Current NEWS Thread

sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

I'm not sure anyone here love to chat about what is happening in the world/news, but hey lets give it a try.

Are you guys following the Egypt Air hijack currently :facepalm:
hajime
dank meme

Just read about the hijacking, and my first thought was '...wtf'. Apparently the hijacker wants some female prisoners free crazy if he just wanted to deliver a message to his ex. What's going on in the world? The last few weeks have been an absolute mess, terrorists just all the place.
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

Taken from BBC News:

11:35

Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades appeared to see the funny side of the situation during an earlier joint press conference.
"It's not something which is to do with terrorism, you know what I mean," he tells reporters, before starting to chuckle.
"Always there is a woman involved," he adds, with more laughter as he walks out of the room.
Earlier reports suggested the hijacker had demanded to see his estranged wife, who lives in Cyprus.

Erm. Yeah. That makes it all okay and freaking hilarious then. :facepalm: :rage:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
sweetmm
angel bean

The world is confirmed full of idiots :rage: Ickle I just can't believe the jokes going around currently :wtf:
DryCereal
koi pond

sweetmm wrote:The world is confirmed full of idiots :rage: Ickle I just can't believe the jokes going around currently :wtf:
But from the leader of a country?!!! :wtf:

Anyway, it seems to be over and resolved peacefully-ish, with no casualties/victims, so there's that to be grateful for.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
sweetmm
angel bean

Turn out to be a custody issue :wtf:
Thank goodness no one was hurt.
akui
blobfish

I can't tell these late night talk show are news or not, but they are about US election so...

2:40 Stephen ask if the bird is voting for bernie, the bird say he will vote for trump because his whole family can nest in his hair.

But little birdie, you don't have to vote for trump, I found you a cozy new home.

majitzu
angel bean

akui wrote:I can't tell these late night talk show are news or not, but they are about US election so...

2:40 Stephen ask if the bird is voting for bernie, the bird say he will vote for trump because his whole family can nest in his hair.

But little birdie, you don't have to vote for trump, I found you a cozy new home.

sweetmm
angel bean

akui I follow US politics through The Daily Show (TDS); hilarious but at the same time scary

Dan should have had face swap his face into Trump's too ;)
akui
blobfish

sweetmm wrote:akui I follow US politics through The Daily Show (TDS); hilarious but at the same time scary

Dan should have had face swap his face into Trump's too ;)
Me too, i only follow US election through comedy shows like Colbert, Seth Meyers and SNL. It's scary that Donald Trump can actually draw a massive amount of supporters, it's surreal. I have no doubt that if Kanye run in 2020 he will actually win. Because Kanye himself have a good relationship with the democrats while Caitlyn Jenner has ties with the republican. He will get support from both parties and replace Trump to be the new world leader. Out with #Danbama, in with #Danye.

Also may I chant #MakeDINOFGreatAgain ?
akui
blobfish

icklebrina
living flop

Wow.
Definitely something to follow as the information comes out (and there's already lots of information! I only have a very cursory understanding of it atm). I am very curious to see what sort of ramifications this has down the road.

(Quick summary in case people are interested and have yet to hear about it: 2.6 terabytes of data were leaked about offshore tax evasion involving a Panama based company Mossack Fonesca, world leaders, and other rich and powerful people)
icklebrina
living flop

This looks to be a good place to start on their website: New ICIJ Investigation Exposes Rogue Offshore Industry
sweetmm
angel bean

Eyeing this to see any of my countrymen involved :?
akui
blobfish

Well, every politician and successful businessperson of my country is on the panama paper, great.
icklebrina
living flop

I'm actually rather surprised there are no big names from the US (yet)

This might actually be a better starting point: Panama Papers Global Overview
akui
blobfish

The story is full-on censored in my countries' internet.

Here is the german news found the leak first
http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/en/
daphenaxa
blobfish

the leakers have said more name are to come.
That's a bit dumb but I am super disappointed Jackie Chan is in that list.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
shikaritrash
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

it's not at all about panama papers but:
Trigger Warning :
homophobia/violence
I just watched a french news show and they were talking about two gay men who got beaten and left naked and bleeding in the streets of Morocco two weeks ago. This was filmed and put everywhere on facebook apparently. Some of the aggressors and one of the men got judged yesterday (I think) and the guy got more prison than his aggressors because being a homosexual in Morocco is illegal.
It just made me utterly sick to my stomach.
Then they interviewed 3 other gay men and a trans woman and everything they were saying was heartbreaking. They had to do the interview on a freaking boat for them not to be heard in their homes or in the streets.
After that they went and interviewed Moroccan journalists saying they were all about tolerance etc because society is like this etc but when confronted with a front page of their paper saying "Should we burn gays?" they said it was normal for them to do a title like that because homosexuality is a problem in society and they believe it's normal it's illegal. Saying also that two men kissing in the street is just not right at all, and THAT is the problem in society.
I swear it just made me want to punch my screen as hard as I could.
Sometimes I forget how the world is such a shitty place and why I sometimes don't keep up with the news :roll:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ dan senses tingling 24/7 soz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

Does anyone know what the reaction to the Panama Papers is like in GB with regards to David Cameron's father being on the list? I can't imagine anything less than outrage if that happened with the president of America. And apparently editor of Süddeutsche Zeitung responded to the lack of U.S. individuals in the documents, saying “just wait for what is coming next." Yikes.
akui
blobfish

daphenaxa wrote:the leakers have said more name are to come.
That's a bit dumb but I am super disappointed Jackie Chan is in that list.
He is a good actor but overall not a good man.
akui
blobfish

Update

- Jackie Chan has 6 offshore companies but found no improper use of them.
- People of Iceland are protesting out side their Parliament, calling for the PM to resign.
- Downing St refused to comment on the leak.
- Chinese government is censoring all the Panama papers related info on the internet.
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

you guys already shared all the important information so all i have to say is: of fucking course football is the reason* my country is involved in the panama papers scandal
(uruguay, even when we show up for international scandals we find a way to make it about football, it would be kind of hilarious if it wasn't so sad, at least luis suarez didn't bite anyone this time)

edit: * well not the reason, but it has to do with football, that's what i meant, i should go to bed
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
mez29
procrastinator

akui wrote:- Downing St refused to comment on the leak.
ugh classic tories
akui
blobfish

Update
- Messi' family denied any tax evasion.
- There are Americans in the leak, but non of them are famous
- Australia tax authorities already started the investigation on the leaked names, so does American tax office
- Russian spokesperson say the leak is a elaborated ruse (not), he denied it and say it's 'Putinphobia'
- In Iceland the protest continues, more than 16,000 Icelanders have also signed a petition demanding his resignation
- In UK, Jeremy Corbyn says to David Cameron "The Government needs to stop pussyfooting around on tax dodging."