Dan & Phil Part 35: knock knock, who’s there, i hate you

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Jenny
squish
Pronouns: she/her/hers

oqua wrote:
Lain wrote:
mez29 wrote:
oqua wrote:
mez29 wrote:
oqua wrote:I've been looking at this screenshot of The Rules, and I feel like this is what I see:
I've been thinking recently that the first line may say "for Daniel", without any brackets around it.
Do you think "Daniel" is uncapitalized?
Nah, I think it's just a thin D (said the actress to the bishop). I'd write over it like you did but I don't have any fancy software.
I was just trying to focus on that bit under The Rules, and I thought it might be a date? *squints*
Like [25 Jan] or something? I could see that, actually!
Ive been playing around in Photoshop, and it looks like [23 J....] to me, maybe 23 June, or 23 Jan (dear lord its hard to read)

oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Pronouns: she/her

Jenny wrote:Ive been playing around in Photoshop, and it looks like [23 J....] to me, maybe 23 June, or 23 Jan (dear lord its hard to read)

Ooh very interesting! Does this inverted color filter outline thing (lol, I don't know how to describe it) make any other parts of the list clearer?
busy being happy~
melon lord
morning quiff

oqua wrote: Ooh very interesting! Does this inverted color filter outline thing (lol, I don't know how to describe it) make any other parts of the list clearer?
If you have photoshop, go to Filter > Filter Gallery > Stylize > Glowing Edges to recreate the effect

this is the photo you just posted with the same filter and some sharpening done by me (soz for the blue highlight there)

pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

dang i missed 2 days of discussion bc of family time and i miss everything!! i wish you guys luck with figuring out the rules though :3 also.. i go on IDB and tumblr ;w; and i'm 19. i think it's bc i've been using tumblr since i was like, in 7th grade (and i graduated high school months ago so)
:transheart:
Jenny
squish

melon lord wrote:
oqua wrote: Ooh very interesting! Does this inverted color filter outline thing (lol, I don't know how to describe it) make any other parts of the list clearer?
If you have photoshop, go to Filter > Filter Gallery > Stylize > Glowing Edges to recreate the effect

this is the photo you just posted with the same filter and some sharpening done by me (soz for the blue highlight there)

Yeah thats how I did it! Here's the other version, I can't really read any of it but feel free to take a swing at it :D
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

I used the "glowing edges" filter on the little bit of The Rules visible in the "How I Lost My Job" video.

It wasn't very revelatory, but I am now pretty sure that the word in Rule 5 that comes right before the "close" word is "a," not "to" —
I'm not entirely convinced that the next word is "close" though. Idk.

I'm so curious as to what comes after "to do" in Rule 6.
busy being happy~
Lain
eclipse shirt

I tried using glowing edges, but failed hard compared to you guys.

That word in Rule 5 does look like close to me. Or closed, or closet? And I had tried to focus on that word in Rule 6 (after what could be "to do") earlier and it looked liked "left" or "loft" (less likely) to me, but I could just be trying too hard to make sense of things. :help:
DeadlyNova
living flop

Maybe I'm just super duper blind, but the glowing edges make it 10x harder to read for me. LOL
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

DeadlyNova wrote:Maybe I'm just super duper blind, but the glowing edges make it 10x harder to read for me. LOL
no it's ok, it's the same way for me tbh
:transheart:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Okay not to change the subject but I recently stumbled upon SO many rude comments about Dan's looks. Like literally before (2012) and after (nowish?) pics with people saying that it's sad because he was hotter before.... like.. how do these people think saying stuff like that about another human being is okay?? Yikes.
apathy
sad dimple

oqua wrote:I'm so curious as to what comes after "to do" in Rule 6.
Is it not "to do list"? It looks like a dot is floating there to go over the i.

Didn't they have the whiteboard with the list of stuff on it for each of their names?
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

apathy wrote:

Didn't they have the whiteboard with the list of stuff on it for each of their names?
It does look like it says "list" or "lists," but I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because dan doesn't write his t's like that. Like, normally t's are the same height as l's and h's and all the other "tall" letters, but Dan makes his t's really short, like plus signs or something. It could say "left" perhaps, although his f's tend to stick down, like j's.

But yeah, they do have a whiteboard where they write stuff to do:

Image Image

(Btw now I want to deceipher those whiteboards too, lmao. Does the one in the left have three headings, "Short," "Long," and "Radio"? Under "Long" I can make out "QM," I think? What does that mean, I wonder.)
busy being happy~
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

secretagentphan wrote:Okay not to change the subject but I recently stumbled upon SO many rude comments about Dan's looks. Like literally before (2012) and after (nowish?) pics with people saying that it's sad because he was hotter before.... like.. how do these people think saying stuff like that about another human being is okay?? Yikes.
Hm, I wonder if these are the same people freaking out about Phil turning 30.

I think Dan is someone who has been gorgeous every moment of his life (well, except when he pulls some of his faces :sideeye:). He was particularly breathtaking in 2012, but that's only relatively speaking .

We met him when he was a hot teenager, and now he is a hot man. Of course he is going to look different--but less hot??

If the people making these comments are 13, maybe it's just as well they are not drooling over someone more than 10 years their senior, though. :shock:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

oqua wrote:
apathy wrote:

It does look like it says "list" or "lists," but I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because dan doesn't write his t's like that. Like, normally t's are the same height as l's and h's and all the other "tall" letters, but Dan makes his t's really short, like plus signs or something. It could say "left" perhaps, although his f's tend to stick down, like j's.

Image Image

(Btw now I want to deceipher those whiteboards too, lmao. Does the one in the left have three headings, "Short," "Long," and "Radio"? Under "Long" I can make out "QM," I think? What does that mean, I wonder.)
A number in millions (of subscribers)? A long-term goal to have X number of subscribers makes sense. Unfortunately, "0" is closest to "Q", and that wouldn't make sense! But maybe a "2" or a "6".
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

LeftHandedism wrote:
oqua wrote:
A number in millions (of subscribers)? A long-term goal to have X number of subscribers makes sense. Unfortunately, "0" is closest to "Q", and that wouldn't make sense! But maybe a "2" or a "6".
it kind of looks like 'GYM' to me? maybe like a long-term goal of going to the gym? otherwise it could be 'GPM', no idea what that could mean, i googled it and it came up with 'General Purpose Mouse'? as in wanting to get one maybe? seems strange to put that under long term goals though haha. or i also see it as '6PM', as in the time, but that seems kind of out of context and random idk
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Random: Apparently in 2012 Dan and Phil the "Fred & Friends Daily Mood Desk Flipchart."

Here are some pictures of the item:

And here are some shots of it in Deppy videos:

Full screenshots (from "The Airport Incident" and "How I Got Fired," respectively):
busy being happy~
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Also here's a transcription of the whiteboard as it appears in the "HOT BOYS on Teen Cribz" video:
  • Dan                           Phil
    Sarah           
    eat babies Radio 1
    2nd chnl   Vyou         radio horror
    cribz
    danmail                    energy
    pay for keys              organise room
    revise/pay                finances
    internet banking       channel flip
    norg  uni prep
Does anyone know what "norg" means? Is that even what it says?

Image:
(Side note, those Lego guys chilling on the top of the whiteboard crack me up. :lol: I assume they're supposed to represent ?)
busy being happy~
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

oqua wrote:

Does anyone know what "norg" means? Is that even what it says?
i googled 'norg' and it's something from final fantasy - a boss, i think. it's also a village in the netherlands apparently
dontpanic
#relatable

re: the rules watching this progress is like seeing history be made
I wish i was as talented at y'all, don't give up you can do it!!
LeftHandedism wrote:
secretagentphan wrote:Okay not to change the subject but I recently stumbled upon SO many rude comments about Dan's looks. Like literally before (2012) and after (nowish?) pics with people saying that it's sad because he was hotter before.... like.. how do these people think saying stuff like that about another human being is okay?? Yikes.
Hm, I wonder if these are the same people freaking out about Phil turning 30.

I think Dan is someone who has been gorgeous every moment of his life (well, except when he pulls some of his faces :sideeye:). He was particularly breathtaking in 2012, but that's only relatively speaking .

We met him when he was a hot teenager, and now he is a hot man. Of course he is going to look different--but less hot??

If the people making these comments are 13, maybe it's just as well they are not drooling over someone more than 10 years their senior, though. :shock:
+1
Also it might have something to do with dan losing his whole "early 2000s scene kid aesthetic," some of the fans who spam younows with mcr and fob questions (he does get asked about his earnings a lot) might not like the change
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

oqua wrote:
apathy wrote:

Image Image

My first instinct was "6PM".
MoonPride
moon room

Who the hell is Sarah?
Jenny
squish

MoonPride wrote:Who the hell is Sarah?
Maybe Sarah Michelle Gellar? :lol:
MoonPride
moon room

Jenny wrote:
:lol:

It's probably the secret long term girlfriend Dan has been hiding away the past 7 years :P
MoonPride
moon room

Jenny wrote:

It's probably the secret long term girlfriend Dan has been hiding away the past 7 years :P
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

MoonPride wrote:
Jenny wrote:

nah but for real though, i doubt that. it seems pretty impersonal/out of place to just randomly write your girlfriend's name on a list like that, i feel like it's more likely it was just someone he either owed something (money? tutoring? etc), someone who worked at youtube or the bbc, or something like that. although tbh it feels pretty futile/invasive even trying to work it out, we will literally never know.