a way less Phil? Obviously both are still aspects of Phil, but I think when we're just observing his dynamic with Dan we get a more comfortable version of himself. This definitely felt very projected at the audience and like he was answering quite carefully, the same as he did in the stage q&a. He's more on guard when he's solo.
These perspectives are so interesting! I’m glad this topic has been brought up because this was something that I definitely noticed too. I agree that Phil’s vibe is the same in this video as it was during his Q&A and that the vibe is different from his other videos, with or without Dan. However, I don’t get a guarded or nervous vibe from him at all! I get more of a “he’s saying whatever pops into his head without much of a filter” vibe. Also, Phil comes across as energetic, but he doesn’t come across as having any kind of nervous energy to me. Like Tornbetweenfandoms said, he seems more natural to me, and I really liked that!
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

itasca00 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:12 pm
These perspectives are so interesting! I’m glad this topic has been brought up because this was something that I definitely noticed too. I agree that Phil’s vibe is the same in this video as it was during his Q&A and that the vibe is different from his other videos, with or without Dan. However, I don’t get a guarded or nervous vibe from him at all! I get more of a “he’s saying whatever pops into his head without much of a filter” vibe. Also, Phil comes across as energetic, but he doesn’t come across as having any kind of nervous energy to me. Like Tornbetweenfandoms said, he seems more natural to me, and I really liked that!
I think what strikes me as more on guard is what knq said, actually - it's that Phil kind of sets himself up for a joke where Dan would fill in but because Dan isn't there to Phil just does it himself. So Phil saying a typical Phil thing then immediately acknowledging it as weird, and his sort of... answer filler crutches like "Oof" (which he said a lot during the q&a) strike me as public speaking discomfort vibes. His tone is more natural, I agree with that, he just seems very nervous.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

#SPON

The final phandomwatch 2009/2010 nostalgia fest starts in 30 minutes!! Join HERE :D
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

For comedy purposes, they deffo are the funniest together. All of their edited videos have a comedy aspect to them (even BIG), so those feel like performances, rather than authentic, spontaneous bants. It's the live streams, tour video commentary, and interviews where we get to see and hear glimpses of their authentic selves (they even talk with a more relaxed, deeper voice).
cheekyc
squish

GalaxyDarling wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:17 am For comedy purposes, they deffo are the funniest together. All of their edited videos have a comedy aspect to them (even BIG), so those feel like performances, rather than authentic, spontaneous bants. It's the live streams, tour video commentary, and interviews where we get to see and hear glimpses of their authentic selves (they even talk with a more relaxed, deeper voice).
I agree 100%. I think their personalities balance each other out well, making for excellent comedy, but their quieter moments are really where they shine through. I think that another big part of it is how comfortable they feel with one another AND their audience. I’m really excited to see what the future holds. I miss their liveshows. :/
:ribena: it’s the internet support group :ribena:
masterofgeometry
squish

cheekyc wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:39 am
GalaxyDarling wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:17 am For comedy purposes, they deffo are the funniest together. All of their edited videos have a comedy aspect to them (even BIG), so those feel like performances, rather than authentic, spontaneous bants. It's the live streams, tour video commentary, and interviews where we get to see and hear glimpses of their authentic selves (they even talk with a more relaxed, deeper voice).
I agree 100%. I think their personalities balance each other out well, making for excellent comedy, but their quieter moments are really where they shine through. I think that another big part of it is how comfortable they feel with one another AND their audience. I’m really excited to see what the future holds. I miss their liveshows. :/
I'd die for more content like the 2017 video bloopers + dapg bloopers :happytears: they're so homely
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella
Pronouns: She/her

masterofgeometry wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 am
I'd die for more content like the 2017 video bloopers + dapg bloopers :happytears: they're so homely

What if they released 10 years of gay joke bloopers they've been editing out :loveeyes:
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Yeah I wouldn't mind to see all the things they had to edit out (especially in terms of "gay jokes" and alike) and how maybe they used to have more footage before, than in 2017/2018/2019 for example
(Was there any editing at all for the Hearthrob video haha)
:gayaf:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

One thing I've been wondering about is who DnP take inspiration from among their creative peers. I've been listening to Perfume Genius a lot lately and reading interviews with him, and I'm very intrigued by how he and his long-term partner and bandmate Alan work together professionally but also how they express gender through the Perfume Genius persona but also in what they share on social media. I'd love to see DnP's browsing history to see who they might be taking cues from going forward.
moon-boye
smol bean

slight diversion from the current topic but i just watched jacksepticeye's recent video about how variety gaming (like dapg) is experiencing a downturn in the youtube economy, and found it really insightful. obviously there are other factors for dnp in deciding what to do with dapg going forward (most of them related to the pcou), but i can't help but wonder if we have a skewed perception of how big of a revenue stream the channel is/was for them.

:rainbow: :cactus: