Dan & Phil Part 99: OnlyPhans

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
qakie
tol bean
Pronouns: she/they

madzilla84 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:51 pm If anyone missed out on signed copies of Dan’s book, Waterstones (UK) now has some: https://www.waterstones.com/book/you-wi ... gn=roundup

:thisnight:
You can use the code taste10 to get 10% off your order btw!!
qakie
tol bean
Pronouns: she/they

Also re: different number of pages in the UK vs North American editions of the book. I compared the dimensions listed on the bookstore websites and it seems like the UK edition is slightly bigger, so the formatting will probably be different in order to fit more words onto each page. The UK edition is listed as 8.75" x 5.55" and the US is 8.25" x 5.5"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

fioebae wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:05 am
shan wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:07 am This also leads me to the question; in you guys' experience does the notion that everyone around 30 or younger have a firm grasp on the concepts of mental health actually hold true? It's been thrown around a few times in the last couple of pages that Dan's book is ultimately useless to this demographic but, thinking on my close friendship group alone (all late 20's), this really isn't my experience at all. I would say half of them are very knowledgeable on the topic of mental health, all of which have also had experiences with depression and/or anxiety, and half have very little if any.
Very this. I know what depression /IS/, and the same for anxiety. But I have zero ideas about any treatments or therapy because I don’t need to know? Unless you or a family member has had cancer have you ever researched cancer treatments in detail? Probably not. Everyone knows what cancer is and that people have chemotherapy etc, but could people who have never experienced it tell you the ins and outs? What about alternative treatments?

My mental health is luckily pretty damn good other than the occasional stressful work day when I run that stereotyped bubble bath and eat a slice of cake and genuinely feel right as rain the next morning.

I’m fascinated with reading Dan’s book because it’ll be a crash course in something that I have no idea about! It seems ideal to me as it’s touching on everything and will open a whole world of knowledge I would otherwise not know or honestly not bother to find out about unless it directly started effecting my/a friends life. This book seems like a fantastic introduction book, and in the same way that people that are fluent in French aren’t buying a beginner vocabulary book, if you already know everything about CBT and it works for you then you won’t buy this, but it doesn’t mean that some people are beginners and need a book outlining the basics. And I think this book will be the perfect solution for that :)
I really love all the perspectives, but especially this one.

I can say from my own experience in the solidly millennial demographic that even most of the people I know in real life (aside from my roommate, who has been in therapy her whole life, like I mentioned before, and my best friend who only decided to go in his mid thirties after seeing it normalized by online friends) might know what depression and anxiety are but have no deeper knowledge of what can be done about them. I live in an area that isn't progressive on any level (the deep south). My father absolutely has untreated anxiety - likely avoidant personality disorder, which is the same thing I was diagnosed with in college by a therapist I saw exactly twice because it was free for two visits - that he passed on to me and my brother. I'm on anxiety medication, but have not seen an actual therapist about it because of the cost. My brother is self-aware about his own anxiety but has neither seen a therapist nor is on medication, because of both the stigma and the cost. I think in an area like mine a book like this will be the perfect first stepping stone for someone that doesn't see reaching out to anyone in their life as an option, not even necessarily because they'd be denied help but because the response is just such an unknown quantity.

Also, not to conflate mental health with gender but just on the spectrum of 'things people around me have no basis for understanding' my cousin's youngest child came out as non-binary and no one in my family has been able to grasp what that means. I gave my mother a book to read (I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver) because I said it was a book I really liked and thought she'd enjoy, and she read it on my recommendation and actually did kinda get it then. It's not a book she'd have ever encountered on her own, but it was a way to help her educate herself that didn't involve anyone having to sit down and explain concepts to her that might make her feel defensive or, to be honest, me feel like I was in over my head. I imagine I'll end up using Dan's book in a similar way.
kavat
pastel persona

I guess todays tweets are on the theme Knowing your audience
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Why are they double teaming us with the content, I'm confused.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

I can't decide whether we're
1. being trolled by pics of them living danandphilgames IRL.
2. being primed for an upcoming video.
3. this is some weird competition between them as to who can get the most likes on a tweet.

I'd like it to be 2. But I am bobo the clown :lol:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

It's all very sus. Surely, there's a video involved here somewhere.

I'm also not 100% sure that, that Dan tweet was written by Dan..... (Not that he disagrees with it, but.... it just feels Phil-esque).
liola
rankussy

When they both interact at basically the same time i get Suspicious™

But also Phil's tweet and the confused replies were hilarious to me, someone who has spent the past 6 months crying over Persona5 and had the same wtf moment lmao
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

liola wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 pm When they both interact at basically the same time i get Suspicious™

But also Phil's tweet and the confused replies were hilarious to me, someone who has spent the past 6 months crying over Persona5 and had the same wtf moment lmao
Can you please explain why that’s in the game?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

I feel like this reply needs to be included on here, cause, y'know,,,
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Susanisnotafish wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:16 pm
In the game there's the Phantom Thieves. They get a following so Phantom...Phandom. I'd like to think someone involved in that game knew what they were doing tho.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Then again I would also like a video upload and at this rate even their concierge is gonna think F this I can teach myself how to use iMovie to edit and just record them through a window screaming at rock band and bang a milli views
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Vote for next thread name here! :rainbowtears: <3
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
liola
rankussy

Susanisnotafish wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:16 pm
liola wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 pm When they both interact at basically the same time i get Suspicious™

Like fruitcriminals said, the protagonist are called Phantom Thieves and they get famous so they have a Phandom, with phangirls and phanboys who hang out on a phan-site and send phanrequests. It freaks you out at first but they say it so much you get desensitized to it quickly, and for the ~100 hours of gameplay you live in world where Phandom does not mean Dan and Phil lmao I'm 99% sure it's a pure coincidence btw

I was hoping them being online would mean a video or at least a message from Phil about a video. But then again if phil is playing P5 goodbye phil see you in a month

Levitating
#relatable

Did they ever reject the word phandom?
I have the impression that they did, at one time?

Or was it always acceptable, from them? Because it is strictly correlated to them as a couple or at least as a duo so perhaps 2012 Dan did not like it?
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Levitating wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:57 am Did they ever reject the word phandom?
I have the impression that they did, at one time?

Or was it always acceptable, from them? Because it is strictly correlated to them as a couple or at least as a duo so perhaps 2012 Dan did not like it?
Maybe someone can think of a time they rejected it, but I don't think so.

"Phan" and ships are inevitable--they are part of fan culture. There were a lot of other big ships a few years ago, when Phan was huge; think Septiplier, Tronner, Troyler, Larry. There might or might not have been a romantic relationship behind some of them, but certainly not all of them, and I don't think most people really expected there to be.

For the Dan and Phil Survey (#spon), we spent a lot of time on our definition of "ship": "We define shipping as the desire for two people to be in a romantic/sexual relationship, regardless of whether you believe that relationship to be possible or true."

Fans are going to do what fans are going to do. Anything that is invasive or illegal is 100% not ok. But fans are going to talk, and speculate, and create art, and the fourth wall is there for creators to shield themselves. I think the Phan shipping was, and is, a big part of their glass closet. "Hey, the fans think we're together, just like they think Markiplier and Jacksepticeye are together. Ha ha ha. Moving on, nothing to see here."
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Didn't Dan's use of "Don't say Team Dan or Team Phil, say Team Phan" either begin or popularize the term? (Not that that would mean they couldn't have opposed the word "phandom" at some point. I think I remember a period where Dan rambled about not liking the term "fan" for his viewers, but I can't think of anything opposing "phan" terminology.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Templeofshame wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:20 pm Didn't Dan's use of "Don't say Team Dan or Team Phil, say Team Phan" either begin or popularize the term? (Not that that would mean they couldn't have opposed the word "phandom" at some point. I think I remember a period where Dan rambled about not liking the term "fan" for his viewers, but I can't think of anything opposing "phan" terminology.)
That immediately made me think of this mid-2014 relic from Dan's instagram.

caption wrote:omg they named a haribo after me and phil!!
formlessblobsunite
drama llama

Catallena wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:30 pm
I'm gonna bring this back for a quick second because I've lost the past six months of my life to Apex Legends and it freaks me out every time they mention it. I wasn't gonna bring it up here if no one else did, but in our last game tonight, two of the members of the champion squad were named Dirty Dan and Pet Cactus, and while I have no way of knowing who that is (or even if UK peeps would be in the Frankfurt server), that is a coincidence and a half. :lol:
:rainbowtears:
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

formlessblobsunite wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:17 pm
I wasn't gonna bring it up here if no one else did, but in our last game tonight, two of the members of the champion squad were named Dirty Dan and Pet Cactus, and while I have no way of knowing who that is (or even if UK peeps would be in the Frankfurt server), that is a coincidence and a half. :lol:
That's really made me chuckle :lol: you never know, phil's got that vpn spon so I guess they can be on whatever server they like!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan finished his audiobook recording! Those stories under the spoiler.
... because I'm more interested in Safiya's tiktok saying that Phil "smugged her" this?? lmao how on earth. Is it a UK only device or something?
JLynne
drama llama

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:15 pm
... because I'm more interested in Safiya's tiktok saying that Phil "smugged her" this?? lmao how on earth. Is it a UK only device or something?
The DuoLab...thingy...is only available for shipping in the UK and Ireland, so Phil's smuggling services were needed to get this doodad to Saf!
kavat
pastel persona

I love when you can tell an internet friendship is an actual friendship and not performative. Get you a pal who will smuggle alien pod looking devices across the ocean for you.
kavat
pastel persona

Double posting because Student Pride posted this dear caught in headlights

liola
rankussy

I don't know if it's the light or bad photoshop or after years Dan hasn't learned to blend foundation down his neck but it took me way too long to figure out where his neck started and the background behind him ended