Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Megancita75 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:50 pm Guys, the more I think about it, the more excited I am about this SDG panel. I won't't watch live because it's like at 4 a.m. my time, but I hope to catch a recording. I am curious about which Dan we'll see and about what he has to say, and about more mundane things about how a panel like this will work in Covid times. But also I'm just so stoked to see him stretch in new ways and a little nervous for him. I'm also very interested in hearing from Greg Brown, since I've recently started following him on social media and find him to be very funny and thoughtful and his science angle is often refreshing to me, as a non-science person.

Do you think people on panels like this get a heads up about what the talking points might be, or is it a "wing it" type of situation?
I popped in on another panel today to make sure I knew how to watch Dan’s. It wasn’t very panel-like. One person on screen at a time with the moderator asking questions to each panelist. The one I saw had definitely prepared her answer ahead of time. It was like a bad youtube video. It was also very serious. I am curious if Dan will include humor. Much to my dismay, there is a Twitter feed for asking questions. I kind of hope they don’t have that for Dan’s. So cringe the way some were spamming the Shakespeare thing Dan did. Maybe that’s why Dan hasn’t promoted it. Some of his fans are so embarrassing. I am very excited for this though! I think I enjoy “serious” Dan quite a bit more than “stand up comedian “ Dan like the story of how he didn’t run a marathon. He tries to strike a balance, which was perfection in BIG. Some authors used to do book readings as promo. I wish he’d do something like that, but kind of riff on it. I’m rambling.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Sorry for the double post. Just stumbled across this. It’s about the ice cube tweet, which is old news and maybe they’re just making the backlash out to be a bigger deal than it was. I don’t know. I’m not on Twitter much.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:25 am Sorry for the double post. Just stumbled across this. It’s about the ice cube tweet, which is old news and maybe they’re just making the backlash out to be a bigger deal than it was. I don’t know. I’m not on Twitter much.
As someone that’s on twitter all day everyday, I never saw this AT ALL. And if it did I would say it was a joke or a select few. It’s just another way to try and make the phandom out to be something their not and I would not trust Alex as far as I could throw him. Not after lying about what dan said in his coming out video. “Dan actually said this has ruined his relationships” WHERE DID DAN SAY THAt?? sorry... I still haven’t gotten over that.
firsttimeposter
living flop

My country uses military time so I somehow thought it would’ve already happened now - so it’s 9:45 pm not am lmao?
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

No it's am, but apparently the time is in EST timezone which might have been obvious to some people but there's no indication of timezone on that Instagram post where Dan was announced so my mind immediately went "yep, British time"

Oh how I wish organization would start thinking about putting indication for more than 1 timezone and not just US times, but I digress.

This is where the live stream is taking place, there's no countdown but it's 1.45pm GMT (and from the program it seems like it will last about 2 hours? I was expecting half of that!)
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
tipofmemory
dank meme
Pronouns: she/they

firsttimeposter wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:53 am My country uses military time so I somehow thought it would’ve already happened now - so it’s 9:45 pm not am lmao?
Pretty sure it's 9:45am EST!

Edit: what liola said! :)

Also, it only goes for 45 minutes. The info's here: https://sdgactionzone.org/class/a-new-g ... 1600940700
liola
rankussy

tipofmemory wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:22 am
firsttimeposter wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:53 am My country uses military time so I somehow thought it would’ve already happened now - so it’s 9:45 pm not am lmao?
Pretty sure it's 9:45am EST!

Edit: what liola said! :)

Also, it only goes for 45 minutes. The info's here: https://sdgactionzone.org/class/a-new-g ... 1600940700
Oh you're right! I looked the program up here and my mind saw that the box where the panel is linked stretched across the other hours so I was like yep, lasts 2 hours :roll:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

liola wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:22 am No it's am, but apparently the time is in EST timezone which might have been obvious to some people but there's no indication of timezone on that Instagram post where Dan was announced so my mind immediately went "yep, British time"

Oh how I wish organization would start thinking about putting indication for more than 1 timezone and not just US times, but I digress.

This is where the live stream is taking place, there's no countdown but it's 1.45pm GMT (and from the program it seems like it will last about 2 hours? I was expecting half of that!)
Actually, it's 9:45am EDT (Eastern Daylight Time), not 9:45am EST (Eastern Standard Time)--the East Coast of the US is still on Daylight Time!

So yeah, definitely confusing. It always helps to give two time zones, I think, such as East Coast-West Coast (three hours apart) or East Coast-London (five hours apart), then people have more clues to get it right. :tu:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. It's a Dan!
alien
procrastinator

It was good to see Dan! I've always thought he looked so boyish in the face but this year he's looking more and more like a grown man, to me, which is lovely.

I didn't really gain anything from the panel other than it's nice to see hopeful people being hopeful.

I missed the opening so I don't know how it was introduced but the two other people on the panel are youtubers who are actively making youtube content. Then there's Dan who hasn't been on the platform in over a year...I don't mean anything by it other than I hope for more Dan youtube content *puts on clown makeup*
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alien wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:01 pm It was good to see Dan! I've always thought he looked so boyish in the face but this year he's looking more and more like a grown man, to me, which is lovely.

I didn't really gain anything from the panel other than it's nice to see hopeful people being hopeful.

I missed the opening so I don't know how it was introduced but the two other people on the panel are youtubers who are actively making youtube content. Then there's Dan who hasn't been on the platform in over a year...I don't mean anything by it other than I hope for more Dan youtube content *puts on clown makeup*
I'd also love to know how they reached out to Dan. I don't think he fit as well on the panel as the other two people there. I don't think he had as much to contribute or add to the specific questions asked, compared to Mitch or the other panelist. He made a couple good points (like how his book is personal stories underlined by professionally verified information) but overall he didn't have much new to say or add. I think, in my fully acknowledged Dan bias, that Dan would have done a lot better and made more coherent points if it hadn't been a split conversation and he was either dealing with direct audience interaction (which he EXCELS at) or a panel host that was more familiar with his work. But since this wasn't a panel about Dan, I'm not gonna judge by those standards, it had a specific topic and my tough-love critique is just that I wish Dan had some more constructive and specific things to say. I appreciate the 'listen to the kids' thing but like, that's so vague.

But re: him being called a youtuber, I think in the overall scope of things he won't stop being a 'youtuber' until he's better known for something else, and that's not at all uncommon. Chris Colfer from Glee hasn't acted in years, he's a writer and has been nothing but a writer for half a decade now... but he's still 'Chris Colfer from Glee' in the eyes of most people. I think it's just a Thing that you'll be known for the most popular/famous thing you've done until you do something else a little more popular/famous.

It was so fucking nice to see him, though. Like, so nice. I miss his moving-in-action face.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It seems like the company reached out to influencers to help them ‘own their audience’ so the quiz really may have just been a random thing. 😭 to my dreams of a phil game show
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I’m so owned by Phil!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

:o
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm enjoying this Among Us stream so much.

(It's good to know that you can never really take the furry out of Phil, too.)
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I havnt been able to watch any of the stream but does anyone know if someone has been recording this? And might upload it. I know we had no warning so it’s a slim chance but Phil :happytears:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

If it makes anyone who's not tuning in feel any better... there's nothing really significant happening here. Phil's mic'd - no video - and his comments are exclusively game related. At best, it's just a lovely way to hear Phil's game banter. But we're not about to get anything juicy out of this. :lol:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

rizzo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:34 pm If it makes anyone who's not tuning in feel any better... there's nothing really significant happening here. Phil's mic'd - no video - and his comments are exclusively game related. At best, it's just a lovely way to hear Phil's game banter. But we're not about to get anything juicy out of this. :lol:
Ohhh I see. I just saw a lot of peoples comment on Twitter so just assumed Phil was on screen. I don’t even know if that’s a thing haha that’s too bad but hey people seem to be having fun watching
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Just dropping the link to their archived videos here - it looks like all of them are automatically saved so anyone missing it can just view there!
Judearaya
sofa crease

I'm enjoing this twitch stream so much just as background? I don't generally keep things with people talking on while I'm working but since they're playing the same game over and over it's easy. I've also been drawn into two of them going at each other hard in accusing each other of the murders. Phil's voice is nice, and I love how for a while no one wanted to kill him bc he's too precious but generally I'm enjoying this.

I enjoyed the pannel that Dan was on, but having accidentally watched the one before it, it was, in general, not quiet as great. I think though partly this is a time thing, I think they could have dug deeper into the idea of influencers and their reach etc. IDK. I still liked it, I do like that Dan is poised in these situations in the sense that I'd be falling apart. I didn't have terrifically high expectations of this pannel in the first place so I'm content with having seen his face, with my newfound desire to have him do a ted talk, and also I appreciated what he had to say about the importance of personal narrative and story and how he also felt like it was only responsible to have a trained expert be a part of the process with the book.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

That Twitch stream was so fun! Phil just hanging out with people and being himself is great. I’d be happy with him streaming or even just guessing on other peoples streams because even without seeing his face he’s so charming.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:12 pm Just dropping the link to their archived videos here - it looks like all of them are automatically saved so anyone missing it can just view there!
I've just been informed that they will only stick around for a couple months max! So we'll make sure to save it and get it put on youtube before it disappears from there.
kavat
pastel persona

The panel can be found here:

Starts at 17.30

It was nice to see his face, being all smiley and nice. It didn't give me much new insights or information but it was nice none the less.

It kind of reminded me of that random panel he did for a car company a few years ago, basically just him saying "listen to the kids, they are the future".
Last edited by lefthandedism on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made video visible!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Thanks for putting up both streams. A murder game sounds fun! And I like the idea of just hearing Phil's voice and seeing how he interacts with other folks. I kinda feel like this is a bit of Project Sphere, too, having some low-key friendships with other people.
Last edited by Megancita75 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

That stream was super fun! tysm for posting it on here, otherwise I would've missed it!

Archived stream vods usually stay up on twitch for a while, so someone should be able to download/record them and upload to YT for people to have a long term place to watch it.

It was really enjoyable for me, since more gaming heavy videos and twitch are most of what I watch, it just feels like home with added Phil lol. It was also fun so see Phil in a new environment, navigating a game with people, he definitely seemed a little nervous but he did pretty well. He won a round as imposter too, getting quite a few kills!

I'm glad I asked if he was doing his tasks in chat so Arden could remind him in dead chat, I KNEW he would be zoning out while dead not realizing/remembering he still had to do his jobs ffs Phil. Also I didn't realize but I've inherited so many sayings from deppy? I was about to call someone a sneaky weasel in chat and then Phil said it and I was like,, oh,, I really just speak Phil now.

I was having a low day but now I have energy? Is this what serotonin feels like?? Also this has quenched my Phil thirst slightly but it has been 12 days since a viddy and while I enjoyed his last two vids they were a bit fluffier/less rewatchable, I am hungry for some meaty content.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart: