Dan & Phil Part 92: japhan 2.0

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Tottrie
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her

obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:30 pm Dan's socks are a lot more expensive because it's a pack of 4 rather than 2, but even then I don't get why it's £10 more than Phil's single pairs.
My guess is that they are more expensive because they are sport socks and not just "ordinary socks" like Phil's.

I actually really like this merch release. Maybe I'm the only one. But I've always wanted a blanket from them, I love their candles and socks is amazing.

I do agree with that Phil's merch this time is more my taste than Dan's. But the 'my soul' hoodie (that I already have) is great and I love it.

I understand people that don't like that they are releasing merch. But sometimes it makes me sad to see people so mad at them for doing it. I like seeing what they release even though I don't always buy it. But I guess that's just me. :shrug:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Tottrie wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:13 pmI understand people that don't like that they are releasing merch. But sometimes it makes me sad to see people so mad at them for doing it. I like seeing what they release even though I don't always buy it. But I guess that's just me. :shrug:
I've actually been surprised there isn't more sadness/nostalgia for this being Dan's last merch drop. I guess that means that him no longer making it is a good call, though, if the sentiment toward him doing merch drops while not doing youtube content regularly has soured to this extent.
knq
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:50 pm so cute :(
:happytears: :happytears: :happytears:

I love Dan being supportive behind the camera even when they have their professional photographer there. I miss seeing them together on YT and these IG stories lately have been so lovely.
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

madzilla84 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:32 pm I’m curious about people’s thoughts on something - today is the 10th anniversary of Dan’s arrival in Manchester for ‘that week’, and on that day Dan tweeted a pic of the menu at the skybar showing a £2000 bottle of champagne (a jeroboam, actually four bottles in one), joking that Phil had bought it for them. (And then followed up someone’s question of ‘seriously’ with ‘yes’). I always thought it was funny but today, with the tweet circulating again, I saw a lot of people thinking it was genuinely true - is that the general opinion? Do people really think that they bought, and drank, *four* bottles of £500-a-pop champagne between them when they were 18 and 22 and neither of them had a job? I know Phil’s family is well off but *two grand*? I - really?? I thought it was so obviously a joke...

(Nowadays, well, that’s another matter, but even with all the money in the world and an iron liver, two whole bottles of champagne to yourself is going to leave you in a hell of a state, yikes... but even if you did, *two thousand pounds* like ... dude)

Also, v cute behind the scenes clips on Phil’s insta stories :)
I definitely assumed that it was a joke. I'd be very curious to hear from anyone who thinks that Dan was being serious though. It would honestly shock me if it were true, especially considering their ages and circumstances (as you pointed out). Is it just because I am poor? :lol: I don't know. I feel that even well-off people would still be pretty unlikely to do such an extravagant thing so early into meeting someone, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Also, yes. Very cute. Definitely brought a smile to my face.
Last edited by dogsaremybestfriends on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basl
smol bean

Hi! I never post in here but I find this discussion interesting. I have met quite a few pseudo-poets, it should be a skill listed for my degree, really. I have read so much worse than those verses Dan made (that doesn't mean I think Dan is a poet at all)but the thing is I actually found them OK, they didn't make me cringe.

The fun thing about poetry is that it can be whatever, we have calligrams (Apollinaire, Tablada), dadaist poetry (Literary Collage), slam poetry /spoken word (listen to Europe is lost by Kate Tempest is amazing), automatic writing (within surrealism), and a big, etc. So there isn't a right way to write poetry and knowing all the options might even make it more tempting to try, is a good way to let out your thoughts, romantic or political or existential, the important thing is to find new ways to let people see the world through your eyes. Sometimes the words are right and they cause the -oh so craved- cathartic feeling, other times you end up with a cringe-fest.

That said, I don't think Dan would publish a poetry book. He wouldn't be the first youtube personality to do it, Connor Franta's note to self comes to mind, but I can't see Dan publishing something like that. Poetry doesn't have to be personal or confessional but I think a lot of people don't know that in poetry lyrical I and the author aren't the same entity. so it would mean that everything Dan writes would be judged and analyzed as literal and completely true to himself, which is not fun and would require a lot of vulnerability.

In conclusion of this long-ass pointless post, I don't think his verses are cringe -they feel like a love letter to urban life, I would be interested in reading a poetry book around that topic- but I don't think the secret project is a poetry book, I actually have zero theories about it I just hope whatever it is he's proud of it <3
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

basl wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:15 pm Hi! I never post in here but I find this discussion interesting. I have met quite a few pseudo-poets, it should be a skill listed for my degree, really. I have read so much worse than those verses Dan made (that doesn't mean I think Dan is a poet at all)but the thing is I actually found them OK, they didn't make me cringe.

The fun thing about poetry is that it can be whatever, we have calligrams (Apollinaire, Tablada), dadaist poetry (Literary Collage), slam poetry /spoken word (listen to Europe is lost by Kate Tempest is amazing), automatic writing (within surrealism), and a big, etc. So there isn't a right way to write poetry and knowing all the options might even make it more tempting to try, is a good way to let out your thoughts, romantic or political or existential, the important thing is to find new ways to let people see the world through your eyes. Sometimes the words are right and they cause the -oh so craved- cathartic feeling, other times you end up with a cringe-fest.

That said, I don't think Dan would publish a poetry book. He wouldn't be the first youtube personality to do it, Connor Franta's note to self comes to mind, but I can't see Dan publishing something like that. Poetry doesn't have to be personal or confessional but I think a lot of people don't know that in poetry lyrical I and the author aren't the same entity. so it would mean that everything Dan writes would be judged and analyzed as literal and completely true to himself, which is not fun and would require a lot of vulnerability.

In conclusion of this long-ass pointless post, I don't think his verses are cringe -they feel like a love letter to urban life, I would be interested in reading a poetry book around that topic- but I don't think the secret project is a poetry book, I actually have zero theories about it I just hope whatever it is he's proud of it <3
I have no knowledge or skill when it comes to poetry, and my attempts at writing it have been limited in their success to say the least, but I very much enjoy reading it. I enjoyed Dan's poem. I would actually really like it if he released a book of poetry, but people on here seem to have mixed opinions about it. Dan definitely seems to enjoy writing and expressing himself. Perhaps he would find it too vulnerable and exposing to do something like that, but I sometimes think the ambiguity of poetry (or song-writing) gives someone a bit of a mask to hide behind if that makes sense.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:19 pm I've actually been surprised there isn't more sadness/nostalgia for this being Dan's last merch drop. I guess that means that him no longer making it is a good call, though, if the sentiment toward him doing merch drops while not doing youtube content regularly has soured to this extent.
Yeah I am feeling melancholy about it because he does really seem to enjoy the merch creative process. I see a lot of people on Tumblr convinced that regular joint content is around the corner and I just feel like DnP are just over and over reiterating how their careers are going in separate directions - which is great - but I am also surprised people at least where I am reading aren’t discussing that more. The final merch drop for Dan seems part and parcel of the overall career transition.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

This is really cute
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:19 pm
Tottrie wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:13 pmI understand people that don't like that they are releasing merch. But sometimes it makes me sad to see people so mad at them for doing it. I like seeing what they release even though I don't always buy it. But I guess that's just me. :shrug:
I've actually been surprised there isn't more sadness/nostalgia for this being Dan's last merch drop. I guess that means that him no longer making it is a good call, though, if the sentiment toward him doing merch drops while not doing youtube content regularly has soured to this extent.
I think it's because we all know it will eventually come back, he said it's going to do more merch once the project drops which means next year (hopefully) and with just how close his merch drops have been I don't see how people could really be nostalgic. Also, merch is merch, is stuff they want to sell, and at the end of the day if you don't want or can't buy it only gives a couple of pictures. But with them owning IRL I think everyone knows merch isn't gone and forgotten but just put aside for a couple of months - which is nothing different than normal merch releases for normal creators.

The nostalgia is much more for him as a creator/person and joint content and I think most people just don't care about giving money to someone they can't fully enjoy, at least that's for me (and also, his merch is just..very hit or miss)
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:00 pm
I think it's because we all know it will eventually come back, he said it's going to do more merch once the project drops which means next year (hopefully) and with just how close his merch drops have been I don't see how people could really be nostalgic. Also, merch is merch, is stuff they want to sell, and at the end of the day if you don't want or can't buy it only gives a couple of pictures. But with them owning IRL I think everyone knows merch isn't gone and forgotten but just put aside for a couple of months - which is nothing different than normal merch releases for normal creators.

The nostalgia is much more for him as a creator/person and joint content and I think most people just don't care about giving money to someone they can't fully enjoy, at least that's for me (and also, his merch is just..very hit or miss)
My understanding is that this is actually the end of "Dan" merch and when he has merch in the future it will be specifically project related? So in that sense yeah this is Dan being finished with merch that focuses on supporting him, as a person.

That said it isn't emotionally impacting me much. Everyone just makes such a big deal about anything ending that this thing ending not getting much attention surprised me.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

also this is cute, phil had liked the original tweet about this person going for an interview wearing phil socks
autumnhearth
senpai

madzilla84 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:32 pm I’m curious about people’s thoughts on something - today is the 10th anniversary of Dan’s arrival in Manchester for ‘that week’, and on that day Dan tweeted a pic of the menu at the skybar showing a £2000 bottle of champagne (a jeroboam, actually four bottles in one), joking that Phil had bought it for them. (And then followed up someone’s question of ‘seriously’ with ‘yes’). I always thought it was funny but today, with the tweet circulating again, I saw a lot of people thinking it was genuinely true - is that the general opinion? Do people really think that they bought, and drank, *four* bottles of £500-a-pop champagne between them when they were 18 and 22 and neither of them had a job? I know Phil’s family is well off but *two grand*? I - really?? I thought it was so obviously a joke...

(Nowadays, well, that’s another matter, but even with all the money in the world and an iron liver, two whole bottles of champagne to yourself is going to leave you in a hell of a state, yikes... but even if you did, *two thousand pounds* like ... dude)

Also, v cute behind the scenes clips on Phil’s insta stories :)
I’ve always thought it was a joke. I’m surprised by how many people still say it was for a meal (I guess because he didn’t correct the formspring questioner). I knew it was for champagne *but* I didn’t know it was for four bottles! That’s great and really puts the nail in the coffin. Thanks for sharing that.

I know a child who would very much like that reversible sequin skull jumper, but I’m not paying that much for clothing that is too big for him now and that he will then likely outgrow. But I got him an II tour hoodie on sale awhile back, so that will be under the tree. I didn’t mention it at the time, but it was the first positive experience I’ve had with District Lines (the smallest size wasn’t available on the world wide shop). The confirmation, shipment notification and the delivery itself was all very prompt.

I was hyped for pjs and the art for the cozy browsing is cute, but selling it with plain bottoms is lame imo. Like from a fashion standpoint yes you don’t want too many patterns, but for selling merch... there’s nothing special about the bottoms except that they are vaguely the same blue-grey as the slippers in the art, only not really. At least tell us about the fabric! I agree it would have been perfect on a mug.

Aww bless that Thomas Sanders’ tweet, so wholesome.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:43 pm This is really cute
:happytears:
That's so cute I adore Thomas. I hope Dan sees this and it made him smile. Hope he responds.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
liola
rankussy

yellowsubmarine wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:23 pm
obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:43 pm This is really cute
:happytears:
That's so cute I adore Thomas. I hope Dan sees this and it made him smile. Hope he responds.
Aww what a wholesome thing!!
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:15 pm
liola wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:00 pm

My understanding is that this is actually the end of "Dan" merch and when he has merch in the future it will be specifically project related? So in that sense yeah this is Dan being finished with merch that focuses on supporting him, as a person.

That said it isn't emotionally impacting me much. Everyone just makes such a big deal about anything ending that this thing ending not getting much attention surprised me.
Hmm why do you think that? From Dan's posts on tumblr he just said "final merch release for the foreseeable future" but nothing more, did I miss something else?

People do care a big deal about things ending, but that's about things for the fandom, that we care about and look forward to. Now I'm sure there's some people genuinely looking forward to the merch for the merch itself but that's a minority. Merch is a product they sell for a living and I think most people realize that it's not really content to enjoy (again especially if you don't want or can't buy) so I think that's why there's not much fuss about it. Merch isn't Dan's primary platform, it doesn't change much in the fandom life imo so I think that's why there's just not much talk about it?

The dnpshop closing for example (or the lack of joint merch) would be taken much worse because it would just tie with the ending of DanAndPhil™ rather than the merch itself

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:26 pm Hmm why do you think that? From Dan's posts on tumblr he just said "final merch release for the foreseeable future" but nothing more, did I miss something else?
I'm just basing it on his previous tumblr post, where he said:
Whilst for many online personalities designing merch is a valid creative project all on its own, as someone who is known principally for their comedy content I personally feel like my merch should more often be in support of the other things I make (don’t want to go full Rihanna lmao no shade).
It felt to me like he was saying that he didn't want anything Daniel Howell branded going forward, but more just merch that is specifically centered around whatever project he's doing at the moment.

I'd actually love it if Dan did more charity linked merch in the future, I feel like that'd be a nice middle ground between what he seems to want to avoid and still keeping sales up and fans interested.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’ve always said to myself that with the end of joint content I’d be content If they shared glimpses into their lives every now and then so that’s why I loved the stories where they told us about Norman and the Japhan content. If that’s how they intend to go forward I’d still be nostalgic for dapg but I could get by so I really hope this year was just a transitional year and that they’ve finally settled into something they’re comfortable with.

As for dan’s merch- I’ve never associated him with the phrases “ugh” or “fml” so if his merch becomes more project based I’m not going to be be sad about it. I’d say the only thing that tugged at the heart strings was the way they signed off the newsletter “we wish you many merry moments in your life to come.” - that more than anything sounded like a goodbye to dnp the brand.
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:34 pm I'm just basing it on his previous tumblr post, where he said:
Whilst for many online personalities designing merch is a valid creative project all on its own, as someone who is known principally for their comedy content I personally feel like my merch should more often be in support of the other things I make (don’t want to go full Rihanna lmao no shade).
It felt to me like he was saying that he didn't want anything Daniel Howell branded going forward, but more just merch that is specifically centered around whatever project he's doing at the moment.

I'd actually love it if Dan did more charity linked merch in the future, I feel like that'd be a nice middle ground between what he seems to want to avoid and still keeping sales up and fans interested.
Ah I see why you think so, personally I thought it was just a "reply" to the dislike of releasing merch when he's disappeared from his main content, but i guess it could mean both things, although if it's a big project then it would be hard to do merch just for that, unless it was something continued in time. I guess Dan doesn't know himself.

I also love the charity merch idea, I think it's something he's passioned about, but I'm still gonna hold my charity mukbang dream close to my heart <\3

starwatersong
phabergé

knq
lava lamp

I’m hoping we’ll know more about Dan’s plans early next year.

It seems like he and Phil talk about their business plans while they’re recharging after Christmas, so I’m hoping they have that talk about the gaming channel Phil keeps saying they haven’t had yet.

I guess we don’t know if they will take the beginning of the year off without having to recover from gamingmas, though. So maybe not?

Tbh I feel like I don’t know enough to even speculate. That’s one reason I’m not sad about the idea of this being dan’s last merch drop (for awhile or whatever he decides.) I just don’t have a good basis to build expectations on. I wasn’t expecting merch from him at all before the My Soul drop.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, Thomas. That is so, so cute.

I thought Dan might do personal-brand kind of merch again in future, just alongside more that we could see ie the project, not that the merch itself would only be related to the project. Idk. I’m not sad to see the last of 4 sets of merch, though, especially since he told us that already.

I’ve always hoped that £2k wine thing was a joke. Jfc.

I’m totally here for more poetry. I thought the first one today and the one in Japan were lovely and the second one today was funny. It got me thinking he’d invented the word ‘snom’ until I looked it up and the search engine suggested ‘pokemon’ with it. I was sad about that, ‘snom’ as a shortening of ‘snowstorm’ to fit a 7-syllable line was wonderful.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

flarequake wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:32 pm
I’ve always hoped that £2k wine thing was a joke.
That’s funny bc I always hoped/thought it was true bc it meant Phil was trying so hard to impress Dan and that Dan felt very special and that it was definitely a date !
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The only thing that at that point in time would've been chasing Phil harder than Dan would've been his student debt, so I always assumed that it was a joke and that Dan's confirmation was just him being a cheeky shit. :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Judearaya
sofa crease

I'ma be a jerk for a moment? I didn't even think as those posts from Dan as poetry? I mean, I'm not saying they aren't, but w/o fandom, I woulda just thought he was being kinda random. I agree w/ the idea that poetry is super personal and vulnerable (I say this as a poet), and I'm not sure I see Dan doing that? Who knows what Dan's gonna do tho, I don't know that he knows half the time.

I love that Dan offered a weighted blanket in his merch. I have one and I love it and it's so helpful for anxiety. It's also, IMHO, reasonably priced. I don't need one, since I have one, but I'm here for it.

I am more here for the IDB stuff, and I bought a bunch yesterday, so thank you IDB! I got some Christmas gifts for friends.

Can I just say, I feel like Dan takes way better pictures of Phil than other photographers do. I LOVED him talking Phil through that photo shoot, but kinda wish Dan had just been doing it.
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

so, i was watching their festive ditl today and scrolling through the most recent comments, and someone pointed out that at 1:45, you can see they have a mug which says 'best buds: dan howell and phil lester'
probably a fan gift but it's pretty cute, and not something i'd ever noticed in the video before! also, seeing their old flat made me miss all their nerdy/cutesy knick-knacks, like the spiderman on the blind cord, dan and phil figurines, the ghost lamp, the wall-e toy, the mario bros flowers, etc. i'm assuming they still have them in the current apartment but we just don't get to see them anymore
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

This is such a Phil tweet, but also idk it's been months since theyve come out but it never fails to give a lil jolt of happy emotions when either of them casually mention their gayness :') I guess I'm just always happy that they can do it and feel comfortable to lol