Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Aurdie
spork
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote:Yeah I'd advise against linking to anyone specifically or leaving people's full names... the intentions are good but I'm a little bit afraid the phandom might descend en masse on some more unsuspecting guy, and I'm not sure that situation would really end up benefiting anyone.
Yeah, I asked admin to redact since I wasn't able to edit.
"If you have an exit strategy it's not an obsession." - Mark Cuban
pixlexia
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

awkwardly wrote:[offtopic]this is the kind of material that I expect to get from the tour bus ls (high expectations high expectations for a lot of teasing exchanges )
[/offtopic]
[offtopic]completely pointless post, but oh dear do I have a random thing for whenever Phil's voice goes highpitched when he gets either defensive or excited. Whenever it happens in a video, I end up replaying the bit like 12 times. [/offtopic]
(insert a funny quote from the forum here)
majitzu
angel bean

catandbear-savetheworld wrote: Image
On This Day in the Phandom: 1 year ago!

On 7th April 2015, Phil announces that him and Dan are going on holiday to Japan!

This event gave birth to two of the best Phandom memes from 2015 - #Japhan and of course:
source

jesp
why bother

Mod Note
Aurdie wrote:Yeah, I asked admin to redact since I wasn't able to edit.
I've removed the full names in your post.

Also, reporting the post you want edited in the future will get it done faster, as all mods see the report.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Stakhanov wrote:A quick google search of 'Phil lester haircuts' gives me .. very similar haircuts ;) Obv he should do as he damn well pleases but if i had a vote it'd go to a ginger hairdo, maybe with a cool quiff

So this video of jimmy0010 grabbed my attention:

oh now i get it. Why do you have to remove the s in https to get a thumbnail? Weird :?
Regardless of your opinion of him, do you think this accurately portrays how spons work? I mean he's talking about transcripts that get viewed and edited by the sponsor. I was surprised by the amount of control that gets exerted on the creative process. I naively presumed that companies would just ask youtubers to make a vid 'around' their brand, maybe with the inclusion of one or two taglines. "Why don't you review your favorite anime or eat a lot of our delicious cookies", something like that.
It's hard to imagine crunchyroll telling Dan to get naked with the haru pillow for example

But by getting involved into D&P on this level my eyes have definitely been opened to how influential the business side of things are on their content and how they represent themselves. The more you think you know them, the more you realize you don't know them ;)
It makes sense, we're talking about peoples livelihoods after all.
As part of my job I've been involved in some of these sorts of sponsorships...

I can't speak specifically to D&P (though I imagine it comes close), but Jimmy's right. Videos and scripts for branded content are edited to death by the brand and if they don't want something in their video, it's getting removed or they're not paying up. In fact, in some cases, a YouTuber will have to re-record their video a few times to fulfill the wishes of the brand. Dodie's video (posted by felucca) is also accurate - people who have no idea how youtube works are in charge of these sorts of things which can result in some REAL shitty content.

Some are obviously a bit more relaxed (crunchyroll, clearly). But when I first watched D&P's World Chef vid I could hear Phil basically checking off a list of things he had to cover. That said, obviously D&P are only ever gonna take deals they can tailor to their channels, so I can't see them ever getting such a strict script. As a side note, with their follower count, they're making baaaaaaaaaaank. And sometimes app sponsors pay a percentage on attributed downloads... like damn.
felucca
truth bomb

Remember that Youtube culture song we talked about a while back?
Someone went and made a Dan and Phil edit of it:

dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
majitzu
angel bean

^^ hahhaha seriously the content is create so fastly.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

felucca wrote:Remember that Youtube culture song we talked about a while back?

A work of art, to the editor.
majitzu
angel bean

Thanks felucca I feel so
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

I found an interesting self-aware comment thread under the youtube culture song.
Someone w/ a D+P profile pic says 'and here we have a song about alfie deyes' , and then everyone is discussing who the song describes. A fair # of people w/ D+P profiles commented that it also describes D+P 8-)
I feel proud
daphenaxa
blobfish

bah its describing everybody living off youtube or anyone famous in entertainment really. It's good to be self aware but it's also a bit tiring when people bash youtubers for having merch and doing spons or having a tour especially in the case of Tatinof. I am all for criticising the content and the quality of all those things for each youtubers but criticising them for the mere fact of doing it is just stupid imo.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

daphenaxa wrote:bah its describing everybody living off youtube or anyone famous in entertainment really. It's good to be self aware but it's also a bit tiring when people bash youtubers for having merch and doing spons or having a tour especially in the case of Tatinof. I am all for criticising the content and the quality of all those things for each youtubers but criticising them for the mere fact of doing it is just stupid imo.
Imo, one of the cringiest things about the phandom is how they criticize/ bash Alfie. He's not the devil. He's just a part of a system. You can have distaste for him w/o essentially bullying him. Idk, it just sits w/ me the wrong way. Especially b/c D+P are not a world away from Alfie and the rest of Gleam.
daphenaxa
blobfish

spaceguitar wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:bah its describing everybody living off youtube or anyone famous in entertainment really. It's good to be self aware but it's also a bit tiring when people bash youtubers for having merch and doing spons or having a tour especially in the case of Tatinof. I am all for criticising the content and the quality of all those things for each youtubers but criticising them for the mere fact of doing it is just stupid imo.
Imo, one of the cringiest things about the phandom is how they criticize/ bash Alfie. He's not the devil. He's just a part of a system. You can have distaste for him w/o essentially bullying him. Idk, it just sits w/ me the wrong way. Especially b/c D+P are not a world away from Alfie and the rest of Gleam.
the thing with Alfie is that bashing him is kind of a running joke. Viewers and even his peers make fun of him not necessarily for his content (which is honestly terrible) but because it is the cool thing to do. I reminds me a bit of how everyone was bashing Justin Bieber. I personally dislike Alfie because from what I have seen both his content and his personality are off-putting but yeah most of the bashing he gets is not fair criticism about that, he is kind of used as a scapegoat for everything bad with youtube.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Hey everyone. So this is kind of an off-topic conversation-starter type question, but I'm curious:

What would be your/our reaction if Phil were to say, in a liveshow, "I'd do ballet," and then say he wishes he had time for more hobbies? Imagine him saying it in the same tone of voice as Dan said it in his most recent liveshow, in response to the same kind of question that Dan was responding to. Would it be more or less exciting/noteworthy/interesting to you? What do you think this says about how you / the phandom views Dan and Phil and/or what you expect of them?

busy being happy~
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

felucca wrote:Remember that Youtube culture song we talked about a while back?

[offtopic]this reminded me of Chicago, which the lyric even more accurately describes Dan's relationship with his audiences.

And the audience loves me. And I love them. And they love me for loving them, And I love them for loving me. And we love each other. That's because none of us got enough love in our childhoods. [/offtopic]
bluebox-away
woodland creature

This is not related to anything we're currently discussing, but I managed to find the episode of The Weakest Link that Phil was on! I took me a good while to find it so I doubt many people have seen it..
The archive site I've got it on is a bit weird but I'm trying to see if I can download it somehow, anyone used bobnational much before?
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

oqua wrote:Hey everyone. So this is kind of an off-topic conversation-starter type question, but I'm curious:

What would be your/our reaction if Phil were to say, in a liveshow, "I'd do ballet," and then say he wishes he had time for more hobbies? Imagine him saying it in the same tone of voice as Dan said it in his most recent liveshow, in response to the same kind of question that Dan was responding to. Would it be more or less exciting/noteworthy/interesting to you? What do you think this says about how you / the phandom views Dan and Phil and/or what you expect of them?
i think it would have been more interesting simply because as we always say phil doesn't share much, with dan there's a lot of stuff to talk about so a comment like that might just get mentioned and then we'll move on to the next piece of information (which we did), we take dan sharing his feelings/thoughts for granted
bluebox-away wrote:This is not related to anything we're currently discussing, but I managed to find the episode of The Weakest Link that Phil was on! I took me a good while to find it so I doubt many people have seen it..
The archive site I've got it on is a bit weird but I'm trying to see if I can download it somehow, anyone used bobnational much before?
oh. my. god.
i love you
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

bluebox-away wrote:This is not related to anything we're currently discussing, but I managed to find the episode of The Weakest Link that Phil was on! I took me a good while to find it so I doubt many people have seen it..
Can you link to the archive site? This is amazing.
busy being happy~
timtam
lady door

oqua wrote:Hey everyone. So this is kind of an off-topic conversation-starter type question, but I'm curious:

I'd be surprised if Phil said that because as far as I can tell Phil very rarely talks about his interests and I barely know anything about Phil's interests/hobbies etc. Otherwise I'd just pass the 'i'd do ballet' off as some quirky Phil thing/saying and just disregard it. Not sure what that says about how I view Dan and Phil. Phil just isn't as open and talkative as Dan (particularly in liveshows) and maybe that's why I feel that way. It's definitely why I feel more connected and interested in Dan. I feel like I at least have an understanding of Dan's likes and dislikes whereas Phil
bluebox-away
woodland creature

trashqueen wrote:
oh. my. god.
i love you
Okay so it's definitely the right episode and it's pretty decent quality, I'm attempting to record my screen while I watch it and Phil is giving Anne Robinson sass and it's brilliant
I'll attempt to upload the video somewhere tomorrow so you can all enjoy this too
bluebox-away
woodland creature

oqua wrote:
Soz double posting but it's recording on my laptop so I'm stuck with mobile blogging :roll:
You can only access the site if you have a login with one of a couple of universities in the UK, it's called bobnational.net :)
Last edited by bluebox-away on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

bluebox-away wrote:
oqua wrote:
You can only access the site if you have a login with one of a couple of universities in the UK, it's called bobnational.net :)
Oh wow. Well, thank you! You're doing the lord's work haha.
busy being happy~
majitzu
angel bean

Waaa i love you! I will totally watch it. Fetus Phil, long brown hair. Yeih!

Good night
gigs
dank meme

If we could see Phil's episode of the Weakest Link that would be incredible! We've literally been searching for it for years! That's amazing.

And I can't speak for other people, but personally I would be very excited if Phil expressed an interest in ballet. Probably disproportionally so. I'm thrilled whenever we get a chance to hear about things that Phil that don't fall in line with "traditional" roles.
DryCereal
koi pond

majitzu wrote:

Thanks felucca I feel so
YOU CAN'T SHAME ME LIKE THAT!!

IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted: