Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

actualsoulmates wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:51 am Dan is going to be part of an event for SDG Action Zone on the 24th!

https://sdgactionzone.org/class/a-new-g ... 1600940700

lefthandedism wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:40 am The text on the webpage linked above:
Daniel Howell
Writer and Comedian

For 10 years he has written and produced comedy videos on YouTube that have gained over 1 billion views and millions of followers, along with an award winning BBC Radio 1 show, #1 New York Times Best Selling Book and two stage shows with sellout world tours. Known for his self-deprecating and sarcastic humour, Dan has also spoken about his real struggles with depression and sexuality and it is this mix of entertainment with the profound and deeply personal that has given Dan a devoted following of fans - as well as becoming an activist and ambassador for the Royal Foundation charity Young Minds.
Dan has firmly left "YouTuber" behind. Now that he has multiple book writing credentials, he can say he's a writer and comedian who happens to have written comedy for YouTube. I think it's not just rebranding, but claiming the essential aspects of his art. Writers can write in any medium and comedy can be part of any artistic output. I say good for him.
I'm definitely happy for him. Regardless of if he ever decides to make videos on youtube again (which it sounded like there will be some aspect of that, based on his tweets) he deserves to have more to define himself. Not because youtube isn't a career all on its own, but because most of us in our lives have had a chance to do something besides what we started doing at eighteen. I'm just so thrilled and proud of him in this part of his life/career.
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Phanshy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:14 pm Can I finally get a Dab and Evan wedding please, even without Dan and Phil on screen would be fine , even without their voices just a few minutes of montage footage of their wedding I hate that it's unresolved.
I don't know about you but I am waiting til 2022. Now, if nothing happens then... I will definitely be very disappointed.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

If joint content were back on the table right now, what would you actually want next?

Halloween baking? A throwback gaming video? A mukbang where Dan talks about his book?

Or would you rather have a solo Dan video?
casualsun
delia smith

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:21 pm If joint content were back on the table right now, what would you actually want next?

Halloween baking? A throwback gaming video? A mukbang where Dan talks about his book?

I honestly just want to see content that they want to produce. Something like halloween baking doesn’t feel right for who they are anymore imo. I would love to see them playing a crash bandicoot-style video game that’s nostalgic and actually something they enjoy playing. And with no pressure to be funny or classic dapg, just themselves. And I would love a mukbang where they can talk semi-candidly.

I don’t generally love solo Dan content but I would really enjoy a video about his book!
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

casualsun wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:38 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:21 pm If joint content were back on the table right now, what would you actually want next?

I honestly just want to see content that they want to produce. Something like halloween baking doesn’t feel right for who they are anymore imo. I would love to see them playing a crash bandicoot-style video game that’s nostalgic and actually something they enjoy playing. And with no pressure to be funny or classic dapg, just themselves. And I would love a mukbang where they can talk semi-candidly.

I don’t generally love solo Dan content but I would really enjoy a video about his book!
I agree, and mukbang would be great. Something chill, where they talk about what they want.
I always want what they want to do but I was quite sad when we didn't have another mukbang last October. I was really looking forward to them doing it again :cry:
And concerning solo content vs joint content... I love Dan's videos but a dnp video can keep me happy for weeks and there is nothing I want more so...
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I would love another mukbang. That was such a good video. Or something where Phil “interviews” Dan about his book. Maybe even an AmazingPhil video with Dan like another viewers choose my outfits or soulmate picks my outfits.

Of course, Devan wedding would be lovely. Or a Dan gaming video where he enthuses over a game like his Pokémon video.

Back to reality, I’m really looking forward to Dan’s panel. I love intellectual Dan. Youtube panels weren’t usually my favorite, whereas other interviews and panels they’ve done have been some of my favorite content.

Top choices: mukbang with many dips and joint liveshow.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Honestly I would be fine with pretty much anything, and like Casualsun said, what they would want and enjoy making would be my top wish.

I could see halloween baking being fun or something like gaming, since both kind of give them something to do if they didn't want as much pressure on to talk about more in depth things. I think with gaming, it would give a lot of choice of what sort of energy level they wanted based on the game they played, somehow I just don't see Dan having as much of his big, yelling energy (not none, just a little more subdued) anymore, but maybe that's just 'cause we haven't seen him like that in so long. I will always loving baking/cooking content so I do dream of that, but I could imagine them having a little bit more trouble figuring out where they wanted their energy in compared to past ones. Maybe they could do something autumn themed and not explicitly halloween themed since they're fucking saps for the season but 'autumn' is a little more of a chill vibe than 'halloween'.

(I don't see this ever happening but I'm putting it out there, I would be so fucking happy with a chill, just like cooking dinner, domestic-ass video. Fuck. I go watch that old cooking younow of Dan's sometimes and it's one of my favourite soft, cheer me up videos)

If they did want to have more of a chat, I would love that too! The mukbang format suits that a lot better, giving some sort of thing to be doing, but that doesn't need to be focused on for the majority of the time, giving space to talk about other things.

Also while it's not proper joint content perhaps, if Dan is still wanting to stick behind the camera I would willingly sell my soul for a Viewers Choose My Outfits 2, quiff and gay edition. There's so much from that I would like to see, Phil trying things out with his post-2018 confidence, quiff based looks, maybe more experimental clothes that he might have felt uncomfortable with before and I NEED Phil in one of those silly-ass, MacDoesIt style cheap rainbow costumes to compliment the cheese dress. Maybe I've thought about this too much.

The other night I fully had a dream that I found an old joint video that I hadn't watched for some reason and it was like a full 30mins of solid bants that I'd somehow missed out on. Needless to say I woke up disappointed. :(

EDIT: You know fucking what I really want?? Since Dan may never get around to making a scented candle haul for his side channel, I would like a joint one on Phil's channel.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I would really love the gaming channel to come back but I don't really see joint content in the foreseeable future because I don't think Dan wants to be seen like that anymore, I'm probably being very pessimistic just because I held on to it just being a temporary hiatus and nothing would change way longer than I should have. They could do something completely different like a podcast but again I don't even know what that would look like at this point. I think it would depend on what Dan plans on doing after the book.
I can't see any joint content related to Dan's book just because it would be difficult to discuss without going more in to their relationship than they want to do, I think Dan would find it easier to discuss it with a interviewer he doesn't know or by himself than with Phil.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I’d like to see something - light-hearted? From them together. (As Phil’s content is usually like that, which is why I appreciate it so much.) As excellent and important as Dan’s last few videos and upcoming book are, I do miss the times when they were also accompanied by content that was a bit less hard-hitting. Don’t get me wrong, I love his ‘thought-provoking’ videos, and i’m sure that’s more the sort of thing he *wants* to make and as such, what he should be focussing on. And it’s not like they’re not still funny, in part … but sometimes I miss the pure enjoyment of watching them simply play a game and bant, or mess around with food or clothes or whatever, without a side-order of being emotionally crushed.

Though I think he perhaps might consider that sort of thing ‘fluff’ nowadays. (I happen to like fluff! Bring on the fluff!) I don’t think he necessarily considers his old content, or content of that kind, ‘beneath’ him now (though maybe he does? Who knows), rather that he’s simply wanting to do other stuff, but I miss it just the same, especially as I don’t believe it will ever return (joint content, I mean). I can’t imagine what a joint video would be like now, but if there were to be one I’d like to see something along the lines of the mukbang/a joint live show, even if not those things specifically - a casual, chatty catch-up with them both. But, I think it’s just been too long, and any such things of that nature would probably be separate now, more’s the pity.

(But in pie-in-the-sky fantasy land, I would love to see a new seasonal vid of some kind from them both, maybe on AmazingPhil; doesn’t have to be baking, similarly to how they did pumpkin carving in 2018, just something relaxed and fun.)

I also wonder what happened to Phil’s liveshows. They returned in September last year after a very long hiatus, so here’s hoping we might get another surprise this year. Or maybe he just doesn’t want to do them any more and is shifting towards something to do with more quizzes?
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Personally my fantasy video right now would be 'a day in the life of dan writing a book' with, in a role reversal from the norm of late, cameraman Phil.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Dan + Phil DITL OR baking video would be my choice. But I would NOT say no to that Devan wedding finally happening now that they're both out.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

plinthofmylife wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:36 pm Dan + Phil DITL OR baking video would be my choice. But I would NOT say no to that Devan wedding finally happening now that they're both out.
But, but....you've got the mukbang in your icon--which is what would be my choice. :pizza: :ribena:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I am just now reading about this SDG Actionzone panel, and I'm super impressed that it's somehow connected to the United Nations and has some higher-up YouTube and UN peeps on the panel too. Can anyone put this event into context for me? Is Dan being on this panel a big deal?
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

lefthandedism wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:47 pm But, but....you've got the mukbang in your icon--which is what would be my choice. :ribena:
That is really true, it is probably my favorite joint video of all time (especially because it came out right as I was getting off a tour myself so I had a lot of similar feels).

It's a little less light-hearted, though, and I feel like it might get too ~~ deep ~~ compared to coming back with a fluffy baking video. Right now, what I need is some fluff. In fact, we watched the pumpkin carving video last night due to a need for some fluff.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Megancita75 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:47 pm Can anyone put this event into context for me? Is Dan being on this panel a big deal?
I would say it's a medium-deal. They always get some Jazzy Hip names for these UN development/future goals, and they mix in the wonks and dignitaries with pop stars and youtubers, etc. It's sort of like how Google will bring in Lizzo to talk about digital media and body positivity or something. Kind of a fun anchor for the more dull stuff that is still a person who can speak in an informed way about the topic.

It's rad for Dan to be part of it, and definitely required some legwork on the part of his agent or manager most likely to get this deal. Definitely to be celebrated as he gets acknowledged for the stuff he's built.
kavat
pastel persona

I find it interesting that Dan hasn't acknowledged the event himself? Maybe he will tweet about it on the day but being in a UN affiliated event is not only great bragging rights but also good book promo.
Judearaya
sofa crease

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:11 pm Personally my fantasy video right now would be 'a day in the life of dan writing a book' with, in a role reversal from the norm of late, cameraman Phil.
I also would LOVE this. If they're thinking of trying to do low-stakes or the frog boiling method of joint content return, another one where Phil's viewers dress him (omg the gay quiff version! IDK who said that bc I am not feeling well but yes!!!)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 am I find it interesting that Dan hasn't acknowledged the event himself? Maybe he will tweet about it on the day but being in a UN affiliated event is not only great bragging rights but also good book promo.
Strictly speculation/a theory and not at all something I'm saying I know is true, of Dan but I'll still throw it out there: I wonder if things like that aren't partially just nerves for him. Sometimes it's easier to feel like you're talking to strangers? At least for me. It's weird because like, I can't answer the phone when someone I know is in the room but I used to do temp office work regularly and I have no problem doing reception work and answering a phone all day.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Greg Brown from ASAP Science is on the panel too and I haven't seen him tweet about it. Maybe they have instructions on when and how to publicize on their own social media.

As for joint content, I expect voice cameos to continue but nothing more. I really think they are committed to establishing more solo careers, which I'm fine with.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I think we may get another video with dan’s voice but I don’t really think joint content will ever be back. I’m okay with that as long as we do get to see interactions between them like we have been.

Since we’re talking about what if’s though the only joint content I really miss is spooky week. I’d love even one spooky video from them
inanerat
eclipse shirt

Judearaya wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:05 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:11 pm Personally my fantasy video right now would be 'a day in the life of dan writing a book' with, in a role reversal from the norm of late, cameraman Phil.
I also would LOVE this. If they're thinking of trying to do low-stakes or the frog boiling method of joint content return, another one where Phil's viewers dress him (omg the gay quiff version! IDK who said that bc I am not feeling well but yes!!!)
This made me laugh really hard, a few weeks ago the frog boiling story came into my head and I made the analogy that we are the frogs and deppy are slowly boiling us alive in the phan waters and my brain has not been able to let go of it.
Judearaya
sofa crease

inanerat wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:25 pm
Judearaya wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:05 pm
This made me laugh really hard, a few weeks ago the frog boiling story came into my head and I made the analogy that we are the frogs and deppy are slowly boiling us alive in the phan waters and my brain has not been able to let go of it.
And I thank you from the bottom of my heart for it because I haven't been able to let it go either! I feel like such a frog man, and this is my first time going through this kind of phandom moment, so i'm an overwhelmed and bewildered frog too, LOL
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil it's late why are you so active!
inanerat
eclipse shirt

Foot S O C K C O N T E N T

Also you can see quite a bit of the dining table and kitchen windows in the reflection in that story?? Phil u need to go to bed.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Guys, the more I think about it, the more excited I am about this SDG panel. I won't't watch live because it's like at 4 a.m. my time, but I hope to catch a recording. I am curious about which Dan we'll see and about what he has to say, and about more mundane things about how a panel like this will work in Covid times. But also I'm just so stoked to see him stretch in new ways and a little nervous for him. I'm also very interested in hearing from Greg Brown, since I've recently started following him on social media and find him to be very funny and thoughtful and his science angle is often refreshing to me, as a non-science person.

Do you think people on panels like this get a heads up about what the talking points might be, or is it a "wing it" type of situation?