Dan & Phil Part 100: full-time internet homowners

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
interruptfireworks
delia smith
Pronouns: she/her

omg phil video was so good and funny. it's interesting to me that phil's gonna pop up in the pride dan video - how's that gonna work..

this is kind of random as it's not completely related to the video subject except it's sorta living situation discussion but i went a bit inactive from the phandom for a few years and when i came back about a year ago i saw people talking about the living flat vs filming flat and i was just wondering how everyone sort of worked out that they had 2 flats at the same time because it just seems so unlikely to me that they would do that like, who does that? WHY did they have 2 flats at the same time? it seems a bit unconventional and a waste of money to me like why couldn’t they film in what was also their home but in different rooms? i get the sharing a bedroom thing but couldn’t they just not film in the bedroom? i’d just like some answers because i’ve always been confused by this whole thing ever since i found out about it haha thank you in advance.
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

Catallena wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:14 am
Interesting how The Golden Pig isn't in front of the green wall like in the picture from a few days ago.
Ever since they said they were painting a wall green, I've thought that they decided to do that so they could use it as a green screen for a video if they needed one instead of using their fabric one (I know it's not going to be the bright chroma key green color, but really any solid color works). I guess a wall in that spare bedroom could be the green wall and then Phil would just have to turn his camera if he needed to film with it.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

interruptfireworks wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:25 am omg phil video was so good and funny. it's interesting to me that phil's gonna pop up in the pride dan video - how's that gonna work..

this is kind of random as it's not completely related to the video subject except it's sorta living situation discussion but i went a bit inactive from the phandom for a few years and when i came back about a year ago i saw people talking about the living flat vs filming flat and i was just wondering how everyone sort of worked out that they had 2 flats at the same time because it just seems so unlikely to me that they would do that like, who does that? WHY did they have 2 flats at the same time? it seems a bit unconventional and a waste of money to me like why couldn’t they film in what was also their home but in different rooms? i get the sharing a bedroom thing but couldn’t they just not film in the bedroom? i’d just like some answers because i’ve always been confused by this whole thing ever since i found out about it haha thank you in advance.
I would be happy to explain some stuff about this, especially now that they are out of both places, but before I do- mods (and other people) would it be worth having some sort of condensed post/thread on this since it's kind of,, over now but the sort of things where questions are likely to pop up from time to time?
I'm thinking a post of like
-why/guesses as to why
-ways deppy have described it
-notable differences between the two places/which rooms were in which place
-potentially explanation of the floor plans? I know that's something that confuses people and I would be willing to draw something up that is enough to understand but not the exact ones enough to make finding the places super easy

Thoughts/feelings? This stuff can definitely tread some privacy/location boundaries so I'm not sure how other people feel.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
howadorableright
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Have not posted in probably four years but I'm popping back in to just share my appreciation for the new video. the fact that it's already a new comfort video for me shows the absolute hold that joint content has on me.

def interesting how phil's channel has been dan-centric recently (which i love), it makes me think what it would be like if they just had a constant collab channel. i wonder if they would ever rebrand dapg into a catch-all of joint content. i don't see it happening but it's a fun thought!!
back back back back again
dontpanic
#relatable

dan worrying about phil's sunscreen use, why do i find that so sweet
shan
morning quiff

I just had a thought; didn't they say that they wanted all the artwork in the new place to be done by friends? I wonder if the huge Eclipse canvas in the bedroom was a Bryony painting? It's not her usual colourful style but she has made Dan a monotone quilt before so it could be one of hers if they told her what they were going for. It definitely doesn't look like anything wirrow or PJ would make and I can't think of anyone else it could be.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

plinthofmylife wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 pm
Are civil partnerships publicly registered in the UK like marriages are? I could see them wanting to do a civil partnership over a marriage if they aren't public info just for privacy reasons.
I just Googled it so maybe I'm misunderstanding but it says "Civil partnership certificates are available to anyone to purchase provided they can identify the entry," which is as the same verbiage for marriages, so I'm thinking there aren't privacy advantages. (Based on my admittedly limited Google, it seems like there aren't many differences apart from the terms used and apparently adultery is considered a valid justification to end a marriage but not to end a civil partnership.)
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

snoopysadie wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:24 pm so i'm guessing that dan wasn't allowed in the ambulance because of covid restrictions but what i want to know is:
is the fact that they share a house, both their names on the lease, enough for dan to have permission to accompany phil into the ambulance?
can they make each other their emergency contact people? i feel like it's a huge inconvenience if that's not the case. what if something happens? their families live on the other side of the country.
As far as I'm aware, you can name anyone your next of kin....I looked it up, the UK has no legal restrictions about who you can name. They probably have each other down for that, though there's a slight chance they still put their parents. If they lived in the US, they would legally be considered "common law married" where the length of time they have shared a life and made a home together qualified them for the same legal rights as legally married people - but the UK doesn't recognize common law marriages, so while I'm confident they have each other down as next of kin/medical proxy, I'm uncertain about what other legal protections a long term unmarried couple would or would not have.
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
kavat
pastel persona

I have so many thoughts, none of them coherent

1. He could have named it Why I went to the hospital 3, but no, it was important that Dan was involved.

2. Their different ways of telling a story is so clear here. Phil probably goes on just as many tangents when he's talking on his own and usually just edits it out. Dan scripts his storytimes down to a t. It clashes here which gives us whiny Dan complaining about Phil not telling the story right. I'm so here for the bickering.

3. I also think that could be their actual bedroom, with all the sentimental knickknacks and perfume. I don't think they'd put the box with the pinof1 questions in a guestroom.

4. They truly care for each other so much. Dan couldn't sleep until he knew Phil was home and safe. Excuse me while I cry into my morning coffee.
Levitating
#relatable

I am interested in the 2-flat theories too! I still cannot understand ahha

Also, what does Phil mean when he said "I tapped on the window" when coming back to Dan to confess he actually feel he has swallowed the glue?! It made me think they have a glass wall separating them somewhere??

There's something in Phil that keeps bothering me like he's doing something I don't recognise :?
does he look at the camera? His eyes seem to move around distracted by something while Dan talks and I notice it is not what he used to do in the past?
Or perhaps is it because it seems like he's half listening to Dan?
I tried to watch old content and it seems to me that Phil used to turn his eye/head towards Dan more often?
In this last video (ambulance) he seems to be doing it a bit more than other recent ones.

Or is this just my impression? :rofl:
Last edited by Levitating on Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinnie
drama llama

As someone who has been watching all their videos ASAP since 2014 but only occasionally popping up here, I've also always been confused about the two apartments. Because why? In their previous two places they filmed in the same place they lived and a casual viewer wouldn't even notice if it's all the same place or not. So what's the logic behind it? I'd understand if it was someone who likes throwing money around on stupid shit like Alfie Deyes who has bought/rented multiples places "for work" in his time but Dan and Phil have never been like that.
Bookworman355
phillion/danosaur <//3

Levitating wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:07 am There's something in Phil that keeps bothering me like he's doing something I don't recognise :?
does he look at the camera? His eyes seem to move around distracted by something while Dan talks and I notice it is not what he used to do in the past?
Or perhaps is it because it seems like he's half listening to Dan?
I tried to watch old content and it seems to me that Phil used to turn his eye/head towards Dan more often?
In this last video (ambulance) he seems to be doing it a bit more than other recent ones.

Or is this just my impression? :rofl:
I have noticed that too. He will stare off into space in front of him with a sorta dumb stricken expression. Unless Dan is actively looking for a response (“Phil, we experienced that in 2019” etc.), Phil won’t look at him when he talks sometimes. This isn’t something new but he’s doing it a lot more often.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I didn’t notice anything distracting but it would be fun to get through a phil video without commentary on how tired or stressed he looked. If he was checked out though it’s probably because of the stressful move/panic attack/family visit/birthday and I don’t think anyone could fault him for that.

The glass was most likely the glass door they had in their last flat between the lounge and phil’s filming space
shan
morning quiff

I think a very big reason as to why they would chose to rent two apartments is for work/life balance. When they moved in 2017, Dan was on his journey to actively work on his mental health. Working from home is not always easy but throw in your work requiring your house to essentially become a filming set and that's a recipe for poor mental health, especially when you consider how highly they value their privacy.

The living flat was quite small despite being a penthouse. There were only two bedrooms and an open plan living, kitchen and office nook. That didn't really leave much space for designated filming areas and they had three active channels at the time. Having a separate flat to be used as an AP/dinof office means they could have two extra rooms for the AP set and gaming channel room, plus an office, keeping work away from their actual home and giving them more privacy. They've said a few times that it was never meant to be a long term solution and that this was only supposed to be a short stopover before moving into the forever home. They've also acknowledged that it was a solution that never quite made sense.

I'm sure others will be able to add a lot more detail into the sherlocking involved in realising it was two separate flats!

For the question about Phil tapping on the window, the superglue story happened before they moved into the new house so Dan was most likely in the office behind the glass wall in the lounge room of the old place.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Well that video was unexpected! I really enjoyed it, I think out of the joint videos they have done so far, this might been my favorite one for sure, it was like watching one of their old younows.
Also I definitely think that room is their bedroom, mostly because they have so many knickknacks in there (ie Dan’s box, Phil’s family framed picture, the perfumes etc). And it miiight have a minimal style now but I am sure it will change with time.

I am feeling kinda nervous for whatever Dan is doing on YouTube, I’ll be honest. I thought it was gonna be a livestream from home, but it doesn’t appear it to be the case and not knowing what it actually is unsettles me a bit.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
tinnie
drama llama

While I agree that room has too many of their knick knacks that would be strange in a spare bedroom (though who knows how much they expect to use it as one and whether there is no other place for guests) I also think it would be even stranger if their shared bedroom became Phil's filming space and I also doubt they'd have a bed that can be folded into the wall. :shrug:
kavat
pastel persona

tinnie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:01 pm While I agree that room has too many of their knick knacks that would be strange in a spare bedroom (though who knows how much they expect to use it as one and whether there is no other place for guests) I also think it would be even stranger if their shared bedroom became Phil's filming space and I also doubt they'd have a bed that can be folded into the wall. :shrug:
The place where they were sitting is the filming/guestroom. The bedroom we are talking about is the one he showed a picture of in the montage, with the black cabinets and the butt chair. You can see the top of a headboard in the mirror.
starsandshards
living flop

fruitcriminals wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:09 am Side note - Dan forgetting his rebrand and saying his pride video was on danisnotonfire was funny, him also forgetting that it was on 25th June not 25th July, also funny. Phil not amending any of that in the edit - priceless.
this is making me weep LMAO. drag him philip. :rofl:
tinnie
drama llama

kavat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:22 pm
tinnie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:01 pm While I agree that room has too many of their knick knacks that would be strange in a spare bedroom (though who knows how much they expect to use it as one and whether there is no other place for guests) I also think it would be even stranger if their shared bedroom became Phil's filming space and I also doubt they'd have a bed that can be folded into the wall. :shrug:
The place where they were sitting is the filming/guestroom. The bedroom we are talking about is the one he showed a picture of in the montage, with the black cabinets and the butt chair. You can see the top of a headboard in the mirror.
Ahhh okay. Thanks for clarification. This whole time I was thinking everyone was talking about the room where they were filming :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Random theory I'm throwing out there - I wonder if this happened back in November/December and not now? Because in the new video Phil said the arm fell off two days before they were moving but they showed the glasses with the arm off in Viewers Pick My Outfits 2. I could see Phil wanting to make a video out of it but also not wanting two hospital-related videos so back to back, since the Why I Went to Hospital 2 was also in 2020.

(Of course, he could have just tried to fix the glasses back then and the arm fell off again. But theories are fun!)
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Moderator Note

Now that Dan and Phil have moved out of the two flats in question, it is fine to describe them in detail here, with one restriction. Please do not include an address, directions, or any other information that would give away the flats' location.

For the curious, the "two flats theory" has been discussed extensively on this forum, often in great detail, since shortly after they moved into them. You can find such posts by seaching on terms like "two flats".
inanerat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 am
interruptfireworks wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:25 am omg phil video was so good and funny. it's interesting to me that phil's gonna pop up in the pride dan video - how's that gonna work..

I would be happy to explain some stuff about this, especially now that they are out of both places, but before I do- mods (and other people) would it be worth having some sort of condensed post/thread on this since it's kind of,, over now but the sort of things where questions are likely to pop up from time to time?
I'm thinking a post of like
-why/guesses as to why
-ways deppy have described it
-notable differences between the two places/which rooms were in which place
-potentially explanation of the floor plans? I know that's something that confuses people and I would be willing to draw something up that is enough to understand but not the exact ones enough to make finding the places super easy

Thoughts/feelings? This stuff can definitely tread some privacy/location boundaries so I'm not sure how other people feel.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:31 pm Random theory I'm throwing out there - I wonder if this happened back in November/December and not now? Because in the new video Phil said the arm fell off two days before they were moving but they showed the glasses with the arm off in Viewers Pick My Outfits 2. I could see Phil wanting to make a video out of it but also not wanting two hospital-related videos so back to back, since the Why I Went to Hospital 2 was also in 2020.

(Of course, he could have just tried to fix the glasses back then and the arm fell off again. But theories are fun!)
You know what, that would literally make MORE sense. Because Dan said he'd been doing things with them sellotaped. But had he literally been sellotaping the arm on repeatedly since last November? Through most parts of lockdown you could still get your eyes checked or glasses fixed. Or just use your prescription online to order a pair of new glasses. Then again, this is Phil.

What I did realise tho - viewers pick my outfits 2 the arm to his right ear (the viewers left side), is the one that's fallen off. In the photo of him in an ambulance the glasses arm is visible over his right ear. And it kinda looks like it's been taped on. If the whole glue thing did happen, that must mean that Dan taped it back on for him while they waited for the ambulance so he could wear the glasses to the hospital, which is v cute.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Timestamp time- house edition
(I'm too tired to be bothered to do the whole video/story, so I'm limiting this to mostly just house commentary and a few notes on other things)

0:01- They've moved! First vid in the new place. Carpeted room, good riddance echo-y tile
0:06- Close up look at background shelves:
Right shelf, top to bottom: 1. failed bob ross painting on a little blanket, 2. some sort older camera, lion and lioness, magic 8 ball and what looks like the black and white puppet from interactive space adventure, 3. fake blue-green cactus from last background, failed tiny white vase bought for the last background but never used, new plant in a pot, 4. dino light from previous background, grey and black furby, useless box from wish video, few misc. unidentifiable things behind them, looks like also light switch and plug socket at the back.
Left shelf, top to bottom: 1. YouTube clapper board, 2. candle shelf, including Phil's autumn and winter candles along with a pink one that seems to be called 'treat yourself', white bird statue, matches, 3. Buffy shelf, 4. yellow and red ball lights that they've had in various places for years.
Additional background items: Prayer plant on a stump, cactus cushion and blanket in the left corner, lava lamp and golden pig on table behind, 2 tatinof cubes and angry face cushion up on very top of shelf/bed situation, Briony's fish painting behind bed.
0:11- Fold down bed reveal, I wondered if they would do something like this, I think it's a really nice choice for having useable space when you mostly don't have guests round but also a proper bed for when people do come 'round.
0:25- enter Dan, discussion about end of box boys, repeat of Dan's insta caption 'homeowning homosexuals'. Makes me wonder when they filmed this video compared to that post.
0:56- Phil notes how 'when they're filming together' (idk I find this phrasing interesting?) his shoulder covers up the face of the golden pig. queue pig bants
1:28- thought they would move in and everything would be done, 2 toilets didn't work (if I had to guess I'd say there's probably 3 total? but idk), wires and lights struggles, had to have lots of workers 'round
2:00- Phil has been enjoying their 'outdoor space' a lot, perhaps infinitesimally less pale. I continue to be curious about their use of the term 'outdoor space' and what exactly that means
2:20- Don't think they'll do a whole house tour, but some tasty pics, most seen before on insta stories at one point or another
2:31- First unique pic, of the black shelf and desk seen before with stuff on it! Notable items:
Top shelf: some books
Middle shelf: Dan's My Soul candle, Phil family photo, few other things I can't identify
Bottom shelf: FKA Twigs MAGDALENE vinyl, Dan's bear, more books, can of Mt. Fuji air from first Japan trip, funky AI art
Desk: Plant, colognes, Dan's 'box of secrets', some weird light, a black and white minimalistic art piece facing sideways. I would really love to get a better look at this art 'cause the curvy shapes almost look more human-depicting, which is something deppy don't usually seem to go for.
Under desk: Butt chair of course, and some white thing, idk what it is
Looks to me like this room is carpeted like the Philming/guest room.
2:36- P: 'So maybe we'll do something in a few months' D: 'When we know how the house works'. Ok boys I thought you said you weren't doing a house tour but you might do something in a few months ??? you can't play with my heart like this.
4:29- Phil leaves to go get his glasses to show, Dan's eyes track him out the right side of the room as he leaves, so I am assuming that is where the door is.
4:36: As Dan is hiding the golden pig we get a chance for Chair Watch! 2 never before seen chairs. Phil is sitting in one with a low back and looks like some sort of white with a bit of cushion, Dan is sitting in an entirely clear plastic chair with arms.
5:44 Phil expresses anxiety about meeting new neighbors with taped up glasses, I wonder if neighbors in a place with such nice places like theirs are quite posh? Maybe intimidating, idk

Other non house related notes:
-I love their banter so much, especially around 5:22. Their idiocy just feels like home <3
-There's an odd moment of black screen in between a zoom-in jump cut at 3:29? I can't tell if it's supposed to be there or if it's an editing mistake.
-Dan dragging Phil for being thirsty at 13:24- P: [The paramedics] started to check me out and the first thing they said- D: Not in that way. Phil wishes. :lol: Also Phil x Hot paramedic (bonus au Paramedic!Dan) fic when??
-While it is a fairly small and subtle thing I really appreciate things like Phil not just saying 'I wanted Dan to come with but he wasn't allowed' but including that he wanted Dan with him because he was anxious and scared. It just feels like that tiny acknowledgement of more emotional connection that wouldn't have been glazed over in years past. Also Dan describing himself at home doing some packing and 'a lot of thinking about how I feel about Phil'. Makes me wonder if moments like these lead to the same conversations that we're having on possibilities they have/things they could do to be sure they can stay as connected as possible in emergency situations where traditional legal relationships like marriage tend to be defaulted to and other types of non-legal (or officially recognized) relationships don't get the same weight.
-Also their use of describing each other as 'friend' makes me wonder how they do describe themselves in situations like this when they actually happen. It would make a lot of sense to me for them to refer to each other as their 'partners' to someone like a paramedic for the understanding that they are closer than just 'friends' might be, but I understand if it's a detail they would change for the video.
-I'm very curious for Dan's thing on friday (also lol @ him saying july instead of june). I was expecting it to be more of a sit down type video but with the YT production it seems like it will be a bit more than that. I'm also super curious how the video submissions will be incorporated. Also very interested to see where Phil pops into it. Also no shade but Dan describing it as 'weird and creative' makes me think it's going to be something some people really love and something other people are completely meh/disappointed with.
-22:25- Dan saying he just wants to have some fun. I am very curious to see what this means for what we see from him in the future! Also a tiny part of my clown brain is like,,, hey dan,, maybe it would be fun and different but also some content if you,, streamed on twitch,, like played games from your new nerd cave with fast internet,, or something..... but I am decidedly keeping my hopes contained.
Last edited by inanerat on Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

shan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:04 am I think a very big reason as to why they would chose to rent two apartments is for work/life balance. When they moved in 2017, Dan was on his journey to actively work on his mental health. Working from home is not always easy but throw in your work requiring your house to essentially become a filming set and that's a recipe for poor mental health, especially when you consider how highly they value their privacy.

The living flat was quite small despite being a penthouse. There were only two bedrooms and an open plan living, kitchen and office nook. That didn't really leave much space for designated filming areas and they had three active channels at the time. Having a separate flat to be used as an AP/dinof office means they could have two extra rooms for the AP set and gaming channel room, plus an office, keeping work away from their actual home and giving them more privacy. They've said a few times that it was never meant to be a long term solution and that this was only supposed to be a short stopover before moving into the forever home. They've also acknowledged that it was a solution that never quite made sense.

I'm sure others will be able to add a lot more detail into the sherlocking involved in realising it was two separate flats!

For the question about Phil tapping on the window, the superglue story happened before they moved into the new house so Dan was most likely in the office behind the glass wall in the lounge room of the old place.
To add on to this exact concept, I remember a live show or video or something where Dan very pointedly said that their "new place" (the 2 flats) meant that they didn't need to go dragging camera and lighting equipment through hallways and scratching up walls like they use to. That whole little speech of his suggested that their original intention was very much to just film in the filming flat and we were never going to see the living flat.

I mean it certainly started off that way. Phil's first few live shows were in that lounge. Every video was filmed in the AP room, the gaming room, and "Dan's office" (the room behind the glass). Baking was done in that kitchen. Etc.

But this is Dan and Phil and much like the rest of us, they're human. It definitely started to slip. Eventually, it seems Phil didn't want to go downstairs (to what I believe was shittier internet) to do liveshows, so he stayed in the living flat. Then we started getting wider shots of that flat in IG stories. Dan took a photo for his Tinder #spon and we saw the second kitchen. A HUNGRY Sleepless Night saw Phil go between both to... tie them both together? IDFK. Then they filmed a mukbang on the floor of their living lounge.

So... good intentions. They just didn't pan out. :lol:

Also - I'll be the one to break this ice now that they've officially moved: At one point or another... both flats were listed for rent. So they were very much separate and the different intercoms, floors, doors, kitchens, etc... made sense.
kavat
pastel persona

inanerat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:20 pm 4:36: As Dan is hiding the golden pig we get a chance for Chair Watch! 2 never before seen chairs. Phil is sitting in one with a low back and looks like some sort of white with a bit of cushion, Dan is sitting in an entirely clear plastic chair with arms.
As apparently I'm on furniture watch, Dan is sitting in a Louis Ghost Chair. My guess is that he dragged it over from the dining table. Those chairs are quite the modern classic, but sadly not very comfortable as it's all plastic (you don't want to be sitting on it wearing a short skirt or shorts on a summer's day). I can't seem to find a good match for Phil's chair, it's a little more generic.