Discussion of Fics We're Currently Loving

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 pm coffee at midnight just has me full :rainbowtears: with every new chapter in a way that i can't even really explain
The new chapter just fucked me up in all those very keen anxiety ways. I don't just love this Phil, I identify with him.
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:49 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 pm coffee at midnight just has me full :rainbowtears: with every new chapter in a way that i can't even really explain
The new chapter just fucked me up in all those very keen anxiety ways. I don't just love this Phil, I identify with him.
Gosh, being so anxious about a situation that you accidentally make everything worse hits too damn close. But Dan is also being a literal angel, of course Phil's crushing hard.
kavat
pastel persona

Anyone else dead after Coffee at midnight ch14? i'm in Pain and i love it
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:09 am Anyone else dead after Coffee at midnight ch14? i'm in Pain and i love it
literally me, yes
nicky1388
spork

Hey ya'll!

I'm new in this thread. I love fanfiction. If you have any good recs, I'd love to check them out.

Preferences: AO3, completed, canon, well-written. <--- i've read fanfiction now for nearly 20 years. sorry, i'm picky.

i offer my teeny-tiny foray into phanfiction as my dues to the thread: https://archiveofourown.org/works/10973754

i don't know if we're allowed to talk about fanfiction ideas here, but i have one. i've always wanted to write a dan and phil songfic based on For You by Troye Sivan.

i also wanted to do a wierd childhood friends to lovers one that involved a school bus. thoughts?
kavat
pastel persona

nicky1388 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:08 am Hey ya'll!

I'm new in this thread. I love fanfiction. If you have any good recs, I'd love to check them out.

Preferences: AO3, completed, canon, well-written. <--- i've read fanfiction now for nearly 20 years. sorry, i'm picky.

i offer my teeny-tiny foray into phanfiction as my dues to the thread: https://archiveofourown.org/works/10973754

i don't know if we're allowed to talk about fanfiction ideas here, but i have one. i've always wanted to write a dan and phil songfic based on For You by Troye Sivan.

i also wanted to do a wierd childhood friends to lovers one that involved a school bus. thoughts?
Hi, welcome!

We use this thread to mostly talk about WIPs, but this thread has a lot of good recommendations even if it hasn't been updated in a while.

But here are a couple of completed canon compliant recs:

In any word by jestbee
Very meta, very imaginative, very good.

an act of infinite optimism by phloridas
2009 but from Dan's mum's pov. Absolutely lovely.

And a couple of AUs just because:

In the darkness with you by ablissa
Office AU, friends with benefits, delicious slow burn.

Virus by lackless
Dystopian future, virtual reality, beautiful world building and great storytelling. One of my all time faves.

Hope you enjoy!
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

i always come to this thread when i don't actually have the words so it's not the most productive.
but... coffee at midnight, right?
kavat
pastel persona

Ugh yes. The pacing of that latest chapter was delicious. And I just love Nigel, usually Kath takes the lead in fic but here Nigel has an important role and I'm so here for it.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Yes, that pacing! The build is so lovely and then when we hit the big moments, they're so earned and so satisfying. And maybe catharsis is supposed to be in seeing the pain, but seeing Dan open up, and seeing the ways they're both starting to heal is so cathartic to me idk.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Are people reading can't breathe when you touch my sleeve? I'm loving it v much.
that moment when Dan introduces himself as Phil is so lovely transposed into this world where they're not together yet, and in a live radio interview...
kavat
pastel persona

Templeofshame wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:37 pm Are people reading can't breathe when you touch my sleeve? I'm loving it v much.
that moment when Dan introduces himself as Phil is so lovely transposed into this world where they're not together yet, and in a live radio interview...
God yes I love that fic. That moment made me actually belly laugh, and it's not the first time. I love how the author weaves in canon moments in ways you really don't expect it (same with "horrible boy") but it still works. 10/10 would recommend.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I've been loving can't breathe when you touch my sleeve! Very sweet and humorous. I also want to recommend an angsty slowburn by intoapuddle on ao3, Monochrome. It is really good so far. Strong and emotional, I'm eager to see where the story leads.
kavat
pastel persona

I adore Monochrome. It's heavy, and it's so far more a story about Dan than about Dan & Phil (the burn is slooooow) but I like that it gives so much space to explore everything going on in both Dan's mind and in the story within the story. The parallels both within the story and to canon and fandom are just *chef's kiss*
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

can't breathe just finished today, for anyone waiting for that completed mark! also berlin, just 3 chapters but so so good!
palomeheart
dank meme

I posted about this here last year too when I did one for new phanfic writers in 2018, but I'm compiling a Phandom Creators Class of 2019 post again this year, with links to self-recs of anyone who posted phanfic/art/edits/gifs/moodboards/etc. for the first time in 2019. If that's you/you know someone who did, you can find more info/send in your self-rec here!

Also to participate in the intended purpose of the thread, I've really been loving two WIPs, just a boy by calvinahobbes (Notting Hill au with all the fun of a romcom and all the great dnp dynamics/thoughts/depth of a calvinahobbes fic) and chaos in bloom by vvelna (fem!dnp plus the sweetest falling into love you could ask for plus ghosts). Both are wonderful and recently had chapters out!
it's a useful thing
sonicgreen
woodland creature

spaceguitar wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:48 am Have you guys seen all of the amazing art for the fanfiction Monochrome, including a whole website & game demo? I wasn't involved at all but I could cry just seeing the beautiful result.
(quoting this into the fic thread from the main thread)

I loved monochrome, it was slow but very very enjoyable. Can you link us to some art and the website (based of Fall Whisper I’m assuming)?
kavat
pastel persona

sonicgreen wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:33 pm
spaceguitar wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:48 am Have you guys seen all of the amazing art for the fanfiction Monochrome, including a whole website & game demo? I wasn't involved at all but I could cry just seeing the beautiful result.
(quoting this into the fic thread from the main thread)

I loved monochrome, it was slow but very very enjoyable. Can you link us to some art and the website (based of Fall Whisper I’m assuming)?
Here is the site that a group of fans out together, such a cool project! https://thankyoupuddle.wixsite.com/thxmonochrome/home

I haven't downloaded the game but everything else really is amazing.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

That site is the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I wonder if intoapuddle cried reading it because I sure teared up. SO creative and incredible
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Sorry to be that person who drags up an old thread and asks about old things, but what ever happened to dizzy's & wakey's teenager fic? Was feeling nostalgic yesterday but saw it has been deleted.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

My understanding is that there was terrible phandom drama and vicious harrassment of the authors by people upset by the subject matter (and/or participating in a mob for fun). Subsequently, the fic was removed and waveydnp left the phandom, both great losses for those of us who enjoy excellent fic!

But, by all means, let's revive old threads! I haven't been reading much phanfic at the moment, but I'd love a good rec. :reading2:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
kavat
pastel persona

Teenagers is a great loss, I loved that fic. Thankfully dizzy and wavey collabed again on linger on which is beautiful and sad and wonderful.

Another rec while I'm here is too far to walk alone by chickenfree which is just about to be finished.

Also is anyone else wrecked by this dreaming endurance by judearaya because I might need a support group for that one.
LAshleigh
cheeky #spon

I just read Too Far to Walk Alone in under 24 hours...oops? I had started reading back when it was only like three chapters and wasn't in love, but when I saw it was finished I picked it back up again and just couldn't stop. The characters are unlike any other iteration of dnp that I've ever read, but I liked it nonetheless (or maybe in part because of that fact?)

I am waiting for the last chapter of This Dreaming Endurance before I keep reading, but I was hooked on that one as well!

Of course Linger On was breathtaking as well, anything that dizzy and/or wavey write is bound to be perfect.