Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I do think we'll get some Original Phil SHORTS Content soon enough, simply because this is YouTube's attempt at competing with TikTok for the youths and other people genuinely unable to concentrate on moving images for longer than 10 seconds. No matter how iconic Phil's COTY tl;dr clip is, I think they need a little more to even attempt that. I'm sure whatever they're paying him demands for something a little more exclusive and original. Luckily for Phil, we are pretty easily entertained :thumb:

Heh, now I'm remembering Vidcon London 2020 where Phil responded with a strong resolute :rainbowsparkle: NO :rainbowsparkle: when asked whether he'd start a TikTok.

Good for you Phil, get that YouTube money for recycled content <3
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Most of the shorts I've seen have been either recycled tiktoks, outtakes or tl;dr/trailers for longer videos.

The podcast Decoder with Nilay Patel did an interview with the product officer of youtube (the ep from aug 3) where they talked a lot about shorts and how youtube wants it to be their next big thing. They have a creator fund of $100m just for shorts so there is definitely money to be made. I recommend a listen!

The same podcast also has an episode with Patreon founder Jack Conte, which I recommend if you are interested in that platform.
000dia000
emo goose

kinda off topic but i really like coming back here every month or so and reading everyone's opinions. even if someone says something radical you don't try to cancel a user you just have an open discussion about it. it's really refreshing because whether I am on twitter or reddit or wherever, everyone's so fucking annoying and such sheep. i like coming back here to remind myself of how humans talk.

anyway I still notice the conversation continuously goes [phil update] [phil update] [three page discussion of dan being annoying] [phil update] lol

also, recently my mother asked....what happened to those two dan and phil??? basically mammy they took their money and ran (also they have a house together :prideflag: :foreverhome: )
:cactus:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:59 am anyway I still notice the conversation continuously goes [phil update] [phil update] [three page discussion of dan being annoying] [phil update] lol
the accuracy burns, lmao
000dia000 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:59 ambasically mammy they took their money and ran (also they have a house together :prideflag: :foreverhome: )
This comment reminds me of something I've been wanting to mention - they didn't just take the money and run, they're still getting the money. Especially Dan, which genuinely surprised me. Their individual companies updated reports at the end of September and while Phil does make more now it's something like 3.1m for him vs 2.9m for Dan. Dan only make about 200k less in the 2020 year than he did in 2019.

(Also nice to see you back around here!!)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

000dia000 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:59 am anyway I still notice the conversation continuously goes [phil update] [phil update] [three page discussion of dan being annoying] [phil update] lol
I've been really pondering why that is and my thoughts are two-fold:

First off: As a self-proclaimed *~dannie~*, I don't want to pretend that there aren't people who just full-stop prefer Dan's content and miss him and want to talk about him more than they do about Phil. So, there's that.

But also, Phil's just less of an enigma. He continues to post, he's created hard boundaries about what he does and does not want to talk about (see: his ice cream shop), and he's told us exactly why he isn't posting quite as often right now. Dan, on the other hand, has not done any of that. He (mostly) fully dropped us post-BIG (much like pre-BIG tbh), he constantly hints at shit he's working on but never in any really clear way, and he tweets some real weird fucking shit that's absolutely discussion-worthy. He essentially leaves us to come up with our own assumptions about his whereabouts.

It's tougher to talk about Phil because it's like... What's Phil working on? His winter video project thing. Why isn't he tweeting right now? He's dealing with health issues. Do you think Phil will tell us about who he wants to fuck? No.

And Dan? What's Dan working on? Stuff.... One time he mentioned talking about therapy in a video but now he doesn't seem to want to? Also didn't he have grand plans around a marathon he's not running anymore??? Also - will he ever post a video? Alsoalsoalso... Why isn't Dan tweeting right now? :shrug: Do you think Dan will tells us about who he wants to fuck? Yeah. Constantly. But also, he told us Phil is effectively his husband. And they bought a home together. But he does also seems to want to fuck every male within his line of sight... let's discuss!

ETA: I want to add that Phil does offer us plenty of content to discuss, but I think a lot of phandom was built on curiosity and frankly.... a love of mystery. LBR. The Big Mystery is essentially resolved and so I think we all want to discuss more of the Unknowns and there are fewer of those with Phil.

Anyway. That's my take, though I admit I could easily be wrong.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

As a Phillie it’s true that Phil has firmer boundaries but even before that people never really discussed his experiences. It’s always been about how Dan felt about coming out or what his relationship was like with the phandom and maybe that’s because it’s easier for people to self-insert with Dan but that’s how it’s always been as long as I’ve been here.

To be honest though I’ve stopped posting about Phil because I’m not interested in turning everything he does into a discussion about Dan and since some people don’t tend to talk about Phil like he’s a real person there’s not much to say. I’m also not interested in the discussions about why we react one way to Phil and another way to Dan either so that leaves me with nothing to discuss. I do hope he does something in the future that separates him from amazingphil and maybe that will open up more discussion.
liola
rankussy

Amiaw wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:57 pm As a Phillie it’s true that Phil has firmer boundaries but even before that people never really discussed his experiences. It’s always been about how Dan felt about coming out or what his relationship was like with the phandom and maybe that’s because it’s easier for people to self-insert with Dan but that’s how it’s always been as long as I’ve been here.

To be honest though I’ve stopped posting about Phil because I’m not interested in turning everything he does into a discussion about Dan and since some people don’t tend to talk about Phil like he’s a real person there’s not much to say. I’m also not interested in the discussions about why we react one way to Phil and another way to Dan either so that leaves me with nothing to discuss. I do hope he does something in the future that separates him from amazingphil and maybe that will open up more discussion.
I personally really agree with this. It gets tiring to comment on Phil stuff when the most some people get out of it is wonder just how much involvement If any Dan had with it. I'll also admit that as someone who has been done with Dan for a long, long time, my pettiness get fueled by discussion of why I'm annoyed. Charge me as guilty.

About the SHORTS (not 🩳) i do actually watch a good deal of them. Most are repurposed content from TikTok, but some people genuinely create whole stories on them divided in different parts and it's very easy to start watching one and end up 2 hours later with the algorithm feeding you video after video. They have a maximum run time of 1 minute so i think when used properly they can be a good way to get new viewers for videos tbh, because for sure creating stuff that makes sense and is original and is only 60 seconds long takes more to time and effort to produce and then edit down than a normal sitting down video where you can fill the silence to get some more comedic moments.

I think it's easier for TikTok creators because they're used to a platform that already limits their time, so I'm curious about what Phil will make of it and if that means we'll get some revival of his really old short videos that were more absurd than anything.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

SHORTS is pretty much destined to mostly have a fuck ton of recycled TikTok content on it, much like Instagram nowadays. Which makes me even more curious about The Content that Phil is gonna post since doesn't have any of that. And he doesn't make enough videos to just use the feature for promotional purposes, at least not while YouTube is paying him. Something original most be on the horizon (I'm hoping).

I also wouldn't mind a normal video soon I'm getting very hungry again.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
LAshleigh
cheeky #spon

Okay, this is more the content I was hoping for!

Edit: I didn't realize until reading the comments, but it looks like that is the green feature wall? Where in the house is it?
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:17 pm
the accuracy burns, lmao
000dia000 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:59 ambasically mammy they took their money and ran (also they have a house together :prideflag: :foreverhome: )
This comment reminds me of something I've been wanting to mention - they didn't just take the money and run, they're still getting the money. Especially Dan, which genuinely surprised me. Their individual companies updated reports at the end of September and while Phil does make more now it's something like 3.1m for him vs 2.9m for Dan. Dan only make about 200k less in the 2020 year than he did in 2019.

(Also nice to see you back around here!!)
Wait wait hold up.
Is that like.. yearly? 3M what dollars? Pounds?
That's a lot of money for barely active youtubers :$
I too would take the money and f off tbh.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay I'm so down for shorts like this.
shan
morning quiff

Yes! I take back everything, if this is what the rest of his shorts are going to be I'm excited and here for it. It's like a mini AP video <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay I don't care about clothes but I feel compelled to identify the appliances, starting with the fact that their dishwasher is the Siemens iQ700, which would run them about £1029.00 assuming they got the freestanding one.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Really liked that short!. Honestly better than a full video (i'm so sorry)

Also.. fancy fancy dudes got moneyyyy
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
dontpanic
#relatable

okay damn Phil's looking so fine
dontpanic
#relatable

rad out of edit time, sorry. I wrote a whole thing but then timed out so ugh I'll condense it

the dan talk vs phil talk comes around every few months and it's an interesting conversation that I had thoughts about but don't want to type out again lol, so I'll just add that yes, we do talk about dan more, but it's usually (especially as of late) critical, whereas phil usually gets talked about positively. I've been nope-ing out of idb lately because it's felt like a complain-about-dan fest a lot and if that's what ppl want to talk about that's cool, it's just not my thing and tbh a lot of the stuff about dan that annoys ppl just doesnt annoy me

I do wish we talked about phil more but I never know how to start that conversation. I really want to go back and look at some of the stuff we know about his early youtube career and put it in context of wht we know now post-coming out, but idk where to even start with that
000dia000
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:17 pm (Also nice to see you back around here!!)
thank you hehe. i just lurk now and watch phil's videos but it's nice dropping back in here.
rizzo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:14 pm
I've been really pondering why that is and my thoughts are two-fold:

First off: As a self-proclaimed *~dannie~*, I don't want to pretend that there aren't people who just full-stop prefer Dan's content and miss him and want to talk about him more than they do about Phil. So, there's that.

But also, Phil's just less of an enigma. He continues to post, he's created hard boundaries about what he does and does not want to talk about (see: his ice cream shop), and he's told us exactly why he isn't posting quite as often right now. Dan, on the other hand, has not done any of that. He (mostly) fully dropped us post-BIG (much like pre-BIG tbh), he constantly hints at shit he's working on but never in any really clear way, and he tweets some real weird fucking shit that's absolutely discussion-worthy. He essentially leaves us to come up with our own assumptions about his whereabouts.

It's tougher to talk about Phil because it's like... What's Phil working on? His winter video project thing. Why isn't he tweeting right now? He's dealing with health issues. Do you think Phil will tell us about who he wants to fuck? No.

And Dan? What's Dan working on? Stuff.... One time he mentioned talking about therapy in a video but now he doesn't seem to want to? Also didn't he have grand plans around a marathon he's not running anymore??? Also - will he ever post a video? Alsoalsoalso... Why isn't Dan tweeting right now? :shrug: Do you think Dan will tells us about who he wants to fuck? Yeah. Constantly. But also, he told us Phil is effectively his husband. And they bought a home together. But he does also seems to want to fuck every male within his line of sight... let's discuss!

ETA: I want to add that Phil does offer us plenty of content to discuss, but I think a lot of phandom was built on curiosity and frankly.... a love of mystery. LBR. The Big Mystery is essentially resolved and so I think we all want to discuss more of the Unknowns and there are fewer of those with Phil.

Anyway. That's my take, though I admit I could easily be wrong.
I totally agree. It's been like this since the dawn of IDB. Phil just gives so very semi-regular unmysterious storiesof his life that we just take it at face value. Meanwhile Dan just slithers in and drops little weird nuggets for us to pick over because we're starving.

Also that short?? Fancy fancy house. It feels weirdly intimate clicking on a video and it only being 6K views :oops:
:cactus:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil really said "here is y'alls damn house tour" and I couldn't be happier about it :stan: <3

This is what I want. This is what I need. This is what I mean when I say we're relatively easily entertained.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
LAshleigh
cheeky #spon

Does anyone know what the thing below the "heatmiser" is? It looks like some of the buttons say "Curtains open" "Curtains closed" "Bedroom day" and "Bedroom evening"? I can't make out the other two.
shan
morning quiff

LAshleigh wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:51 pm Edit: I didn't realize until reading the comments, but it looks like that is the green feature wall? Where in the house is it?
I've just seen a tweet that zoomed in on the bottom control panel on the green wall and it looks like the green wall might be in the bedroom? I'm terrible at embedding things but the buttons say bedroom day, bedroom evening, pathway, bedroom off, curtains open and curtains closed. It could also just be one of the spare bedrooms and they have the whole house rigged up with fancy control panels that open the curtains and alter the lighting based of the time of day. We did see a pic of Phil's golden pig with Dan's Tom Dixon candles in front of a green wall though and Phil sounded pretty proud of that feature wall in the stereos so I'm leaning towards their bedroom I think.

Edit: lol just saw your second post and you've already found most of this!
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:17 pm Okay I don't care about clothes but I feel compelled to identify the appliances, starting with the fact that their dishwasher is the Siemens iQ700, which would run them about £1029.00 assuming they got the freestanding one.
I don’t know the exact one but the washing machine (and dryer) is a Bosch because it’s a more expensive version of the one we have. You put the whole bottle of detergent in the machine up front and it automatically divines how much to use for each load based on weight. It also texts you when the wash is done 😂
kavat
pastel persona

See, the only thing Phil had to do for us to talk about him was post an appliance tour. That's the juicy stuff right there!

I liked it, this is fun short content that I think he can do really well if he wanted to. Very annoyed though that YT notifs don't seem to work with shorts :/
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Ok now this is some prime Phil content. Essentially house tour: fancy appliances edition. I'm here for it. Give me more.

Also, while it goes along in kind of the tiktok-y style, I appreciate that the editing includes captions/creative visual descriptions of sounds. It makes things fun and also more accessible! And while it seems like shorts just show up on web like regular yt videos and I assume Phil would put them up like his normal ones for captioners it's nice to start out with essentially english captions already.

I have kind of hypothesized that the green feature wall was in the guest bedroom that Phil films in? Cause it doesn't really seem to go with the aesthetic of the other bed (shout out to the rail) and black shelves, but I could see it in Phil's filming room with the white and light wood. But this is dnp's design choices we're talking about here so fuck if I know :lol:

Edit to add: Phil's wearing new? (or his back up pair, not sure) glasses. Also lil bit of ginge roots peepin out
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
shan
morning quiff

inanerat wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:23 am
I have kind of hypothesized that the green feature wall was in the guest bedroom that Phil films in? Cause it doesn't really seem to go with the aesthetic of the other bed (shout out to the rail) and black shelves, but I could see it in Phil's filming room with the white and light wood. But this is dnp's design choices we're talking about here so fuck if I know :lol:
Again idk how to embed tweets, but the pic of the golden pig in front of the green wall is on a black wooden desk/shelf! Which is why I was thinking it may be their actual bedroom, it looked the same as the other cabinetry in there. But it definitely seems the kind of colour that would suit the colour palette of the filming room more.

Edit: I think I figured it out!
starsandshards
living flop

EEEE I love the short! I'm also impressed by their fancy appliances. God, give us a house tour. I want to see how they ORGANISE - I'm obsessed with organising lately.