when/how did y'all first get into the phandom??

You can make your first post here!
hophigh
squish
Pronouns: she/her

dansaidphanisntreal wrote:"the phandom"

no because you're not allowed in the phandom if you don't think phan is real lmfao, unless you enjoy being cyberbullied ofc
please stay on topic, or take this conversation elsewhere.
jesp
why bother

Moderating
hophigh wrote:
dansaidphanisntreal wrote:"the phandom"

no because you're not allowed in the phandom if you don't think phan is real lmfao, unless you enjoy being cyberbullied ofc
please stay on topic, or take this conversation elsewhere.
hophigh, leave the moderating to the moderators.
tylerrjoseph
butt chair

this is a tad but boring buttt

last year around end if july i was on a car trip home after a vacation (the drive was from new orleans back to fl so it was no quickie) my friend at the time loved d+p, personally i thought they were annoying because i she always ran around saying dont cry craft and i was tired of it. anyways i was bored because it was a hecking long drive so i thought to myself 'desperate times call for desperate measures' and there and then i watched my first dinof video and oh boy i didnt know that impulse decision would drastically change me as a person, i like to think for the better though !
--> platform 7, manchester picadilly station
buffy
tol bean

Funny looking back now, but my first exposure to the boys was in Jack Howard's video of his bday when he said he saw Dan's orgasm face lol. Then I watched their react to teens react vid and quickly devoured both their back catalogs. I've been a proud phandom member (who lurks on forums but never posts) ever since. Maybe I'll offer an opinion here and there as I love reading all of yours!
Lilac
placenta

My story's kinda boring, but basically my friend shared a bunch of deppy vids on Google Plus (yes we actually used g+ back then) so I decided to check them out. Initially I only watched Dan but eventually got into Phil.
It wasn't until I discovered GG last year that I joined the phandom. The mystery behind D&P's relationship got me really intrigued so I started regularly lurking on the threads, made a phan Tumblr, and the rest is history :P
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I only fell down the dan-and-phil rabbit hole really really recently. I blame my husband. :lol:
I never really paid attention to any youtubers myself but he used to watch some of Phil's videos a few years ago. Sometime during this past summer he re-found an appreciation for them and started binge-watching all things D&P, and then started sharing videos with me. Pretty sure his motivation was "you can't judge me for watching this if you do too." :lol: I think the first video I saw was their Just Dance one on DAPG and I loved how much it reminded me of watching my friends play the same game, since they are about as coordinated and graceful as D&P. It was a speedy descent into the trashcan from there.

Needless to say I was also curious about the individuals behind the videos and their relationship, whatever type of relationship it is, so that's how I ended up lurking here. Not an interesting story, I admit.
spider
ar·tic·u·late

pilotlight is your husband also on IDB?
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

The first time I watched Dan was when I watched his 7 Second Challenge video with the cast of the hunger games. I thought he was really random because of all the words I had to pause 100x to see. A few months later I started watching him and then I obviously found out about phil and I have been watching them ever since 8-)
pilotlight
#relatable

spider: Nope. Not yet anyway. :lol:
frkin-zazzed
drama llama
Pronouns: they/them

I got into Dan and Phil after my best friend at the time forced me to watch 'How to make British Pancakes' back in 2011. I assume she found them through reccommendations because we were big into charlieissocoollike (still my number 1 bae ngl i almost cried when i met him at cereal time live).

At the time I really didn't like Dan (look at me now, past me) but I subbed to Phil. About a year later I gave in and subbed to Dan and I've been literal trash ever since
helvetica
sofa crease

probably from recommendations b/c I watched a lot of British youtube especially charlieissocoollike.
I wasn't that interested in until I watched the MyMusic Fine bros sitcom(does anyone else remember that?) and the scene girl mentioned danisnotonfire and amazingphil and charlie in the same sentence and that led me down a rabbit hole to the fantastic foursome ->phan etc and I've lurked ever since
ngl tho i still admire PJ the most bc he's just so creative and weird but deppy are more fun to respectfully stalk
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

It was probably around late 2013 when they started their gaming channel i was introduced first through their gaming content (i mainly clicked on it because handsome britishboys.jpg) found them funny, then looked at dans channel funny anecdotes relatable, then phils channel it was hard to get into but after a while it grown on me. Been a fan ever since.
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
seaphil
not a first-time poster

Hi!

I first got into Phil in the summer of 2011 after I weirdly?? stumbled upon his "lion roar" video and wondered how such a silly video got so many views. I watched Phil for a long time after that and some of Dan's videos, but I found Dan more abrasive and a bit rude so I only really got into Dan in late 2012. After that he got a bit more mellow and sincere and i've loved them both ever since. They're the only Youtubers I've really followed deeply for years, but recently I've gotten in Louise a lot as well.
CoolDoggo
smol bean

in 2014 i started going out with a pretty boy who is now my ex boyfriend (sad sad story) (not really we're cool)
but he got me into a lot of cool music, tv shows and fandoms
and obviously The Phandom
and i became a better person (i mean trash)
he was really fanboying over phan and i thought hey i want to know who are they
and he sent me a link to "dan and phil frolic with kittens" from bbc radio 1 channel and i thought omG now i know why are you fanboying so much
that is a representation of me then
and that is a story of me falling into a big trash can
what are you fucking gay
simmehchan
butt chair

It was 2012 and I was watching Hunger Games videos, and I somehow got onto this:

I must have watched a few videos, subscribed then forgot about them, then found them again when they showed up in my sub box. Then it was mostly a looooooot of Tumblring, during the war that was the 2012 phandom. :sideeye:

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
nyehhehowell
smol bean

In late 2012/early 2013 I was on wattpad (REGRET) searching through QnA roleplays (REGRET) of Minecraft YouTubers (SUCH REGRET) and one of them mentioned Dan and Phil, so I did some searching and wound up on Dan's channel. I watched a few videos, (I can't remember what my first one was, I will go down with this ship or fandoms maybe?) subscribed, and basically forgot he existed for a few months, until I met a friend who was in the fandom, and she dragged me into it with her! She had me convinced that they were actually (for sure and publicly) dating.
~a post halloween baking universe~
lanie
first-time poster

It was around June of 2015. I was scrolling through Instagram and at the time I had been following someone named Brooks who was a fan of Dan and Phil and had posted a lot about them. At this time, I had heard a bit about them and finally decided to actually check them out. The first video I watched was the Photobooth Challenge, followed by their reaction of teens reacting to them. In July I became more involved in their videos and decided to make a phan account on Instagram and since then I've been obsessed.
DatCog
blobfish

I blame my daughters for getting me hooked on Dan and Phil about a year ago...they'd already been watching for a few months and kept showing me their favourite videos like the Photo Booth Challenge, the various PINOFs and the Sims 4 series and and I found them very compelling. I watched all their other stuff whenever I could get the opportunity and that's how I ended up here!
heart eyes howell
phillion/danosaur <//3

I first saw Dan in the video "The Truth About December", (it was the latest video uploaded) and I just binged watched loads of his videos then saw he collabed with Phil then checked his channel out then I've been in love ever since then!

(Also, I'm not quite sure about this so that's why I don't insert it when I talk about how I got into them, but I'm pretty sure I saw Phil's Christmas Cookies video first but ages before I got into them.)

And then on the 23rd of December 2016 it was my 3-year mark of watching them! ♡
laila
not a first-time poster

i was a pretty heavy viewer of youtube and i stumbled on dan and phil vs. tumblr around the time it came out (probably mid 2013, i can't be bothered to look it up lol) but didn't get really into them until psycho thoughts. i thought dan was cute so i went on a video watching rampage and rediscovered phil through that. i briefly watched phil in like 2012 but i don't count that.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

i posted about this in my intro but i'll go more in detail. mine is sort of confusing?

i do remember seeing a phan gif, from the halloween baking video when they made the brownie graveyard. it was made by this awesome tumblr (thelionandthellama which is still active i think) and i saw it said phan and i was like..what's phan? and then i looked it up on youtube, and stuff and started watching it and went down the phan trash hole. i'm not sure though..i think i had watched them before them briefly? but didn't get into them. i watched psycho french teacher as my first video from dan and i can't remember what phil's was.. i think it was one of the pinofs? but i do remember watching a hell of a lot of phan tributes on youtube constantly and getting the songs stuck in my heads when i was in 9th grade. i was obsessed with them for about a year, constantly posting about them and everything on tumblr and facebook i think.

and then..recently, about two months ago i started watching them again. i'm not sure what prompted me to, i think it was a gif on tumblr or something but i was interested in seeing what they were up to, and then it lead to me watching them again and getting obsessed again and going on many binge sprees of their gaming series videos. however i'm more into dan than i am into phan now. i still love phil just..dan a bit more.. don't hate me. and..now i'm stuck being yet again. my sister gets annoyed with me bc i bring them up a lot and she things they're cringe and some people judge me on fb for watching them but i could care less lmao.
:transheart:
lurkin
squish
Pronouns: they/them

Got into Dan first May of 2012 after he was recommended in a charlieissocoollike video (I remember the video was "How to Speak Northern". I hated him at first--thought he was an emo ripoff of Charlie, but now here we are. I watched Phil for the first time maybe a couple days after I discovered Dan. Unfortunately, I can't remember which was the first Phil video I watched...

Now I've dedicated 5 years and 2 blogs to them. Thank God I've mellowed out a little since 2012.
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ugh *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
momoroki
glabella

A friend recommended Dan to me in December 2011! Nowadays we definitely aren't friends anymore (had a bit of a falling out) but I'll always be thankful for her introducing me to Deppy.
I was a complete and utter Dangirl at first - sometimes I would even avoid videos if they had Phil in it (I KNOW, THE SHAME) because I thought he was weird - 11 year old me had bad taste. But I slowly, slowwwly started really liking Phil and it's ended up with me being the utter Phil trash I am now.
buttrito
smol bean

i got into them in 2009-2010 when youtube was just picking up the whole vlogging stuff and people actually began to be serious abt it.
I mainly just had a giant crush on phil and didnt really care for dan until 2014 when he started being a person i could relate to more and really started inspiring me.

However i did lose interest in them for about a year but now i love them more than ever.
Yaz
tol bean

Hi! I thought it would make sense for me to make my first post about how I found them.

Quiet a while ago (perhaps 2011?) I used to watch couple tags or cute little vlogs when I was feeling lonely. There was this british couple in their early 20s and they were just married, I found their husbands tag, enoyed it and started watching the other videos on the right that youtube suggests. One of the videos I clicked on was of Dan and Phil. It was a video where they were sitting on the floor and talking about robes and stuff I don't even remember, I've never seen it again anywhere. I thought they were together and found their dynamic lovely and funny, checked some of their other videos from time to time. It didn't even occur to me at the moment that they might not be together. Then I kind of forgot about youtube for like a year or maybe even longer.

One day after I discovered tumblr and fandoms (my first one was glee and it was traumatic tbh), I decided to check dan and phil's tags and oh my god did i regret it. Apparently the phandom was going through some kind of drama at that moment. The tag was filled with people scolding others and freaking out about fans ruining their friendship and I was like 'what?'. I was so surprised to find out about all these drama that I frantically started searching for some blogs that explain everything and I overdosed myself on information until I got fed up and walked away from both of them because I was put off by some of the things I heard them (mainly Dan) say. I was already in one fandom that was filled with speculation,fighting, drama and I had no intention of getting myself into another.

Their gaming channel was what sucked me back in honestly and my interest in them started growing rapidly in the last 2 years. But these last few months especially made me so fond of them so I decided to join here. So, hello again! :D

Wow, so sorry for the word womit. I need to learn to express myself with fewer words, I'll work on it, promise :thumb: