Offtopic thread

timtam
lady door

angrymob wrote:
timtam wrote: Worst thing was it always came from people who were quite short. I'd never point out to someone who is short that they are really short. I guess that has something to do with being tall being more attractive than being short I don't know because I'm not sure that's true.
I think a lot of it has to do with that. Of course the grass is always greener on the otherside, but in general people usually prefer tall heights (at least in men, and of course they're the only ones who matter :roll:). People often flat out don't believe me when I say I'd rather date a guy under 5'6" (or that D&P's height is not actually a turn on, haha).

I could see a few short people pointing it out as a sort of revenge, since I know I've gotten so many comments from tall people about being short, often while also using me as an armrest. :sideeye: I don't think I'd every make fun of anyone for being tall, though, but I have mentioned it when meeting people, mostly out of awe and neck strain.

Relevant video as it shows the pros and cons of being both tall and short.
I generally don't mind people pointing my height to me now as I'm older and people do it less now. I play a lot of sport and people mention my long limbs etc and I don't mind. I don't expect people to never comment on it because it's something that does come up but people do it much nicer and more relevant now. But when I was in high school certain people brought it up all the time with no reason too as I would have never said anything about their height because I was so sensitive about mine. While what they said was seemingly positive there was this underlying snideness and rudeness that I hated. Clearly I'm just a little bit bitter about the whole experience though because it led to a lot of self esteem issues I have still have to work on :lol:

Haha I don't judge you for preferring men shorter than 5'6! I personally wouldn't mind a shorter guy but my problem is that a lot of guys do not like their partners being taller than them. Like tinder dates are the worst because I worry so much that they'll be shorter than me and they'll think I'm some tall freak (if that doesn't make my self esteem issues obvious i dunno what does :D). Also my definition of tall is different to others. My friend was talking about how this guy she met was sooo tall and I met him and he was about the same height as me which I do not consider tall :lol:

That got a bit rambly but I agree. It seems the grass is always greener on the side other. But that video made me laugh! Bry was a bit harsh on Tyler's height haha.
loststars
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

timtam wrote: Haha I don't judge you for preferring men shorter than 5'6! I personally wouldn't mind a shorter guy but my problem is that a lot of guys do not like their partners being taller than them. Like tinder dates are the worst because I worry so much that they'll be shorter than me and they'll think I'm some tall freak (if that doesn't make my self esteem issues obvious i dunno what does :D). Also my definition of tall is different to others. My friend was talking about how this guy she met was sooo tall and I met him and he was about the same height as me which I do not consider tall :lol:
Do you have any interesting tinder stories? :D I tried going on a date through it once, it was okay but nothing exciting. The app has been forgotten for a while now.

(and I love your avatar! totally agree with the term 'squish' haha)
(c)itscomicdans
DryCereal
koi pond

loststars wrote:
timtam wrote: Haha I don't judge you for preferring men shorter than 5'6! I personally wouldn't mind a shorter guy but my problem is that a lot of guys do not like their partners being taller than them. Like tinder dates are the worst because I worry so much that they'll be shorter than me and they'll think I'm some tall freak (if that doesn't make my self esteem issues obvious i dunno what does :D). Also my definition of tall is different to others. My friend was talking about how this guy she met was sooo tall and I met him and he was about the same height as me which I do not consider tall :lol:
Do you have any interesting tinder stories? :D I tried going on a date through it once, it was okay but nothing exciting. The app has been forgotten for a while now.
Once bitten twice shy as far as finding people online. Met a guy who seemed lovely, if maybe a little bit over-keen... went out a few times, all seemed to be going really well, riiiiiiiight up until he accused me of cheating when I cried off driving to his one night after a day spent teaching 4 fitness classes with 5 hours of teaching kayaking and sailing in between, when all I wanted to do was fall into a hot bath and into bed. To sleep.

We didn't speak again after I hung up the phone on him ranting.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

My best online dating fail (though not tinder, since it was aeons ago) was chatting to this guy who seemed nice, and we talked for a few weeks and then he sent me his pic and he was this guy who I knew from Uni who was the rudest, most misogynistic bastard in person. I don't think he ever knew why I blocked him on chat/email.
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

timtam that video. ''Are your parents mole people?''
I've personally never understood everyone's obsession with height when it comes to dating, I don't have a preference either way. I once dated a guy who was shorter than me and neither of us cared, it was only other people who seemed to find it funny, which I found irritating. I've never used an app like Tinder because I'm afraid it would just be awkward, but who knows in the future. Try new things, right. :)
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
Lucet
spork

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
Lucet wrote:IckleMissMayhem walked a few miles in ballet pumps today. Blisters... Blisters everywhere...
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!!! :itsokay:
I'm not a smart woman :lol: . Well, I thought it's going to be a short walk, but I ended up going to a few other places. Then the blisters happened. I ended up calling my fiance and telling him to pick me up :lol: . Went to a cafe as I was waiting for him, reassessing my life :lol:

I used to be into tall guys, but then as I grew older I was like "who cares, it's only height, you're not dating a height". But my current partner is 6'5" and previous boyfriends were over 6' tall. It kinda just happened for me. I don't get the fuss when it comes to this. Funniest part is when a girl is like 5' tall and she wants a bf who 6' or over.

And weird not really Tinder dates.
My last one was just before I met my fiance (nearly 5 years ago), can't remember the name of the dating site, but it was quite popular, especially in Ireland and UK. Started chatting with a guy, we were planning to meet and I really did want to meet him, but I was very busy with uni, job and kickboxing. I literally had no free time those few weeks and he was getting frustrated. At first I was apologetic, but then his frustrations got so intense, he was asking me where do I work, so he could come over during my lunch break so "we can have a chat". Red flags were raised and I blocked him. 3 days later, I accidentally met him at the bus stop. It was around 9pm and already quite dark. He definitely recognised me, but didn't say anything, probably because I had my "Blahblah Martial Arts" t-shirt on (I was after my training session). I just deleted my account then.
corn flakes
moon room

I live in ballerinas and boots, never owned a pair of converse and the last sporty shoes I bought were like 5 years ago.I own a pair of recently brought string formal shoes but usually I can't stand them and if I need them for a run or something like that I use my old high school ones. I'm weird like that, I can't stand to have to stop every now and then to tie my shoes or have my socks showing.

Height: I'm a gnome so I have always been envious of tall or average height people, it's not only for the typical beauty standars (long legs, or wearing a long jacket without drowing in it) but because after hs in my confusion regarding my future one of the careers I liked was of an airway hostess only to discover I'm not eligible.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

Total topic change!

Is anyone familiar with binaural beats?
I'm actually quite fascinated with it.
Basically it's this idea that certain sounds played at certain frequencies can affect our mind, our mood, and our bodies.

There's a thing that was kinda popular a few years ago called iDoser that used binaural beats like technological drugs. You paid a fee to download a "drug" and you had to listen to it at a certain frequency, with headphones. It's actually one of the only things that would help alleviate my chronic migraines.

An example of this is 18hz infrasound, also known as "ghost frequency".
18hz infrasound is hard for the average human to hear, but it's used a lot in movies, especially horror movies, to induce a feeling of anxiety and panic. It can even be used as a layer to normal music and our ears and mind still detect it on some level.

I'm currently listening to a 20min track with headphones just to see how it affects me.
I'm 12 min into this video and I'm honestly feeling mildly dizzy and occasionally catch myself grinding my teeth.
This shit is so interesting.

backrolls
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: they/them/their pls

Binaural beats are so interesting! I sometimes use them to try to sleep (I've had crazy insomnia for a few years, I can't sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time, right now it's 4.42 am :| )

I totally get them being used to induce a drug-like experience, the first time I heard any binaural beats I was under the influence, listening to music from tinny speakers plugged into a phone - someone put them on and it was so crazy good we didn't listen to anything else for the rest of the night :mrgreen:

And apart from anything else I just love the way they sound! I love drone/noise type music like black dice, fuck buttons etc, and they give me the same sort of vibes.
mez29
procrastinator

That video didn't have any effect on me. Maybe I just have rubbish headphones
timtam
lady door

loststars wrote:

(and I love your avatar! totally agree with the term 'squish' haha)
I don't have any super interesting tinder stories, I haven't used it in months. I did once go on a date with a guy I met online (kinda through friends) who the entire date criticising my appearance and pretending it was a joke and then wondered why I never wanted to speak to him again. Also lots of guys on tinder get annoyed if you don't response within a couple of hours like hello I have a life, I'm not on tinder all the time!

(haha thanks i basically want to squish his face every time I see it and then Phil pops up in the background)
corn flakes wrote:I live in ballerinas and boots, never owned a pair of converse and the last sporty shoes I bought were like 5 years ago.I own a pair of recently brought string formal shoes but usually I can't stand them and if I need them for a run or something like that I use my old high school ones. I'm weird like that, I can't stand to have to stop every now and then to tie my shoes or have my socks showing.

Height: I'm a gnome so I have always been envious of tall or average height people, it's not only for the typical beauty standars (long legs, or wearing a long jacket without drowing in it) but because after hs in my confusion regarding my future one of the careers I liked was of an airway hostess only to discover I'm not eligible.
I love ballerinas but I think that's because I've such a great pair for a year. They have fell apart and I can't find a good replacement :cry: But I find converse and vans so uncomfortable! I own a pair of vans and they look great but they give me the worst blisters. I'd wear my ugg boots every where if I could.

Omg I never thought about height restrictions for careers that would be devastating. I remember being upset I was too tall to be professional dancer (not that I could dance any good anyway). Kinda on topic my brother just found out he can't join the army/air force for a gap year after high school because he has acne. It's crap how genetics can influence your career!
cora808 wrote:Total topic change!

Basically it's this idea that certain sounds played at certain frequencies can affect our mind, our mood, and our bodies.

There's a thing that was kinda popular a few years ago called iDoser that used binaural beats like technological drugs. You paid a fee to download a "drug" and you had to listen to it at a certain frequency, with headphones. It's actually one of the only things that would help alleviate my chronic migraines.

18hz infrasound is hard for the average human to hear, but it's used a lot in movies, especially horror movies, to induce a feeling of anxiety and panic. It can even be used as a layer to normal music and our ears and mind still detect it on some level.

I'm currently listening to a 20min track with headphones just to see how it affects me.
I'm 12 min into this video and I'm honestly feeling mildly dizzy and occasionally catch myself grinding my teeth.

Hmmm I might check this out a bit later (I'm supposed to be studying so I don't want to feel gross if it works on me). Seriously though it's amazing how the brain reacts to things!
swofro
angel bean

Just a few seconds in and my teeth are chattering. Never been so quick to quit. Though I am not sure if reading the description beforehand, knowing what will happen have something to do with it.
Love is forever
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

Because of recent posts on various places on the forum:

Anyone who wants to talk about sexuality, relationships, stuffs, sad stuffs can just PM me, I'm open to all types of subjects, but I live in Europe so our timezones might not match.

(I should really empty my inbox, It will reach the limit @ some point)

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

Poe
rainbow nerd

cora808 wrote:Total topic change!

This really had a different effect on me than expected. In the first minute I caught myself being very tense a few times and my breathing was very fast in those moments as well. It's really interesting how the same thing affects us in such different ways and how the brain picks up these ghost frequencies.
Anonymousse wrote:Because of recent posts on various places on the forum:

Anyone who wants to talk about sexuality, relationships, stuffs, sad stuffs can just PM me, I'm open to all types of subjects, but I live in Europe so our timezones might not match.

Anonymousse I feel like I need to say this even tho it's just a little rambling:
This is coming from someone that isn't out of the closet not even to my family, so it may not apply to everyone but what you are doing is really a nice thing to do because it can make a lot of us feel more open and accepted in this little community we have here. It sure made me. I guess what I want to say with this awful post is thank you and everyone here for how helpful and accepting you all are.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

+1 I'm happy to chat with anyone who wants to chat about most anything, also on a European timezone, but I am little to no use on relationships/sexuality advice because I have literally zero experience in that department Anyhow happy to be supportive / a stranger to rant about something with on the internet

Edit: I can also chat in a bunch of languages if anyone's interested in that? (English, French, Dutch, mediocre Spanish & terrible beginners Russian)
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

bluebox-away wrote:

+1 I'm happy to chat with anyone who wants to chat about most anything, also on a European timezone, but I am little to no use on relationships/sexuality advice because I have literally zero experience in that department Anyhow happy to be supportive / a stranger to rant about something with on the internet

Edit: I can also chat in a bunch of languages if anyone's interested in that? (English, French, Dutch, mediocre Spanish & terrible beginners Russian)
How do you speak so many languages ? :shock: The only languages I speak are French and English, and the first one is my native language so it doesn't count.
:biheart:
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

Also am willing to chat to anyone who wants/needs it. I'm in the US (Pacific time zone). I don't have experience being closeted, per se, since it took me until about 40 to work out I wasn't entirely female and entirely straight, (Now I call myself "mostly female, mostly straight"), but I do have the experience of really being a middle-aged nose pervert, so I will happily provide pseudo-parental love from here.
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
PolarFox
truth bomb

Same here. If anyone wants to chat, talk anything... I'm apparently great wall to talk to. CET zone, so adding to the europeans.
Actually, as I mentioned in different thread, I see that there are many of us that are here to talk/want to talk to someone, so I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be bad to create some kind of groupchat support group.
I think twitter might have the groupchat dm system, other than that I know of things like whatsapp, skype or kik, but not sure how comfortable most of us would be sharing so much of our identity/making separate account fot this thing.
And in some cases we could be just trash together there.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
Anonymousse
flower crown

Poe wrote:
Anonymousse I feel like I need to say this even tho it's just a little rambling:
This is coming from someone that isn't out of the closet not even to my family, so it may not apply to everyone but what you are doing is really a nice thing to do because it can make a lot of us feel more open and accepted in this little community we have here. It sure made me. I guess what I want to say with this awful post is thank you and everyone here for how helpful and accepting you all are.
Aww

I guess we all try, I'm put into a slightly shit situation myself so I relate to "not being normal" or "not fitting in". Also I have worked helping people, so I do enjoy it.

But thanks
NarrysCanary wrote:
How do you speak so many languages ? :shock: The only languages I speak are French and English, and the first one is my native language so it doesn't count.
Start this thread from the beginning - we had the language talk @ some point.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

DryCereal
koi pond

Anonymousse wrote:
NarrysCanary wrote:
Start this thread from the beginning - we had the language talk @ some point.
We're a multi-lingual lot! :thumb:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

I will keep considering myself half multilingual until my English and French aren't this bad

To anyone who feels like chatting / venting / practicing their Spanish: message me anytime, we all have been in a dark place :platonic:
Anonymousse
flower crown

PolarFox wrote:
[offtopic]does anyone want to make confused support group chat somewhere? I mean, so many people wanting to talk... It could be fun. :platonic:[/offtopic]
Cometh to Eurovision chatroom?

How to get there -
http://indepthbants.com/topic310.html

- Manged

PolarFox
truth bomb

Anonymousse wrote:
PolarFox wrote:
[offtopic]does anyone want to make confused support group chat somewhere? I mean, so many people wanting to talk... It could be fun. :platonic:[/offtopic]
Cometh to Eurovision chatroom?

How to get there -
http://indepthbants.com/topic310.html
I was not sure that thing still works, amazing.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
Anonymousse
flower crown

This day has been shit,
This whole thing is shit.

This affects me so little,
I live so far away,
yet it really hits home, you know?

I live in a country where homosexuality is not viewed as "normal" and a thing that "shouldn't be talked about in school" and sometimes I do fear for peoples lives here.

Yet this sucks more than words can express, and my thoughts and well-wishes are with people who were affected even by the slightest bit by the shooting in Orlando.

This is terrorism,
but we can't let them win.
- Manged

ostiral
sofa crease

Same, i hate listening information about it. I hate when something like this is happening. Every act of terrorism makes me really sad, mad and angsty.
I live in central Europe and my country is difficult too, to say the least. Our nation is split into two.

From better things, my national team just scored a goal in European Championship!
Sorry for my english.