Asian TV Thread

akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

I know some of you like Kpop so i think maybe you guys also like Korean tv drama?

And other Asian TV shows of course. ;)
blueapple_x
flower crown

I've watched the Taiwanese drama 'It started with a kiss' and loved it. So naturally I watched the sequel but it wasn't as good imo.

Also watched Devil Beside You, and the Korean adaptation to 'It started with a kiss', but didn't like it as much as the original lol.

Got any good recs? I've been meaning to get back into watching dramas (and anime).
IzzySmi
crusty sponge

Ahem, please excuse the list of very cliche teen Asian dramas. In no particular order..

Japanese:
Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen
Nobuta wo Produce
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (2007 version)
Ouran High School Host Club
Yamada and the seven witches
Tokyo Dogs (I must admit, I mainly watched this for Mizushima Hiro)
Anything with Arashi

Crows Zero
Rurouni Kenshin

Korean:
The Innocent Man
Coffee Prince
Boys over Flowers
Personal Taste
Goong
My girlfriend is a Gumiho
My love from the star
You're beautiful
Sungkyunkwan Scandal (Song Joong Ki & Yoo Ah In )

I know I've forgotten half of them, ah well.
swofro
angel bean
Pronouns: she/her

Taiwanese:
the one with Chen Qiao En and Ming Dao as leads.
-Ying ye 3 + 1
-Prince turns to frog
-Let's dance

Japanese:
The one with Yamapi as lead. Lol. But they are all good.
-Nobuta wo produce
-Kurosagi
-Proposal Daisakusen
-Code Blue
-Buzzer Beat

Non-yamapi
-Atashinichi no danshi

Korean:
Heart strings
Love is forever
icklebrina
living flop

I just finished watching Pinocchio (Korean) literally just finished, maybe an hour ago and rather enjoyed it.

Some others I've enjoyed: which will probably give you insight into me as a person, haha
School 2013
City Hunter
Sungkyunkwan Scandal
I Hear Your Voice
Coffee Prince
The King 2 Hearts
Master's Sun
Queen In Hyun's Man

So far I've only really watched K-Dramas, one of these days I should totally branch out!
ayane
squish

IzzySmi wrote:Ahem, please excuse the list of very cliche teen Asian dramas. In no particular order..

Japanese:
Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen
Nobuta wo Produce
Anything with Arashi
no way. you are me from the past. *cough* ohmiya *cough*
and to mizushima hiro
(lol, did you ever see mei-chan no shitsuji?)
swofro wrote: Japanese:
The one with Yamapi as lead. Lol. But they are all good.
-Nobuta wo produce
-Kurosagi
-Proposal Daisakusen
-Code Blue
-Buzzer Beat
you are also me from the past *gasp*
akui
blobfish

Just want to say… i recommend a old hong kong tv show called my date with a vampire… Better than Buffy.
swofro
angel bean

ayane maybe you just need to rekindle your love of yamapi. *cheeky wink

There is also another Taiwanese drama with Chen Qiao En and Ming Dao as lead, with feudal background, I think, but I haven't check them out at all because laziness and me moving on from shipping them so much. Lol.

But seriously, if you love detective story, Ying Ye 3 + 1. :D
Love is forever
IzzySmi
crusty sponge

ayane wrote:
IzzySmi wrote:Ahem, please excuse the list of very cliche teen Asian dramas. In no particular order..

Japanese:
Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen
Nobuta wo Produce
Anything with Arashi
no way. you are me from the past. *cough* ohmiya *cough*
and to mizushima hiro
(lol, did you ever see mei-chan no shitsuji?)
Yes I loved that, I knew i'd missed out quite a few. Mizushima Hiro is gorgeous
Unfortunately it's Sakumoto for me, why must my ship have zero fanservice :(
kooshka
living flop

I used to watch soooo many Japanese dramas, but then I just couldn't find any new interesting series to watch. :x I looove high school romance stuff, my favourites are HanaKimi, Hana yori dango and Nobuta wo Produce... which are all kinda old. I'd be glad to take any recs on newer series like that. I've been mostly sticking to shoujo movie live actions, it seems like they make more those nowadays lol. Korean ones are also welcome! I never really got into KD, the series my friends have recommended seemed just too long.

My fav actors are MatsuJun, Haruma Miura and the ever so lovely Kiko Mizuhara! She's so gorgeous and pretty. I hated the chocolatier series with her and MatsuJun, but I had to watch it just for those two. :D
ayane
squish

swofro wrote:ayane maybe you just need to rekindle your love of yamapi. *cheeky wink
daite daite daite seni-*cough*
IzzySmi wrote:Yes I loved that, I knew i'd missed out quite a few. Mizushima Hiro is gorgeous
Unfortunately it's Sakumoto for me, why must my ship have zero fanservice :(
awww, that's unfortunate :(
there's like zero sakumoto fanservice
I'm mostly just partial to nino, the sarcastic little shit
kooshka wrote:I used to watch soooo many Japanese dramas, but then I just couldn't find any new interesting series to watch. :x I looove high school romance stuff, my favourites are HanaKimi, Hana yori dango and Nobuta wo Produce... which are all kinda old. I'd be glad to take any recs on newer series like that. I've been mostly sticking to shoujo movie live actions, it seems like they make more those nowadays lol. Korean ones are also welcome! I never really got into KD, the series my friends have recommended seemed just too long.

My fav actors are MatsuJun, Haruma Miura and the ever so lovely Kiko Mizuhara! She's so gorgeous and pretty. I hated the chocolatier series with her and MatsuJun, but I had to watch it just for those two. :D
I'd make recommendations but I'm mostly in the same boat. i haven't watched anything later than like 2012. I should get back on that tbh. I can go digging through my hard drive to find the list of stuff i did watch though. I watched so, so many.

(but if you haven't seen mei-chan no shitsuji, please watch that. or read the manga. it's hilarious)
yonahime
glabella

does this thread include anime? lol i dont watch many live action dramas. Last time i watch a J-movie it was a live action adaptation of a manga and anime of the same name: Assassination Classroom starring Yamada Ryosuke. Part 2 of the movie is showing now, i think.
madmadmad
drama llama

Japanese variety shows I recommend shabekuri 007

As for Japanese drama: (i also like miura haruma )
Legal High
My Boss My Hero
Samurai High School
Kazoku Game
etc

As for newer recommendations: Gisou no Fuufu and Never let me go seems interesting so far. Ouroboros was kinda good too for fans of the old Hana Kimi combo.
IzzySmi
crusty sponge

Japanese variety shows:
VS Arashi
Arashi Ni Shiyagare
Tensai! Shimura Doubutsuen

Cancelled shows:
Arashi no shukudai kun (anyone watched this before?)
Himitsu No Arashi chan
Cartoon Kat Tun

Anything including Harisenbon or Morisanchuu.

Korean:
Running Man (I personally love this one )
Infinity Challenge (especially the mustic festival episodes)
Star King

Cancelled shows:
Strong Heart
Family Outing
X man
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

I haven't really watched that many Japanese Dramas, I think Itazura Na Kiss and Nobuta Wo Produce are the only ones :?

I used to watch a lot of Taiwanese dramas but then just lost the interest, I binged watched a bunch with Mike He, Rainie Yang, Joe Cheng and Ariel Lin. Pretty mainstream I guess? Idk, I never really got that invested with them.

As for Korean dramas, I've watched tons since I was like 10 years old, the most dramatic ones with Choi Ji Woo and then I discovered other ones. The most recent one I've watched is Heartstrings, I love Jung Yong Hwa

Personal Taste and You're Beautiful are sooo good too!

And ngl, I watch a lot of them because the guys are so hot. Total tween mentality here but Idgaf
aosagi
tol bean

There are so many dramas mentioned here that I watched years ago. My favorites were probably hana kimi and nobuta wo produce.
And since I read the name Haruma Miura a few times but not this recommendation: Bloody Monday it's really good and definitely worth watching!!

I used to watch Korean dramas, but they get so repetitive after some time.
akui
blobfish

As a kid who basically grown up watching japanese tv show, here is my list

Kabachitare (this one has fetus Yama P)
- A legal comedy about two women who have different ideology about life become friends. (Basically the first ever feminism show I've ever watched)

Long Love Letter~Hyoryu Kyoshitsu (this one also have Yama P)
- One day after a strong earth quake, a bunch of students and teachers were sent to the dystopian future, and they have to find a way to survive... (drama, thriller, not too scifi)

Stand Up!! ( yes yama P also in this one, and nino from arashi)
- Four 17 yr boys try to lose their virginity during summer holiday. (Sex comedy, lot's of lols)

Trick (no yama p, soz)
- A magician and a physical professor travel together to find out the truth about phychics and superpowers. (It's hard to describe this show in one sentences, because this is the best, the deepest, the funniest Japanes drama of all time.)

Doctor-X
- A lonewolf female surgeon who doesn't play by the rules joins the most bureaucratic, most corrupted hospital of japan. (So full of drama, and hilarious as well)

Unubore deka (ikuta toma is in it)
- A police detective only falls in love with female murder suspects. (comedy)

Papa to musume no nanakakan
- A middle aged dad suddenly swaps his body with his teenager daughter! (comedy)

Tamiou
- The prime minister of Japan suddenly swaps his body with his problematic son. (Comedy as well, sorry for all the body swapping but it's really good)

Gomenne Seishun
- In a small town, a boy school and a catholic girl school tries to merge so they set up a class to experiment. (comedy)

I also like Legal High, gokusen and code blue. There are probably more that I forgot cuz i watched soooo muuuuch!!!
ayane
squish

IzzySmi wrote:Japanese variety shows:
VS Arashi
Arashi Ni Shiyagare
Tensai! Shimura Doubutsuen

Cancelled shows:
Arashi no shukudai kun (anyone watched this before?)
Himitsu No Arashi chan
Cartoon Kat Tun
your posts are making me want to try and catch up with arashi again. it's been a few years....

i miss arashi no shukudai kun

Edit: i dug up that list of dramas i used to watch

yasashi jikan
maou
last friends
ryuusei no kizuna
yamada taro monogatari
yamato nadeshiko shichi henge
bloody monday (although, i didn't finish it...i think i was just falling out of interest at the time)

and i recommend watching ao no honou if you can get your hands on it
IzzySmi
crusty sponge

ayane wrote:
your posts are making me want to try and catch up with arashi again. it's been a few years....

:o Does this mean you've seen the original ep where Aiba introduced the invisible mirror man challenge?
Where Nino and the guest couldn't keep their composure during filming?! Pleaseee say you've seen that one!

Arashi are fab, you should definitely catch up with them! :D
ayane
squish

IzzySmi wrote:
ayane wrote:

:o Does this mean you've seen the original ep where Aiba introduced the invisible mirror man challenge?
Where Nino and the guest couldn't keep their composure during filming?! Pleaseee say you've seen that one!

Arashi are fab, you should definitely catch up with them! :D
I think I have? I'm not sure though. It's been at least 5 years since I paid attention to arashi. (lol, do you remember which episode it was? my memory is blanking)

Were you poking around the lj sub communities? man, I miss those days. I went back and checked some of those groups and I think quite a few have died.

edit: wait. yes! i have. omg, when did that happen? ugh...my arashi memory is abysmal right now :(