Adrian Howell

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Phantasy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:31 am
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 pm Adrian and his girlfriend adopted a cat... ignoring all the obvious questions I have like, how the hell is that gonna work when you're planning on traveling Europe indefinitely and also know nothing about cats...

... I can't believe they got a (mammal-type) pet before Dan and Phil.
Adrian posted an update that they’re going to keep the cat “after a lot of research”. I imagine it’s going to be a paperwork nightmare importing an unregistered pet back to the UK. I’m rolling my eyes hard, but also, dammit, it’s an adorable kitten and they picked a cute name, Lena.

He really does seem to be living in this bubble reality at the moment—while the world is in a tailspin, he wiles away weeks living a bohemian existence in the Italian Alps (I’m annoyed that I’m a bit jealous of it too).

Although it didn’t need saying, he actually used the word “girlfriend” when referring to Collette his constant companion for several months now—so that’s two big boxes he’s managed to check before D&P... a warm blooded pet AND labeling his relationship with his partner. :shrug:
I just really want to know how he's paying for all of it. Surely, he's not sponsored that significantly.....?! And if he is, then holy shit I'm in the wrong field.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Phantasy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:31 am
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 pm Adrian and his girlfriend adopted a cat... ignoring all the obvious questions I have like, how the hell is that gonna work when you're planning on traveling Europe indefinitely and also know nothing about cats...

... I can't believe they got a (mammal-type) pet before Dan and Phil.
Adrian posted an update that they’re going to keep the cat “after a lot of research”. I imagine it’s going to be a paperwork nightmare importing an unregistered pet back to the UK. I’m rolling my eyes hard, but also, dammit, it’s an adorable kitten and they picked a cute name, Lena.
Yeah - this is definitely where I'm at. I'm tilting my head at the decision because it seems ill-thought out logistically and I hope they know a pet to take care of is gonna curb a lot of the impulse travel decisions they seem fond of, especially when talking internationally.

But damn that is an adorable cat and I am not complaining about all those kitten ig stories. If nothing else, I'm guessing Colin may end up with a feline sibling.
Phantasy
woodland creature

For posterity...
liola
rankussy

I'm just wondering how and why is he still in Italy? Are they trapped? The Alps are expensive AF, it's considered a rich people tourist spot, even if they rented an apartment they've been there like a month or even more that's thousands and thousands of euro.

Kitty super duper cute though, i'm glad one Howell is providing the content we truly need :happytears:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
glitterintheair
phillluminati

So Adrian made a post on IG where he told people about his first ayahuasca retreat.
Since I never heard of ayahuasca, I looked it up on google and.. bruh, what:

Ayahuasca is a brew made from the Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria viridis plants. Taking Ayahuasca leads to an altered level of consciousness due to psychoactive substances in the ingredients.

Though Ayahuasca was traditionally used for religious and spiritual purposes by specific populations, it has become popular worldwide among those who seek a way to open their minds, heal from past traumas, or simply experience an Ayahuasca journey.

It’s strongly recommended that Ayahuasca only be taken when supervised by an experienced shaman, as those who take it need to be looked after carefully, as an Ayahuasca trip leads to an altered state of consciousness that lasts for many hours.

I just.. okay.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I know someone who has done ayahuasca, and taking psychoactives is a thing in many cultures (does anyone drop acid anymore?).....

So, it's a bit out there, and it does smack a bit of cultural appropriation, but it's a thing people do. I only wonder that it's something to do for someone who's so careful about what they put in their body. Sure, ayahuasca is found in nature, but so is cyanide.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Those retreats are uh... a lot. If you want an introduction to them, check out the Oh No Ross and Carrie podcast series. They're a podcast that investigates healing/religious/spiritual/etc claims and they traveled to South America to attend one and try it. Here's a link to part one of their ten-part series on it.

(coming back a day later to fix typos because i should not be allowed to post from my phone)
dontpanic
#relatable

I've linked to a really good article from 2019 if you're interested in learning more about the implications of tourism for Ayahuasca

https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/hear ... -ayahuasca

I know spiritual colonialism is a topic I get irrationally annoyed about so I'm not going to, like, rant or anything, because this isn't on Adrian so much as late-stage capitalism encouraging privileged white kids to fetishize Indigenous cultures... but ugh.

It's too bad Adrian wasn't born a few years earlier, at least then he could have just had a bad salvia trip in his back yard like the rest of us and been done with it.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

His latest ig caption:
Adrian wrote:Our tickets are booked and we’re going to be heading off to Portugal in a just over a week. It’s been an incredible few months spent in the Italian Alps. The extreme landscape has been both inspiring and humbling — but now that the weather is getting colder, it’s time to move on to a more permanent location for winter. ⁣⁣
.⁣⁣
The plan is to stay in the Algarve for the foreseeable future, mostly to chase the Portuguese sunshine but to also have a stable place to ground ourselves in the long-term. ⁣⁣
.⁣⁣
Being able to travel and have that level of freedom is a great privilege. At the same time, constantly moving from one place to another isn’t really sustainable. It requires a lot of energy, and it’s challenging to commit to bigger projects and creative ideas.⁣⁣
.⁣⁣
I’ve realised that there are unique qualities that you get from being able to ground yourself in a certain location that you don’t get from being semi-nomadic. It takes a lot more energy to maintain this lifestyle than it looks, and eventually it becomes time to settle down somewhere for the long haul. ⁣⁣
.⁣⁣
I’ll update more both on here and on my photography account — but for the time being I have a lot of possessions to get shipped over, and some final bike rides to enjoy in these majestic mountains. 🚵🏼‍♂️
He did also confirm in a comment below that the kitten has been vetted for travel and is going with them.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Thanks for posting the update!

I expect that his wanting to settle down has not a little to do with having someone to settle down with (good for him!).
"Why am I left-handed?"
fondsmiles
phabergé

I unfollowed him when he posted his Weigh Loss Program announcement, but today I made the mistake of reading through his insta again and... oh boy. oh boy. it's making emotions come up, for sure

some of it reads as polar opposites of dan's approach as well.

for once, well, quite obviously, with dan making so sure to tell everyone about the trained professional he's working with, while adrian is writing about little pieces of mental health wisdom as though they were his own discovery, and he some kind of guru relaying that wisdom to his followers. that's maybe just making me salty because i am paying a shit ton of money and time for my training as a mental health professional and... well. i'm gonna leave it at that.

but then there's this post, where adrian talks about how he let go of "victim mentality", he stopped pointing fingers at who hurt him and had to pull himself out, that no one was coming to save him.
Everyone has experienced the victim mentality at some point in their lives. For many of us, it is an integral part of our identity. For a long time, my internal narrative would be overwhelmingly negative. I had a core belief that life was against me, that I wasn’t worthy. I viewed most encounters as a personal attack. Needless to say, most days were pretty unpleasant. ⁣
.⁣
There comes a point when you realise that no one is coming to save or fix you. For me, this came in the form of many rude awakenings. It was a slow process, but the awareness that I had to take full responsibility for my life had started to kick in. Often the most painful situations provide the most powerful lessons.
.⁣
We inhabit a world in which it is very easy to point the finger. The belief that is someone else’s fault is incredibly common. We constantly look outside for answers that can only come from within. Ironically — by looking within, you will experience a level of freedom and joy which is unparalleled. ⁣
.⁣
The simplest way to overcome self-sabotaging behaviour is to bring awareness to it. Pause, breathe and bring your attention into your body. Notice what sensations are coming up, and what repressed emotions are trying to come forward. ⁣
.⁣
Asking yourself an empowering question will only yield empowering answers. What wisdom can be learned in this moment? What is this circumstance trying to teach me? ⁣
.⁣
In every negatively perceived situation, there is always a positive opposite. The more you practice, the better you will get. What patterns are you learning to overcome?
Dan on the other hand has recently seemed in a process of acknowledging more directly how his past affected him in a meaningful way - not pointing fingers either, but it seems like Adrian is more saying "i was not able to change anything about my past, it was too much to deal with, now i am thinking positive thoughts and had to find all the strength within myself". Dan's core message seems to be "i tried to do everything by myself, but it was too fucking much, because my past was very difficult and I need to acknowledge that to move on".
and perhaps Phil has to do with that quite substantially, who knows. Not that Dan was saved, per se, but he did find someone to feel safe with relatively early on, and that helped him gain the power to look openly at his past. Adrian might have had to really rely on himself alone more, and maybe that's also why he seems a bit narcissistic now, he might have had to become that, because he really didn't have anyone else to help him.

Adrian has also a post talking about how he doesn't find it helpful to be overly attached to diagnoses - and he is quite self-aware in it i think, at least to some degree, saying that overlooking a diagnosis and not wanting to see the problems does a lot of harm as well. But still, here is again Adrian moving his own narrative away from diagnoses, while Dan focuses his attention more on them.

There are similarities also: Both talk about self-sabotaging and having to analyse that (I wonder whether Adrian read the book before he posted that post? He posted about self-sabotaging on September 12th, Dan's announcement was September 14th. no idea). Both talk about being more than a diagnosis. Both talk about gaining strength from difficult experiences.

this is all just the most unstructured essay, but I have so many thoughts about how they deal with their upbringing so differently and so similarly. and i have also thoughts about how that affects their relationship to each other, since some of their focus is so opposing.

I hope this is alright to post here, as it's quite a bit of dan analysis as well - and also, it's a huge chunk of psychoanalysis. if it's too much, let me know!
[x]
[x]
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Thanks for this post! I found it really interesting. I personally am hesitant to "psychoanalize" too hard people I don't know at all, but I think it's interesting to compare what the two brothers have said and done publicly.

We know almost nothing about their dynamic--I can think of only a tiny handful of times they have acknowledged each other (and once was Dan telling people to fuck off and not be creepy stalkers, and another was our inference that Adrian's was one of the supportive responses to Dan's coming-out email).

Being six years apart in a family makes a huge difference. I'm only four years older than my younger sibling, but we lived in pretty different worlds growning up. Now that we are adults, though, that age difference has mostly melted away, so I can certainly see the Howell brothers getting closer than they may have been growing up. And they do share a family, the way that no one else in their lives do, and that can be a source of support.

Dan was insanely lucky to get Phil in his life at 18 (and he knows it). Adrian has had to be more self-sufficient, or at least work harder to find unconditional support. I dislike Adrian's guru-like take on mental health as much as the next person, and I hope he moves beyond that. Just a fantasy: what if someday Dan and Adrian could find common ground and work on a project together? They are both smart and articulate and it could be a productive synthesis.

One other thought on Adrian: the phandom is literally one of the worst things to have happened to him. I know there is a certain amount of sneering at his piggybacking on his famous older brother's fans. I think it takes a tremenous amount of personal growth for him to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear: when a group has been harrassing you for years, and you can turn around and say "Here I am, do you want to hear what I have to say (and maybe even buy some stuff from me)?" I should think that would feel empowering. If there's ever a Deppy tell-all book, Adrian could contribute an interesting chapter.

So, that was my own ramble on the Howell brothers. :ribena:
"Why am I left-handed?"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Oohh I'm loving the analysis in this thread!!

For me, I can see where Adrian comes from as someone around the same age as him, but I think overall it's more harmful to himself and the people following him/that he's helping than anything, and that's why it's such an issue to me.

Like lefthandedism said, I think it's pretty great to make use of a traumatizing situation like he has. tbh I say more power to him for monetizing it; I just don't like the way he's doing it. It's the lack of qualifications and self-importance for me!

I guess I just hope he's able to learn and grow from this, but with the amount of people enabling him I can't see it happening any time soon, which personally I find unfortunate.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This is the kind of stuff I hate seeing from Adrian.

Have you ever had a situation where you felt so emotionally charged, but the situation itself wasn't really a big deal? There is the typical example of someone cutting you off in traffic, or someone being rude to you for no justified reason. The internal narrative kicks in, and so does the need to attack or defend. ⁣
.⁣
It's always easier to place the blame outside of us. More often than not, it's less about the situation, and more about what painful memory is being activated within you. Even with that knowledge, it's still easy to get caught up in the intensity of the emotion.⁣
.⁣
This is the value of being able to pause and step back from it. In many ways, this is where the practice of meditation can be embodied. The small gap between your perception of a situation is where you can choose how to respond — the more you practice this, the easier it gets. With time, you can be an entirely different person.
If he's talking about learn to separate rational from irrational responses to things like getting cut off in traffic, I feel like that's on a slightly different level than what the post indicates. Paired together it seems to imply that being triggered in the trauma related instances is something you that's your fault ("place the blame outside of us") and you can meditate away. Maybe this is just me having an issue with one-size-fits-all advice from influencers in the first place but it really does just feel patronizing to people with serious triggers.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I can't even think of who this would help with any kind of trigger. It's so offensive and ignorant, and ironic considering Dan is writing a mental health book with a professional...I just can't deal with the disgusting amount of priviledge this holds, and how Adrian seems to be getting more ignorant as time goes on. I worry for the people enabling him, and I worry for the young people following him, because I think that group is almost a perfectly overlapping circle.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Not to pile on (well, just a bit), but I find that post almost completely incoherent. I think in general, if you're going to be making pronouncements, and/or offer advice to help people, it's important to write clearly.

I have no idea how meditating can help me when I've been triggered.
"Why am I left-handed?"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

He made a post saying he wants to merge his two accounts into one, but asking for opinions.

My opinion is that he should, in fact, combine his content into one account, and the focus of that account should be Lena. I enjoy far more of his posts now with her sprinkled in than I did before.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

oblongdisposition wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:32 pm Idk if I should post links... she’s deleted most things from her blog anyway. Her art was very innocent. She started watching them in 2009 and she met Dan as a fan several years ago.
Quoting this here to keep the convo going bc I'm very fascinated by this interplay of Dan fan to basically Dan family member!
Levitating
#relatable

Interesting topic! :o

What strikes me the more is Adrian's distance from IRL, whether officially or behind the scenes.

I do agree that he has shown strength in his current endeavour after all past tensions surrounding his brother's fame. You do you, Adrian! ;)

Yet, as a photographer, as a self-employed person, online marketing is one of the best tools his had to build and develop his career. He knows it: he is using IG/websites etc. It seems a bit odd, to me, having a brother with so much knowledge in the field, not to look for tips from IRL/Dan's knowledge on internet culture/online marketing. He would have learned that "political correctness"/social media engagement is now essential to sell.

If he does not ask because of pride reasons, then I would just think that he is young and this may hurt Dan a bit, but <3 maybe that upbringing is exactly what prevents him from going past through these pride issues (or whatever they are). After all, Dan does not talk greatly of their dad. They must have suffered :rainbowtears:

Glad they are, in their own way, working on their issues!
alien
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:19 pm
oblongdisposition wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:32 pm Idk if I should post links... she’s deleted most things from her blog anyway. Her art was very innocent. She started watching them in 2009 and she met Dan as a fan several years ago.
Quoting this here to keep the convo going bc I'm very fascinated by this interplay of Dan fan to basically Dan family member!
this is hysterical. i wonder if dan has any idea.

i'd also be interested to know how all this came out. i'm assuming people saw the pictures of her on instagram and recognized her from tumblr? but i'm just curious in how it actually happened lmao.
oblongdisposition
dank meme
Pronouns: She/her

People on twitter had found her but idk how, she had quite a popular blog though. She got noticed by Dan and Phil and had her art used by them. I think she might’ve stalked Dan outside the bbc though :?
I’m curious to know how they met now. I wonder if it was through adrian’s coaching?
casualsun
delia smith

Sooo... was Adrian’s girlfriend a massive fan of dnp or a casual one? I’m guessing if she drew fanart she was a pretty big fan. And she probs recognized Adrian when she met bc he looks so similar to Dan. So many questions. Like when did they meet, how did they, did Adrian know her fan status? Has she met Dan?
Levitating
#relatable

Mostly, how reliable is that source? she looks pretty young!
Philena
blobfish

I'm really curious about this, too. I remember she had at least been friends/mutuals with Amie-Rose Foster, who is Adrian's friend (and possible ex?), and now they no longer follow each other on insta, as far as I can tell. Seems like there was some connection from the art world though.
oblongdisposition
dank meme
Pronouns: She/her

casualsun wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:10 pm Sooo... was Adrian’s girlfriend a massive fan of dnp or a casual one? I’m guessing if she drew fanart she was a pretty big fan. And she probs recognized Adrian when she met bc he looks so similar to Dan. So many questions. Like when did they meet, how did they, did Adrian know her fan status? Has she met Dan?
It seems like she was pretty involved in the phandom. Plus people recognize her as being one of the girls who would wait outside the bbc (she also posted a pic)