Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

If you want to watch with other fans, we're doing a PW viewing!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

A Date in the Life of Dan and Phil.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:12 pm A Date in the Life of Dan and Phil.
That's EXACTLY what this is and I adore it.

Someone in the phandomwatch chat described it as "how to get google to pay for your dates for you."
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I loved that. The downside of it is that now I just want more.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
000dia000
emo goose

So refreshing watching a dan and phil video after so longggg

It was fun, but also kind of meh, I'm just happy for some content

Rawtenstall was definitely the best town, sorry Dan. it has culture.

fav quotes:
Dan, fanning himself: "I thought it was meant to be cold up north"
Dan: "me and phil like to crush each other"
Dan: "i feel like he's going for the dogs and sugar tactic...which is completely working, damnit"
Phil: "...and that was the life of young phil" then, Dan: "what? cruising round town with a pack of bitches?"
:cactus:
dailybooth
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

Loved the video! In fact it made me log into the forum for the first time in years.

I think my favorite part was dan having to resort to a tour of car parks- as someone from a boring small town with nothing but parking lots i felt very represented 🤞
:lion: :prideflag:
thatone
delia smith

I always enjoy some joint content! However I can't help but feel kind of awkward about the overproduced vibe haha. I feel like it would've been more fun with dan or phil's editing style, although I get that's not how it works. Still, a nice break from studying and I'll never say no to content! :)
phancon
delia smith

That was such a fun video!!

I think overall, Phil's little town won for me, it seemed there was much more to do and it was very pretty. Although, I think my favourite segment was the bit at Dan's old theatre. The improv bits they did were hilarious and it was nice seeing a bit of Dan's childhood.
kavat
pastel persona

That was so fun!! It was absolutely "10 Dates with Dan & Phil". Only thing missing was a rose being handed out at the end.

The whole concept is so funny though, considering how Phil has always talked very warmly about his home town and Dan has always acted like his is the worst place on earth. We all knew Phil was going to win, drones or not.
Grey
lady door

I really love the photos that Phil posted on Instagram!! <3
The “all or nothing” was okay but Dan didn’t faux protest enough for my liking.

Speaking of Dan, I was surprised that he wasn’t obligated to promote the video by google a bit before it premiered but not really surprised that he isn’t present online. That’s just how he is these days.

I feel like summer would have been the time to do a book tour because a lot of adults were doubled vaccinated by then and the tour could have been outside. Planning to do it now, when the cases are spiking and it’s cold to be outside, doesn’t seem very smart to me. Since there was probably a real marketing team, I’m guessing they wouldn’t have had a winter book tour be the official plan? Who knows, not us. :lol:

Edit: WAIT WAIT WAIT, Dan tweeted replies to people about it! AND posted photos on Instagram! I just noticed that. Huh!
I'm having a stress.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

That was way too short.

Lovely. Great. Amazing. Incredible.

But mostly Too Short.

I'm obsessed with all these photos that almost make up for the lack of couple selfies in recent times.

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
kavat
pastel persona

I feel like we need to acknowledge Dan's tweet and these replies in particular
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

that was so fun and wholesome?? i feel like part of my soul has been healed lmao :rainbowtears:
judging from the trailer i'd expected them to do challenges against each other, not competing by trying to set up the superior date. i truly loved this.
thank's you were great
obvsly
#relatable

The video really fed us well. I had so much fun watching with phandomwatch! Thank you!!!

Found out that the production team in charge of the video is part owned by James Corden. They did HUGE projects of A listers in the past so I can only say I thought the budget was big and now it’s practically confirmed being ridiculously gigantic.

Here’s their project round up of 2020-2021 (uploaded 7 months ago)

I just hope they’d let them have the rest of the footage so they can do outtakes and such. Not gonna have my hopes up though..
Levitating
#relatable

I'm torn with this video!

Phil left so awkward - as he was clearly acting and not very well. It made me feel second-hand embarrassment!

I wish they had done it more privately. All that crew does not sit well with them.

Another is the editing: they told us it was not theirs, but it really made things look bad. It felt so rushed that I was getting anxious almost :rofl:

Dan was hilarious as usual, but of course in many bits he's acting that this makes it sound like he's making fun of us? Like when, as in a Kardashian's style, they talk about what's happening on their own. It's typical of a TV show, but I am used to a less constructed Dan, a more irreverent one, and this felt wrong.

They tried to make it somewhat meaningful when they sit and talk about their past as closed gay teens, but was not the best.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I really loved it. I actually felt like they did very well for it being a semi-scripted production! I watched a couple of the other episodes and those people had a) much less personal connection to their home cities, and b) focused in a lot more on big stunts as opposed to small stories about themselves. I'll take Dan and Phil looking at baby pictures of Dan at a theater over abseiling down a building any day, tbh.

I loved the bits we got of them conversing, though I agree with Dan that I wish it had been more just them hanging out and less exposition parts in between. I'm very amused that Dan was unwilling to go anywhere that he might have been spotted doing An Activity by people he might have known when he lived there? I mean, a car park and a closed theater, those are very Dan locations. As opposed to Phil, who proudly walked Dan down the streets of his town.

It made me soft and warm feeling how Dan was much more fond of Rawtenstall than Winnersh. There was never going to be a question about who won. Dan doesn't even like where he came from, and Phil's home town is where he fell in love with his long term partner and made so many lovely memories. Though I do believe that when they 'went out' they probably went to Manchester instead of hanging out around Rawtenstall, I know there were grocery trips out and probably coffee or snack runs.

Watching some of the other ones it also seems like Dan and Phil had more say in the personal elements of the places they visited, too. Like in the Belfast one, they have a Guinness at a random bar and then do some kind of water thing? Definitely no soft conversations on a bench overlooking the city. I wonder if this was Dan and Phil asserting some control before they agreed to be a part of it, or if the other people just didn't care and were happy to leave it up to production.

Anyway to wrap up; bloops or extra footage, pls.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Levitating wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:21 pm I'm torn with this video!

Phil left so awkward - as he was clearly acting and not very well. It made me feel second-hand embarrassment!

I wish they had done it more privately. All that crew does not sit well with them.

Another is the editing: they told us it was not theirs, but it really made things look bad. It felt so rushed that I was getting anxious almost :rofl:

Dan was hilarious as usual, but of course in many bits he's acting that this makes it sound like he's making fun of us? Like when, as in a Kardashian's style, they talk about what's happening on their own. It's typical of a TV show, but I am used to a less constructed Dan, a more irreverent one, and this felt wrong.

They tried to make it somewhat meaningful when they sit and talk about their past as closed gay teens, but was not the best.
I actually felt the exact opposite. I thought the hometown parts were really natural and Phil seemed pretty at ease being there. I thought Dans acting was actually a lot more noticeable - it didn’t take away from the video but he still puts on a persona when they’re on camera together and he’s only seemed to shake that in the Stereos. Over all though they are both comfortable with each other so it didn’t come off that awkwardly for either of them.

The editing was a choice and it was kind of painful but I think that was on purpose and more of a television show style editing.

i am curious if this is it and if Phil is going to get back to a more normal uploading schedule or if something else is in the works but I can’t say I’m sad the big projects are done for now. I don’t take Dan’s project teasing seriously until there’s actually proof so right now I’m just waiting for Phil to jump on the holiday adsense train so we get more content.
kavat
pastel persona

A big production like this is always going to feel a a little bit awkward. We're so used to the chill bedroom videos and unfiltered live shows that anything else feels... plastic. I did not for one second buy that Dan didn't know that Phil was going to come in by train. But it's still a lot of fun and I enjoyed it a lot.

And John did too <3
Amiaw
interactive introvert

So Youtube paid for 2 ads and a story on Great British Memes instagram for Dan and Phil’s video and I’m curious if anyone has paid attention to the other 3 videos - has Youtube done any out of the box promotion for them or did they do anything like this for Ganp? I wondered if dnp’s video had lower views but right now only Willne’s has more so they’re actually doing alright for what the video is and now i’m just stumped
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I really enjoyed it. It was just fun. Even though it was a production meant to appeal to a wider audience than just the already established dnp fans, it still felt like "them" to me. Like we know they love to indulge in fancy pastries so going to a bakery and then rating the treats ("that could park right in my mouth"/"I'd climb a hill for that") felt authentic (I wouldn't be surprised if they have a parkin codex established). I'm glad there wasn't any faux sentimentality portrayed for Winnersh.

A fave moment for me was Phil giggling in the background when Dan did his 'sad goose coming out as gay" improv. They really are each other's biggest fans. (Another moment that made me smile was Dan warning Phil not to fall off the stage, such a throwback and I also think Dan just instinctively is always on the lookout for situations where Phil could potentially hurt himself so he can alert him to be careful.)

While I always prefer a dnp edited "day in the life" video to something produced by other people, I didn't think the editing of this was too distracting. I actually lol'd when the crime scene van was pointed out while Dan was waxing poetic about Phil's hometown.
nigel ratburn

Logging in for the first time in forever bc I was on TikTok today and one of those "what your favorite of these says about you" videos came on my FYP and the category was "YouTubers you watched growing up" (watch below)

[tiktok]https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPd2rhyB8/[/tiktok]

I assumed Dan and Phil would be one of them, and sure enough they got "This is just a phase, you'll grow out of it eventually." Fair enough, I know a lot of people who have grown out of them, yadda yadda, and THEN I GO TO THE COMMENTS see that Hank Green has commented "I will never grow out of Dan and Phil."

John and Hank Green's adoration of Dan and Phil continues to be my favorite thing in the world
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

They've hit the youtube trending page!

Dan and Phil's video is second in views right now, as I think someone mentioned before, but definitely worth noting that one of the pair with the most views is a gamer with 16m subs so... comparably Dan and Phil are absolutely holding their own.
anna_begins

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:22 pm Dan and Phil's video is second in views right now, as I think someone mentioned before, but definitely worth noting that one of the pair with the most views is a gamer with 16m subs so... comparably Dan and Phil are absolutely holding their own.
Also dnp's has twice as many comments and almost as much likes which serves as a reminder that with Dan and Phil it's always been about the amount of engagement they bring to the table.
shan
morning quiff

I just had the chance to rewatch it since 4am probably wasn't the best time to really take it in and I just love the video so much. My only complaints are wanting more of everything, especially the temperance bar. Those clips were so cute and since temperance bars are a pretty unique concept these days I wanted to hear what everything was and a Phillie star rating.

I think I might be in the minority here but I really didn't mind the editing! There were a couple of moments that were a bit dated but those just made me laugh honestly. I liked the little talking head moments, even if they came off quite scripted in a couple of them. It felt different but to me that wasn't a bad thing. Phil's talked about wanting to try new things and this was new and different and something on a scale he couldn't have pulled off by himself. I still think they managed to get a lot of the Dan-and-Phil vibe. I loved the shot of the walking taken through the suspicious hole and the random clip thrown in of a cow licking another cow, it felt very Phil-esque.

There were so many great moments but my two favourite quotes from the video were the new Rawtenstall anthem, "Rawtenstall, Rawtenstall, if you've got no friends there's always a sheep", and Dan and Phil's relationship in a nutshell, "can we get ice cream mum?".

Watching this video has really made me mourn the travel series that never got to be. This is what I imagined it would be, just large-scale Dan vs. Phil's all over the country/world. If only YouTube would throw large amounts of money at them to revive the idea...
obvsly
#relatable

shan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:12 am Watching this video has really made me mourn the travel series that never got to be. This is what I imagined it would be, just large-scale Dan vs. Phil's all over the country/world. If only YouTube would throw large amounts of money at them to revive the idea...
omg. THIS! EXACTLY! coz I want to move to Rawtenstall right this minute. They made it look like this perfectly quaint fictional British county where everything is a little dated and quirky. A fanfic town where all the meet-cutes happen! :rainbowtears: