Music Thread ["Three Albums You Like" Game]

Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

Post 3 albums that you like and your favorite song in that respective album and why? (optional) Maybe we can discover new music together :D

ok ile start
Too Weird to live and too rare to Die was the first album of p!atd that i listened too
Girl/Girl/Boy

Torches for me was how i got into music seriously
Warrant.

Some nights is an album for when i want to wallow in sadness
All Alone- upbeat sadness :cry:
Last edited by jesp on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
jesp
why bother

Moderating

Hi Skeletorsrighthand, welcome to the forum.

We already have a music thread here for general music discussion, but rather than closing this thread, I've edited the title since it seems that you want a slightly different discussion to the other general music thread.
daphenaxa
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

"What would the community think" always reminds me of this moment in Love Actually when the cheated wife says that Joni Mitchell "taught her how to feel". I think this was this Cat Power album that taught me how to feel. I think it is really difficult for me to feel as connected to music as I was at that time when I was maybe 11/12 and listened to this album. My favourite song is "Fate of the human carbine" (which is a cover/rearrangement)
Regina will always be one of my favorites, all her albums are amazing. I chose Far because that's the one I have been listening to the most recently. My fav song on it is probably "The genius next door"
I hesitated because I wanted to put a Kid Cudi album but couldn't chose which, then I thought of Jamie XX album but finally I chose Chet Faker. Idk what's my fav song on it.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
lishachi
eclipse shirt

ill put these under spoiler cus they're massive pictures idk why
Royal Blood. been one of my favourite albums for 2 years. fav song is..... Loose Change or Little Monster

The Pretty Reckless. also one of my favourite albums for like 2 years. fav song is probably My Medicine.

Muse. probably my favourite band, the 2 up there being favourites too. this album
fav song is probably Hyper Music or New Born. or Bliss. shoutout to my grandad for playing Muse when i was younger and d&p for mentioning them as it brang back memories and helped me rediscover them.
this thread is an awesome idea btw
:biflag: :blackheart:
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

lishachi wrote:ill put these under spoiler cus they're massive pictures idk why
Royal Blood. been one of my favourite albums for 2 years. fav song is..... Loose Change or Little Monster

The Pretty Reckless. also one of my favourite albums for like 2 years. fav song is probably My Medicine.

Muse. probably my favourite band, the 2 up there being favourites too. this album
fav song is probably Hyper Music or New Born. or Bliss. shoutout to my grandad for playing Muse when i was younger and d&p for mentioning them as it brang back memories and helped me rediscover them.
this thread is an awesome idea btw
Thanks its a great way of getting people to talk while also discovering new music
i'm kinda familiar with muse but dont really listen to them a lot starlight would probably be my favorite song by them.
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
human
dan hand trash

Ooh, I love threads like this. I found this quite hard butttt:

I am a Glambert and have been since 2010, but this album is forever my favourite. Soaked was written by Muse, which I knew straight away when I heard it without even seeing the writing credits, and it's a wonderful song.

Green Day were the first non-pop band I got into as a kid and I've been a fan since I was about 14 or 15. Which was a long time ago! I'm over 30 now and still love them. Naturally, Dookie and Smoothed Out Slappy Hours was more what I grew up with, but when this album came out I literally fell in love again and I think it's by far their best material. My favourite on it is Peacemaker, not one many pick as their favourite, but I'm obsessed with it. Love these guys so much. Love the new album too.

Last choice is easy for me. I remember my sister getting me into Linkin Park when I was a teenager, when nu metal was new and edgey. This album has been through a lot with me, I literally wore out the CD in my discman, I love it so so so much. Favourite song was and has always been Pushing Me Away. They were the first rock show I ever to also at Docklands Arena where I was a very naive 18 year old or so and almost died in the crowd hahaha. Amazing. Love LP always.
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

human wrote:Ooh, I love threads like this. I found this quite hard butttt:

I am a Glambert and have been since 2010, but this album is forever my favourite. Soaked was written by Muse, which I knew straight away when I heard it without even seeing the writing credits, and it's a wonderful song.

Green Day were the first non-pop band I got into as a kid and I've been a fan since I was about 14 or 15. Which was a long time ago! I'm over 30 now and still love them. Naturally, Dookie and Smoothed Out Slappy Hours was more what I grew up with, but when this album came out I literally fell in love again and I think it's by far their best material. My favourite on it is Peacemaker, not one many pick as their favourite, but I'm obsessed with it. Love these guys so much. Love the new album too.

Last choice is easy for me. I remember my sister getting me into Linkin Park when I was a teenager, when nu metal was new and edgey. This album has been through a lot with me, I literally wore out the CD in my discman, I love it so so so much. Favourite song was and has always been Pushing Me Away. They were the first rock show I ever to also at Docklands Arena where I was a very naive 18 year old or so and almost died in the crowd hahaha. Amazing. Love LP always.
(sorry for the late) reply but ohh god green day *memories of high school comes flashing back* though i never really listened to music back then but they where popular enough then that i knew who they where 21 guns was the shit, though i kinda disliked the emo culture that was surrounding the band i still liked them. my favorite song by them is probably boulevard of broken dreams

i never really listened to linkin park but i can probably remember a few of there songs if you played them to me.
iero
phabergé

my chemical romance - three cheers for sweet revenge
my all time favourite album, i can listen to it over and over. it's the album that introduced me to 'alternative' music which is now a huge part of my life so i can say this album changed it. my favourite song is either 'i never told you what i do for a living' or 'cemetery drive'.

the smiths - meat is murder
another album that changed my life as it gave me the final push to turn towards vegetarianism. i can relate to a lot of the lyrics on this album, i love it and morrissey's voice soso much. my favourite song is 'that joke isn't funny anymore'.

bjork - vespertine
i found it hard to pick a 3rd, it was a tie between this and viva hate by morrissey but i didn't want to pick another morrissey after having the smiths 2nd. the music is so beautiful and when combined with bjork's ethereal voice it makes a perfect album. in my top 5 of all time for sure. my favourite song is 'pagan poetry'.
DryCereal
koi pond

Love Frank Turner. Seen him play live.. three times? I think?

Got to go see The Script live when I was working in the Middle East in 2011. Twas a fab show & night, and this just reminds me of that, and being out there in general. Good memories! :)

#StageyTrash (Couldn't narrow it down to any one show, don't even ask me!) :D
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Favourite song is either Pretending or Heartache Every Moment. I was soooo in love with this band and the singer when I was in high school (I even got a heartagram tattooed on my wrist), and I still love them now even though now I think their lyrics are generally just awful lol.

Here Comes the Sun. Always helps cheer me up or calm me down when I'm having a bad day.

Tied between Lithium and Lounge Act for favourites, but I pretty much love the entire album. Nirvana was one of the first rock bands I actually got into. I totally wanted to be in a band. :lol:
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

I could talk about music and albums all day so narrowing it down to just THREE was killing me, but here they are:

Arcade Fire- Funeral

I first listened to this album when I was fifteen or sixteen and it completely floored me. It definitely changed the way I thought about music. My favorite track is ''Rebellion (Lies)'' but you should definitely listen to the whole thing, it's a beautiful, post-apocalyptic, dream of an album. Also, David Bowie said it was his favorite album of all time. Have faith in Bowie.

Nick Drake- Pink Moon

This album is quiet and gentle, full of strange imagery about the natural world, and yet is very soothing. Nick Drake was a very shy, isolated individual and you can hear that reflected in his music. Favorite track is ''Place to Be''.

David Bowie- Hunky Dorky

I love most of Bowie's early stuff but this will always be my favorite just because it makes me so happy. My favorite track is ''Life On Mars'', which is eerily relevant right now in wake of the elections. I'm still devastated by this man's death. :(

Honorable mention:

Pretty Odd- Panic! at the Disco

I was a massive Panic! fan as a teenager and still am to a certain extent today. As a sad teenage, this gem got me through some tough times. Also, I think its genuinely lovely, I love the folk/rock late '60s vibe this album has going on. Favorite track is ''Behind the Sea'' (because Ryan Ross's beautiful voice, am I right.)
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
jesp
why bother

Fashionably late is my middle name.

I was thinking about old times, and thought about some of the music that I listened to growing up.

David Gray - White Ladder

I had this on cassette because my mother couldn’t afford to buy a CD player for me, but kid-me thought he was the coolest, and so grown up, listening to grown up music. When I finally got a CD copy of it, and somehow realised that you could rewind the first track to find a hidden track, man, it was the most amazing thing.

City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love

Turns out this was when I actually felt like a grown up for the first time. I’d made some friends and gone to try and start a career in "music" {read: we were super terrible and horribly untalented and even the dingiest of pubs would have nothing to do with us}, and I really felt free and that I was in control of myself for the first time. That feeling lasted, honest.

RJD2 - Deadringer

I just liked it a lot.

Honourable mentions:

Beck - The Information
Editors - The Back Room

They’re gloomy, or dark, and they suited super mopey teenage me so well. I’d walk round gloomy council estates listening to these.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

Three albums I like a lot... let's see.

Gasoline
I really like Gasoline from that album, specifically bc it was the first song I heard of hers I believe. Warning; it's explicit I believe, not sure if the swears are censored or not.

God, If You Are Above...
I also really like this song from Falling In Reverse's album, Just like You. It's also explicit I believe, sorry ;A; I like this song a lot because I can sort of relate to it. Plus I find Ronnie's voice very soothing for some reason ironically..

Let's Get This Terrible Party Started
Now this one is definitely explicit..jeez I'm sorry eep. Also if this is innaproriate you can remove it. I really like Ninja Sex Party and have ever since I found out about Danny from Game Grumps almost 3 years ago. Jeez time flies by... I like the song because it's really funny and it's one of my favorites on the album.
:transheart:
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

If you can't tell, I'm Marianas Trench trash, so...

After listening to their Ever After and Astoria albums, I came to the realization that my favorite album of theirs is actually Astoria.
Some of my favorite songs are included in there (One Love, Wildfire, Dearly Departed and Forget Me Not), which I just recently realized.
One Love is probably one of the most beautifully-written songs I've ever encountered because... look at this first verse:
I wake up tonight, feeling paper thin and I'm paper white
You say, "Just come back to bed"
Voice sounds strange, but I soon forget
And your sad blue eyes, like mine
Full of pity now, but I don't know why
The light dims without regret
'Til now you're nothing more than a silhouette
But just hold quick, you're fading right
In a cold trick of the light
I'm just so sick, I thought you might be here
But you di-disappear
At first, it kind of gives the illusion that someone is there with him, right? Then, the chorus comes on:
Now I wake up and I forget that you were gone
A phantom limb is all that I am hanging on
So don't stop, no stopping it yet
What if the one true love's the only one that you get?
And you've been wishing but you don't know how to stay
And I've been broken but I'm better every day
So don't stop, no stoppin' it yet
...I don't know how many times I cried because of this song, but I cried.
Also, the bridge:
What if you still feel me too, still?
What if there was still a way of taking care of this?
What if I wake up tonight and you are real?
What if we could find a way to try to heal?
What if there's no stoppin' us yet?
What if there was still a reason not to go?
What if there was still a little bit of hope?
Also, the song has a really good rhythm, and is very singable, so...
(Just adding a link to the song here, in case someone is interested):
I won't be reviewing anything for the other two because it's still great (like the rest of their songs are), but One Love is the one that tugs on my heartstrings.

Just go pass their creepy album cover, and you'll be met with good (great) songs! My personal favorites are: Fallout, By Now, and So Soon.

Personal favorites: Good to You, Masterpiece Theatre II, and Perfect.

Fun fact (well, it's subjectively fun): I actually encountered Marianas Trench a few years back (their music, obvs), and their first song that I actually listened to is All to Myself because... well, I was actually searching up some... D18 (to anyone who doesn't know it... It's a KHR ship, and is probably one of the biggest ships in the fandom) doujinshis (to anyone who doesn't know what a doujin is... just look it up) on Youtube (don't ask me why I'm looking up doujinshis on YT). I actually really like it, but since I'm more of an "otaku" read: weeaboo I quickly disregard any music that is English and deleted it ._. Now, in a twist of fate, I encountered Marianas Trench again last year (again, their music, obvs) because I was actually searching up some Phan edits. This time, it's Desperate Measures. I'm really glad for it though because I was running out of music to download (I try to look up songs/music which I rarely hear from my classmates, and it's actually just another reason to rant to a friend of mine who has the same taste in music as me).
cactusbraelyn
not a first-time poster

ok hi!! first post on here, please bare with me :]

(warning: i am a frigging nerd.)

1)
i frigging love all the songs on the front bottom's self titled album. my favorite, though, would have to be 'legit tattoo gun' and 'the beers'. the first time i met one of my best friends, they played this song and introduced me to this band and i am so thankful!

2)
declan mckenna has been one of my favorite artists for awhile! i am a young aspiring musician myself, and the fact he started releasing music at 16 has always been inspiring! my favorite song by him is probably paracetamol, written about the LGBTQ+ community, especially the younger teens in the community.

3)
im so lucky to be seeing these guys live in a few months! i love everything about their music to their anti authority lyrics to their guitar riffs. my favorite song off this album would probably be 'mercy' (underrated song :'0). my favorite muse song ever, tho, would have to be 'i belong to you'!! i love the instrumental in that.
pluginbaby
smol bean

I came into this thread with three albums in mind, and two out of three had already been posted! You all have really great music tastes. Out of what's been posted, my favorites are Origin Of Symmetry, if my username didn't indicate that enough (Hyper Music is my favorite too!), Pretty. Odd., and I was surprised and delighted to see three Marianas Trench albums here! Probably since I rarely hear anything about them because I live in the US, but I've seen them live twice and they're ridiculously good, probably in my top 3 favorite bands.

My 3 picks:
The Like - Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?
Taking things a bit more indie, this is the perfect album for a mellow summer day. It has a very whimsical and somewhat gloomy vibe for me, personally. All the songs on the album are solid, and it breaks my heart that the band never got much success. Oh, and all of the band's members were girls, which in my opinion makes it all the more cooler.
Favorite songs: What I Say And What I Mean, Mrs. Actually

Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
Sooo, I've been going through a bit of a Muse phase lately, can you tell? I avoided them for a good while since I was worried people would think I only liked them because Dan and Phil do, but I heard Undisclosed Desires on someone's blog MP3 player and I was hooked. I've actually had this album for a year or two, but never really appreciated it until recently. It's consistent, powerful, and hard to wear out. Probably tied with Origin Of Symmetry for my favorite Muse album.
Favorite songs: City Of Delusion, Knights Of Cydonia, Supermassive Black Hole, Map Of The Problematique
(Believe me, it was hard enough to narrow it down to just those 4.)

Mae - The Everglow
The band name Mae stands for Multisensory Aesthetic Experience, and boy, do they live up to it. The instruments harmonize perfectly with each other, and their chord progressions are unexpected and unique. I can't even really place them in a genre, to be honest. Just listen to them if you get the chance, I think they're so wonderful that I'm not even trying to keep them secret. This album is full of gems.
Favorite songs: Painless, Cover Me, Someone Else's Arms
eel
dank meme

Wow I'm so late. Like seven months late. Anyway here is my list. Feel free to judge my shitty taste in Music.
1Image
Modern baseball is quite possibly my favorite band. It was really hard to choose an album. I really love the ep they did with Marietta, but I think my favorite album of theirs is Sports. I particularly love Cooke and Hours outside in the snow.
2Image
I loved the beatles as a young child. My first album was one of theirs, but I don't remember which. Revolver is the album I listen to most often. My favorite songs are She said she said, and I'm only sleeping.
3Image
I am aware that it is very emo of me to include American Football's first album. I just love it. And I can't pick a favorite song. If I'm going to listen to this album I listen to it as a whole.
Just a fish who loves watching Dan and Phil.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

CallMeAyana wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:36 pm If you can't tell, I'm Marianas Trench trash, so...

After listening to their Ever After and Astoria albums, I came to the realization that my favorite album of theirs is actually Astoria.
Some of my favorite songs are included in there (One Love, Wildfire, Dearly Departed and Forget Me Not), which I just recently realized.

Just go pass their creepy album cover, and you'll be met with good (great) songs! My personal favorites are: Fallout, By Now, and So Soon.

Personal favorites: Good to You, Masterpiece Theatre II, and Perfect.
Sorry for replying to an old post, but I just stumbled across this thread and was like hmm I wonder if anyone will mention Marianas Trench, fully expecting nobody to (since they aren't all that well-known, especially outside of Canada). I was pretty excited when I saw you had made a post about their music!

I won't go into too much detail about how incredible they are now, but if you happen to see this and ever want to chat more about them, I'm down. Josh is such an incredible song-writer and it's so hard to pick favourite songs. I love all the ones you mentioned above, and I'm also gonna throw Lover Dearest out there as one of my faves (love the fact the he wrote such a beautiful and emotional song about his past heroin addiction. In general, love how honest his writing is). Also, all the opener and closer tracks on the last 3 albums are incredible. Masterpiece Theatre III is a *ahem* masterpiece - the way they included all the songs from the album is so so good. Also End Of An Era, including lyrics and melodies from past albums, even all the way back to Fix Me, gets me good.

Okay gonna stop rambling on but if there's any mtrench fans lingering about, feel free to yell at me about your fav songs or whatever
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Reviving the thread a bit… Been keeping an eye on award seasons this year and I was thinking about my top 3 albums from THIS year of 2017. (ty for letting me indulge my music critic fantasies)

• Strike, by Moss
    - A good blend of indie-rock and fun alternative pop. Perfect for a house party, great bass lines to every song wow.
    - The band Moss is not all that popular (as a tiny dutch band), but really worth a listen.
    -Song Rec: My Decision
  • Fenn, by Tom Rosenthal
    - A bit more on the folksy-side (ok a lot more). Dynamic piano and vocals, warm fuzzies and cute stories.
    - Tom is also a youtuber! You can find him and his very artsy music videos here.
    -Song Rec: Throw the Fear
  • Relaxer, by Alt-J
    - The most "mainstream" artist on this list. Loved this album, purely alternative with great crushing beats and just the right amount of folk influences. Also a hilarious and catchy song about a sex club.
    - Alt-J has been around for a while (few popular songs in 2014) and somehow no one is talking about this great and odd 8-song album.
    -Song Rec: Deadcrush
Summoner
not a first-time poster

A track from the new Haiduk album Diabolica

Summoner
not a first-time poster

Haiduk - melodic black metal