Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Poor Phil, he finally gets COVID and then he can't even monetize it.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Many stories much content today!

And a grid post:

When will Phil's real smile come back from war?

The stories are from the same exhibit Bryony posted from yesterday - they're on Phil's story and also some good deppy content on Adam's as well. I actually prefer Adam's bc he got a good pic of the two of them in black and white.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

So I was going thru who Phil follows on Instagram to find Adam so I could see the pic alittledizzy mentioned (which is quite good btw) and I noticed deppy follow an unverified couple @michaelandmatt whose bio says “a dentist and a nurse trying to be dads”. Has this been discussed here? Do we know if they are friends or just #couplegoals?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:28 am So I was going thru who Phil follows on Instagram to find Adam so I could see the pic alittledizzy mentioned (which is quite good btw) and I noticed deppy follow an unverified couple @michaelandmatt whose bio says “a dentist and a nurse trying to be dads”. Has this been discussed here? Do we know if they are friends or just #couplegoals?
Interesting find! They are also followed by Jimmy Hill of Capital Radio fame (used to do YouTube back in the day, kinda friends with Phil and they used to comment on each other’s early videos) So possibly they are just an influencers, couples goals kinda follow
shan
morning quiff

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:28 am So I was going thru who Phil follows on Instagram to find Adam so I could see the pic alittledizzy mentioned (which is quite good btw) and I noticed deppy follow an unverified couple @michaelandmatt whose bio says “a dentist and a nurse trying to be dads”. Has this been discussed here? Do we know if they are friends or just #couplegoals?
I remember seeing this account back in the day when insta still showed you what people you follow had liked and Phil liked one of their posts. I’d just assumed they were friends, or at least acquaintances, but I just went back to check it was the same account and saw that Grace Helbig follows them too. Maybe they were something to do with YouTube at some point? Probs a degree of couple goals too though, their posts are very, very cute!
phancon
delia smith

What's Adam's name on instagram? I'm intrigued now.
shan
morning quiff

phancon wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:13 am What's Adam's name on instagram? I'm intrigued now.
His account is still linked on Bryony’s insta story about the mascara! Agreed that his story of deppy is the superior post from their museum visit.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

phancon wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:13 am What's Adam's name on instagram? I'm intrigued now.
@qdqm_ for posterity
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

You go away for three days and suddenly Phil revitalizes his Insta with some good content. Rude.

I didn't get to Adam's story on time and can't seem to find it aside from screenshots and this edit on Tumblr.

Phil's are here:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Really enjoying the Monday Dan Content and I'll be sad when it's over. That said, this isn't my fave bit of the show that I've seen so far. Laughing at AI images is something you do in your spare time on social media (it's also very last month) and not a particularly strong concept for a bit in a live show imo. Maybe ironically, it could've been a AmazingPhil YouTube video.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan Stories:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
literally_formless
butt chair

Yeah, this is cute but it does seem WAY too internetty. Is there anything in that brain other than memes? If he goes out into the world and experiences real people while he's on tour, I expect that would be a huge creative battery charge. (This may sound mean. I don't feel mean! I hope he gets that creative battery charge)
shan
morning quiff

I didn’t mind the concept, perhaps already a little outdated now but it would have been everywhere at the time of the show. I thought it was entertaining enough for the first few slides but 10 minutes of it was way too much for me.

He said the performance was going to be split into 4 segments, yeah? Only one more to go! I wonder if he plans on uploading any other content before the tour kicks off? It would be fun to see a solo week in the life of prepping for tour a la II.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

shan wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:57 pm I didn’t mind the concept, perhaps already a little outdated now but it would have been everywhere at the time of the show. I thought it was entertaining enough for the first few slides but 10 minutes of it was way too much for me.

He said the performance was going to be split into 4 segments, yeah? Only one more to go! I wonder if he plans on uploading any other content before the tour kicks off? It would be fun to see a solo week in the life of prepping for tour a la II.
I agree with this, and it really makes me hope his tour isn't too heavily reliant on him reacting to things like this. In a way it is comforting to know all those bits of previous shows were genuine collaboration between Dan and Phil (and not mostly Phil's idea, like I kinda thought?) but in general I just... prefer Dan talking to him using visual props. Especially if he's going to attempt the 'pretend to be reacting to something for the first time' night after night.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A message from Phil!
'
AmazingPhil wrote:Hey besties

So I've been MIA from life since I was finally slapped in the face by the covid! I did so well avoiding it and then one friend descends on our house with a 'negative testing sore throat' and it's all over. It's taken me a while to return to life as I got literally EVERY SYMPTOM ON THE LIST. Here's my symptom review -

Throat - wait when did I decide to eat a giant piece of METAL? 1/10

Night sweat - omg did I pee myself or literally sweat so much the bed is now a swimming pool? 1/10

Taste - wait why does this cake taste like polystyrene? 1/10

Exhaustion - oh no I dropped the tv remote i guess it's gone forever - 1/10

Dizziness - hey remember that chronic dizziness well now have it DOUBLE! 1/10

Cough - hey remember when that kitten you are allergic to climbed inside your lung? 2/10 (extra point as it was a kitten)

No Smell - Do I currently stink? WHO KNOWS!

Fever - did you want to cook an egg on my head? - 2/10 (extra point as it saves the electricity of making an egg)

Anyone throwing around the 'it's just a cold' thing needs to get inside the bin and live inside the bin. I've been negative for a while but this is the first week I've felt alive enough to sit down and type something! Also lucky I didn't literally die woop.

I also was going to do a covid 'taste test' video but then my taste returned which I GUESS IS BETTER THAN NOT but my filming zone still stinks of mystery cheese I did not eat. I did film something else instead which you are getting tomorrow! Was I actually coherent? I guess you'll see!

As a celebration of being fully better I ventured out into London for some #culture and went to the future shock exhibit with some pals. I feel like you need to provide me with a rainbow laser art room before I'll pose for an insta pic. I'm trying to be less self conscious about my general appearance in photos but then BAM I do the awkward Arthur hand again - check him out in all his glory on my insta (I'm referring to my hand in the third person not myself) The exhibit was cool! I think it could have used one more instagrammable laser zone and maybe one less short film but I'd recommend it if you want to feel like you have entered the mind of a robot. There was also a short film of 2 shirtless guys pouring milk on each other and then hunting an emu with a large blade? At least I think? Maybe I still have covid brain idk

I'm gonna get back to editing! Hope you're all well, swell, and your lungs are clear as a bell.

Sending a vibe
And a gorgeous picture of himself.

Levitating
#relatable

Catallena wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:18 pm

Really enjoying the Monday Dan Content and I'll be sad when it's over. That said, this isn't my fave bit of the show that I've seen so far. Laughing at AI images is something you do in your spare time on social media (it's also very last month) and not a particularly strong concept for a bit in a live show imo. Maybe ironically, it could've been a AmazingPhil YouTube video.
I totally agree with this! I actually stopped watching because it was (almost literally) 'entertainment' he did not create, but was instead made by a machine.
It'd would have been much nicer to see him react to his fans' creative productions, as that would have been a collaborative thing.

I do like, though, that he's posting again. I see a lot of stand up on my feed and always enjoy it. It'd be great to have it from him <3 and them :curlsandquiff:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

New Phil video!

The good:
- His face. It's a good face. I like his face.
- It was a cozy vibe just watching tiktoks 'with' him.

The bad:
- Under ten minutes? For a concept that didn't really even have a 'limit.' He could have easily given us a twenty minute video of tiktoks that actually did more than scratch the surface and split it up with an ad spot in the middle.
- Continues his string of weird distanced videos. Two years ago this would have been what we called filler content between 'good' Phil videos, except at this point his entire channel is just filler content style videos.
- It would have been more entertaining if it was in the style of tumblr tag or instagram likes with Dan. Phil reacting to things Phil has seen before is no better a look than Dan reacting to things Dan has seen before. But them reacting to things each other liked, or what showed up on each other's for you pages? Gold.
kavat
pastel persona

This felt a little rushed to meet a sponsor deadline because the taste testing fell through. I enjoyed seeing his face and hear him giggle but it's not going in the rewatch pile.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Hey, remember content?

...is the only joke I want to make.

That video made me sad. I'm sure Phil's in a tough spot. I'm also not above admitting Phil is probably Over It (because the only thing coming to my mind is him laying out on a lounger in Bryony's sunglasses). Like. He did his job. 10 years of it. But still... I wish his videos had more meat. I wish anything Dan and Phil did in 2022 had any meat to it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:44 pm Hey, remember content?

...is the only joke I want to make.

That video made me sad. I'm sure Phil's in a tough spot. I'm also not above admitting Phil is probably Over It (because the only thing coming to my mind is him laying out on a lounger in Bryony's sunglasses). Like. He did his job. 10 years of it. But still... I wish his videos had more meat. I wish anything Dan and Phil did in 2022 had any meat to it.
I will give Dan full credit for the meatiness of Why I Quit Youtube.

But beside that, yeah. Nothing hits like it used to... for us, or, imo, Phil.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lmao this is amazing
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Well. That wasn't great huh? :?

I'm willing to forgive because the covid taste test video fell through, but it does feel like he went 'uhhh what's popular these days? tiktok is hot right? i guess that will do!' and that's kinda sad. It's indeed very similar to Dan's bit with the AI, just reacting to things he has seen before. And like, that's an entire genre on YouTube these days, but it really only works for some people and sadly I don't think Phil is one of them.

It's frustrating because I think we all believe they both can do better, but we're in a real rough patch atm and the near future isn't looking too optimistic.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

I was pretty excited when I saw the title because I really enjoy these kinds of videos usually, I still rewatch Jenna’s TikTok likes vids all the time, but something about this just didn’t do it for me. It did feel super rushed, it could be my ‘just woke up’ fuzzy brain but I felt like I didn’t have time to process what happened in one video before he had had his 2 second reaction and moved on to the next. On the plus side, at least we didn’t have to wait two months for this one?
A Rat Backwards
placenta

As a fellow millennial, I empathise with Phil's trepidation about TikTok - and, it seems, pretty much everything else about the new algorithm-driven internet.

I know there's been a lot of Discourse about Dan and Phil's content drop-off, but it's a symptom of a wider problem that Dan touched on in Why I Quit YouTube - most of these big platforms just aren't hospitable towards creators anymore (other than a select few that generate crazy amounts of single-topic viral video that can quickly pivot to any changes in the pipeline).

Even beyond Dan getting screwed over by YouTube Originals, this week alone has seen some bizarre scrambling from Meta and Google over what content they favour on their platforms across the board. When even the Kardashians are complaining that Instagram's new changes are bad news, you know the social internet has become a minefield to navigate and make a living from - I don't blame D&P for being over it and hopefully finding different outlets for their time and energy.
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

I agree with what everyone has said so far- it's great to see Phil's face, but watching someone react to things they've already seen isn't super interesting. He should have done what I saw another creator I follow do, which is create a brand new tiktok account, and watch tiktoks with the audience and see how it develops his FYP over time.

I spent a bunch of time this week discussing with a friend how different D+Ps careers would be if they grew their followings with todays internet- not just content-wise, but the way fan groups organize and treat their creators these days. Watching a few of the other fandoms I've found myself in over the past year or so has made me feel like I'm a lab scientist squinting down at a test subject going "hmm interesting" at how different things are now that even 5 years ago. Or maybe I'm just old.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"