Dan & Phil Part 99: OnlyPhans

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dontpanic
#relatable

glitterintheair wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:08 pm A Dan nomination would have been ridiculous because he hasn’t created anything in the past year. Like, you can’t nominate someone as a lgbt influencer just because they’re gay, they have to actually create content, lmao.
I saw Rose and Rosie’s reaction on IG too and it was genuine surprise and considering they’re the most honest content creators i follow, I tend to believe them.
while I agree with you, most of these "pay for nomination" things, it's actually paying to be considered for nomination (a lot of industry awards are like this, although I don't know at all if this one is). so even if they paid something, they could still be genuinely surprised and it wouldnt be dishonest imo. I

that said, think there's so little competition for this award show that there wouldn't be any application/fee. it's usually shows/companies that have a lot of people who'd be eligible for the awards

Templeofshame wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:45 pm I have plenty critical to say about these British LGBT Awards (mostly the claim that Gottmik is the first trans queen on Drag Race, when she is very obviously the first trans man on Drag Race and nowhere near the first trans queen) but it doesn't look anything like the BONCAs? It's not focused on internet media, it's been happening for several years without any connection to D&P that I've heard; if it was rigged like that, wouldn't Dan have gotten a nom for BIG? Personally I voted for Abigail Thorn over Phil for contribution of queer content, but I don't see why Phil wouldn't deserve the nom (and obviously if Dan had been nominated it would have been ridiculous, or it would have had to be in a category for people who just exist on social media being queer).

Wait it looks like it's run by a big bank?? And the CEO is a straight white woman who relates to LGBT struggles because she grew up in Africa and was bullied for being white????? Okay yeah this is pretty damn weird.
absolutely not surprised. I mean, if pride is now co-opted by corporations why shouldn't LGBT awards be run by big bands and someone who I'd bet actual money believes in reverse racism.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

Now that their website's back up, I see that they nominate a bunch of celebrities and people with fanbases for attention, and then the categories that aren't up for public vote are literally for major corporations. I guess so that big corporations can say they were nominated for an award for how inclusive they are?
obvsly
#relatable

oh no.... did the National Student Pride - Mental Health Panel video on IDB channel got taken down? I guess it did because the Student Pride channel just put their own up? But thank you guys so much! I watched it just last night, sad to see it goes.

anyway, if anyone still wants to see it, they uploaded the video just 5 minutes ago. (great timing, pam!)

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obvsly wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:59 am oh no.... did the National Student Pride - Mental Health Panel video on IDB channel got taken down? I guess it did because the Student Pride channel just put their own up? But thank you guys so much! I watched it just last night, sad to see it goes.

anyway, if anyone still wants to see it, they uploaded the video just 5 minutes ago. (great timing, pam!)

Yeah, they filed a copyright strike on us! So ours will be remaining down but - I guess it was nice of them to wait until theirs was up?? lmao.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

<3

and, of course
liola
rankussy

I appreciate Phil's message a lot. It must be nice to be recognized as a queer influence but like he said, he hasn't done much to... "use" his sexuality to advocate, I guess? Which is fine, because no one should be forced to do so and it's something entirely personal, and while I do think Phil's impact has been great over the years, and we can see it In our community, it's great of him to highlight Abigail and share a tiny bit of his platform with her - personally I've been debating whether to vote for her or Jessica.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

dan making little gay jokes/references really brightens my day

...but a phil video would brighten my day even more :impatient:
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Oh so there was a mask. Would've loved to see it more in pictures of that event.

Can't believe Phil didn't upload yesterday to soften the blow of losing the Stereo shows. He really said 'you bitches are quitting cold turkey'. :(
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

And a reply:
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 pm <3

and, of course
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
dontpanic
#relatable

The whiplash I went through seeing Dan's post and thinking "god I hate him" to then seeing phil's and thinking "god I love him"...

Abigail seems like a great person and does some amazing work, I'm glad phil directed his sizable following to her. Also glad dan commented so it's seen by his followers as well.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Is it wrong that on one hand I think - aww that's cute and humble and self aware and go Abigail.

But on the other hand think - linking one nominee above the others (however deserving) to that many millions of people ...is that really fair?

Can these thoughts exist simultaneously? :shrug:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I think being a cisman throwing his weight behind a trans woman is a seriously class act, given how much absolutely terrible stuff Abigail has had to endure and how bad things are for trans folks in the UK right now. It's a good use of his power and fandom, in my opinion, to try to get recognition for a trans woman in the UK right now.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 pm I think being a cisman throwing his weight behind a trans woman is a seriously class act, given how much absolutely terrible stuff Abigail has had to endure and how bad things are for trans folks in the UK right now. It's a good use of his power and fandom, in my opinion, to try to get recognition for a trans woman in the UK right now.
I definitely agree with this. I defended his right to be nominated, I think he does belong on that list, but he doesn't need to win. I also really, really love him platforming someone whose voice is much more of a minority even in queer spaces. I voted for Jessica, because I feel the same about disabled queer voices, but I think I'll use one of my other email accounts and drop a vote for Abigail, too.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 pm I think being a cisman throwing his weight behind a trans woman is a seriously class act, given how much absolutely terrible stuff Abigail has had to endure and how bad things are for trans folks in the UK right now. It's a good use of his power and fandom, in my opinion, to try to get recognition for a trans woman in the UK right now.
Aha! I didn't realise Abigail was the only trans person nominated as I have no idea who the rest of the nominees are aside from those two (and Jessica) makes sense to me now and yes, I agree.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:28 pm
I definitely agree with this. I defended his right to be nominated, I think he does belong on that list, but he doesn't need to win. I also really, really love him platforming someone whose voice is much more of a minority even in queer spaces. I voted for Jessica, because I feel the same about disabled queer voices, but I think I'll use one of my other email accounts and drop a vote for Abigail, too.
Fair point, having no clue who most of the nominees were other than Phil/Jessica/Abigail, I didn't realise the weight of him doing that <3

I also voted for Jess as her content has really helped my niece, she hasn't told her mum about her feelings towards girls yet and whilst she's not too sure how exactly she feels right now, I think she takes comfort in watching Jess and chatting with me (and I take comfort in that meaning she's getting advice from someone sensible who also likes girls, rather than from me - who knows little and is a total idiot).
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

fruitcriminals wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:33 pm Aha! I didn't realise Abigail was the only trans person nominated as I have no idea who the rest of the nominees are aside from those two (and Jessica) makes sense to me now and yes, I agree.
There's two nonbinary folks, but no trans women. Also quite a few of them aren't British or UK-based? To me, I think a British trans woman speaks freaking volumes in this particular moment.

But also I love Jessica and obviously Phil, but...the phandom can move mountains in online voting. I know this was 2015, but I'm remembering the Youtuber New Awards where the phandom managed to make dan and phil exactly equal in votes and also smash every other fandom's creator.

lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:42 pm
But also I love Jessica and obviously Phil, but...the phandom can move mountains in online voting. I know this was 2015, but I'm remembering the Youtuber New Awards where the phandom managed to make dan and phil exactly equal in votes and also smash every other fandom's creator.
Wow, a piece of before-my-time phandom trivia I wasn't aware of! Not at all surprising though.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
qakie
tol bean
Pronouns: she/they

Hey guys! I'm a long-time lurker and I just made an account to let you guys know that a few Canadian book retailers have extensive previews of Dan's book! The first 20ish pages are available to read now. The psychologist who he worked with is also named which I'm happy to see :)

Chapters Canada link (click the Free Preview button under the cover) of the index and extended introduction chapter: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/bo ... 59f76723d1

Harper Collins Canada link to the "How To Use This Book" chapter: https://preview.aer.io/You_Will_Get_Thr ... rcollinsca
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

qakie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:42 am Hey guys! I'm a long-time lurker and I just made an account to let you guys know that a few Canadian book retailers have extensive previews of Dan's book! The first 20ish pages are available to read now. The psychologist who he worked with is also named which I'm happy to see :)

Chapters Canada link (click the Free Preview button under the cover) of the index and extended introduction chapter: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/bo ... 59f76723d1

Harper Collins Canada link to the "How To Use This Book" chapter: https://preview.aer.io/You_Will_Get_Thr ... rcollinsca
First off:
:welcome:

Second:
OMG!!! Thank you for sharing this!!! I just fell right in and read everything in both links and it's too late for me to even begin overanalyzing it (so, please, someone else, jump right in!) but WOW! I am excited for the rest of this book.

It's already been a tiny emotional rollercoaster that's resulted in me deeply wanting to give Dan a hug. Every Dan, but also specifically post-TATINOF Dan.

But also I so deeply appreciate how thorough that explanation is, how it goes over what's going to be covered, how careful he is to warn people of the content in the book, how he highlights the psychologist he's worked with and their importance and the science behind it.

kshlkjhfdsg I love Dan and I am painfully excited.
shan
morning quiff

qakie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:42 am Hey guys! I'm a long-time lurker and I just made an account to let you guys know that a few Canadian book retailers have extensive previews of Dan's book! The first 20ish pages are available to read now. The psychologist who he worked with is also named which I'm happy to see :)

Amazing find, thank you so much for sharing!

Had to jump back in for a sec to say how incredible this was to read. I had every confidence Dan would do this topic the justice it deserves and, from these pretty substantial previews, he's already surpassed my expectations. He's laid everything out in such a thoughtful and considerate way, many of the doubts people raised since the announcement will hopefully be assuaged by the first few pages of the 'How To Use This Book' section. My academic heart is also loving the use of multiple psychotherapies and the scientific approach he's taking.

Very clearly it's not going to be a book everyone will be into but, as someone who is (and has also been through the wringer the last few months), I'm so completely jazzed for this to be released next month. My excitement level has officially returned to 100!
glitterintheair
phillluminati

It’s just the introduction so I wanna wait before giving a full opinion on the whole book, but for now the only thing I can say is that I found it very boring to the point I skimmed through it very fast because I just.. didn’t care. Sorry but I am not a fan of self help books in general and that introduction felt too technical. Again, I wanna wait before saying anything definitive, but atm it’s definitely not my cup of tea.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

glitterintheair wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:07 am It’s just the introduction so I wanna wait before giving a full opinion on the whole book, but for now the only thing I can say is that I found it very boring to the point I skimmed through it very fast because I just.. didn’t care. Sorry but I am not a fan of self help books in general and that introduction felt too technical. Again, I wanna wait before saying anything definitive, but atm it’s definitely not my cup of tea.
Edit to say that after reading other tiny bits, I feel like this book is gonna give me anxiety. Progression, I guess? Stay tuned for other useless opinions by glitterintheair
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Levitating
#relatable

glitterintheair wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:07 am It’s just the introduction so I wanna wait before giving a full opinion on the whole book, but for now the only thing I can say is that I found it very boring to the point I skimmed through it very fast because I just.. didn’t care. Sorry but I am not a fan of self help books in general and that introduction felt too technical. Again, I wanna wait before saying anything definitive, but atm it’s definitely not my cup of tea.

Personally, same!

If we the phandom are the target of this book, then I feel most of us know the basics of mental health he's touching on (having all grown up in Internet era), so reading it sounds a bit boring and, coming from dan, it also gives me vibe of someone who's taking himself too seriously while trying to pretend he doesn't with the joke here and there (he mentions his career in a detailed manner while it could have been left to the little bio in the book :roll: ).

I expected it to have this vibe anyway: it reflects the way he's been acting for a while now (a serious published author :roll: :lol: )

I would have much preferred, as the supposed target of this book, a more personalised point of view. This book instead sounds too generic and it feels pretentious to me (especially when he again write "I am not a regular self-help book. I am a cool & useful self-help book" (mean girl quote here)).

Basically, it's like he is not talking to us, but to a general public.

My first thought was : wo, since it's written in such a simple way, this may work for my parents and that generation of people completely ignorant on mental health.
shan
morning quiff

I don't think the phandom necessarily is the target audience though. Obviously both Dan and the publishers are relying on us supporting any project he takes on to sell a good number of the books but from the way Dan has been interacting with us in the last couple of years (excluding the Stereo content blitz), this was always meant to be a personal passion project that was intended to reach wider audiences than just us.

What we have so far is just the introduction (personal intro to him and his story set out for non-phans mostly with a bit of new info mixed in) and the 'How To Use This Book' chapter which sets out the basics of mental health and background knowledge you need for the rest of the book. Yes, it's very technical but it kind of needs to be. He could hardly jump straight in assuming that everyone is on the same level knowledge-wise with this kind of thing, especially when he's made a point when talking about the book so far of hoping to reach people who don't necessarily think about their mental health in much depth like the Phil's of the world.

I'm fairly sure the actual chapters of the book will be in the middle of these two chapters tone-wise. Practical info interspersed with personal stories more in line with the intro than the short one-liners used in the HTUTB chapter which were clearly only there to try and maintain interest in the parts people might find dry as they didn't add anything. Tbh as someone who has done a lot of therapy and did a bunch of psych subjects in uni, he's already mentioned one psychotherapy I've not heard of so I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's going to be all that simple. He's definitely going to be introducing me to some new concepts along the way.

Call me pretentious too but this boy has clearly done his research and I'm so down to read his passion project on mental health he wrote in close collaboration with a non-Youtuber clinical psychologist. But again, this is totally my jam. He clearly didn't write this for a quick buck and there will definitely be a lot of people who won't enjoy this type of book but for those who are into it, this is a really promising preview imo.