Dan & Phil Part 2: lol bye gg

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

Haha
Is this where i make a bi af comment?
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

Sorry for the double post, but I've gotta say that I didn't love the DINOF video. I'll try to watch it again, but mostly it felt a bit cringe to me. Also the sketches didn't really flow.

I really liked the DINI video though! And this is coming from someone who hasn't watched any anime, unless you count Avatar (ATLA, which I loved. Maybe I should watch more anime?)
2old4thisshite
squish

karma_yeah wrote:
2old4thisshite wrote:I still believe he's straight :wahh: :wahh:
May I ask why? (not judging, I'm asking in all sincerity).

If you're uncomfortable sharing it on the forum you can pm me (and I will keep it confidential)
because I want to marry him
pixlexia
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

My first reaction to seeing this thumbnail was to just go "um" for about 2 minutes straight.
What a time to be alive.
manged wrote:
PolarFox wrote: Where were my animu boobs? I though Dan liked boobs.and vagina, fyi :wahh:
For real though, that's a good point. From the POV of someone who doesn't watch anime, massive anime titties defying the laws of gravity seems like such a staple of internet culture. Nearly any other comedy YTer would've joked about that, since it's an easy, culturally-relevant reference to make. Beyond the sexuality discussion, I think it says a lot about how he's trying to portray himself on his channel.It aligns with the recent changes in his channel, such as changing questionable thumbnails and unlisting Men V.Women video.
This is a really good point ^^^^
Thinking about it (and I know I'm probably totally wrong and thinking too much, but might as well put my rambles out there because hey this is a forum and that's literally what it's made for, ) maybe he was trying to avoid being problematic by going the anime-tits route. Everyone and their mom can see anime boobs and go write a 5 page essay about the sexualization of young women, etc etc. This, and the fact he's a self-proclaimed feminist, maybe he just didn't want to encourage that sort of objectification or err on the side of possibly being sexist.
"What about objectifying boys" you may counter, but idk, it's just different.
(Also, out of all the anime he recommended (except for like 2), I don't think there were a lot of boobs even in them, so maybe he doesn't have that much experience with them.

That, and of course, not being straight and all.
(insert a funny quote from the forum here)
shikaritrash
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Diyes_Celine wrote: TW: self harm
I loved both videos although I want to cut my wrist and squeeze lime over the wound everytime Dan said a Japanese word.
I'm really sorry and I'm aware I'm being a pain in the as* right now but if we could please avoid that kind of 'joke' that would be lovely. It made me ultra uncomfortable :oops: ...sorry.

I can't wait to see Dan's liveshow and hear him talk about the video.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ dan senses tingling 24/7 soz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

2old4thisshite wrote::rofl: because I want to marry him
????????????????? i can't tell if you're trolling but you should look up the definition of bisexual
cora808 wrote:
violet-writer wrote:i dnt think ppl say 'glass closet' for dans sexuality but his relationship w phil more. bc lbr, dan is anything but straight (srsly. he talks about guys often enough, that im pretty sure he's out lol)
This may sound really weird and possibly offensive (whoops?) but the vibe I've always gotten from the two of them, especially having met them, and my experience with friends who are gay and bisexual men and how they generally carry themselves, is that Phil is more bisexual and open-minded. Pansexual if anything. He just enjoys people, regardless of their sex. Dan is more gay than anything, and very possessive of Phil and doesn't have much of an interest in women. I could be 100% wrong, but eh, just vibes.
i don't mean to sound like a butthurt bisexual (lol, isnt that me 90% of the time tho) but honestly how the hell do you get 'vibes' that specific? i honestly feel that any vibe that goes too far from 'generally not straight' is based on stereotypes and wishful thinking

or maybe my gaydar is broken and the straights who make weirdly specific sexuality assumptions are just better at it than me, an actual queer person that struggles trying to figure out which girls i can potentially ask out. idk man

also excuse me but i have to say this, 'bisexual and open-minded. pansexual is anything', sexual orientation has nothing to do with open-mindedness? and pansexual isn't the more inclusive/cooler/edgier version of bisexual, that's biphobic

also, back on topic soz, i feel like the reason why dan is putting more effort in showing his attraction to men is because he knows we all got the message about women already, and he's trying to get the other one across, also he's a pretty social aware person imo, and i wouldn't be surprised if he felt more comfortable sexualizing male celebrities and characters over females, since women already get sexualized so much and there's an entire oppressive problematic system behind that, also it's not like the female mentions have gone away, they're just more subtle

i'm gonna use my usual example soz:
EDIT: i want to add that im not saying that he isn't gay, he might be, i'm saying that i don't think it is possible to tell the difference when he has made so many references to liking women before, how can you tell which ones are valid and which ones arent? that's the same logic ppl who claim he's straight use
Last edited by trashqueen on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

cora808 wrote:
violet-writer wrote:i dnt think ppl say 'glass closet' for dans sexuality but his relationship w phil more. bc lbr, dan is anything but straight (srsly. he talks about guys often enough, that im pretty sure he's out lol)
This may sound really weird and possibly offensive (whoops?) but the vibe I've always gotten from the two of them, especially having met them, and my experience with friends who are gay and bisexual men and how they generally carry themselves, is that Phil is more bisexual and open-minded. Pansexual if anything. He just enjoys people, regardless of their sex. Dan is more gay than anything, and very possessive of Phil and doesn't have much of an interest in women. I could be 100% wrong, but eh, just vibes.
Well thank fuck someone else has said this. I've been dancing around saying this for, I'm not even kidding, like weeks. Largely for the same reason (vibes man... don't underestimate vibes if you're a relatively socially aware person who doesn't have their head lodged in their ass) but also the slow decline of the number of female-related comments and the fairly rapid increase of male-related comments. I just didn't know how to word it without coming across offensive but you've done it for me (anyone else see that emoji as that gif of Leo cheers-ing? Just me? k.)

I'd really like to look long and deep into the eyes of anyone who thinks he's straight and just really have a calm conversation.... how? Why? He wrote on a bloody stage that his biggest crushes involved one female and one male and that was years ago. And that's just to argue the dude is bi let alone gay (which is what I'm increasingly thinking). Idk whether I think he's always known he was gay, has only accepted it relatively recently or has only started swinging more that way recently or what but basing myself off 2015/2016 Dan those are my current thoughts.

Re the videos (plural... what is happening) loved them just like the rest of us apparently. I was grinning throughout the DINOF one and laughed several times. Massively enjoyed the vibe of the DINI one. More of those please 8-) (did anyone notice Phil actually said 'more of those' in the Impossible Quiz? Anyone thinking voldy was scripted, check that natural phrasing yo).

Oh and while I'm being phan AF (when am I not) its cute how Phil seems to have filmed all those sketches. Back in like 2012 it seems Dan used a tripod (insert your own jokes about Phil's trouser snake and his own status as a tripod) but almost every shot was hand-held in this one. Notable mention to the one of Dan stroking Haru (anyone think that fringe-push to lip-stroke seemed a habitual gesture ) which was soooo shot by Phil straddling Dan's legs on the bed.

Its 2:30am and I have work tomorrow. Cool

EDIT just re your response trashqueen this is exactly what I meant when I said I'd been dancing around it. I'm also a bisexual female so I can see where you're coming from, but you kind of said it yourself in your answer - we have to try to work out who we can hit on lol. Reading people, in my opinion, is absolutely fine and simply your interpretation of someone. Assuming you're correct in that interpretation is a totally different and way less ok thing. I don't think myself or cora808 have implied we think we're correct, just a feeling. I also think some of the implicit offence caused by suggesting someone may be gay comes from a subconscious linking to when such a thought was followed by a negative reaction, almost accusational. I'd like to think nobody in IDB thinks like that so speculating he's gay is surely no different to speculating he's bi? Particularly when rationalised with frequency of his own comments on attraction like I said above.

(This is exactly the lengthy post I was avoiding and pussied out of in just agreeing with cora808 lolz clearly there's no getting out of it.)
Last edited by Lurktacularr on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

I liked the dinof vid, it was a good way to spon. I think they should stick with these kind of spons (you know abt things the love) because the vids turned out to be so good.

And excuse me... the haru thing, I know this has been mentioned a billion times but haru looks so much like Phil and I don't want to be trash and bring phan into it but omg. Anyways... I will def rewatch it, this has been the greatest dinof vid for me in a loooong while.

Now the dini one, I LOVED it... nvm if you like or not te animes/think they were mainstream whatever, the way he explained them was great and how he mentioned the pirating and even linked to it was amazing. What I don't like abt most dan's ls when he gives his opinions abt something is how easily distracted he gets or tries to reign himself so we don't get sometimes his complete thoughts and it can be difficult to follow (at least for me) so this was really good stuff.

I hope this will be the beginning of more vids with his opinions and recommendations! :)
fancybum
senpai

trashqueen:
Diyes_Celine wrote: and the Haru pillow!!! I still want to know why out of all the Free! characters he chose Haru? Do he cuddle with the Haru pillow or the guy who looks like Haru.
edit: trashqueen said everything I was thinking but didn't want to get into (I'm just too tired today and want to stay happy from the videoSs) but just a friendly reminder:

bisexuality does not = 50% male attraction + 50% female attraction.

k
Last edited by fancybum on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

daphenaxa wrote:it took me some time to come back to life after my death over that #Daru thumbnail and sketch.

Loved loved LOVED the DINI video, he was so into it, passionate and cute. Amazing. (plus the "Phil stamp of approval" had me awww, i had to take a moment between this and the cute boys in speedos)

Liked the DINOF video. Thank god for the come-back of sketches and like I said the Haru and the "abs and angst" literally killed me. Amazing! Dan in that Youtube varsity jacket also killed me Can't say i am super interested in anime or anime culture so I didn't adore the video like some of you, but it was nice.

Really though, it was him coming out on his main channel right?
DARU5EVA
It's him BEING out on his main channel. I don't see it as a dramatic coming out, nor do I see it as leading up to a dramatic coming out. It's just him being himself.

Dan being genuine and passionate and nerdy is the cutest thing ever. Dan gushing over boys and abs and angst is the cutest thing ever. I feel really happy right now. Good for you, Dan.

Made a new emoticon in celebration:

busy being happy~
angrymob
hobbit hair

Not much to say as I've only just skimmed to catch up on this thread. It's like everytime I finished one page, another appears. :shock:

I did realise with Dan's recent video how important the relatability apsect of his sketches is. I usually like his sketch videos, but I don't care much for anime and actually found myself bored halfway through, he didn't convince me to go watch any anime in anyway, and the sketches for me, seemed a bit disjointed and overdone.

I also maintain that they weren't as awkward in the mattg vlogs as I've seen them be with voggers nowadays and even with some vloggers they call their friends, like Joey Graceffa, though I think it's definitely possible it was just them trying to attempt to socialize if it was their first vidcon, and now they don't need to and they can ignore all the peasant vloggers.

I promise all these unpopular opinions I keep posting aren't on purpose. :tongue:
kooshka
living flop

2old4thisshite wrote:
karma_yeah wrote:

If you're uncomfortable sharing it on the forum you can pm me (and I will keep it confidential)
He doesn't have to be straight for that. :)

Haha yeah Dan's pronounciation was a bit... Off (my gf was listening while I watched the videos and just noted "thank god he decided to go with the english titles"), but give him a slack, Japanese can be hard for people who's native language pronounces things very differently from how they're written. :D
But the video was strangely homo erotic, almost OTT. Good for you Dan for being able to say stuff like that (can't really take it for granted), but it felt slightly fanservice-y for me. But eh, like someone mentioned talking about anime boobs and cute girls would also have been a) an easy way out and b) possibly problematic, so all's good.
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

2old4thisshite wrote:
karma_yeah wrote:

I'm afraid you'll have to fight it out with Dan's husband

excuse you
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
blueapple_x
flower crown

2old4thisshite wrote:
karma_yeah wrote:

Lol? I'll assume you're joking about that being your reason for thinking he's straight. And since more than one person has explained that bisexuality doesn't negate the possibility of marrying a woman, I'll shut up now.
trashqueen wrote: also, back on topic soz, i feel like the reason why dan is putting more effort in showing his attraction to men is because he knows we all got the message about women already, and he's trying to get the other one across, also he's a pretty social aware person imo, and i wouldn't be surprised if he felt more comfortable sexualizing male celebrities and characters over females, since women already get sexualized so much and there's an entire oppressive problematic system behind that, also it's not like the female mentions have gone away, they're just more subtle
I agree! I've always felt like one of the reasons he's more comfortable with expressing sexual attraction towards men is because males simply don't get sexualized/objectified to the same extent females do. He's a feminist, and the majority of his fans are female. He probably doesn't want anyone to feel uncomfortable/bad by sexualizing women. He tends to stick to using the word "beautiful" to describe women.
Last edited by blueapple_x on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
spider
ar·tic·u·late

Everyone has said it all so won't comment on the Dinof and Dini videos. Funny and watchable and more of those please. More spons if that's what it takes.
Lurktacularr wrote:
cora808 wrote:Dan is more gay than anything, and very possessive of Phil and doesn't have much of an interest in women. I could be 100% wrong, but eh, just vibes.
Well thank fuck someone else has said this. I've been dancing around saying this for, I'm not even kidding, like weeks. Largely for the same reason (vibes man... don't underestimate vibes if you're a relatively socially aware person who doesn't have their head lodged in their ass) but also the slow decline of the number of female-related comments and the fairly rapid increase of male-related comments.
There's always the possibility Dan is bi but prefers men. A 5 on the Kinsey scale would align with his more recent attraction mentions. Not that I'd be opposed to him joining those of us on the dark gay side but bi erasure and all that.
Lurktacularr wrote:Notable mention to the one of Dan stroking Haru (anyone think that fringe-push to lip-stroke seemed a habitual gesture )
My thoughts exactly.
felucca wrote:
PolarFox wrote:What was even the new video?! And so many homoerotic mentions? Where were my animu boobs? I though Dan liked boobs.and vagina, fyi :wahh:
Nah he's more of a bum person.

;)

15:36
hophigh
squish

2old4thisshite wrote:
karma_yeah wrote:

Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

trashqueen wrote:
cora808 wrote:
i don't mean to sound like a butthurt bisexual (lol, isnt that me 90% of the time tho) but honestly how the hell do you get 'vibes' that specific? i honestly feel that any vibe that goes too far from 'generally not straight' is based on stereotypes and wishful thinking

or maybe my gaydar is broken and the straights who make weirdly specific sexuality assumptions are just better at it than me, an actual queer person that struggles trying to figure out which girls i can potentially ask out. idk man

also excuse me but i have to say this, 'bisexual and open-minded. pansexual is anything', sexual orientation has nothing to do with open-mindedness? and pansexual isn't the more inclusive/cooler/edgier version of bisexual, that's biphobic
Girl, I'm bisexual too, and have been publicly out to friends and family for about 18 years. And I didn't say "pansexual is anything", I said pansexual "if" anything. With bisexuality, 90% of the time, people do have a gender they tend to lean towards most of the time. Open and willing to both, but often lean to one or the other. That's one of the things that makes it so difficult and frustrating about being bisexual. Both straight and gay people will tell you that "bisexuality isn't a thing" and especially if people most often see you dating guys, they won't believe you if you say you're also into dating women (or vice versa). That's the difference in my eyes between bisexuality and pansexuality. Pansexuality is "whatevs, it's all good. (which also includes transgender and gender fluid people).
As for the "vibes", I've just generally gotten good over the last almost 2 decades of smelling my own and knowing whether they're actually bi, or if they're just bi-curious, or drunk and looking for attention, etc. *shrug*
felucca
truth bomb

Two crying emojis and two rofl emojis isn't OTT enough to get the point across they're not 100% serious?
oqua wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:Really though, it was him coming out on his main channel right?
DARU5EVA
It's him BEING out on his main channel. I don't see it as a dramatic coming out, nor do I see it as leading up to a dramatic coming out. It's just him being himself.
It's amazing how well he's seeded it and how well the phandom's responded to it. When I started browsing Tumblr for D&P related things in 2014, people's reaction to Dan saying things like "Lewis Hamilton is pretty" or "I love nuts" resulted in endless "NO HOMO HOWELL LOLOLOL" jokes. Browsing Tumblr today, 1½ years later and after this video, all I see is people basically going "lol it's ok dan we know shh".
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

I woke up and saw 10 pages and I had a panic attack.

I just watched Dan's video and I'm watching Phil's liveshow while I'm typing.

For Dan's video, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised, although to be fair my expectations were especially low after his announcement (sorta) on live show. But this video is, firstly a good old sketch video, secondly without a story to drag it too long in the middle like the spoilers video, it's nicely structured, thirdly those mentions on Japanese fan culture are really nice as well, i think most anime fans will appreciate it. Good shiz.

I have no thoughts on the second channel video, it looks like he filmed it with potato, and i'm not into anime anymore (retired otaku) so yeah... But it's nice to have a main channel video and a side channel video at the same time.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

akui wrote:I woke up and saw 10 pages and I had a panic attack.

I just watched Dan's video and I'm watching Phil's liveshow while I'm typing.
Same, I woke up to ten new pages and panicked LOL.
I love it though, everyone. Keep the conversation coming. :D
I'm now doing dishes and watching Phil's liveshow.
busy being happy~
albion
drama llama

loststars wrote:I've been wondering since the beginning of this ~more generous~ era, what is Phil's take on Dan's more and more liberal comments.

Of course I guess he has no problem with it seeing as they surely discuss those things but it just goes to show the growing contrast between Dan's online evolvement and Phil's reluctance to discuss even slightly controversial topics. It's true though that he provides us with more interesting glimpses of different sides of himself nowadays, mainly on DAPG.
i disagree a bit, because Phil literally made the same comment about watching Free for the abs in his crunchyroll ad and also in the liveshow after that video was uploaded!
I guess, they mustve talked about it and decided to be a little bit more open about it, let people assume.

around 4:53 !
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

angrymob wrote:Not much to say as I've only just skimmed to catch up on this thread. It's like everytime I finished one page, another appears. :shock:

I did realise with Dan's recent video how important the relatability apsect of his sketches is. I usually like his sketch videos, but I don't care much for anime and actually found myself bored halfway through, he didn't convince me to go watch any anime in anyway, and the sketches for me, seemed a bit disjointed and overdone.

I also maintain that they weren't as awkward in the mattg vlogs as I've seen them be with voggers nowadays and even with some vloggers they call their friends, like Joey Graceffa, though I think it's definitely possible it was just them trying to attempt to socialize if it was their first vidcon, and now they don't need to and they can ignore all the peasant vloggers.

I promise all these unpopular opinions I keep posting aren't on purpose. :tongue:
This
I 100% feel this. I just couldn't enjoy the vid much b/c of that. Though I really did like the DINI vid, perhaps b/c it didn't rely on relatable humor? The sketches almost seemed like an in-joke for anime-viewers (i even cringed at the word senpai), while I think he made much more of an effort to be accommodating in the Recommendations vid- which is very interesting considering I think he almost wanted to have the opposite effect (the side channel vid be for more dedicated/ interested viewers).
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

cora808 wrote:
trashqueen wrote:
cora808 wrote:

Girl, I'm bisexual too, and have been publicly out to friends and family for about 18 years. And I didn't say "pansexual is anything", I said pansexual "if" anything. With bisexuality, 90% of the time, people do have a gender they tend to lean towards most of the time. Open and willing to both, but often lean to one or the other. That's one of the things that makes it so difficult and frustrating about being bisexual. Both straight and gay people will tell you that "bisexuality isn't a thing" and especially if people most often see you dating guys, they won't believe you if you say you're also into dating women (or vice versa). That's the difference in my eyes between bisexuality and pansexuality. Pansexuality is "whatevs, it's all good. (which also includes transgender and gender fluid people).
As for the "vibes", I've just generally gotten good over the last almost 2 decades of smelling my own and knowing whether they're actually bi, or if they're just bi-curious, or drunk and looking for attention, etc. *shrug*
i apologize for the straight assumption then, it's just that the comment is something that i've been told before by straight people, it's kind of a reflex reaction at this point, soz

i disagree tho, i consider myself bisexual and i'm equality attracted to men and women (cis and trans, it makes me uncomfortable when people assume trans men and women belong in some sort of different category?) and (i think? don't have much experience on this) nb people, just not in the same way (what i mean by that is that i don't look for the same things on different genders), i feel like the line between bisexuality and pansexuality is very blurry, imo, pansexuality is more of a 'not caring' about gender, as in gender not affecting the characteristics you feel attracted to in a person, and since gender does affect the way i'm attracted to people although not the 'intensity' or how often it happens, i consider myself bi, but honestly it's all up for discussion, i think every single bi and pan person out there has different interpretations

i could use your gaydar, honestly all i get is 'potentially not straight' that's as far as mine goes

edit: jfc you guys i got the 'check the new messages before posting' thing three times while trying to post this we all need to chill
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

I think that Dan is putting emphasis on his attraction to males because he refrained himself from doing so for quite a while and now he can't stop. I like it tho, he could have easily gone *waifu* and bought a pillow with the typical anime girl with gigantic boobs and nobody would have said anything because that's the stereotype of an anime fanboy, but him putting himself out there with something so silly but that he also loves it's nice.

I truly believe Dan is not straight, with Phil is hard to tell at times but Dan is a whole other thing. He is probs bi with slightly more preference towards men *phan goggles on* no wonder if he has had the best relationship with a male after failed ones with females. These vids put the nail in that coffin even more for me.

I just noticed this xD

trashqueen same, I accidentally closed the window after getting the message and had to retype fml, not a good throwback to old GG days xD
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

Sorry shikaritrash I was trying to direct translate a book quote. I'll take note of this.
Last edited by Diyes_Celine on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.