Dan & Phil Part 90: Fish Daddies

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
thatspecificboob
smol bean

Megancita75 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:29 pm So the deal with an on-camera interview is that you don't always have the presence of mind to express yourself with absolute clarity or to realize what you left unsaid. I don't think this interview should be taken as gospel on what Dan thinks about this topic.
I agree, I feel like BiG which he took such time and care over is likely to be a more accurate representation of his views than an interview where he's thinking on his feet about a very emotive topic and it's then edited by someone else.
loveparanoia
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her

dan and phil both followed a drag queen @itsourautumn on instagram. she only has 200 followers so any clues is she maybe a friend of theirs?
Secretstanner
truth bomb

loveparanoia wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 am dan and phil both followed a drag queen @itsourautumn on instagram. she only has 200 followers so any clues is she maybe a friend of theirs?
Yeah it’s their friend Adam. On his now private account you could see him starting drag, most just putting on makeup etc but looks like he’s actually part of a drag house now.
kavat
pastel persona

:betta: Norman update :betta:
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Secretstanner wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:46 am
loveparanoia wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:41 am dan and phil both followed a drag queen @itsourautumn on instagram. she only has 200 followers so any clues is she maybe a friend of theirs?
Yeah it’s their friend Adam. On his now private account you could see him starting drag, most just putting on makeup etc but looks like he’s actually part of a drag house now.
Here’s a video of deppy with Bryony and Adam. She follows @itsourautumn too.

"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
autumnhearth
senpai

Aww just saw that Dan started following Chasten Buttigieg on Instagram, the husband of Pete Buttigieg, one of the democratic presidential candidates. He says in his bio ‘My husband is running for President and my dogs don’t see to care’. *whispers* clearly the dogs only belong to Chasten, not Pete, just like a Norman only belongs to Phil :brokenheart: :betta: Also love the term ‘first gent’.
knq
lava lamp

Norman is still alive!!! :betta:

I’m disturbed by how responsible I feel for someone else’s pet fish. Suddenly I’m glad they’re dog people. I don’t think I could take it if they got a cat. I’m still haunted by the Impossible Quiz where Dan claims cats like belly rubs.

I love how purely DanAndPhil a tank with meticulous aquascaping and a bright green plastic leaf sounds.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

knq wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:09 pm I don’t think I could take it if they got a cat. I’m still haunted by the Impossible Quiz where Dan claims cats like belly rubs.
My cats love getting belly rubs. I feel like it’s just based on the cats personal likes. I’ve had cats that love belly rubs and will roll over so you can smooth their belly but hate you touching their face and I’ve had cats that only like ear rubs and head pats. Although my cats answer to their names and run over when you call or pat your leg so maybe they think they are dogs haha
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I am interested in the way DnP use the words "stood" and "sat" differently that I, an American, do. They say things like "I was stood there" when I would say "I was standing there" or "we were sat at the table" when I would say "we were sitting at the table." I've been impressed in some of the fanfic I've been reading that the writers keep to this usage, though I'm sure not everyone is from the UK. Anyway, I've tried to research this verb conjugation difference between American and UK English and am not finding much. Can anyone from the UK tell me if this usage is common, or if it's just a DnP thing?
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Megancita75 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:34 pm I am interested in the way DnP use the words "stood" and "sat" differently that I, an American, do. They say things like "I was stood there" when I would say "I was standing there" or "we were sat at the table" when I would say "we were sitting at the table." I've been impressed in some of the fanfic I've been reading that the writers keep to this usage, though I'm sure not everyone is from the UK. Anyway, I've tried to research this verb conjugation difference between American and UK English and am not finding much. Can anyone from the UK tell me if this usage is common, or if it's just a DnP thing?
As someone that lives in the uk I would say it the same way dnp say it. And too be honest before reading what you wrote I never even thought about it. I don’t ever think I’ve said it the other way and reading it doesn’t even sound right in my head. I’ve never picked up on anyone saying it the ‘American’ way before where I live or in British tv shows, there is a chance I just wasn’t paying attention because I didn’t realise. Humm I’m actually really interested in this
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Megancita75 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:34 pm I am interested in the way DnP use the words "stood" and "sat" differently that I, an American, do. They say things like "I was stood there" when I would say "I was standing there" or "we were sat at the table" when I would say "we were sitting at the table." I've been impressed in some of the fanfic I've been reading that the writers keep to this usage, though I'm sure not everyone is from the UK. Anyway, I've tried to research this verb conjugation difference between American and UK English and am not finding much. Can anyone from the UK tell me if this usage is common, or if it's just a DnP thing?
Not from the UK, but based on the amount of media I consume from the uk I'm gonna go ahead and say this is a common thing. And I think fic writers just pick up on these things over time and it becomes second nature even if you're from outside the uk. Be in fandoms involving british people for 10 years and you pick up on 95% of the slang, word differences, etc
vogonsrock
squish

Those instances of usage are common in the UK, but where I live (in the UK) you rarely hear it, when you do it's usually when quoting verbatim what someone who does use it like that said. Everyone I know uses "I was standing..." or "we were sitting..." versions.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

That makes sense. It makes me wonder if fanfic writers who care about preserving British usage in their fics end up compiling usage lists. Like I just saw one today that used “kitchen roll” instead of “paper towels” and I appreciated the attention to detail there.
bantsandpheels
phillion/danosaur <//3

I'm glad someone brought this up! Because when I first started watching dnp, "stood" vs "standing" messed with my head so much. It took a while before I accepted that it's just a British thing.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Megancita75 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:54 am That makes sense. It makes me wonder if fanfic writers who care about preserving British usage in their fics end up compiling usage lists. Like I just saw one today that used “kitchen roll” instead of “paper towels” and I appreciated the attention to detail there.
I always say I'm going to make a list, but then get lazy and end up half-assing it. Sometimes I go back and look specifically for places I can use "sat" and "stood" and "well" etc. in British ways so that the voice feels more D&P and less me.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Megancita75 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:54 am That makes sense. It makes me wonder if fanfic writers who care about preserving British usage in their fics end up compiling usage lists. Like I just saw one today that used “kitchen roll” instead of “paper towels” and I appreciated the attention to detail there.
Those kind of lists definitely exist in general, but yeah it'd be interesting if any writers kept these lists themselves. It is also a fairly common thing to get someone to britpick fic.

But I also do think british language has just become a part of a lot of non-british people's vocabulary at this point from being exposed to it for a long time (I myself can think of examples where it's come up in my everyday life without meaning to - I've forgotten the term bulk candy and said pick n mix instead, said soz, and called sweaters jumpers to name a few - all not on purpose and to the confusion of the canadians around me lol). I think it'll actually be interesting to see how much british slang/language will start popping up in north america due to things like music artists, youtubers, netflix with access to british shows, etc exposing americans (etc) to so much more british culture than in the past. Will americans start saying 'british' things in their daily life by mistake in the same way I mentioned in the examples, and if so many kids start being exposed to it will these things become more common in the same way any sort of new language/slang starts up in places?
Secretstanner
truth bomb

The weird part is from watching dan and phil it’s actually made me start saying more American words. I can’t tell you how in the past couple years people have corrected me for saying elevator, couch or the way Americans say vase or Z. I noticed at dan does it a lot on purpose, he will use the American way to say something. I remember in maybe undertale video he was talking and said lift but then stopped and re said the whole sentence and then used the word elevator. It was clearly a part that was meant to be edited out but wasn’t.

I just want to say that I really appreciate it when authors that aren’t British or English being their first language take the time to do research and change the words to what it would be if dan and Phil did say it. I know some people may not feel comfortable doing this and like to keep with the wording that know and that’s completely okay. I know it’s more work and can understand why people want to stick with what they know. I don’t know how to explain it but it’s like being in a cosy jumper? Is that weird I don’t know it feels heart warming. I’ve been reading part 2 of teenagers and I think that’s a great example of making a fic feel authentic and it adding so much to the story by just referencing a shop that you know. Isn’t that silly? It feels comforting and I can’t even say why.
knq
lava lamp

Secretstanner wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:51 pm
knq wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:09 pm I don’t think I could take it if they got a cat. I’m still haunted by the Impossible Quiz where Dan claims cats like belly rubs.
My cats love getting belly rubs. I feel like it’s just based on the cats personal likes. I’ve had cats that love belly rubs and will roll over so you can smooth their belly but hate you touching their face and I’ve had cats that only like ear rubs and head pats. Although my cats answer to their names and run over when you call or pat your leg so maybe they think they are dogs haha
I'm so curious how common this is now! Admittedly I currently have a cat who enjoys a gentle belly rub, but in the 30 years of owning cats up until now, I've never met another like her. When I've had roommates who weren't familiar with cats part of my basic primer was 'If they roll over and show you their belly, don't rub it, it's a trap' because I feel like that's how unsuspecting folk end up getting scratched.
Secretstanner wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:38 am The weird part is from watching dan and phil it’s actually made me start saying more American words. I can’t tell you how in the past couple years people have corrected me for saying elevator, couch or the way Americans say vase or Z. I noticed at dan does it a lot on purpose, he will use the American way to say something. I remember in maybe undertale video he was talking and said lift but then stopped and re said the whole sentence and then used the word elevator. It was clearly a part that was meant to be edited out but wasn’t.

I just want to say that I really appreciate it when authors that aren’t British or English being their first language take the time to do research and change the words to what it would be if dan and Phil did say it. I know some people may not feel comfortable doing this and like to keep with the wording that know and that’s completely okay. I know it’s more work and can understand why people want to stick with what they know. I don’t know how to explain it but it’s like being in a cosy jumper? Is that weird I don’t know it feels heart warming. I’ve been reading part 2 of teenagers and I think that’s a great example of making a fic feel authentic and it adding so much to the story by just referencing a shop that you know. Isn’t that silly? It feels comforting and I can’t even say why.
I was thinking of that exact lift/elevator moment as I read your comment! There are a few instances where Phil notes Dan's phrasing too "Yogurt? Are you American?" and "I'm feeling in a 'zed' mood because I'm British."

I grew up in California and I have to say I enjoy the overuse of the word 'dude' and just the syntax that's common among California teenagers (or was when I was growing up) just because it's familiar. I liked all the Bandoms (Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, etc) and even Teen Wolf for having that kind of dialogue.

Re-watching early seasons of Teen Wolf and while it's not actually good, I'm surprised Phil didn't appreciate the shirtless men more. It should have been right up his alley.
starwatersong
phabergé

One of my favourite British-isms is the adding of “do” onto certain sentences.

For example, someone saying, “I could do” instead of “I could.”

Note: This is just an observation of a Canadian who lived in England for a year.
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella

Does anyone have a subscription to the Sunday times? There's a top 100 influencer list I was curious to see if dnp made it. They deffo would've a few years ago! (I lost my subscription when I graduated uni)
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the- ... -hsmhv8dlp#
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
charlottekath
squish

Tornbetweenfandoms wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:25 am Does anyone have a subscription to the Sunday times? There's a top 100 influencer list I was curious to see if dnp made it. They deffo would've a few years ago! (I lost my subscription when I graduated uni)
Phil is at 47 and Dan isn't on there. The company who compiled the order state on their website 'our unique algorithm - the CORQ Score - tracks audience size, engagement rate, growth and reach to give every influencer a rating out of 10'

47 Phil Lester • AmazingPhil •Entertainment
Phil Lester is an entertainment YouTuber, author and presenter known for his channels Amazing Phil and DanAndPhilGAMES, which he runs with fellow influencer Dan Howell. Their first book, The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire, was published in 2015 and reached the top of the New York Times bestsellers list. They subsequently toured internationally and embarked on their second world tour in 2018. The pair also created the gaming app 7 Second Challenge. Phil loves Pokémon and once came second in the quiz show The Weakest Link.
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella

charlottekath wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:38 am
Tornbetweenfandoms wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:25 am Does anyone have a subscription to the Sunday times? There's a top 100 influencer list I was curious to see if dnp made it. They deffo would've a few years ago! (I lost my subscription when I graduated uni)

Phil is at 47 and Dan isn't on there. The company who compiled the order state on their website 'our unique algorithm - the CORQ Score - tracks audience size, engagement rate, growth and reach to give every influencer a rating out of 10'

47 Phil Lester • AmazingPhil •Entertainment
Phil Lester is an entertainment YouTuber, author and presenter known for his channels Amazing Phil and DanAndPhilGAMES, which he runs with fellow influencer Dan Howell. Their first book, The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire, was published in 2015 and reached the top of the New York Times bestsellers list. They subsequently toured internationally and embarked on their second world tour in 2018. The pair also created the gaming app 7 Second Challenge. Phil loves Pokémon and once came second in the quiz show The Weakest Link.
This really surprises me. Yeah Dan hasn't been active this last year but I would've thought the engagement and growth rate was still higher on dinof, especially after BIG. Maybe Dannies are just louder 🤣
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The complete list, for those who want to feel old and out of touch or something.

Also, never forget the time Sunday Times gave us this iconic picture :lol:

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
liola
rankussy

Phil liked a tweet of a real estate opportunity. The house is creepy af, it's in Australia and literally everyone needs to see it but i can only focus on Phil. Liking a post about a house to buy. Call me crazy but I will say it's a hint and I'm preparing to camp on this Moving hill for however long it will take.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

It's 2019 and traditional media still doesn't understand how online influence works. The fact that Josh Pieters, who is lucky if he gets 100 likes on his tweets and 20 comments on his instagram posts is on the list and Dan, someone who was inactive for most of the year yet posts just one video and is featured on cnn, bbc, forbes, gets reactions from world leaders, and his social media engagement is at an all-time high proves that the people who compile "most influential" lists are clueless on the subject.