Dan & Phil Part 93: Fomosexual

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Hey friends, I haven't posted here in a while but I'm lurking every day. I saw that I was quoted somewhere above and thought I'd chime in. (top of the page, well hi)

It's highly unlikely for Dan to be involved in any kind of professional e-sports. Just because he can play some GW2 and he's not a bad player overall doesn't mean he has the time, dedication or experience to participate in any such event. These players play their games at the top possible level and I really can't see Dan, with his career, having the time for that. (Maybe in the last year... cough)
For many people, these games are a full-time job or at least a second job. They also usually start young, so unless Dan somehow managed to conceal random trips to tournaments over the past years from us, then nah.

I also don't believe he has the kind of knowledge or skill to train a team but he could perhaps manage one. I'm not sure how that would work for him though, he's not the most organized person on the planet.
The only gaming-related thing I can think of him doing is being some sort of a stage personality at an event, maybe introducing the next games, etc, I don't know. Unless ATF is looking to establish some sort of a casual gaming e-sports team, which I believe would not get a lot of interest. The Phandom would watch en masse, but only if it was both Dan and Phil playing. ;)

Anyway, I know that the conversation has moved on but as I haven't posted in a long time I want to say that I agree with many of you re: Dan's "disappearance". I understand him needing a break, I personally have also pretty much vanished from everything I used to do. But when you have an audience of millions and merchandise you want them to buy, the least you can do is say you need a mental health break.
If he pops out of nowhere with this mysterious "secret project", I'm sure many of his fans won't care that much anymore - which may very well be exactly what he wanted if he's looking to move on to a different kind of audience.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Hey, itasca00, thanks for the live show timestamps! I haven't watched yet but this makes me want to.

Also, I always assumed Interactive Introverts was influenced partly by some of the work Bo Burnham has done, since some of it seemed to be driven by a real philosophical interest in trying to understand what an audience is and whether or not it is truly possible to satisfy everyone and whether that should even be the goal.

I've also been thinking a bit lately about ContraPoints' latest video, where she talks about the difference between individual audience members and the collective audience as a whole, and the power the collective has, by referencing this quote: “The snowflake never needs to feel responsible for the avalanche.” This was in reference to cancel culture, but it does also speak some to the dynamics of audience in general and made me think about how creators probably have to hold both images of their audience -- the individual and the collective - in mind in order to try and have some sort of healthy relationship with it. I'm not trying to make any sort of sweeping statement about the DnP audience or anything, just that I find any discussions about audience and online personalities to be intriguing and welcome any insight that comes from the creator side of things.

(Edited to add: Just to clarify, I am personally interested in discussions of more abstract concepts like the psychology of coming out or the role of audiences in fandoms, and often I don't mean to be making any commentary on how DnP actually feel or how fans should feel. For some reason, just felt I needed to make that disclaimer this time!)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Slightly random/left field thought I had about that last bit of Dan’s BIG video, the bit that was bothering a few of us with the ‘f -off and leave me alone’. I’m thinking it might not have been a general thing, but specifically about people who’d asked or speculated intrusively on his sexuality.
Becky.rigby
living flop

Having an evening of missing dan so much :( i wish so much that i made the most of radioshows, liveshows, danandphilgames with spooky week, gamingmas, to this.... trying so hard to stick around and stay positive, but it just feels like a kick in the teeth like after all this time, he didnt care at all! Because if he did care he would communicate with us. I guess now he hasnt got any merch to promote or wants something from us he doesn't need to communicate with us. :/ i hate how i feel like i keep repeating myself, because i wish i could just leave and move on, but i can't. Even phils liveshows seem quite polished and strange to me :S i can't put my finger on it. I understand when phil said in dml2 that we dont know what someone is going through, but then that is why communication is important. I can't bring myself to watch old stuff as they just make me depressed now. I wish i could meet Dan and ask him.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

After the recent fiasco of late shipping, missing items, cancelled orders, etc they come back with that? I'm truly baffled by how oblivious they are sometimes.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I still believe that the Twitch business means nothing. And, even if it were to mean something, I'm inclined to think it's more likely to have something to do with a charity livestream like Olly Thorn's last year than with gaming. Nevertheless, I'm still finding myself feeling really excited dreaming about the possibilities created by ATF starting RAIIVN!

My top dream is to have Dan and Phil shoutcast RAIIVN's League of Legends games. I find the current shoutcasters of professional League games (both in Europe and North America) to be super bland. I feel like Dan and Phil could potentially do a way better job because (1) they play so well off each other, and (2) they could inject some actually funny humor into their commentary. The only problem is that I don't recall Phil saying that he's ever played League...but that's just a minor detail, right? 😏

Second, there's this from RAIIVN's website:
As well as supporting competitive players, we are also building a varied roster of streamers who share a passion for gaming.
Based on this, I don't think it's entirely outside the realm of possibilities that Dan (and/or Phil) could start doing some gaming on Twitch (but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part).

Third, there's this from ATF's website:
We will be hosting friendly competitive events across the UK, with the aim of making live competitive gaming more approachable, accessible and fun for a wider audience.
Assuming some aspects of these events are broadcast online, I think it's totally plausible that Dan (and/or Phil) could get involved in some way (as hosts, analysts, shoutcasters, etc.).

Finally, far closer to the less exciting realm of reality, I wonder if IRL has been tapped to make RAIIVN's "gear." I guess we shall see in due time.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A wild Dan appears!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

You know what, this being the overwhelming moment where he put the phone down actually makes a lot of sense to me.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m editing my post - not because my feelings have changed but I don’t want that negativity in the world. At least it’s something right
Last edited by Amiaw on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Maybe ... mention the break ... before you take ... oh never mind. :shrug:

Kind of a big mood though. In fairness he did better than me; I tried to take a break from the phandom because it was stressing me out and I didn't even make it a full day, he went a good week. And I *promise* you my life is more boring than Dan's. Oh, and our thread name is now very appropriate. :lol:

(Also, I can understand the difficulty of wanting to stay informed vs wanting to, y'know, stay sane - the world is constantly negatively overwhelming nowadays - but if it's affecting your mental health then, like, unfollow, mute, block, use lists, etc. Doesn't have to be forever. And it doesn't have to be 'overwhelming stress' vs 'never going online ever', as much as a break can be kind of nice sometimes. Not that I would know, haha.)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Phantasy
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 pm A wild Dan appears!
When he tweets like this, which I interpret as half jokey and half serious, I immediately just think how emotionally high maintenance he must be to live with. Even if his mood via twitter only partially represents his irl personality that still suggests a whole heap of gloom. Good thing he's found his soulmate because it must take a special and buoyantly positive personality to offset all that mood.
knq
lava lamp

I laughed. Very thread appropriate, too. I take it they're both 'fomosexual.'
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Ah, the prodigal munchkin returns, if only for a while. Good to see him. It’s interesting to hear a bit of how he’s feeling, though it’s not all sunshine and roses.
stufflizloves
living flop

*gasps* ...LA? what doooooesss ittttt meeaaaannnn dan

(so happy to see his dumb face, i’ve missed him deeply)
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella

Tbh it makes sense that he's back on Twitter is he's in LA by himself.hes always been the most active and needy on twitter when Phil isn't around :lol:
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh I am SO very intrigued by the LA trip. Gotta be work/project related and I'm so fucking proud and excited for him, even if all he's doing is taking meetings right now!
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Tornbetweenfandoms wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:56 am Tbh it makes sense that he's back on Twitter is he's in LA by himself.hes always been the most active and needy on twitter when Phil isn't around :lol:
True, do we know for sure Phil isn’t there with him? They could have flown out this morning or late last night. While we’re on this speculation train, what the heck is he doing in LA?
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Idk if Phil is with him he would have had to leave after the live show and it’s not out of the question since he ended it early but I think dan probably left before that because of how bored and online Phil
Was on Saturday
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 am Oh I am SO very intrigued by the LA trip. Gotta be work/project related and I'm so fucking proud and excited for him, even if all he's doing is taking meetings right now!
ugh SAME. and also that's he's telling us about it??? and we're not finding out via airport fan pic? amazing.

i'm honestly kind of excited regardless of whether phil's with him. like the concept that they're living their lives and doing their Separate Big Things and then coming back home to talk to each other about it.....? fucks me up, folks. it fucks me up.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think there's a good chance that Phil isn't there but also like, no way Dan won't be home by Phil's birthday (or Phil will fly out there, wouldn't put it past Phil to want to do his birthday in the US just for the free IHOP) so I doubt they'll be apart that long for anyone that gets anxious about things like that.
stufflizloves
living flop

rizzo wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:06 am
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 am Oh I am SO very intrigued by the LA trip. Gotta be work/project related and I'm so fucking proud and excited for him, even if all he's doing is taking meetings right now!
ugh SAME. and also that's he's telling us about it??? and we're not finding out via airport fan pic? amazing.

i'm honestly kind of excited regardless of whether phil's with him. like the concept that they're living their lives and doing their Separate Big Things and then coming back home to talk to each other about it.....? fucks me up, folks. it fucks me up.
i didn’t even think about the no-fan-airport-picture. that’s a great point. almost like dan logged back onto twitter today and lurked and was like “DAMNIT THEY DONT KNOW!” and was a nervous combination of excited and anxious and braggy and had to share. i like the thought of that a lot.

also feel like sending him extra good vibes. go make those dreams come true, daniel! i believe in you, kid.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Weird that a bunch of anons knew about it weeks ago, though. We all just thought they were making up rumours at the time ... some of them said that’s why he’s missing vidcon London. Is he really gonna be there until the end of February or later?!

(Poor Norman, these guys have hardly both been home since they got him! :lol:)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I saw so many different variations of this trip and they all seemed unbelievable but here we are. Some anons said dan and phil were coming to LA and others said it would just be dan and then there were some anons that had more to say that I’m not going to post but whatever happens - this isn’t the chill January I wanted
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

madzilla84 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 am Weird that a bunch of anons knew about it weeks ago, though. We all just thought they were making up rumours at the time ... some of them said that’s why he’s missing vidcon London. Is he really gonna be there until the end of February or later?!

(Poor Norman, these guys have hardly both been home since they got him! :lol:)
I'm still not super convinced that anon (I've only seen one, were there more?) knew anything. I feel like that's a very shot in the dark kind of guess? But maybe so.

I definitely don't think he's staying in LA for months unless Phil is joining him. A week or two, sure. Longer? Idk. I mean, that's not impossible, I guess, but doesn't seem like the most likely scenario to me either.