Dan & Phil Part 92: japhan 2.0

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

You wanna know what was a lie? When they said Pinof was done, and the gaming channel was going on "hiatus", and that nothing else would change.

I'm proud of them for their June videos and I acknowledge that those videos must have taken a lot of time, but aside from that, Dan hasn't existed as a creator/influencer and Phil has produced only a bare minimum and (IMO) very uncreative content. Greenscreen edits and wish videos have been done hundreds of times, and have been done in way more exciting or unique ways. I actually haven't watched his videos since the DML2, only skipped through but deemed them too boring.

I have a hard time letting go of fandoms because it's a part of my identity and a place of comfort and I think many feel similar. There were so many people clinging onto the moving theories for dear life this year because it would have given a reason for all the absence, but now we simply must face the reality and move on from Dan and DanAndPhil.
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

I think no one is genuinely upset because of the mukbang alone - I know that I'm not, I know a lot of the people who made posts on here are not. The mukbang is just the last nail in the coffin of joint content and, in a broader spectrum, all the things fandom was attached to and cared about.

It's about an entire year of things disappearing and changing when they said nothing else was going to change besides the gaming channel "hiatus" and pinof ending. Is the frustration of complaining about their communication for an entire year, of missing the content we all loved, while some parts of the fandom said to be calm, be patient, they said nothing was changing and we have to trust them! Joint content is not dead! The joint merch shop isn't ending, even if they don't do merch for it anymore and only use it as a ploy to get more sales at the end of the year when people are more inclined to spend!

This is a pattern they have, they did it with the radio show, with SAP, with all the things they didn't want to say were actually over and they tried to soften the blow by omitting the truth (since apparently saying they lied isn't right) until people just stopped asking. It's about them IGNORING all questions about the gaming channel for months until we got an answer that was obviously another lie from Phil at Vidcon ( because it's been another 6 months and nothing happened). It's about Phil liking posts on his community tab about the mukbang, knowing that people have asked for it, declining messages about it in liveshows and then deciding to drop the bomb on the last liveshow of the year so that way he can avoid for a few weeks the disappointment, rather than thinking that it's the worst timing for his audience.

It's about Dan disappearing again and again when he pride himself on his relationship with us for years, on saying he had a special link with his audience. I'm tired of justifying him, I can kind of excuse the beginning of the year because yes, planning a big coming out that also involved his family must have not been easy, but it's been 6 months since BIG and we're still in the blue, he only talks to us when he wants to sell his merch or when people complain that, maybe, he's selling way too much merch for someone who's only posted 2 videos on his channel in a year and a half and has basically withdrawed any communication with his audience.

Like when people were trying to explain how shipping them as a couple was not about JUST the looks or JUST them living together or JUST the vday video, but it's about their history, this frustration and sadness and yes, anger, is not about JUST the mukbang, it's about the behaviour they've expressed this year.

I'm happy that they're happy in their personal relationship, I'm happy that they're thriving and relaxed but I'm not their friend, I'm their target audience/customer and right now I'm moving a critique to their professional behaviour, not their happy couple life.

And yes, fandom as a community is certainly not dying, but that's a different entity from the community engaged with them as creators, and that is the entity that allows them their fancy Japan trips, for Phil to get sponsorships and PR packages etc - the same audience that has honestly spoiled them to the point that they know they can pull these things and they'll still have people waiting for them, something that not many creators can do.

Just.. It's not about the mukbang, no one cared about watching them eat on camera, it was just that we all know regular joint content is gone and dead and at least that seemed like an easy enough excuse to, once this year, be in the same frame together, speaking to each other and to us. I just want for one day for this fandom to be able to be critical of Dan and Phil without having to justify these critiques.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

YES :respekt2:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I basically agree with everything that liola said. It’s not just about the mukbang itself but what it represented: the last hope of a joint video which is now dead.
I just can’t get over the fact that we went back to the same discourse we had when the year started - their communication issues. And nothing has changed since then. I am tired of making up theories or excuses as to why they are acting the way they do. They are the one who are supposed to tell us, it’s not our job to figure out their intentions.

People say that we should trust them but why? Those two are the same people who told us a year ago that nothing would be changing and we are here now and everything has changed. Phil told us a few months ago that he and Dan would pop up in each other’s vids and we are here now with no mukbang or baking or Dan’s face present on a video. Hell, Dan uploaded one video this year and didn’t even bother to do a liveshow to talk to his audience. So like, I don’t even know why I should be excited for whatever project he has going on at this point.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Neons
spork

I was always surprised by posts I saw here in the last few months of people expressing their hopes (or even downright certainty) that we'd see any kind of real joint content again, as it seemed so obvious to me they were done with it. I just got that impression from the way DnP conducted themselves this year (and Phil's comments in DML2 made it even clearer). Thing is though I have only been a fan since their coming out videos, so comments they made in liveshows etc before that I didn't know about.

They could certainly have been clearer about their intentions, they both seem so fearful of any kind of negative kickback from their audience over even tiny things, and it's irritating sometimes. I think that's why I appreciated Dan's strong stance on the election recently as it's the first time I can recall him expressing such an unequivocal opinion on anything remotely controversial (though I imagine most DnP fans would be left-leaning to be fair, so perhaps it's not as admirable as I'm making it out to be - still thankful for it though).

The merging of their shops for christmas did surprise me given what I said about about how they conducted themselves this year. But it saved fans money on shipping so whatever. But the giveaway of joint video messages seems such an obvious money-grabbing tactic in retrospect. Ugh. And yes, the timing of the mukbang comment after the merch sales have gone through... :roll: Playing with people's feelings is really not cool, let alone for money. Christ.

I do enjoy Phil's content, though I agree with LtrllySusan that I was expecting more from him creatively, particularly given some comments he made in DML2. He seems to be slipping back towards the kind of videos he was making in the six months before he came out, but we shall see. I still feel like he has made a lot of effort with his audience a lot over the last few months, just not where anything to do with Dan is concerned.

My thoughts on how Dan has conducted himself this year are not complimentary, to say the least. That's already been covered quite well in this thread. I think I can barely call myself a fan of him at this point.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I'm glad they're living their best lives right now, I'm glad they're happy and rich and all that, I really am. And if they don't want to tell us anything, if they want their lives to be private and closed-off, that's fine too.

What I don't get is their mentality that they can cut us out when convenient and draw us back in the moment they have something to sell to us. And yes, this is especially true for Dan. What I don't get is that they expect their fandom to wait patiently for them to drop big projects and merch and just lap it up without complaint while they don't communicate clearly, dissapear for months and give vague answers to keep us engaged because they obviously know they'll lose a big chunk of their fanbase when they officially declare joint content dead or if Dan officially leaves Youtube or if the gaming channel is officially over etc.

Someone said Dan was taking his audience for granted and that's just true. He's trying to move away from his old image and from his old audience but at the same time he's pressing every last penny out of that old audience that he can get by selling them overpriced merch. And I don't even want to hear the "He's silent because he's working on another big project again" rethoric anymore because it's just manipulation at this point. "Yes, I've left you all in the dark for half a year but here's another project I put my life's blood in, enjoy this thing made with my tears and hard work, everything was so stressful!" And then we collectively feel bad for criticising him again.

If he doesn't want to engage with his fanbase anymore or make content or be an influencer, that's fine. I wish him the quite, private, happy life he craves in that case, I really do. But he can't keep coming back to sell us stuff when he feels like it then. He can't have it both ways. Everyone always says he doesn't owe us anything and that's true. But at the same time I don't owe support and money to creators who string me along like this and I think we need to stop treating creators like they're gods blessing us with their art and we have to be thankful.

Because they're not. They clearly want something from us (support, money, Youtube clicks etc.) but they're not willing to treat us respectfully in return and somehow we're still supposed to say "Oh hey, they don't owe us anything, here's £40 for a jumper."

I think this "We just have to wait and trust them!" thing is actually very bad. Because we shouldn't have to wait for and trust creators to give us something whilst being expected to shell out money for merch in the meantime. With a good creator, you don't have to "wait and trust". I never had to "wait and trust" with Lilly Singh for example, because she's able to just communicate when something doesn't work out or when she needs a break. And she's also a queer creator of colour with mental health struggles so it's not like doing Youtube is easier for her than for D&P.

I'm just sick of having to accept excuses for D&P people wouldn't make for other creators, I guess?
liola wrote:I'm happy that they're happy in their personal relationship, I'm happy that they're thriving and relaxed but I'm not their friend, I'm their target audience/customer and right now I'm moving a critique to their professional behaviour, not their happy couple life.
Yes.
hello9217
flower crown

I don’t have time to read through everyone’s comments so sorry if I’m repeating someone. Phil literally did say that he felt there was no more projects he and dan wanted to take part in together and the example he gave of what joint content would follow is dan behind the camera. I remember people mourning the loss of joint content after that.

I do think that Phil genuinely wanted to do another mukbang. I do think he believed that the gaming channel would come back in one form or another. He said at vidcon that he believed that the number one asked question was what was going on with the gaming channel, so he definitely had that answer prepared. It wasn’t something he thought of in the moment. I really don’t think dan has an issue with joint content the way dan seems to. Yes it does hurt to have confirmation that there will be no more mukbang but people @ing phil and be angry with just him seems so harsh. I think phil has tried so fucking hard to be more open with his audience this year. A video from myself 10 years ago, his coming out, dml 2, solo panels at vidcon, liveshows returning. This has all been phil trying to have a bigger connection with his audience.

Now on to dan. After BIG the literal only thing Dan has communicated with his audience is that he’s working on something and he only told us this after people were upset with a merch drop. Like why is it always on Phil. Phil who is ALSO working on a secret project but still has time to post a video every other week and do weekly liveshows and have some basic form of communication with his audience. Yes they are separate creators but I feel like dan is just so easily forgiven constantly while phil is left there to pick up the pieces. Like if they both left for 6 months then there would not be an audience for dan. Phil did so much to make sure people stayed here and dan just seems to not care about any of it. He can write a little paragraph about how he’s pouring is life and soul into a poetry book and how dare you criticize me because I am working on something and people will be angry at the people who were ever mad at dan. It’s so cruel to treat an audience that way.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

They’ve both let us continue to believe there ‘maybe’ would be some joint content at some time in the future and this was a final death knell of that, previous mourning was some people I guess, cos it was somewhat clear, but it wasn’t as definite as this. The lack of clarity and the level of hurt feeling, how unkind it makes them look, is why I tweeted Phil. I tried to be nice and just explain cos they don’t seem to get it. It overshadows every other good thing they’ve done this year if it hurts people this much.
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

scientia wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:15 am
bluecaterpillar wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:28 pm dan and phil are liars and also shit at communication we been knew
Sorry, what exactly was lied about? They have at times been vague and evasive but I don't see how either of them outright lied?
them saying 'nothing will change' at the end of last year when actually they've quietly killed all joint content. phil saying mukbangs would become a series. dan saying 'there are still lots of recurring series that aren't as special as pinof' or something along those lines. 'liars' sounds harsh but i'm not actually mad at them, i was saying it more out of resignation than out of anger (though if others are angry that they've misled us about joint content that's also fine). there's been plenty of things over the years that they've said they're going to make/return to but then haven't, like the vegas video, radio show, super amazing project, etc. i'm used to them letting us down and not talking to us about what's going on, but that on its own has never been enough for me to stop following them. (i did stop watching them towards the end of 2016 but that was because their dinof and ap personas came across so strong that they felt fake in videos. in retrospect, terrible time to lose interest because they really loosened up after monster pops baking/gamingmas 2016 but wcyd)

also, just to clarify, them being closeted for years has absolutely nothing to do with me calling them liars. being closeted sucks, internalised homophobia sucks, been there done that and i would never blame them for trying to imply heterosexuality back in the day or denying/avoiding the topic of their relationship. i'm just referring to the stuff that they do for the audience's consumption - youtube, radio, liveshows and all that.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
Phantasy
woodland creature

*just throwing it out there for the universe to absorb, but now would be a great time to announce a big gay D&P wedding*
:2022:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bluecaterpillar wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:23 pm
scientia wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:15 am
bluecaterpillar wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:28 pm dan and phil are liars and also shit at communication we been knew
Sorry, what exactly was lied about? They have at times been vague and evasive but I don't see how either of them outright lied?
them saying 'nothing will change' at the end of last year when actually they've quietly killed all joint content. phil saying mukbangs would become a series. dan saying 'there are still lots of recurring series that aren't as special as pinof' or something along those lines. 'liars' sounds harsh but i'm not actually mad at them, i was saying it more out of resignation than out of anger (though if others are angry that they've misled us about joint content that's also fine). there's been plenty of things over the years that they've said they're going to make/return to but then haven't, like the vegas video, radio show, super amazing project, etc. i'm used to them letting us down and not talking to us about what's going on, but that on its own has never been enough for me to stop following them. (i did stop watching them towards the end of 2016 but that was because their dinof and ap personas came across so strong that they felt fake in videos. in retrospect, terrible time to lose interest because they really loosened up after monster pops baking/gamingmas 2016 but wcyd)

also, just to clarify, them being closeted for years has absolutely nothing to do with me calling them liars. being closeted sucks, internalised homophobia sucks, been there done that and i would never blame them for trying to imply heterosexuality back in the day or denying/avoiding the topic of their relationship. i'm just referring to the stuff that they do for the audience's consumption - youtube, radio, liveshows and all that.
My opinion on it is that they've always considered it a lose/lose.

They can say nothing and just drop things out of nowhere and people get angry at the lack of communication. I think Dan was trying to do that with his new project; considering Dan's history with telling us something is coming and people being livid when it doesn't happen, I get why he picked that approach.

Or they can communicate their intent while being unable to predict where they will be at mentally or emotionally a year from now, especially after the specific kind of upheaval this past year has had with coming out. I think that's where Phil has been at with trying to touch base with the gaming channel even though he has no real updates. I still think things like that are an ever evolving conversation between them. It seems they've decided mukbangs are off the table, and he let us know. I think Phil is trying to find the softest way possible to break bad news.

At the end of the day, both methods of communication have just resulted in angry fans. Doesn't make it any less disappointing or upsetting when we cling to something they've said and they change their mind on it (see: my frustrated tweet at Phil yesterday, I am in no way saying I'm immune to this) but I think the fact that they are two people who are trying to balance what we want and what's best for them makes me view it more compassionately than I would if this were they were people whose public image was crafted by a company or production studio. I think they try to learn from the past and what they've learned is that unless they're able to give us exactly what we want (which they did admirably last year but there were still large swathes of time when people were very upset at them) there will be backlash either way.

They fuck up. They're bad at telling us things. That really sucks. I'm often mad about it. So don't in any way think that I'm saying any of this as an excuse. I'm more just expounding on the 'why' behind it, not arguing that it doesn't happen. I just don't know what the solution would be, I guess.
liola
rankussy

Or...they can learn the balance? They can learn to communicate the bare minimum, like any other youtuber does, not even just related to projects but even about that, they can say "working on something, dunno how long that will take but let's cross fingers!" and then still engage? Hell, Rick Riordan after years of people begging for it announced he's in the talk with disney for a PJO adaptaton, he made it clear that NOTHING is set in stone, he has no control over it, we might never know, but no fans is holding a gun against his head? We're just grateful he's giving this small crumb, it's good to know.

They have not learned, that's the issue I think, because honestly, this is the same thing they've done for years so I don't see how they could have learned when nothing has changed.

It's frustrating, I'm still frustrated, and you know what, it sucks. I don't want to be frustrated with something that usually gives me joy.

And as a personal pet peeve, I don't like this behaviour of saying critical opinions are negative. Being critical shouldn't be seen as a bad thing.

CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

liola wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:13 pm
They have not learned, that's the issue I think, because honestly, this is the same thing they've done for years so I don't see how they could have learned when nothing has changed.
They haven't learned because at the end of the day nothing changes for them. They do stupid shit, the phandom explodes, then it dies down and we all wait for the next merch drop while listening for a hint of Dan's voice in the background. They know people will still be here waiting because there's never been any accountability, so why would they change?
George
sad dimple

I feel like they don't want to be this famous anymore and don't know how to break the news to us. They are rich, their sexualities are out there and now it's time to retire (from youtube at least). Now let's imagine they Phil says this out loud - everyone would freak out (maybe not anymore), majority of the phandom dies (if it hasn't already) but there's really nothing we can do about it. Would that be better than what we have now - broken promises and unrealistic expectations for the future? I feel like being honest in their behavior would leave a better taste in my mouth for this whole phandom experience and make me feel more appreciated. They wouldn't have what they have now without us. The way things are now it's almost like they want the majority of us to leave and their strategy for that is treating us badly and make some low effort content every once in a while to have a backup if their next move fails. Maybe that's a little exaggerated, but still.

To be fair, I don't really think they know even themselves what's going to happen. Or ar least didn't know a year ago, but it's almost 2020. I'm really expecting some answers in a new year (I realised while writing that sentence how that probably means not getting any answers at all which is basically the answer here).

I'm happy for Dan to prove me wrong with his ~secret project~ or joint content getting back in 2020 as fast as it disappeared or them to reveal whatever life drama held them back this year, but I'm not holding my hopes up here. And kudos to Phil of actually trying some (not that that should be something worth praises for).
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

CapriciousCrab wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:28 pm
liola wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:13 pm
They haven't learned because at the end of the day nothing changes for them. They do stupid shit, the phandom explodes, then it dies down and we all wait for the next merch drop while listening for a hint of Dan's voice in the background. They know people will still be here waiting because there's never been any accountability, so why would they change?
My point is more that I don't think it's a 'learn from one mistake, now here's the solution' situation. These situations are all different; they do lie but they're never lying about exactly the same thing twice and the situation is never exactly the same. I think they try to pick the best approach for each situation, but when the situation is giving us bad news the way they go about it will never end in fans feeling satisfied.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I saw mention elsewhere too of even Phil not wanting to do youtube anymore and I don’t see that at all. He seems to be happily continuing with videos and liveshows and getting some good spon, doing some tweets, ig stories etc.

Whatever change/s they need to make, it would be sad at any time that they tell us, but yes, the clear version is far better. Then we’re all on the same page and can move forward, ‘we’ meaning them as well as us.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

liola wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:13 pm Or...they can learn the balance? They can learn to communicate the bare minimum, like any other youtuber does, not even just related to projects but even about that, they can say "working on something, dunno how long that will take but let's cross fingers!" and then still engage?
Exactly. There is a way to communicate with your audience without making loads of people this upset without fail every single time. Almost every other big Youtube creator manages to do it. So instead of pretending like they just can't win I think we need to accept that they're kind of bad at being creators lately and they weren't very good at communication before either and honestly I don't think they care very much as long as it works for them. Because there is no way they don't know how upset they're making their fandom every single time this happens.

They both used to be my favourite creators since 2012/13 but I'm at a point where I consider myself a casual viewer of Phil's and nothing more. And that's due to their behaviour over the course of the last year. I'll always have a soft spot for them because I've supported them for so long though. But I literally don't even care what Dan's big project is anymore. I hope it's good and it brings him and other fans joy but I'm just tired.
Grey
lady door

I don’t get the impression that this is hard for them too. They’re rich as hell and can disappear forever if they want to. I get the impression that the lies are because that’s the best way to keep their fans engaged enough to buy stuff from them.

In the first II show, people freaked out about they talked about wanting to do their own thing or whatever. So they stopped telling us the truth after that to ensure it didn’t affect ticket sales.

Dan doesn’t communicate with us unless he’s trying to sell expensive shirts.

They joined their merch shops, gave a prize of joint holiday messages, and waited until after people bought stuff to tell us there won’t be a mukbang despite Phil saying (and I quote) “there will be another mukbang, I’ll tell you that much”.

To me, this looks like a calculated move. They’re not struggling to figure out how to let us down with minimal hurt. They’re not upset that we’re upset. They’re strategically using the false hope of joint branding to make them money...

I do agree that it’s mostly Dan’s fault though. I think Phil has tried hard this year (particularly the second half) with videos, liveshows, etc. It’s not his fault that Dan bailed. But he is still participating in the strategic hoodwinking.
I'm having a stress.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Im only commenting on Dan because he’s the only one that’s been ia but i’ve never thought that dan was done with fame so I don’t think that’s the reason he’s being so absent. If he just wanted to be a private person then why the new projects or why the need to call himself a comedian and an entertainer? It seems to me that he doesn’t want to be a youtuber and as much as he ‘appreciates’ the audience he’s always partly resented it as well. He could prove me wrong but that’s the impression I’ve been getting since the beginning of 2018

I’m not angry with him or phil right now even though I have raged enough throughout the year but I’ve become resigned to the current state of disappointment and idk if that’s better
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I don't have a public twitter account (and their notifs are probably spammed enough), so I decided to show my disappointment in the only way available: Unsubbing.

It sucks (and I hope I'm still welcome here), but I really don't care for Phil's content and I dislike that they are being vague for the sake of having a safety net in the form of DINOF and DAPG. So for now, I'm out. If there's ever interesting content on those channels again, I can resub.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

For me, I find it's just best for me not to engage in speculation at all -- speculations about their motivations, about whether they are going to move, get engaged, acknowledge anniversaries, make certain types of videos, reveal the nature of secret projects, etc. Some of that is fun to speculate about, sure, but in the end I find it almost always ends up getting too aggressive and argumentative for my taste and it just spikes my anxiety.

Every fan experience is different, and for me at least, I am happier the less I speculate and just react to what they actually give us.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

To be quite honest with you, the thing that bothers me the most is how they are acting like they never said anything about joint content still happening when that’s exactly what they did. Unfortunately for them I don’t have short memory, I remember when they said not to worry, when they planted the idea of a yearly mukbang into our brains, how nothing was changing, how other series would still be happening. But now they are like “joint content? Never said a word about it! Mukbang? Never intended for it to become a series!” and so on.
Even in the (remote) case they really meant what they said a year ago but then had to change their plans for whatever reason, the right thing to do should have been letting us know. But they didn’t - they kept it quiet and vague until the very end and now it seems like we are the ones in the wrong because we were expecting something they never promised us in the first place when that’s not how it is at all.
hello9217
flower crown

liola wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:13 pm Or...they can learn the balance? They can learn to communicate the bare minimum, like any other youtuber does, not even just related to projects but even about that, they can say "working on something, dunno how long that will take but let's cross fingers!" and then still engage? Hell, Rick Riordan after years of people begging for it announced he's in the talk with disney for a PJO adaptaton, he made it clear that NOTHING is set in stone, he has no control over it, we might never know, but no fans is holding a gun against his head? We're just grateful he's giving this small crumb, it's good to know.
I’m sorry but how has phil not done that? His first q&a video he said he was working on something. At vidcon he said it again. In his dml he said he is always trying to work through a project but he doesn’t like talking about it because things fall through. He even said that he is trying to work on a story and turn it into something but it could turn out to be nothing.

If this is solely about joint content then yeah they need to work out that but I really feel like it’s a lose/lose. Last year dan was okay making videos so they say yeah we would do another mukbang. This year dan doesn’t want to be on youtube so phil says he doesn’t want them to be a series anymore. That is communication imo. People changed their minds and decided they didn’t want to do this thing anymore and phil told us they didn’t want to do it anymore.

I’m not trying to invalidate the way people feel because I do get it but you can’t just say they aren’t letting us know anything when every time they do tell us something and it’s not what we want to hear then people say they aren’t communicating. The only thing still up in the air is the gaming channel, which phil has been very back and forth on.
liola
rankussy

hello9217 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:49 pm
liola wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:13 pm Or...they can learn the balance? They can learn to communicate the bare minimum, like any other youtuber does, not even just related to projects but even about that, they can say "working on something, dunno how long that will take but let's cross fingers!" and then still engage? Hell, Rick Riordan after years of people begging for it announced he's in the talk with disney for a PJO adaptaton, he made it clear that NOTHING is set in stone, he has no control over it, we might never know, but no fans is holding a gun against his head? We're just grateful he's giving this small crumb, it's good to know.
I’m sorry but how has phil not done that? His first q&a video he said he was working on something. At vidcon he said it again. In his dml he said he is always trying to work through a project but he doesn’t like talking about it because things fall through. He even said that he is trying to work on a story and turn it into something but it could turn out to be nothing.

If this is solely about joint content then yeah they need to work out that but I really feel like it’s a lose/lose. Last year dan was okay making videos so they say yeah we would do another mukbang. This year dan doesn’t want to be on youtube so phil says he doesn’t want them to be a series anymore. That is communication imo. People changed their minds and decided they didn’t want to do this thing anymore and phil told us they didn’t want to do it anymore.

I’m not trying to invalidate the way people feel because I do get it but you can’t just say they aren’t letting us know anything when every time they do tell us something and it’s not what we want to hear then people say they aren’t communicating. The only thing still up in the air is the gaming channel, which phil has been very back and forth on.

Phil has done it in regard to his solo project you're right, I mentioned in the other posts that this point i'm making is not only about their projects but I guess I forgot to mention it again. In this case yes, obviously when I mention Phil i mean joint content because he's been great this year with his own stuff, he's given us way more than he's given us in the past. But he's the only one showing his face and he's stuck with the burden of responding to all our questions, sucks for him but he kinda brought it upon himself and he can complain to his other half for it.

For Dan well the point still stands.

This isn't about their solo projects, I honestly couldn't care less because that is their own stuff, we're talking about things that have been "fandom" stuff for years, traditions they made with us and for us, things the fandom cared about and fell in love with, that they took away while omitting the truth and trying to downplay it. Yes, maybe it's a lose/lose situation, or maybe it wouldn't be? Maybe if they tried being honest for once, and giving the bad news without tiring the fandom out for months, because that's what happened with the gaming channel and the mukbang situation, maybe it would be great?

Because when they announced PINOF ending there was sadness obviously but it was done, it was over, we weren't left wondering for months about its future, we just knew? How is that not better?

They are not communicating, that is just plain and simple the truth, we've been complaining about them not communicating with us this entire year, the only time they did it is when they 100% couldn't avoid doing so (gaming answer at Vidcon panel which he couldn't necessarily control, and Dan's post about his merch after he realized the uproar of people tired of being asked money when he was awol). That's not communication, that is trying to salvage their faces when the situation becomes a PR mess

glitterintheair
phillluminati

hello9217 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:49 pm

The thing is - okay, you don’t wanna do anything joint anymore? Great, then tell us. Don’t wait until the last liveshow of the year to drop the bomb on us. Unless we want to believe they didn’t know they were not doing it until now, but I personally don’t. Dan doesn’t want to be on YouTube? Okay, why he’s not telling us so? Explaining why, maybe? He uploaded one video, then dropped merch and the news he’s working on something mysterious and disappeared again when last year he even said that he would upload more on YouTube. So yeah, things change, that’s life. But they cannot go from joint vids two/three times a week to nothing like this, making us wait and hope for a freaking video of them in the same frame together for a whole year just to say in December ‘oh btw that’s not gonna happen lmao bye’. That’s not communication.