Dan & Phil part 32...and what a thicc thread it was

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote:
(Also where Phil makes the wanking motion and Dan reaches out to stop him.)
So glad I finally have a video to make a wanking!phil avatar, I have been waiting too long for this day. this was my favourite part of the video, dans face was priceless.

Loved the video, made me laugh a lot. I am ready for a month of gaming videos. Please let there be more mariokart.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Moony
sofa crease

merch: the plushies are okay, wouldn't buy them though. The knitted sweater is the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my entire life hahah but the jumper was kind of cool

Phil's livestream: very nice, cute and short. The part where he said that he was very stressed earlier ' for a good reason' or something like that had me wanting to give him a blanket and a hot chocolate (I just really like comforting people)

The video: Aww, that was great. Felt a bit more like their old gaming channel videos, too. (you know, just a bit more casual)
I loved it.

#plushiegate: you know guys, the plushies could have been holding hands anyway, if it's merch or not ;) and that he put them out of sight could have been for more than one reason

(jk, it's probably not true and he simply didn't want to spoil things. Ah, a girl can dream though!)

edit:
missemma wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:
So glad I finally have a video to make a wanking!phil avatar, I have been waiting too long for this day. this was my favourite part of the video, dans face was priceless.

Huh, when was that? I didn't even realize it, oops

OH and I find it funny that Dan was biting the controller. There is this video where he finds out about Phil biting the controller and is pretty suprised, now he does the same Really adds to the "Dan is absorbing Phil's soul" theory, hahah :lol:
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

I loved this new video!! It was so relaxed and just fun to watch to me. I hope this is truly the rebranding we are hoping for and more. Also side note, around 7:30 I swear I could hear what sounds like a door squeak open or something in the distance while dan is in the middle of talking?? I thought I was imagining it at first but I played it back a good 10 times and I can still hear it. I don't know what that was, but it's clear Dan and Phil didn't pick up on it at all. It's really strange. Did anyone else notice this??
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
hannah
butt chair

confusedpanda wrote:I loved this new video!! It was so relaxed and just fun to watch to me. I hope this is truly the rebranding we are hoping for and more. Also side note, around 7:30 I swear I could hear what sounds like a door squeak open or something in the distance while dan is in the middle of talking?? I thought I was imagining it at first but I played it back a good 10 times and I can still hear it. I don't know what that was, but it's clear Dan and Phil didn't pick up on it at all. It's really strange. Did anyone else notice this??
I noticed it too. Don't worry, its just their friendly poltergeist getting up to go admire the decorations.
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

alittledizzy wrote:
Idk but I love it too. I've rewatched that part a few times.

Yess! :D

(And also when Phil dabs and Dan does that face I have seen before in the Sonic 4 video)
((And also when Phil says Labior ))

This video has fucked me right up.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Moony wrote:
missemma wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

Huh, when was that? I didn't even realize it, oops
I don't have the timestamp right offhand, but here's a gifset.

Amiaw
interactive introvert

I loved this video so much!

Favorite parts -
Phil dabbing
Dan saying Thicc
Mocking bro's
The albatross
Phil's mum
Basically every time Phil was on screen....

And I noticed the door too but as they didn't get panicky faces or react at all I'm assuming it was nothing

Edited to add: I swear there was also a moment where Phil wanted to go in for a hug...we were so close!
Last edited by Amiaw on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
anathema
morning quiff

I don't believe Dan and Phil would go so far as to create plushies just because they had some random ones and they accidentally showed them holding hands. I bet they were prototypes, and one of them made them hold hands because it was cute. And it would make sense, too. They already couldn't show them (because merch spoilers), so why not make them hold hands? I'm onto you, boys. :wink:

Gaming video was super cute, favorite bits were them making fun of broing, the phone call, Phil dabbing and Dan's "jump out the window", and Phil's "thank you Lord!!" :lol:

About the door thing, could it have been something outside and the sound just traveled through?
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

That was such a fun video honestly. It was one of their gaming videos that got me interested them in the first place, and that was totally a reminder of how I fell down this rabbit hole. I'm terrible at trivia games and would be sooo bored playing that game irl but they somehow make it funny and exciting to watch ??

And the "bros" part just kills me. I'm good friends with some pretty "bro"-y guys, and the contrast between them and D&P... :lol: Very convincing.
manged
lady door

Thank you Deppy deities for this video. Please let it be a sign of things to come in the upcoming Gamingmas videos and future Dan and Phil collabs! Sweet lord, it was everything I've been missing from the 2014 gaming videos. They were definitely coming off as what we believe to be their "real" selves/ less persona-y. There were also less jumpcuts, which amounted to more non-performed moments, and I'd say that also contributed to the relaxed vibes. Plus they're back to sitting on the couch, which is simply a more flattering angle for them so I can appreciate their faces better.

*sigh* I can't wait for this video to be analyzed to death. When they called Phil's mother. The way they poked fun at the broness in 4th-wall-breaking sort of way. All of it. Don't let me down, idb.
Winston
flower crown

Cute video. My hubby just got this game from his dad's House on Thanksgiving (they were getting rid of a bunch of old games and this is the one he picked). I was not excited to play, but now i guess i have to. Haha.

I am excited about gaymas...oops gamemas. ;)

Doesn't the futon squeak? That could have been the door noise.

also I paused it at 4:12 to get up for a minute. cute I would suggest it.
actions speak louder than words
psychicmoth
living flop

This video was incredible cute! The phone call was a highlight, but I absolutely love when they are synchronized! 14:34 - That was extremely adorable
Amiaw wrote: Edited to add: I swear there was also a moment where Phil wanted to go in for a hug...we were so close!
Also thiiiis! 13:07 - Phil is so ready for the rebranding! Come on Dan, hug your "bro"
(used to be Maya)
:sparkle: :crystalball: :sparkle:
Artdefines06
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: She/They/Nothing

Maya wrote:
Amiaw wrote: Edited to add: I swear there was also a moment where Phil wanted to go in for a hug...we were so close!
Also thiiiis! 13:07 - Phil is so ready for the rebranding! Come on Dan, hug your "bro"
I have noticed lots of these from both of them, and it makes me sad that they have learned to stop themselves so well :( I guess hugs are just something they don't want to share with us - but it kinda makes me happy because that means hugs are special to them.
:platonic:

Loved the video!
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

For some reason I found the 'howell-lester' username adorable. Maybe because that is casually their family last name in a lot of phanfics. I wonder if they will ever use the username 'phan' :lol:
majitzu
angel bean

Phil has fall in the "thicc" void, very appropiate with the thread name

Philena
blobfish

manged wrote:Image
Thank you Deppy deities for this video. Please let it be a sign of things to come in the upcoming Gamingmas videos and future Dan and Phil collabs! Sweet lord, it was everything I've been missing from the 2014 gaming videos. They were definitely coming off as what we believe to be their "real" selves/ less persona-y. There were also less jumpcuts, which amounted to more non-performed moments, and I'd say that also contributed to the relaxed vibes. Plus they're back to sitting on the couch, which is simply a more flattering angle for them so I can appreciate their faces better.

*sigh* I can't wait for this video to be analyzed to death. When they called Phil's mother. The way they poked fun at the broness in 4th-wall-breaking sort of way. All of it. Don't let me down, idb.
Agreed! I was actually watching Dan the whole time because he seemed so genuine. He was soft-spoken, earnest, and sweet!

They are on fire lately. I loved everything about this video. Kath, bros, synchronicity, A* geography, thicc check. But, Phil? Come on. Odysseus?!?!

eta: I almost forgot howell-lester! Yas!!!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I have said this every single time these two drop a new surprise on us.... But lord help me, this video was my favorite thing.

I'm overwhelmed, because it was all just so comfortable. There were a lot of moments where Dan just had a casual voice. Examples include 5:50 & 8:46.

I'm living for the jump-cut after "labiour" and Phil calling his mom "Kath" like it happens on the reg (also Dan asking her how she is like close fam and just gross). And wow, where do I even start about the bro situation? It was like they were making fun of all of us in the best way. A not-so-subtle "we are never going to behave like this." And I'm just so right now.
dollicious
spork

i loved this video so much, it is a great start to gaming-mas which is a terrible name tbh. this felt relaxed and like real, genuine d&p to me. the lack of many jump cuts and overall atmosphere was so nice, even amongst the stressfulness of the game it felt calm. when phil mentioned he used to play this game with his family at christmas and is now playing it with dan (i’m being trashy ik) but this felt so cute. i can totally imagine the lester’s (and dan) playing games like this around the holidays and .
a couple timestamps because i love this video a lot:
0.25 - the "over the top" decorations are amazing the background looks nice and makes me feel festive even though it’s only the 1st rip.
1.04 - “something really cute that we were inspired to make.” saying inspired - inspired by what dan #plushgate jk.
1.20 - his “little shoess” comment sounded like talking to/about a baby (sorry this video made me in a really trashy mood apparently .)
1.38 - “thinking about what me and my family did in the festive season..” idek why this makes me emotional but it does. something about phil playing it with his family and then playing together is just really sweet to me.
3.28 - howell-lester .
3.40 - phil dabs :facepalm: and then makes himself laugh. smh phil, don't start this.
4.51 - wanking phil moment .
11.05 - dan taking the controller and clicking ‘opera.’ this is my favorite bit of the video dan’s such a little shit :lol: and then phil’s “you idiot” after was so funny & cute.
13.31 - stuck out to me (for some reason) as how they act around each other off camera. dan correcting how to say odysseus and the “you don’t know that” then “really, how do you know that?”
14.08 - bros doing what bros do .
14.37 - i love how they both say ‘marine’ or ‘mountain’ together. this gets me every time even though there are a lot of synchronized moments.
16.33 - calling phil’s mom - incredible part of this video, honestly. everything about it is so great. love how dan leans in and phil’s mom answers with “child” :lol:. i also found it nice that dan is like "hi by the way, how are you?" she responds with "fine. fine?" to which dan answers "yeah, we're good."
tldr version :
do you like d&p?
fancybum
senpai

Honestly. Bless tatinof. As sick of it as I am (will it really be over in a week? be still my heart), it's given us this. Spending the better part of a year or so touring a show to thousands of their fans have just loosened them right the fuck up. Act out fanfiction in front of actual people, engage with shippy art in front of actual people, rely on each other and play off of each other night after night in front of people and... the world didn't end. Their fans kept thinking what they wanted to think about them (whatever that may be) and still supported them no matter what they did. Like, that's pretty cool.

I feel like it really helped them both with issues they may have had with worrying about how people perceive them (which isn't even something I would have recognized so much in Phil without it having been in the actual flipping script-- that he doesn't always have to be AmazingPhil and people will like him just the same). They just seem so much freer now, from themselves, from censoring and overthinking. It makes them so much more real and fun to watch and what a wild ride this month is going to be if they can keep up the momentum this vid has promised.
Maya wrote:
Ok so here's where I take it too far, but as a disclaimer, I am talking about the SYMBOLISM of this moment:

13:07-09 - I don't know if Phil was actually looking for a hug there, but Dan (imo) reacts as though it's a possibility and he denies it, like there's a physical hesitation in him before he turns his head back to the game and says 'Well done', then Phil goes for a lower level of physical contact with the (almost conciliatory?) jokey fist-bump, like 'lol whoops too far, let's walk it back soz' and Dan's response (contextually, just about premature celebrating, I know leave me alone):
Okay, right. We're still not there yet. We're still not there yet.
The symbolism in those words. I just

and just another disclaimer: I don't know if they ever want to get there, but where they are now is closer than they've ever been and if right around here is where the line is, then that's cool no pressure. If they just kept being this, I'll be happy. For me and for them.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Rigby
lady door

Loved the video! So much tension! And then Phil's mum answering the phone with a "child?"
fakelights
living flop

dollicious wrote:16.33 - calling phil’s mom - incredible part of this video, honestly. everything about it is so great. love how dan leans in and phil’s mom answers with “child” :lol:. i also found it nice that dan is like "hi by the way, how are you?" she responds with "fine. fine?" to which dan answers "yeah, we're good."
tldr version :
They might be fine but after this video I'm not.

What a delightful way to start the month! If you would try telling me one second before I clicked play on it that a "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" video would be my new favourite thing I would've laughed (a lot), but here I am...

I don't even know how to explain the amount of joy these two idiots gave me watching this and how natural I thought it was. Pure bliss. That's my review
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Uhf, that was adorable. So much excitement for knowing about animals and being from Manchester, and winning or losing regardless of getting an A in Geography A-Level. Them being too young to know the Waltons was cute, I didn't remember the surname, but I remember them on tv when I was a kid and Phil wasn't born that much later. Dan going for it with the cheeky controller takeover is good for nail-biting entertainment, though I can imagine if he did that in a real game and got it wrong Phil might be pushing him off the sofa. Dan's face when he got the first one right, though. Sneaky and smug ;) Phil dabbing again, they both just have times when they don't quite know when to stop, don't they :roll: The bro bit was so casual, Dan was so relaxed even with the head-nudge, reminded me of my cat too.
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

fancybum wrote:
Honestly. Bless tatinof. As sick of it as I am (will it really be over in a week? be still my heart), it's given us this. Spending the better part of a year or so touring a show to thousands of their fans have just loosened them right the fuck up. Act out fanfiction in front of actual people, engage with shippy art in front of actual people, rely on each other and play off of each other night after night in front of people and... the world didn't end. Their fans kept thinking what they wanted to think about them (whatever that may be) and still supported them no matter what they did. Like, that's pretty cool.

I feel like it really helped them both with issues they may have had with worrying about how people perceive them (which isn't even something I would have recognized so much in Phil without it having been in the actual flipping script-- that he doesn't always have to be AmazingPhil and people will like him just the same). They just seem so much freer now, from themselves, from censoring and overthinking. It makes them so much more real and fun to watch and what a wild ride this month is going to be if they can keep up the momentum this vid has promised.
Maya wrote:
Ok so here's where I take it too far, but as a disclaimer, I am talking about the SYMBOLISM of this moment:

13:07-09 - I don't know if Phil was actually looking for a hug there, but Dan (imo) reacts as though it's a possibility and he denies it, like there's a physical hesitation in him before he turns his head back to the game and says 'Well done', then Phil goes for a lower level of physical contact with the (almost conciliatory?) jokey fist-bump, like 'lol whoops too far, let's walk it back soz' and Dan's response (contextually, just about premature celebrating, I know leave me alone):
Okay, right. We're still not there yet. We're still not there yet.
The symbolism in those words. I just

and just another disclaimer: I don't know if they ever want to get there, but where they are now is closer than they've ever been and if right around here is where the line is, then that's cool no pressure. If they just kept being this, I'll be happy. For me and for them.
yes!!!!!! to everything you said, i'm the number one tatinof hater but if going through that hell is what made it possible to be where we are now then it was worth it (except bugate..... no i'm never letting that go)

and yup, nice symbolism there, absolutely not intentional imo, but that doesn't make it any less great

deppy plushies: look, i really want to believe that the old ones that phil hid weren't just prototypes but they probably were, still, the 'they made the plushies to hide the mistake!!!1' conspiracy theory is great, someone go alert shane dawson

gaymas: how many videos do you think we'll actually get? i'm gonna be optimistic and say 15

gaming video: i LOVED it, i think i need an intervention, i watched it three times in a row, it absolutely felt like the old 2014 gaming videos but better, surprisingly relaxed late 2016 deppy + enthusiastically playing retro games in the couch like 2014 = heaven, bonus track: cute ~domestic~ phone call with kath

on that note, i'm gonna be THAT person and just leave this oqua tweet here....
i have some thoughts but tbh i wanna see what oqua and spider have to say about it, they're the experts lol

Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

hmm everyday a gaming video highly unlikely there going to complete it, but lets cross our fingers and hope they make it through Christmas, the how to be a millionaire video was nice, they where more natural felt like the sonic 4 (little bit) game they did a while back. the whole bro thing was cute (bro's and there bro-jobs). i do hope there gamemas videos would be more diverse.
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Laney
drama llama

fancybum wrote:

Yess, I loved this post! I was trying to figure out what exactly had happened to cause this beautiful new confidence in both of them, and your theory seems like a very possible reason. There is just something about seeing two wonderful people grow and become happier, and more comfortable with showing the world who they are. I am just so happy, and I feel like we are all so lucky that we get to experience this.